Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the a-spec worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the a-spec worth it?

I can get the aspec for 35,800 and get the the regular one for 30,200, without navi. what do you guys think? is the aspec really worth it? or should i just the the regular one and mod it myself with the left over 5,600 i wll save from not gettin the aspec
Old 05-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Shift_faster

It depends. I'll offer both sides of the coin. A-Spec offers factory warranted mods. It might seem expensive (and for a suspension and appearance package it is slightly expensive). But, if you ended up doing all of that yourself, (w/ aftermarket parts) it would probably end up being in the same price range.

Aftermarket wheels, springs, shocks, OEM kit, etc. will add up to around that price tag. Except it is not warranted by Acura. The good thing about aftermarket is you get two sets of wheels, springs, shocks, while w/ the A-Spec, they don't give you your stock wheels, springs, shocks, and steering wheel (I would love it if they did though...maybe I'm the only one).

If you have the cash for it, and won't think about spending that $5-6K day and night...go for it. But don't think going aftermarket is really going to save you much...
Old 05-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wish cars were priced like that in CA...

Sounds like you have a chance to view them both together and hopefully drive them both. Do you like how it drives? The firmer ride is not for everyone. Another big question is do you like all of the pieces of the package? If you don't like the aero kit or the wheels, then there's not much sense getting the kit. If you do like everything, then getting everything together out the gate and financed with the car is pretty nice. $5800 for kit+install seems a little on the high side (kit is on ebay for <4K) but I've seen worse quotes. However, the total car price seems very good.

I am clearly biased, but I do think it is worth it.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Tell It Like It Is!!!!

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
It depends. I'll offer both sides of the coin. A-Spec offers factory warranted mods. It might seem expensive (and for a suspension and appearance package it is slightly expensive). But, if you ended up doing all of that yourself, (w/ aftermarket parts) it would probably end up being in the same price range.

Aftermarket wheels, springs, shocks, OEM kit, etc. will add up to around that price tag. Except it is not warranted by Acura. The good thing about aftermarket is you get two sets of wheels, springs, shocks, while w/ the A-Spec, they don't give you your stock wheels, springs, shocks, and steering wheel (I would love it if they did though...maybe I'm the only one).

If you have the cash for it, and won't think about spending that $5-6K day and night...go for it. But don't think going aftermarket is really going to save you much...
Dude.. I don't understand why you tell people such BULLSHIT!!!

you many want to visit the 1/2 Aspec thread for more info.

ASPEC = approx $4500-6000 depending on the dealership

if you're looking for the ASPEC look and don't want to pay the ridiculous price.

OEM kit = $900 including shipping on the net from Acura Dealerships. These products are warranteed and will not void the warrantee on the car. Realistically there is nothing that could really go wrong with them, and there really isn't any problems that should arise from installing this yourself or by someone other than your local dealership.

ASPEC 18" I got mine for a deal at $1500 for wheels and tires. I got my tires at Discount Tires... Yokohama ES100's

Comptech springs - $250 from Comptech. install will maybe cost $100-$200 depending on where you take it. Dealerships will charge 6hrs of labor totaling around $500 for install. If you use Comptech most dealerships who sell Comptech will honor your cars warrantee as it applies to suspension just b/c Compech is a proven product for Hondas/Acuras. Installing springs is pretty easy, so there really isn't anything that could go wrong. So don't let people scare you. This will lower the car at least 1" all the way unlike the ASPEC which has been rumored to lower the car anywhere from .5" to .8" The ASPEC set up may improve overall handling as compared to stock, however the ASPEC suspension is a combination of the upgraded springs/shocks and the rims/tires. I've driven an ASPEC a few times, and honestly with the combination there is an improvement but nominal at best compared to my TL with only the 18s when that was my set up. For a 1" drop... camber kit is not necessary, and neither are new shocks. if you wanted a more severe drop like the Eibachs (1.5") then a camber kit is definitely necessary and new shocks might be advisable. Remember... Comptech engineers specifically for Honda/Acura.

Decklid spoiler = $299 + shipping.

MY GRAND TOTAL was = $2950 compared to almost double that.

PM me and I will tell you where I got everything.

Lastly, if you wanted to get truly aftermarket everything... then of course it could cost you more than 6K... Hell why not $15K...

HELL go find yourself some $5K rims... that will make sure it costs more than the ASPEC upgrade.

PS. you get a blue stitched steering when and a 1/2" by 4" ASPEC badge.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Oh yeah... and since I had my stock 17's still... I sold those for $1000 so that drops my whole total to just under 2K... what a deal!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Instructor

In my opinion it does nothing for the car so I would say it is definitely not worth it for me.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by silvermullet
Dude.. I don't understand why you tell people such BULLSHIT!!!
Not sure why you keep getting upset. I tell the guy if he wants aftermarket springs, shocks, wheels, and the OEM kit, it will come to around that price. Decent wheels that I've been looking at cost around 2.5K w/ tires. You add in springs and shocks, and the body kit for $835.90 (from h-o-n-d-a-a-c-u-r-a-.-c-o-m), good place from what I have heard) and you are reaching the A-Spec price. You are not arguing with me about that...you did say that it would come to around $6K or even $15K for ALL aftermarket parts.

