3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my TL-S last year and now I kind of want another one. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Sold my TL-S last year and now I kind of want another one. Need opinions.

Ok so I sold my 07 S last year to a forum member (not sure if he is a regular user or not), but in a way I kind of miss the car. I have been looking into cars again since I have been driving a older 00 ES300 Lexus that I bought and have had a chance to save some pretty nice money in the mean time. Im not serious about buying anything just yet and was actually looking to purchase something brand new that has options that I really want such as heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, push button start/keyless go etc etc. There is a lot of stuff that I really wish the 07/08 TL had, but I do understand it is not a 40K+ high end car is so its not going to have everything. Not even the new TL has ventilated seats. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I can find myself a super low mileage 07/08 Type S in the 6spd manual. That way I can have a little more fun driving since im into performance cars as well. I thought about the new TL's, but that thought lasted about 3 minutes as I remember how god damn ugly they are and really pissed that Acura couldnt keep a somewhat similar look to the 3rd gen. The 04-08 to this day has to be one of the sweetest sedan designs ever. Something about the headlights and overall shape of the car just looks amazing. My dream car right now would be a 07/08 Type S with a more updated engine with about 320hp, adaptive bi-xenon headlights, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, push button/keyless go, power telescopic steering column, rain sensing wipers, and an improved stereo (like in the 09+ TL's). Ok none of that is going to happen but sure would have been cool.

So my main question, I have never driven a 6spd Type S how would you guys rate that car mated to the 6spd? I have heard good things about that transmission with the exception of a 3rd gear issue if I remember correctly. Compared to the automatic would you say its a heck of a lot more fun to drive? I remember some saying it was actually somewhat signficantly quicker than the automatic? If driven properly will the 6spd manual get better fuel economy than the auto?

So let me know what you guys think about the 6spd S and if its worth it for me to consider one or give me some other recommendations on cars I would like.

Heres my old baby....

Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
So my main question, I have never driven a 6spd Type S how would you guys rate that car mated to the 6spd? I have heard good things about that transmission with the exception of a 3rd gear issue if I remember correctly. Compared to the automatic would you say its a heck of a lot more fun to drive? I remember some saying it was actually somewhat signficantly quicker than the automatic? If driven properly will the 6spd manual get better fuel economy than the auto?

I don't own a TL, but I drove a family member's 6spd MT around for a week, and it is really fun. I personally can't stand anything automatic. MT is way more fun.
The third gear issue can be fixed by using a certain type of trans fluid. I think it's GM friction modified trans fluid.
If driven "properly" I believe that it can save you fuel economy, but not significantly. However, by driving "properly" you loose some of the fun factor. It's kind of one or the other.

That's a pretty car you had...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Have to agree I love the ventilated seats and rain sensing wipers in our ES330.
But the 3rd Gen TL overall package is a pretty timeless design. one of the best in my mind.
I would go 6sp without question
Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
do any other manufacturers offer the features on their cars that you like or would like to have? Infiniti maybe? I know that if I were to replace my TL I would look into infiniti G sedan, or Audi a4/a3. Those cars have something that TL doesn't have so I would go for those. Just an example
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Your need for those options will not fade, so you're going keep wanting them if you get the TL-S... I would suggest you wait it out until a better car comes out. But I doubt the TL will get any smaller. The TSX has been bumped to the mid-size spot.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Yeah you guys make some great points. Several months ago I remember looking into some of the Audi's. I have never owned anything German and to be honest it kind of scares me. One car that I remember just as I finished this post is the 2010 Audi S4. It also is a excellent looking sedan which has excellent power infact more than I even stated. Has available manual trans and some of the other options I listed such as adaptive headlights, push start/keyless, rain sensing wipers, excellent stereo, and lots of fun factor. I have also been reading that for an audi this new supercharged V6 does really good on fuel. Only downside is they are friggin expensive!!! Even used the prestige packages are near 50K!!!

