Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-spec questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-spec questions

Curry Acura (they sell A-spec kit in eBay for $3800) claims that the 18" wheels weight 13 lbs each. Can anyone confirm this. I'm no expert on wheels but I think this is unheard of, virtually all 17"/18" wheels (affordable ones) I've seen are in the 17 - 24 lbs range.

Also, anyone know if this A-spec wheel/Yokohama tire is same as the "optional " 18" wheel/Hi-perf tire from dealer?
A-spec spring same as Comptech "Sport Spring"?
If not, what are the differences? Which is better?
Appreciate any replies. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:43 AM
8th Gear

I use to be in the wheel business and there is no way that those wheels weigh 13 lbs. I just weighed a wheel with a 235/40/18 Yokohama and it weighed 48lbs. Then I weighed a tire and it was 24lbs. Do the math. I would say approx. 24lbs.

The 18" wheel and tire package is the same offered by the dealer that is in the A spec.

The a A spec package includes springs and shocks. Comptech is just springs. I heard that the spring being used on the Aspec is not the same as the comptech spring. I have not done a side by side track comparison with the two, but everyday driving I feel that the Comptech springs are just as good and has a little better ride quality. I have driven both. The Acura tech who installed my springs has driven the A spec cars and my car with the comptech springs, says he likes mine better. He says that mine has a better ride and handles better.

I have the body kit, the Acura 18's and different tires than the dealer is installing. I have Bridgestone S03's. I love the way it rides and handles.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by imareck
I use to be in the wheel business and there is no way that those wheels weigh 13 lbs. I just weighed a wheel with a 235/40/18 Yokohama and it weighed 48lbs. Then I weighed a tire and it was 24lbs. Do the math. I would say approx. 24lbs.

The 18" wheel and tire package is the same offered by the dealer that is in the A spec.

The a A spec package includes springs and shocks. Comptech is just springs. I heard that the spring being used on the Aspec is not the same as the comptech spring. I have not done a side by side track comparison with the two, but everyday driving I feel that the Comptech springs are just as good and has a little better ride quality. I have driven both. The Acura tech who installed my springs has driven the A spec cars and my car with the comptech springs, says he likes mine better. He says that mine has a better ride and handles better.

I have the body kit, the Acura 18's and different tires than the dealer is installing. I have Bridgestone S03's. I love the way it rides and handles.
Thanks for your info. Just curious, since you were in the wheel business, what is the lightest 18" wheel you've seen?
Comptech also confirmed by email that their spring set is not the same as A-spec's, but both lowers the car by 1".
You have a nice combo for your car, this is what I like to have for mine too. Sounds like your shocks are stock? If so, it makes sense that your car rides better, but also handles better than the A-spec TL's with track tuned shocks?! Mine came with the body kit & wing spoiler, will get the Brembo's & drilled/slotted rotors (I have 5AT) & most likely I'll get the comptech springs since you can't buy part of A-spec kit.
I like the A-spec wheels with Acura logo, but now that you've mentioned, it is kind of heavy at 24 lbs, I prefer 18" wheels around 17 - 18 lbs, do you know any? The lightest wheel I saw is the SSR competition, but appears not avail in 18", the 17x8 weights 14.5 lbs, avail in Anthracite (same color as my TL) or Silver, both looks pretty good, cost $359 ea at Tirerack. One last question, is it possible to buy the Acura hub-caps & install on those after market wheels?
Thanks again.