Sponsored by:

Some DVD-Audio discs don't work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some DVD-Audio discs don't work?

I just bought 3 discs to play in my car. Two were accepted just fine, but the 3rd was spat out because of it's format.

Now, it SAYS DVD-A.. it's not SA-CD. It's got the same key phrases as the other CDs.. DVD Music, 6-channel, 5.1 surround.

I just don't know why it wont work.

DVDA: Romantic Moments with Beethoven, London Philharmonic
Released on: Silverline
24 Bit/96 kHz
Old 05-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

I had the same problem with another Silverline disc. Note that nowhere on the disc or on its packaging does it call itself "DVD-Audio." I played it on my computer's dvd rom and it played fine, and displayed material that would make you think it was DVD-A. Not certain exactly what to do, except not to buy another silverline disc.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hal
Romantic Moments with Beethoven, London Philharmonic
Your ELS spit this one out because it has better taste in music than you. Romantic Beethoven? Are you kidding me? That's like snuggling up to a porcupine.

j/k - Piano Sonatas, etc., very nice stuff

As already suggested, prolly not a legit DVD-A
Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hal
I just bought 3 discs to play in my car. Two were accepted just fine, but the 3rd was spat out because of it's format.

Now, it SAYS DVD-A.. it's not SA-CD. It's got the same key phrases as the other CDs.. DVD Music, 6-channel, 5.1 surround.

I just don't know why it wont work.

DVDA: Romantic Moments with Beethoven, London Philharmonic
Released on: Silverline
24 Bit/96 kHz
Silverline does NOT produce DVD audio/ DVD-A. The disc i bought said 'DVD' music and won't play in the tl.

you just have to be sure that anything you buy has the DVD-A or DVD-Audio symbols.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:51 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 496 Likes on 230 Posts
Silverline produces some of the worst DVD-A discs available. Check out the posts at the following forums. Search on Silverline

www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums

www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/
Old 05-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced

I had the same problem with the Teldec disk for Barenboim's Beethoven's 9th and the new Anna Sophie Mutter Four Seasons, both of which are DVD-A. I have the Silverline Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and it plays no problem. The manual (where are you Ron A?) somewhere says that some discs have some remaining bits of plastic/metal on the edges of the disk or around the center hole, which will prevent the disk from playing in the TL and that one should rub a pencil eraser around those edges and try again and the disk should play. I did that with the Mutter and it didn't work. I returned it to FYE without them giving me any hassle. I haven't tried it on the Beethoven's 9th, as I just put in my DVD player in my home system and it played just great, so it's staying there for awhile.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Rather than starting a new thread on this topic, I am adding another reply to bump it up and to get the board's advice. I bought another Teldec DVD-A last night to listen to on the way in this morning, and AGAIN a disk was rejected. This now makes THREE out of the seven DVD-A's I've bought. All have been labeled "DVD-A" and I've only bought one Silverline disc, which plays perfectly. Anyone have similar experience/advice? The discs play just fine in my home stereo. Should I have the dealer look at the DVD player in the TL? AAAARGGGGHHH! :chainsaw:
Old 05-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

My advice would be to take it into the dealer and have them look at it. Could be your deck is faulty.

-X-
Old 05-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Racer

Yep, I think you're right

Spitting it out cause it doesn't want to play classical.

Try some Rock N Roll
Old 05-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I couldn't get my Silverline discs to play either. However, I have Mutter's Vivaldi's Four Seasons and it plays fine. I will post the actual details of the disc tonight because there may be more than one disc.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

I bought a Disney DVD-A disc, Mannheim Steamroller meets the Mouse, and it won't play in the TL either.

Jason
Old 05-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I looked at some of those Silverline "Romantic Moments with <composer>" discs at Fry's this week. They are labelled with just the DVD logo, not DVD-Audio, so don't expect them to play in the TL.

Of course, Silverline puts them in a super jewel case just like a real DVD-Audio, so I can certainly see how it's confusing.

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrapps
I bought a Disney DVD-A disc, Mannheim Steamroller meets the Mouse, and it won't play in the TL either.

Jason
Again, the TL is just trying to help you find a life. Mannheim Steamroller? Meets Mickey Mouse?

:yack:

j/k - To each his own.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I have bought a total of 9 DVD-A and have never had a problem with any of them,Of course they were ALL ROCK,so as I see it your TL is just helping you not seem like a dork.. :clown:
Old 05-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Instructor

a Silverline DVD that I bought from Bestbuy didnt work either. They took it back but gave me a hassle about it. Now I try them before I leave the parking lot to avoid later return problems.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Has anyone tried those DVD cleaner things (look like a small hair dryer) available at some CD and office supply stores on the DVD-A's that don't work in the TL? I have never needed one for the DVD's I have at home, and the DVD-A's that don't work in the car work fine in my DVD player, so I've never bought one. Before I went out and got one, I was hoping someone else could enlighten me. BTW, rather than the deck spitting out the classical music, the DVD-A really brings out the full range of orchestral sound in an enclosed space like the TL. Try Beethoven's 3rd. And, for everyone else, I also listen to headbanging rock&roll and jazz with DVD's in the TL too, it's just that so far it's only been the classical ones I have had problems with