Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding advice

Can anyone with similar speeding can tell me what I'm facing beside the rape fine?
I was stopped by a state po-po in unmarked dark crown victoria at night for 110+ in 55 zone (that is exactly as ticket written) racing other guy in A4 2.0T (they didn't clock it cause I asked for evidence and he said it will be discussion between the judge and him) so I suspect no evidence. I've got 2 tickets - speeding and drag racing. I know I regretted later and was stupid, and Audi was a lucky biatch. I will get an attorney but did anyone with similar experience can tell me how bad it will be and what approximate the fine is along with consequences? What's crazy is that this is a 1st ticket for the past 7 years I'm driving and first in my TL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-18-2007, 01:02 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Going double the limit is gonna be a crazy fine and possibly even jail time.

:ibcartalk:
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
actually it's a surprise to see the cop didn't haul your ass to jail that night. So I'd say you got lucky. In the state of PA, the cop said going 25mph over the limit was jail time + suspension of license + fines. Going double, you got lucky.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
That drag racing line is going to be no picnic either. Sorry but it sucks to be you right now.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
drag racing and going triple digits... im surprised they didnt tow your car. people i know that get caught around here just racing, not even going above the speed limit get their car taken away.

good luck. you better have a damned good lawyer. most won't even take your case cause you dont have any reasonable cause to get out of it, a lawyer can only help you with some type of plea and make the process easier for you.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:13 AM
Instructor

i got caught a couple months back going 68 in a 25 (fake ass construction zone).... had a good lawyer, he mitigated, all i had to pay was a 365 dollars in a fine, no school, points etc,
first speeding ticket, but had a reckless a couple years back. Your clean 7 years should help out, but seeing at such a high rate of speed, prolly 3 points on your licese, maybe not, depends on the judge, also, you said he didnt clock you? thats very good, your innocent until proven guilty in this "country", no radar no hard proof, good lawyer, get it reduced good luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never gotten a ticket like yours, and my record is clean.

BUT I have a coworker who got nailed same as you, and he hired a good lawyer who argued that without a radar/laser printout the cop was only estimating your speed. He got off with a HUGE fine and EMORMOUS legal fees, but kept his license, no classes. Oh, and his insurance doubled too.

No matter what, it's going to cost you some body parts to get out of this and keep driving. I'm really surrpised that with your past tickets you're home telling us the story instead of standing in the chow line at Joliet Charm School.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
No proof makes you real lucky, but your ass is in trouble anyway. Lucky you aren't

in a cell. Some states have new laws, I just heard going 20 over in a 55 zone is an

automatic $1,000 fine. I think Va. Just heard on the news 15 minutes ago...
Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend got pulled over doing "109" in a 55. He was actually doing more like 139. The cop told him if he doubled the speed limit he would loose his license and spend time in jail. The cop said he was on his way home so he would give him a break this time. I don't know the rules out there but I think most are loss/suspension of license and or jail time.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Get a lawyer is all I can say. You do not want to fight this one alone. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

I actually got a ticket for doing 115mph in city limits which the speed limit is 55mph, showing off my Z to my cousin that lives in Columbia, SC. It was his first time in my car and at the time I just got my wheels and I/E. I was actually doing about at 135+! I'm not too sure but I was pretty close to shifting into 6th gear. My radar detector went off on full blast while I was in a curve and I slammed on the brakes. I threw white smoke in the air and then I seen blue light and I pulled over immediately. Cop came up to my drivers window and handed him my military I.D., drivers license and insurance. He took my stuff and didn't really say much. To be totally honest I was telling my cousin, the whole time..I'm about to go to jail. He came back with a ticket and my fine was almost 500 dollars. We was on the way to the pool hall and I was thinking to myself. What an expensive freaking day and you know I had to down a few cold ones....lol. The 10 years of street racing that I've been involve in and never got caught. I have to admit I was lucky. I dont' do it anymore and I'm more involve in legit racing. Like Autocrossing, Drag and Road racing! I know street racing isn't taken too lightly in court. Good Luck with your court case!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
No proof makes you real lucky, but your ass is in trouble anyway. Lucky you aren't

in a cell. Some states have new laws, I just heard going 20 over in a 55 zone is an

automatic $1,000 fine. I think Va. Just heard on the news 15 minutes ago...

You heard it right. The 1,000 fine is considered just a "Civil fee" so you'll have the $1K in addition to whatever the ticket fines and court fees add up to.

I'm just glad I only go back down to VA once a month or I'd probably to trade my TL-S in for a bicycle. VA also can give you up 1,000 fine for illegal window tint. I'm a little nervous about this one as I have 5% on my rears and 20% on the front.

