Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

something hit my windshield and left a mark

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something hit my windshield and left a mark

I was driving on a surface street approx 25-30 mph and i hear a loud sound like something hitting my windshield. So I look around and see that something did hit it right below the tinted area on the drivers side. I try to wipe it off and most of it did come off, but there seems to be some brown stuff left on it. it doesn't seem to be chipped or damaged, maybe a little rough.

Does anyone have any idea what this is or what I can do about it?

Not the best picture, but u can see 2 slightly discolored areas. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crap, i forgot the name of it but i got it at walmart and that looks small enough like you can fix it yourself. its in the autosection and i think it was in an orange and black box.. it states on the box its form germany and its called like acryilic glass fix or whatever. its by the rest of the glass fix/scratch fix stuff. its the most expensive one.. lol its like 14 and the rest are like 7 so yeah.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
05' AT SSM

Hard to tell from the picture if its a surface scratch or if its just a rubbing of whatever fell on your car.

You try a cleaner wax or light rubbing compound? I had luck using this on my car after a wind storm and seemed to work good without scratching the surface.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

its smooth to the touch if i go over with my finger, but if i used my nail, it seems to be slightly scratched. However, i don't know how a scratch will retain that nasty color...

thanks for the suggestion ecliptics. does anyone else have ideas for me to consider?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Driven to Perfection

I'd try to rub a razorblade on it, see if it can scratch off... if not, it sounds like a chip.

I got one today too. Damn rock haulers! My comp. insurance policy covers windshield chips - free repair. They'd much rather pay Safelite $30 for a repair than get a $400-$500 claim on a new windshield because that little chip turned into a huge crack. My insurance made an appt for me - getting repaired today. It shouldn't count against your insurance rating to file this sort of claim. Call your insurance.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a ding? personally, who cares in my opinion, but if it bothers you, get it fixed via some sort of filler; shouldn't be toooooo expensive. Probably better that you do, since you're running the risk of it actually cracking...then of course you'll be needing a new windshield......booo
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by KjDsider
its smooth to the touch if i go over with my finger, but if i used my nail, it seems to be slightly scratched. However, i don't know how a scratch will retain that nasty color...

thanks for the suggestion ecliptics. does anyone else have ideas for me to consider?
use vinegar, that should clean it off, if not, try detailing clay.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
this happen to me on Monday, going about 20-25 mph, suddenly I heard a sound, it turns out of nowhere a rock just hit the windshield. small crack and looks like a black spot on it. Well wasted no time called the insurance company, went to Safelite and got it fixed no charge. Now its hard to see if anything was ever there.. bottom line is get it fixed ASAP, or else it will get bigger..
Old 06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Most insurance companies pay 100% of the fee for windshield repair with no deductable. it may be worthh your time to go to a winshield repair shop to see it it needs repairing.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Something, something, yes

If it's somewhat gooey when you try to clean it, use WD-40. Spray it on the glass and it'll take it right off.

Back in college when I had an Exploder I was on the highway and someone went onto the shoulder into fresh oil and splattered it all over my windshield. Stuff wouldn't come off with regular window cleaner or windex, and the dealer suggested WD-40.

If it's a cheap or gouge, then obviously my suggestion won't work...
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looked at it again last night and I'm leaning more towards it being a big scratch of the glass. There's no cracks or anything from what I can tell, but it seems to be very very shallow scratch, and its somehow not clear anymore.

I'll probably take it to a glass shop to see what it is when I have time. I believe it's not too much of a risk given there's no cracks.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
2006 Acura TL

Originally Posted by KjDsider
I was driving on a surface street approx 25-30 mph and i hear a loud sound like something hitting my windshield. So I look around and see that something did hit it right below the tinted area on the drivers side. I try to wipe it off and most of it did come off, but there seems to be some brown stuff left on it. it doesn't seem to be chipped or damaged, maybe a little rough.

Does anyone have any idea what this is or what I can do about it?

Not the best picture, but u can see 2 slightly discolored areas. Thanks for the help.
"I SEE DEAD PEOPLE"