I didn't say A-Spec was for everyone, or else I would have bought it. When I looked at it, it cost too much for me, because I wasn't WILLING to spend that much. As I said earlier, if you can and will spend that much, then go ahead. There is something to be said for OEM parts, because Acura stands by them. Comptech makes great springs, yes but they are not Acura. It's not so much quality as it is the warranty behind it. I would rather have an Acura warranty than one from Comptech. That said, I was looking into springs from Comptech as you did, and I decided to wait for an adjustable coilover kit that is being developed by Tein. That will be over $1K itself, but I think its worth it. Feel free to argue if that is worth it or not. IMO, it is.

You are welcome to ignore me though...
Old 05-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silvermullet does bring up good points, and not just an alternative way to modify your car. Does the $5800 (which I'll again say is high) include you keeping the old parts? If not, it would be a deal breaker for me. You can get the kit from ebay for $3700, which I think is competitive pricewise with anything that is going to come from the aftermarket (for equivalent parts and quality). Silvermullet got good deals and spent $3000 - no shocks, not steering wheel, and no sexy chrome A-spec badge. He was honest about what he wanted and got it, and saved some $$ to boot. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Advanced

I'm not sure about the rest of the A-Spec owners, but I got all of the factory parts when i took delivery of my car (rims/tires, rocker panels, suspension, steering wheel, etc).

Is it worth the price? That depends on the person. I was very hesitant to spend the money and was regretting it after making the deal. Now that I have the car, I KNOW I would have been sorry if I didn't get it. For me, it was well worth it. Swapping springs will lower the car, but I think the revalved shocks are an important part of the package.

For those that say the A-Spec package doesn't make much difference in the car, I wonder how much time you have spent in one. It was a night and day difference to me.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Racer

only bad thing about the A-spec is the rims! Why cant the stock 17's come in 18 dammit!!!! :enforcer: Damn 18's are ugly!!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
the cost benefit ratio is slim to none
Old 05-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Not sure why you keep getting upset. I tell the guy if he wants aftermarket springs, shocks, wheels, and the OEM kit, it will come to around that price. Decent wheels that I've been looking at cost around 2.5K w/ tires. You add in springs and shocks, and the body kit for $835.90 (from h-o-n-d-a-a-c-u-r-a-.-c-o-m), good place from what I have heard) and you are reaching the A-Spec price. You are not arguing with me about that...you did say that it would come to around $6K or even $15K for ALL aftermarket parts.

I didn't say A-Spec was for everyone, or else I would have bought it. When I looked at it, it cost too much for me, because I wasn't WILLING to spend that much. As I said earlier, if you can and will spend that much, then go ahead. There is something to be said for OEM parts, because Acura stands by them. Comptech makes great springs, yes but they are not Acura. It's not so much quality as it is the warranty behind it. I would rather have an Acura warranty than one from Comptech. That said, I was looking into springs from Comptech as you did, and I decided to wait for an adjustable coilover kit that is being developed by Tein. That will be over $1K itself, but I think its worth it. Feel free to argue if that is worth it or not. IMO, it is.

You are welcome to ignore me though...
Your and idiot b/c you keep giving people the wrong information or just what you think in your head to try and justify why you spent an extra 20% for your car. for something that I spend less that 2K for. I don't see how that = roughly same price as ASPEC.

AGAIN.. to get it thru your head.. I ONLY SPENT $1950 for my set up which the same if not better than yours.

And I think that it was really smart for you drop $6K and then go for an upgrade to a COILOVER KIT for $1k.... UH THATS NOT ACURA, and whose gonna stall it... I think you'll void your warranty... with Tein for sure.

and here is a question for you... Do you think that just b/c the ASPEC springs/shocks are offered by ACURA.. that they are actually manufactured by ACURA? I give you more credit than that... maybe more than you deserve.

Read carefully. Installing comptech will realistically not void the car's warranty. Dealerships sell and in many cases endorse Comptech as a valid aftermarket product to the factory parts. Realistically.. there isn't much that can go wrong anyway with suspension...

I hate people like you who give the wrong information to people who are honestly looking for a fair and objective view point and some information to help them make a nonregrettable decision.