In other words, avoid the damn state if at all possible.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Race Director

what expressway in Chicago? i can't even go past 80 mph because there are too many cars on the expressways and too much construction!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by southern_info
I actually got a ticket for doing 115mph in city limits which the speed limit is 55mph, showing off my Z to my cousin that lives in Columbia, SC. It was his first time in my car and at the time I just got my wheels and I/E. I was actually doing about at 135+! I'm not too sure but I was pretty close to shifting into 6th gear. My radar detector went off on full blast while I was in a curve and I slammed on the brakes. I threw white smoke in the air and then I seen blue light and I pulled over immediately. Cop came up to my drivers window and handed him my military I.D., drivers license and insurance. He took my stuff and didn't really say much. To be totally honest I was telling my cousin, the whole time..I'm about to go to jail. He came back with a ticket and my fine was almost 500 dollars. We was on the way to the pool hall and I was thinking to myself. What an expensive freaking day and you know I had to down a few cold ones....lol. The 10 years of street racing that I've been involve in and never got caught. I have to admit I was lucky. I dont' do it anymore and I'm more involve in legit racing. Like Autocrossing, Drag and Road racing! I know street racing isn't taken too lightly in court. Good Luck with your court case!

HAHA damn! where in cola were you?? on I-26/I-126 ?? damn i know exactly where those state troopers hang out all over columbia, i've almost been caught so many times.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 AM
08 type-s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i have to add myself to the list of dumb asses but just to give u and idea....i was clocked at 125mph racing my roommates evo8, i was given a summons to appear in court, the summons read "125+mph motor vehicle racing." But also i wasn't towed or arrested..... the cop kept telling how lucky i am he doesn't carry me to jail.... anyways back to the point, i went to court and the prosecutor wasn't to happy with me once he read the case.... He sat with me and my lawyer...we came to an agreement....it was reduced to misdemeanor speeding +85 in 45 i was given a $500 fine + another $500 donation to the city and 1 point to my license. Which i was very grateful, it could have been a lot worse....But at least i know it will never happen again....
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
what expressway in Chicago? i can't even go past 80 mph because there are too many cars on the expressways and too much construction!
Not hard to do, considering the right time and right location... I popped nearly 150MPH in my Camry on 294 going north somewhere between Ogden and a few mles short of O'Hare at 10:30 PM last Fall... Today I'll peg 120-125MPH about once/twice a month between Weber and 53, it's usually real early or late and there's nobody on the stretch when I do it.

As for the fines? That's an automatic court date, you couldn't get away with "just paying" that ticket if you wanted to... Anything over 30MPH over the limit is considered reckless driving, the speeding ticket is your last problem in this case.

I just got a ticket for the first time in 6-7 years myself, at least not one of those Cheddar Fines they bill you for up in the great state of Wisconsin, I've had a couple throughout the years... Wisconsin and Illinois have no "reciprocity" or something like that. My recent ticket was for 45 in a 30 on a street I regularly do 60-70... I like to wait until the last possible minute to leave the house and catch the train, so I look at this as more PAYING MY DUES for being able to speed in Illinois for the past 6-7 years!

At any rate, I have an optional court date tomorrow for my 45 in a 30 infraction... Rather than pay the fine, I'm just going to show up to court. I'll plead guilty and in my prior experience they'll drop the charge and drop $75 straight fine to $50 or less and give me 30 days supervision.

Wisconsin's finest getting me for doing like 4 1/2MPH over the limit!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I never speed in WI.

Is there a law in WI that you have to pay tickets on the spot? or is that a rumor... i could never tell
Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
1) Get a lawyer...a good one...a very good one.
2) Grab your ankles.
3) Learn an expensive lesson.

Don't worry, thousands of people go through this every year (fighting serious driving-related charges); I'm sure many people on here have at one time or another, too (you can count me as one of them). You'll get out of it, to a degree; it will cost you now and for the next few years; if you're smart, you won't do it again.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lusid
I never speed in WI.

Is there a law in WI that you have to pay tickets on the spot? or is that a rumor... i could never tell
No you can pay them later... However I did get one in Lake Geneva eons ago where they made me pay right then and there! It was for UNLAWFUL DISPLAY OF POWER in 1.5l chitbox! I dumped the clutch too hard and squealed like one turn of the tire on the white line leaving an intersection. WTF?

Oh you can get away with speeding in Wisconsin, you just need to know the hotspots and in both my recent cases with Wisconsin Troopers, I was off my well laid paths... In other words I was trying something new going a different route. Both tickets were really minor speeds, under 10MPH over the posted limit.

