Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions about the TL...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions about the TL...

I opened up the hood with the engine running for the first time today and I was surprised how loud it was. First of all, there seem to be this clicking or ticking sound that I never heard in cars before. Well, I don't know much about cars but I thought it was pretty loud. Is that normal?

Compared to my family member's Accord V6 and LS430, the TL was the loudest one of all. I thought the TL and the Accord should sound very simlar, but it was different.

Don't get me wrong--with the hood down, TL's engine sounds very nice. And when I'm driving, I could barely hear the engine unless I really step on the gas. And I love the deep throaty sound of the engine and the exhaust.

But with the hood opened, why does it seem like it sounds worse than my previous cars: Civic, Prelude, and Impreza. I think its even worse than my younger brother's Altima. Is there a way to record sound and share that? I really wish some of you "experts" can hear the sound and tell me if there is something wrong. I heard once that a good mechanic can tell just by listening to the engine.

Anyways, any opinions regarding the noise?

Second question... how do I use the trunk cargo net with the cargo tray inside? I don't see how both cargo tray and cargo net can be used at the same time unless I make holes on the tray which then defeats the whole purpose of having a tray.

Third question. Why is the turning radius so bad? Its like impossible to do u-turns. I was trying to do a u-turn on a five lane road--two on each side and one in the middle for turns--and the TL couldn't make it. I had to do a 3-point u-turn in the middle of an intersection. It was so embarrasing!

Lastly, I have a suggestion not a question about gas mileage. After owning the TL for just about a week, I couldn't believe how bad the gas mileage was. It stayed at 17mpg and wouldn't get any better. Then I decided to reset the stupid thing. After driving the car for a day, it showed average of 22mpg and 32mph which is MUCH better than 17mpg. yay~!
Old 12-19-2004, 01:05 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I will let some of the more experienced gurus on this board answer your first question, as the TL is the only Honda engined car that I have owned. As for the cargo tray, there should be no problem in cross-slitting within the little circles to allow the net anchors to poke through. I did it and installed the nets. Unless you poured a couple of quarts of water in the tray you shouldn't get any moisture leaking through. The turning circle is a bit large probably because of two things (a) most front wheel drive cars have larger turning radii than rear wheel drive cars because of the drive/turning geometry, and (b) The TL has double wishbone front suspension rather than McPherson struts like most other FWD cars. At least that's my unexpert take on it. Don't worry about the fuel consumpion. It will improve lots. I am averaging 26 mpg after 3300 miles. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:13 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i too hear that clicking sound. i actually didnt notice it until a couple of nights ago when my friends were lookin at the car. i popped the hood while the engine was running and it was ticking....

chances are, if you have it and i have it... maybe other tl owners have it too and its normal. lets cross our fingers and hope its nothing bad.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
About 2nd Q: Search GARAGE, or https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...82#post1070382

What's clicking sound? When does it happen?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:55 AM

when i start my engine, and ipop my hood, its a clicking sound coming from the engine.

it may only be happeneing when the engine is cold. its a weird ticking/clicking noise.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I think the clicking sound are the injectors firing.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Treblig
I think the clicking sound are the injectors firing.
never heard em that loud on any other cars though....
Old 12-19-2004, 03:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really know anything about the TL's, but the first thing I thought about when I read about the clicking noise was that it was probably the fuel injectors that you are hearing. I know I can hear the injectors on my Cobra.

Brian
Old 12-19-2004, 03:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,261 Likes on 2,632 Posts
I believe the turning radius is bad because of the large tires (235/45-17) in a tight fender well. Although that combination looks great for the 3rd gen TL's styling it also limits the maximum amount of angle the wheels can turn. The designers have to take into account the full suspension travel, and fender clerance when determining the maximum steering angle.

My wife's Honda Pilot is a similar wheel base to the TL also has drive shafts to the front wheels but is 3+ feet tighter turning radius, but has much larger fender clearance.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every Acura that I've owned has the turning radius issue. It's not something that I like, but you'll get used to it as I did. I believe the ticking sound you're hearing is either the injectors or valve train noise and is normal. I've got a Honda DelSol with a 4cyl engine and it doesn't make the same noise either, but then it's a different engine altogether and doesn't have nearly the power or torque of the V-6. Congratulations on your new car, you are going to enjoy it more each day.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,261 Likes on 2,632 Posts
I agree, the ticking sound you hear is more than likely the valvetrain. The hydralic valve lifters in the V6 Honda/Acura engines sometimes make that sound until the engine warms up.