Guys like you just say.. "YEAH ITS COOL... its a little expensive but I would get' Thats just a stupid way of trying make yourself seem like a baller to imply that you can afford such premiums.

having money is cool... spending it wisely is cooler. There is a time to finance and a time to spend the cash. Dropping that much money on a depreciating asset is assnine.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aegir
Silvermullet does bring up good points, and not just an alternative way to modify your car. Does the $5800 (which I'll again say is high) include you keeping the old parts? If not, it would be a deal breaker for me. You can get the kit from ebay for $3700, which I think is competitive pricewise with anything that is going to come from the aftermarket (for equivalent parts and quality). Silvermullet got good deals and spent $3000 - no shocks, not steering wheel, and no sexy chrome A-spec badge. He was honest about what he wanted and got it, and saved some $$ to boot. Nothing wrong with that.
Aegir...

despite our disagreements elsewhere.. I appreciate it.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kazuaki
For those that say the A-Spec package doesn't make much difference in the car, I wonder how much time you have spent in one. It was a night and day difference to me.
ASPEC vs. BONE STOCK = night and day difference

ASPEC vs. STOCK with ASPEC 18's = night and 'mid-night to maybe couple hours before dawn' difference.

The stock tires are bouncy and more touring than anything. V-rated but not a performance tire. Upgrade to 18's and you will get a stiffer ride, more road noise, and better lateral movement considering the contact patch for the tire is much bigger.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Shift_faster

Your and idiot b/c you keep giving people the wrong information or just what you think in your head to try and justify why you spent an extra 20% for your car. for something that I spend less that 2K for. I don't see how that = roughly same price as ASPEC.

AGAIN.. to get it thru your head.. I ONLY SPENT $1950 for my set up which the same if not better than yours.

And I think that it was really smart for you drop $6K and then go for an upgrade to a COILOVER KIT for $1k.... UH THATS NOT ACURA, and whose gonna stall it... I think you'll void your warranty... with Tein for sure.

and here is a question for you... Do you think that just b/c the ASPEC springs/shocks are offered by ACURA.. that they are actually manufactured by ACURA? I give you more credit than that... maybe more than you deserve.

Read carefully. Installing comptech will realistically not void the car's warranty. Dealerships sell and in many cases endorse Comptech as a valid aftermarket product to the factory parts. Realistically.. there isn't much that can go wrong anyway with suspension...

I hate people like you who give the wrong information to people who are honestly looking for a fair and objective view point and some information to help them make a nonregrettable decision.

Guys like you just say.. "YEAH ITS COOL... its a little expensive but I would get' Thats just a stupid way of trying make yourself seem like a baller to imply that you can afford such premiums.

having money is cool... spending it wisely is cooler. There is a time to finance and a time to spend the cash. Dropping that much money on a depreciating asset is assnine.
$2500 Wheels + $900 Bodykit + $250 Springs + ~$300 (when the Koni's come out) Shocks + $500 Installation = $4,450. That is not including the install of the Bodykit, if you have the capacity to do it, it is a bolt-on affair so not included. I've heard of people getting A-Spec installed for that much.

I don't have the A-Spec kit. Yet, I want to upgrade my suspension. I would like to do it springs AND shocks which are currently not available (Koni might be coming out with shocks soon). I am willing to spend $1K on Tein.

Whether Comptech will void your warranty is dependent on your dealer. You might have a more forgiving dealer. Whether the A-spec springs/shocks are manufactured by Acura is secondary compared to the fact Acura will stand by them regardless. That was what I was talking about.

Realistically, there isn't that much that could go wrong w/ the suspension? Anything can go wrong, that is why there are warranties.

I must be a baller for putting things in perspective about what people can "reasonably" expect to pay for certain things. You did get a good deal, I'm not arguing that. By me saying, going aftermarket will not save you much, must mean I have plenty of money to waste.

I'll also assume you meant to say dropping that kind of money on a depreciable asset is ASININE. Thanks for your opinion, I do appreciate an opposing viewpoint.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Your and idiot
:lol1:
Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Advanced

$2500 Wheels + $900 Bodykit + $250 Springs + ~$300 (when the Koni's come out) Shocks + $500 Installation = $4,450. That is not including the install of the Bodykit, if you have the capacity to do it, it is a bolt-on affair so not included. I've heard of people getting A-Spec installed for that much.

I don't have the A-Spec kit. Yet, I want to upgrade my suspension. I would like to do it springs AND shocks which are currently not available (Koni might be coming out with shocks soon). I am willing to spend $1K on Tein.

Whether Comptech will void your warranty is dependent on your dealer. You might have a more forgiving dealer. Whether the A-spec springs/shocks are manufactured by Acura is secondary compared to the fact Acura will stand by them regardless. That was what I was talking about.

Realistically, there isn't that much that could go wrong w/ the suspension? Anything can go wrong, that is why there are warranties.

I must be a baller for putting things in perspective about what people can "reasonably" expect to pay for certain things. You did get a good deal, I'm not arguing that. By me saying, going aftermarket will not save you much, must mean I have plenty of money to waste.