The upside though... I now know two more spots they like to stake out and have two new routes depending on where I'm going.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by lusid
I never speed in WI.

alright guys... heres the deal... if you are from IL and you get caught in Kenosha county (or southern) you pay it on the spot, or go to jail and write a check... same is true in IL for WI drivers... in some sort of feud with the different jurisdictions - so im told

in my case, i was doing 100 in a 45 (empty road - quit cryin) racin an eclipse (killed him by about a car and a half). the cop got me (what pisses me off is my radar was stolen a week earlier and i decided to "risk" it) he didnt get my for racin the eclipse because the clipse was behind me... got me for reckless and go me for imprudent speeds $700+ and all 12 points... in addition to the 4 i had for back in feb for a BS 13 over...

needless to say i lost my license. I got online looking for companies like ticketbuster.com (but the dont operate in WI) and finally got in touch with a lawyer. he took my case guaranteeing my license and said he could reopen my old four point ticket, reduce it to 0 (which he did, and as of now i have no points on my license as the court date has yet to come) and he is working on taking out the reckless driving and working a deal for the speed. I paid him $700 and another 200 if i dont have to take point reduction class - which ill get to later.

so if all goes as planned, i will get the reckless taken off and POSSIBLY the speed... but i doubt it... so i will definatley have to pay the fines, but i would rather just get it over with now then pay the same amount year after year until im 25 to the insurance company.

another little nugget of gold is if we can get the points down (which he said would be anywhere between 6-10 but learning towards 6-8 and i DONT have to do point reduction school, then sometime down the line i can take the class, and have 3 more points reduced, either putting me where i was at, or even lower... thats what im hoping for...

so basically ive paid twice the amount as the fine, but i wont have a rise, or at least we are working on that, in my premiums.

bottom line is get a lawyer and hope for the best good luck!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thevikas87
HAHA damn! where in cola were you?? on I-26/I-126 ?? damn i know exactly where those state troopers hang out all over columbia, i've almost been caught so many times.

I was actually on I-26 ...lol....heading towards downtown. I was probably about 3 or 4 miles from downtown. I could actually see skyscrapes from the curve I was pulled over on.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
In TX you pay $200 for going 10 over the speed limit and $5 each additional mile.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
94. After 10pm its not much traffic and there is always opening.
What sucks is that the next day and last night pretty much same time I was going 60-65mph in the same 55 zone and 90% cars were going 80 and I've seen bunch of EVO, Sti, GTO, Corvette, 911 TT, RS4 even freakin Corollas getting on it in excess of 100mph passing me like I was standing still and no cops and nobody was pulled over. Guess I'm lucky SOB and also my Valentine 1 was on with the night I described and not a freakin sound, so I assume he didn't clock me or have any video proof either.

Thanks everyone for a feedback . I will see the recommended attorney tomorrow who beat 2 DUI on my coworker and bunch of tripple digits speeding on the other.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Oh, yeah we don't have points in northern IL but I guess my insurance rate can go up but we'll see. The court date is end of August.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

here's some good advice....

DON'T DO IT AGAIN.

You already got a lawyer, so the only other advice i can give you, is to pray to God that the judge got lucky the day of your trial.

good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Call me crazy but intentionaly going 100mph in a 55 is just plain stupid..........
Old 07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Race Director

http://www.radarbusters.com/
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Call me crazy but intentionaly going 100mph in a 55 is just plain stupid..........
Didn't wanna say but since you did first...I agree.

Racing on public roadways is wreckless and extremely dangerous. Not that our members aren't all as good behind the wheel as Mario Andretti ....but ya never know what the guy in the next lane is going to do.

Saddest part is, many times the person that dies is the innocent driver who didn't see the racer coming up in the RVM at over 100 MPH. At that speed your car is a lethal weapon! Just ask any EMT or cop who has had to clean up the remains of the victims what the bodies look like after being in high-speed collisions.

I truly hope the OP learned a lesson and quits behaving so irresponsibly. I'd hate to meet you with your front bumper up my ass on one of the Chicago area roads I drive daily. Wanna have some high-speed fun in your car? Go to the track, where you'll only kill yourself when you fuck up. Please.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Pro

^^^
Forgive me for ranting...

my daughter was rearended last week by some asshole who was racing. BENT her SUV in half upwards, and she's in the hospital now. She is ok, but VERY banged up, a few broken ribs and one leg, and several plastic surgeries and eye surgeries later.

This shit just aint funny. Period. Slow the fuck down.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
^^^

my daughter was rearended last week by some asshole who was racing. BENT her SUV in half upwards, and she's in the hospital now. She is ok, but VERY banged up, a few broken ribs and one leg, and several plastic surgeries and eye surgeries later.

Wow that sucks I hope the guy gets whats coming to him. Sorry to hear about your daughter I hope she will be alright.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I have gone on about 50 trips to Wisconsin and always do about 10 over in the 65 zone.

Never got a ticket for that. But I did get a $204 fine for doing 84 in a 65. I had to pay cash

on the spot or go downtown. I had extra cash because I was going up north. It was in

Racine Wisc. CheeseHeads !!!

