Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 4 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow 11365 Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 4 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow 11365 Mufflers

Okay, so today I finally did it. I went to a local exhaust shop and got raped. Well, more or less. I purchased two Magnaflow 11365 mufflers $170, along with some quad exhaust tips from SoCal-autosports $110, and went to an exhaust shop to have it installed $270 after tax. Needless to say, I spent way more than I thought originally.

Anyways, so as I'm driving away from the shop, my exhaust progresses towards reaching operating temperature. As I'm fairly aware, the closer my car gets to operating temperature, the more the exhaust transforms from rice burner, to rich-toned. As I'm driving I noticed that the level of drone is increasing as operating temperature is being obtained. After work, I decided to go on a long drive to start the break-in period of my exhaust.

All I can say is, "Wow". There is so much drone being emitted from my exhaust, into the cabin of my car it's crazy. The 2.5k-3k drone is so bad when driving around town (terrible with windows down, worse with windows up). Freeway driving is unbearable. As you ascend and descend up and down varying grades of hills, and as the engine load changes, so does the intensity of the drone.

What I liked most about my previous exhaust setup on this car (stage 4 exhaust, no other mods!!!) was the exhaust had a loud tone to it as you went up the RPM band. With the windows up, you could hear the exhaust tone, but there was virtually NO DRONE. Since I'm still setup with stage 4 exhaust, the only difference is the rear magnaflow mufflers, I would have expected the same characteristics from my old mufflers to transpire to the new ones. The difference between the two (I thought) would be that the magnaflows were much louder.

I'm actually shocked how much drone I experience now. I will give this setup a month for things to settle and break in. But something is going to have to change, whether than be insulating mats layed on the contours of the trunk and cabin of my car, or the addition of a resonator.

I still have my dynomax 24235 race bullet muffler, I'm just not ready to throw in the towel and have that installed (again) and not know if that is the correct direction to go with this issue I'm having.

Input would be greatly appreciated. I've done some research to better understand the problem I am having. I've found a specific type of resonator that is capped at the end to cancel out unwanted resonants, but, again, I'm not sure if that is the correct path I need to take.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I have crazy drone with the exact same setup.

In town I don't mind it too much but I have had passengers tell me it's rattling their brain and ask if something was wrong with my car.

Drives up long (not necessarily steep!) hills drives me crazy.

The exhaust compared to other exhausts is pretty quiet. The RV6 TD sounds like a much louder tone. This stage 4 with magnaflows you can barely hear at idle, and you get lots of drone driving.

Only reason why I haven't thrown a resonator on yet is because I don't want it quieter, just the drone gone.

Interested to hear what people say.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
A friend of mine had a magnaflow exhaust system in his H2 awhile back. The drone always drove me crazy.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Dynomax 24215 Resonator
Magnaflow 11365 Rear muffler x 2
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Magnaflows are very deep sounding, more of a bassy note than droning in my other experiences with them, I've only had them on my V8 cars, I have no mufflers out back and it's not crazy loud or anything. I think the mid muffler keeps the drone/rasp in check better than the rear ones, I'd put something small on the middle section. Magnaflows do break in cause the packing material will get denser, it's only gonna get louder.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
thats magnaflow for you. My friend had magnaflows on his car and i would never ride with him cause the drone was so loud inside. I could always hear his car coming from miles away too!

if it gets too annoying id say swap them out for something else.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to dig up old post. It's weird you are/were having so much drone. I almost want to go with this setup as I watched a video and the poster said he hardly had any drone. Did you end up changing the exhaust?