So thats good to hear you guys dig the 6spd Type S I know they can be a bit tough to come by but there are actually a few for sale in the Chicago area right now. I also like how solid my 07 felt and I never had any major problems it was a very reliable car.

James
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i would get a 2.5 generation RL. i dont think it has heated steering wheels or auto windshield wipers, but its got the ventilated seats, push start, and afs bi xenon headlights. its a 40k + car.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
The 2011 TL with the Advance package does actually have ventilated seats
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
that pic u posted makes me sad that u sold ur TL. that blue looks really good in that picture. why did u go to an 2000 ES? sounds like a down grade IMO
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by wall e
that pic u posted makes me sad that u sold ur TL. that blue looks really good in that picture. why did u go to an 2000 ES? sounds like a down grade IMO
That's what I was thinking as well when I saw the car he posted. The TL Type-S is an amazing car and that is one of my favorite colors that it comes in. If I were to get a Type-S, I wouldn't buy one until I found it in that color.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Yes it certainly was a downgrade going from my Type S to a older 00 ES300 no doubt about it. Reason I did that is because I bought a 2006 Z06 Corvette and having both the Type S and the Z06 were a bit expensive. My wife and I are expecting in august and believe it or not I sold my Z06 for 4K more than I paid for it. So now here I am stuck driving my kinda boring ES300 lol. I am now looking at something family oriented but yet still fun. I know its an SUV but I loooove the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which has everything I mentioned above and then some. Everything from adaptive cruise control to ventilated seats and a 390hp V8. I can get one of those for under $42K, but then I always think about gas prices going up again some day and im going to be pissed im driving an SUV. So basically as im sure you guys can all tell I dont know what I want haha. Thats where I came to think about the Type S again. They are relatively affordable these days, reliable, good on gas, and can be fun with the 6spd. They just lack some of the newer options I like so thats a trade off. Its a tough call.

I built a new Audi S4 on their site and to get it optioned like I want its over 60K!!!! yeah no thanks. I want to like the newer TL's but I just dont know. They look so friggin big and I hate that they went away with the bi-xenon lights. I know they look better with paint matched grills, but still it just doesnt have the amazing shape of the 3rd gen. I will look into the 2011's again and I see they re-did the front end of the expected 2012's. That was a start!

James

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 02-23-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
I would say just get another 3g ..... being affordable, attractive and fun should make up for it lacking a few features that arn't too important (to me at least) But if it really bothers you THAT much, shopping for another car might be a better idea

goodluck w/ ur choice!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd say get the 3G 6mt TL-S.

Having driven the 4G TL 6MT, 3G TL-S 6MT, and 3G TL-S 5A back to back to back I'd say the 4G TL 6mt drives the best and the Tech package has many of the modern day options but like you said, the car is FUGLY. Can't stand looking at the thing. The 3G TL-S was the best bang for the buck IMO. Under $30k and fun car to drive.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
9th Gear

We have a 99 ES300 and although its nice, I would really miss my TL if I had to let it go.

Your dream car sounds exactly like what I would want too!

That is all. I have nothing really good to contribute lol
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Instructor

I have an 08 TLS MT and it is fun to drive. I drove my buddies 07 TLS auto and I can tell the difference in how much quicker the MT is in comparison to the auto. If you miss your TLS, I would say go and get another one!!! lol
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
'08 TL-S here.

The 6-Speed is fantastic. Bearing you complete the GMFSM swap. It is very fun to drive, sharp, crisp and there is such a huge rpm band that there is no need to row the gears around to constantly find power.

That said, you mentioned a lot of options that you'd like to see on your next ride. Not to sway your opinion away from the TL-S, but have you considered the 370Z? It has all those options and your sporty requirements. It doesn't really meet all the facets of the sedan realm, but it's a great little coupe.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirForceFX
'08 TL-S here.

The 6-Speed is fantastic. Bearing you complete the GMFSM swap. It is very fun to drive, sharp, crisp and there is such a huge rpm band that there is no need to row the gears around to constantly find power.

That said, you mentioned a lot of options that you'd like to see on your next ride. Not to sway your opinion away from the TL-S, but have you considered the 370Z? It has all those options and your sporty requirements. It doesn't really meet all the facets of the sedan realm, but it's a great little coupe.
I havent really looked into that car although im sure it would be a blast. Reason being is because they are downright tiny and with my wife being pregnant I do have to keep that in mind for a kid in the future. Not only that but its rear wheel drive and you know how that does in the snow.
Right now my top picks are the 6mt TL-S, or a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland. Not sure if any of you have seen or driven a new Overland, but if not you would be very surprised that it was built by Chrysler.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you bought the other 3G new. I doubt buying a 3G old will fill the void. You got old with the old 3G and was used to how it drove. With a new car you will constantly compare rides with the old car. Let go and buy a new vehicle (personally I'd buy the Ford Flex) there some pretty stylish cross-overs.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by denny crane
if you bought the other 3G new. I doubt buying a 3G old will fill the void. You got old with the old 3G and was used to how it drove. With a new car you will constantly compare rides with the old car. Let go and buy a new vehicle (personally I'd buy the Ford Flex) there some pretty stylish cross-overs.
Well I did not buy my previous Type S new I was the second owner. Also, the reason I would consider going to another Type S is because I would be getting a 6spd which is a completely different driving experience. Either way its just a thought maybe if I see one for sale nearby I will give it a test drive and see how I like the 6spd in it.
As for the Ford cross-overs and SUV's yuk. I know Ford has apparently come along way but their new products bore the crap out of me. Thats what I like about the new Grand Cherokee Overland. To me its exciting and is a true offroad capable SUV if need be and not just another cross-over based on a FWD car platform like the new Exploder.

Also, is the 6mt fluid change fix something the members came up with that works or is that an actual dealer recommended TSB or fix for this? Just curious.

James
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about something not in the S-class for audi. The A5 is a very nice vehicle as well. I don't think the RL is even push button start. I saw one at the dealership and the way they do it is a bit odd. You have the key fob on you and you turn this plastic key that's stuck in the ignition (that's what it looks like).
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

I didnt look much into the non S Audi's as they didnt really interest me that much. I like the S4/S5 but price comes into play again as those things are expensive as crap even used. The RL is nice I had a newer one as a loaner but I dont think its something I would buy for myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
I havent really looked into that car although im sure it would be a blast. Reason being is because they are downright tiny and with my wife being pregnant I do have to keep that in mind for a kid in the future. Not only that but its rear wheel drive and you know how that does in the snow.
Right now my top picks are the 6mt TL-S, or a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland. Not sure if any of you have seen or driven a new Overland, but if not you would be very surprised that it was built by Chrysler.
Ah, yes, those are good points.

You're being picky, which is very good, because in the end I think you will be much happier with your results. I wish you good luck in your search, I'll monitor the thread to see what you end up with!

PS: The Cherokee is awesome. Jeep REALLY picked up their game. My buddy has a stock Cherokee that we tackle the woods with and it takes rough terrain without even a second glance. Get it back on the road and it's smooth and comfortable. My second vehicle will actually be the Wrangler Sahara.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
What about a 335? They might be on the expensive side as well, though.

Lexus GS? Don't know what they've got as far as features, but it sounds like it might fill most of your requirements. Doesn't come in MT, though.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your budget range?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by anakalia
x2
Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Volvo
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey James, just wanted to let you know I do come on alot and the TL is being well taken care of. Good luck on your search for a MT TLS.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Andy Tsang
Hey James, just wanted to let you know I do come on alot and the TL is being well taken care of. Good luck on your search for a MT TLS.
Oh sweet nice to see you still on the forums. Like I said im not too serious about buying right this moment maybe another year or so, but a manual tranny Type S could be a possibility. To be honest with you what made me think of the Type S again is because the other day I saw a amazingly clean KBP Type S just like my old one even had the same window tint. I thought it could have been my old one but I figured there would be no way your all the way out by me. Anyway, my point is the car looked friggin amazing and made me miss the car lol. Hope the car has been treating you well.

James
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh sweet nice to see you still on the forums. Like I said im not too serious about buying right this moment maybe another year or so, but a manual tranny Type S could be a possibility. To be honest with you what made me think of the Type S again is because the other day I saw a amazingly clean KBP Type S just like my old one even had the same window tint. I thought it could have been my old one but I figured there would be no way your all the way out by me. Anyway, my point is the car looked friggin amazing and made me miss the car lol. Hope the car has been treating you well.

James
Hey James,

The car is treating me really well. With commuting to work all the time and the bad weather I actually havent been able to drive the TLS much. But once the weather is better I plan to take her out every weekend. If you have your heart set on another TL I think you should go for it. I totally agree with you when you say it is one of the best looking cars ever. I love the timeless design of the car and fell in love with it then it first came out. Well congrats on the baby on the way! Take care.

Andy
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor

C63 AMG.

/thread.

maybe a little pricey though lol.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately go back to a TL Type-s. I picked up a 2008 Type-S 2 weeks ago and don't regret it. Dump the Lexus. Wish u luck in your hunt.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Have you thought about the Neon SRT-4?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ruby
Have you thought about the Neon SRT-4?
Nope, not going to drive a Neon. SRT or not thats just not a car that interests me much. I have owned a Grand Cherokee SRT8 and that thing was insane, but for a daily driven vehicle I want something that gets more than 12mpg.
The C63 AMG is nice and a good suggestion but unfortantely again, its RWD and not a good car all year round here. Unless I had a second car for winter driving and I dont want to do the multiple car thing again.
Thats one of the things that was good about the TL is that it is FWD and was great in the snow. Not really into cars like Neon's or Evo's or anything like that.
My budget is probably a max of $45K (anything less is always better) which was the out the door price on the 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland that I ordered but recently cancelled. I think I am going to wait another year and consider a new 2012 Overland, or possibly get myself into another TL-S but with a 6mt. If I were living somewhere down south then my options are endless as a performance RWD car could be daily driven. I hate winter lol
Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rtibbitts07
C63 AMG.

/thread.

maybe a little pricey though lol.
At $4+/gallon it'll be /wallet too at 10mpg.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Cruisin'

Six Speed all the way...nothing compares with snappin off a perfect 2-3 shift @ 7000rpm...the sound is just shiver producing!!! Love the S!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
The 2011 TL with the Advance package does actually have ventilated seats
It's actually the 2012 TL. It comes out sometime in April. Ventilated seats and 6p AT are some of the new features. It also has a toned down grille.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The latest gen Maxima has a heated steering wheel and cooled seats as an option. I sat in one at the Toronto auto show last week and was very impressed with the look and feel of the interior. The fit and finish actually seemed better than the G37, and looked better too.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

Just wanted to let you guys know I ended up test driving an 08 6spd for the heck of it. First off I want to say holy crap you guys werent kidding!!! HUGE difference! I know its been a while since I have last driven my 07 S automatic, but it felt like a completely different car. I was also very surprised at how easy it was to drive. Very smooth and easy to engage and the pedal and shifter throws were short and easy. Overall I was very impressed with the car. And if you wanted to drive perfectly normal you can and even make extremely smooth shifts. Im not saying the automatic is a slouch by any means, but I now believe the guys that say the manual is almost a second quicker and 4mph faster in the 1/4 over the automatic. Well I am now certainly going to consider an 07/08 Type S 6mt as a future purchase :-)
Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I know its an SUV but I loooove the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which has everything I mentioned above and then some. Everything from adaptive cruise control to ventilated seats and a 390hp V8. I can get one of those for under $42K, but then I always think about gas prices going up again some day and im going to be pissed im driving an SUV.
If you have thought about SUVs then I would check out the Jeep SRT-8. Badass car, sweet exhaust, one of the only SUVs that I would rock.

Quick Reply: Sold my TL-S last year and now I kind of want another one. Need opinions.