I wasn't racing, I was trying to get out of the fast lane but the asshole next to me kept speeding up or slowing down so I couldn't get over, finally I floored it and got over, thats exactly where the Barney was
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

your ass should be in jail
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

you're lucky all you have is a lawyer fee and a fee for the ticket...and not a multi million dollar lawsuit that will end your LIFE paying it off, on the account of the fact that you could've killed someone
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gauravp123
your ass should be in jail
I've learned my lesson, but don't play an asshole. As mentioned I've never had any speeding tickets for the past 7 years, I wasn't lucky this time and would never speed up in presence of law enforcement. Unfortunately, I ran into unmarked trooper and now face the consequences. Stupid to go over 100mph at night but I've seen many do it and just was unlucky this time. You can run fast in autobahn in Germany but here your toast.

Carry on.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what a lawyer will do you for since..

1) You were street racing
2) You admitted it on here
3) You were going 2x the speed limit

In Cali that qualifies you for a free ticket to jail and car being impounded.. also at that speed and street racing here you'd most likely have a suspended license for 6 - 12 months and have multiple points added to your record.

Fines vary state to state of course; typical setup in California is a base price plus a defined amount per MPH over the limit.

Having a family member being a CHP Seargeant is difficult.. I get so much shit for not having a front license plate i'd hate to see what happens for getting a reckless driving driving AND street racing ticket.

I really don't have any advice to give you; you sorta sealed your fate on this one sorry =/
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
You'll lose your license, it just depends for how long. I'd be worried about the racing ticket. As everyone else has said, find a good traffic lawyer.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Advanced

I got my first ticket doing 93 in my Saturn SC2 in, I believe, a 65 zone in Mass. The officer wrote me down at 87. That was pretty much the only time I was purposefully speeding. Well, I did 90 again in Seattle in the same car when I accidentally got on the closed off tail end the I90 bridge and I knew the road would be dead empty.

Since then, I've avoided tickets by not speeding, on purpose anyway. (I have two other tickets due to being careless, 10 mph over when I didn't realize the speed zone changed.)

Besides, after attending Skip Barber Racing School, I've learned that taking corners at a nice clip is a lot more fun than going fast in a straight line.

Anyway, good luck with your lawyer, and slow down, please, for the safety of yourself and everyone else on the road.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Wow that sucks I hope the guy gets whats coming to him. Sorry to hear about your daughter I hope she will be alright.
Thanks for the kind wishes, TRACKRUNNER. I'll pass them on to my daughter. She's doing remarkably well and should make a full recovery, since there were no complications. Plastic surgeons promise no scars, the broken leg was a clean break, and the ribs are healing up well. The eye is also healing just fine after they removed the glass that wound up under her eyelid. No permanent damage. So all things considered, she was extremely lucky.

The guy who hit her is not doing quite as well. Aside from getting 4 big dollar tickets, he's suffering from spinal injuries as well as some broken bones. They won't tell us too much about him other than the fact that he was driving on a suspended license (having lost his for multiple previous speeding tickets). He also totalled his dad's '05 BMW 740i in the crash.

To the OP....I am glad you realize this is not cool, and believe you when you say you've learned from your incident. Going 10 or 20 MPH over the speed limit when there's plenty of open road around you, or with the flow of traffic is one thing most of us have been guilty of, including myself. But racing on public roads is just nuts. Too many variables, too many unknowns, and face it...not enough experience can cause catastrophies. I apologize once again for ranting. My only excuse is that that your post appeared while my family is experiencing the consequences of reckless automotive behaviour. I really did not mean to give you personally a rash of shit, it just came out that way.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
^^^

Burbs...I don't think you have a reason to apologize for ranting and expressing your opinion. I'm with you man, I love to go fast as I'm sure most of us do. But it's one thing to go faster than the posted speed and it's another to be racing on the fucking highway. What others do with their lives is their business, when it involves indangering myself or my family it's my business. I lost my girl when I was 16 and we were hit by a drunk driver (his 3rd fucking offense and was driving without a license) so I don't have much sympathy for assholes who drive without a care in the world, and then when they do get busted you hear them whining about how their insurance is going to go through the roof or they complain about the fines/points etc.

In the end I have to agree. If you want to race, I'm with you let's take it to the track. Stay off the damn streets!

Burbs...send your daughter my best wishes for a healthy speedy recovery!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by chirik
I've learned my lesson, but don't play an asshole. As mentioned I've never had any speeding tickets for the past 7 years, I wasn't lucky this time and would never speed up in presence of law enforcement. Unfortunately, I ran into unmarked trooper and now face the consequences. Stupid to go over 100mph at night but I've seen many do it and just was unlucky this time. You can run fast in autobahn in Germany but here your toast.

Carry on.

Not to rant anymore than we all already have.. but not having any tickets in the past 7 years only means you didn't caught. I'm sure you were still out there putting other peoples lifes at risk with your careless driving.

Quick Reply: Speeding advice