I'll also assume you meant to say dropping that kind of money on a depreciable asset is ASININE. Thanks for your opinion, I do appreciate an opposing viewpoint.
STFU with your stupid spelling corrections... thats straight out GAY... opposing viewpoints are just that... just make sure you've got more common sense and facts to back it up.

So here is my question... WHAT ARE YOU ARGUING? You don't have an ASPEC. You don't have any ASPEC parts.... If you're going to get TEIN coilovers... obviously youre not stupid enough to get ASPEC later. Obviously you don't think its worth the money, otherwise you'd have it. Right?

I know what my point is... save money b/c the factory ASPEC for the factory price isn't worth it... and I think I've done a pretty good job of illustrating how you can get the same parts for much less and the benefits of doing it that way.

WHAT IS YOURS?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by William_B
:lol1:
hahahah i dun get it why does silvermullet get so worked up when someone is considering the a-spec kit. if you don't think its worth it that's fine. your reasoning is clear and i can understand your point. but you make it seems as tho anyone that gets the kit from the dealer is mentally challenged. sure its cheaper to get aftermarket equipment or purchase the same parts yourself and install them. but for someone who does not want to go that route and wants it off the factory with the a-spec kit then maybe that's the solution for them. so much anger dude.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Shift_faster

Read post # 8. Second paragraph. I guess you didn't catch the fact that yes, I didn't have A-Spec.

I'm not arguing that A-Spec is the be-all end-all. My first post in this thread states that I was presenting two sides of a coin. The pros and the cons. You seem to be saying that anyone who buys an A-Spec is either stupid, or has way too much money.

That is what I'm arguing against. I do agree with you that "opposing points are just that"...yeah...they are. I also think you have illustrated your points very well. Would you like a medal?

All I'm saying is that there are two sides to everything. Don't come to the table saying, "This is what I did, consider it the only way." A-Spec can be worth it in certain situations, (i.e. you like the whole package, you don't want to waste time looking for parts that fit, and you can include it in the purchase price so you can finance that amount along w/ the car.)

Aftermarket parts can be worth it as well. As my first post clearly states. Maybe there is no use having this discussion, and perhaps you are right in saying "your and idiot."
Old 05-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I just have the cosmetic A-spec components (exterior only minus the decklid spoiler) and I absolutely love all the looks I get on the road -- this package DEFINITELY makes your TL more distinct and aggressive, and must more unique now that there are tons of '04 TL's on the road. I even get looks from other 04 TL owners w/o the A-spec exterior package. It's definitely worth the $2000.00 just for the exterior (rims, tires, bodykit) ... I'll never go back!
Old 05-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

At the end of the day, my humble opinion is: what is your time worth?

Embedded solution( Expedited, Warranty recognized), or piece meal ( what works best for me and my situation )... screw the drop get me some Koni's.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:39 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Yes!

Whether A-SPEC is worth-it depends only on whether you have the cash...

If you have the cash...it's a lot of fun and worth every penny

If you will be eating Top Ramin for a year because of A-SPEC...save your money

Sounds like you are getting a great deal to me!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I might have been interested had I been able to just get shocks/springs, but only after a test drive. I will say that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I've got cured some of the jounciness of the stock car, and certainly steering response and road feel is much improved; I don't think you need 18's to get some significant improvements in the tire department.

The spoilers I can live without. I think the car looks better without them.

Mike
Old 05-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by William_B
In my opinion it does nothing for the car so I would say it is definitely not worth it for me.
Ditto! The car looks great without the a spec, and it almost looks like theres already a kit on the stock model. This a spec thing is pretty silly, but some people just have to be different, to be noticed, to be cooler, to have that little badge on the back of their TL that will only impress a few other guys on the road. Go figure. Seems like a huge amount of money for very little performance improvement. Oh, but you do get brembo brake dust on your wheels!

I'd say springs, better tires and possibly another suspension mod would be the way to go if you really need to drive that aggressively, but for my money just putting some sticky rubber on this car will increase the fun factor 100%. I love my MIchelin Pilots.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

STFU with your stupid spelling corrections... thats straight out GAY... opposing viewpoints are just that... just make sure you've got more common sense and facts to back it up.
Silvermullet has my vote for biggest jackass on the site right now. What is wrong with this guy? Corrrection...he's the biggest homophobic jackass on the website.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Instructor

It is worth it, if you want it. Bottom line.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Instructor

how bout yes and know some parts i like some i dont, mine looks better
Old 05-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acuraddict
Silvermullet has my vote for biggest jackass on the site right now. What is wrong with this guy? Corrrection...he's the biggest homophobic jackass on the website.
Agreed. And he obviously has lots of time on his hands to vent his anger in forums and go searching for parts piecemeal. I don't. If I want A-Spec I'll buy it from the dealer. :grenade: