Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solarguard Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Solarguard Clear Bra?

After already finding several small chips in my bumper I have decided that I need a clear bra for protection. I found someone who does this for a dealship and he uses the Solarguard product. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how good this product is? Looking on the net it looks like the actual product is called Clearshield.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 PM
I slow down for COPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_Crunch
After already finding several small chips in my bumper I have decided that I need a clear bra for protection. I found someone who does this for a dealship and he uses the Solarguard product. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how good this product is? Looking on the net it looks like the actual product is called Clearshield.
Ask them if they have a website, so we can check it out. This way it will be easier to make suggestions, express opinion about the product and the type of film they are using.

Mark the bra man.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 PM
My Daily Driver

here ya go...

http://www.clearshield.com/index.cfm...n/Product.Home
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 AM
I slow down for COPS

Pros:
Nice kit for the 04+ TL (not sure about the fit of the kit, but the coverage looks good)
Urethane film

Cons:
No clearcoat (likely to stain, etc._

I would personally go with 3M film. By the way, I do not work for 3M, just love the film above others. I have used other films (including Bekaert) and always keep coming back to 3M.

My

Good luck,

Mark.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:16 AM
My Daily Driver

anybody know of a place in the southern wisconsin/northern illinois area to do the 3M? One place said he wouldnt do it because its too much of a pain in the a$$ to install which I thought was a bunch of BS.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Hey there. I live in Pewaukee, WI and just had it done on my SSM right down in Milwaukee. It is the only guy in the area that really specializes in this and does a lot of high end cars in the city.....Porsches, Benzes etc. PM me and I will send you his contact info if you want. Very nice guy and did a great job on my car! And for a great price! Even got a discount from what the MSRP on XPel actually is......

He does have the laser cutter machine thing, so the kit is cut perfectly....

You can tell I am happy with his work I guess.....
Old 11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
anybody know of a place in the southern wisconsin/northern illinois area to do the 3M? One place said he wouldnt do it because its too much of a pain in the a$$ to install which I thought was a bunch of BS.
It is a pain in the ass. I watched my installer install my clear bra (bumper is the most difficult area). That's why they charge so much.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by marousek
Hey there. I live in Pewaukee, WI and just had it done on my SSM right down in Milwaukee. It is the only guy in the area that really specializes in this and does a lot of high end cars in the city.....Porsches, Benzes etc. PM me and I will send you his contact info if you want. Very nice guy and did a great job on my car! And for a great price! Even got a discount from what the MSRP on XPel actually is......

He does have the laser cutter machine thing, so the kit is cut perfectly....

You can tell I am happy with his work I guess.....
This link from the 3M site will assist you finding an installer/shop close to you. You might also google "Paint Protection Film" and see if any of the 3rd party resellers have any recommended installers for their products. I believe Xpel is one that does......
Old 11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
My Daily Driver

I konw. I am just looking for the front bumper. I dont want it on the hood or fenders. Cant stand the line it creates, even though it is barely noticeable, I still dont like it.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
I slow down for COPS

I konw. I am just looking for the front bumper. I dont want it on the hood or fenders. Cant stand the line it creates, even though it is barely noticeable, I still dont like it.
Not trying to be sarcastic, but do you like the rock chips over the line?

And if you want just the bumper, most installers can do that too instead of the full kit.

Good luck, Mark.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Instructor

IMO, then you're wasting your money. What good is it if the bumper is cherry and the hood is all fu%ked up?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Here's an option and it's not PPF. It's called "aluminized clear" and it's actually a clear coat. Teranfon has it on his vehicles and claims he has no dings, chips or road debris damage. Here's the post about it and pics are available (post #24).

Originally Posted by teranfon
I've used an alternative to the 3M film for close to seven years now. I found the 3M would dull over time. What I do is have the body shop I deal with apply aluminumized clear to the surface being protected. First the surface to be cleared is masked off. This works very well because you get the desired angles and surfaces to be covered without having to compromise with the constraints of the 3M film. The surface is then etched with a product that dulls the factory clear and allows the aluminumized clear to be applied. It is then applied over several coats and left to dry for 12 hours. Aluminumized clear is the same product applied to factory wheels. It is extremely durable yet does not become as hard as factory clears coats. This allows for a surface that is able to withstand contact from road debris. The finished product is just beautiful. Its looks like a factory clear coat and can applied to most difficult of angles. Once the masking tape is removed you have a very slight ridge than you have to look for. And it will not fade or yellow.

The last four vehicles I have had done with this procedure have been new vehicles and I have yet to receive a single chip. This includes a pickup that is for farm use and sees a few gravel roads. I've also had this procedure done to the lower rockers of my Grand National and corvette as I hate splash guards. You cannot see the finished product and no chipping since its been applied.

It may be a consideration for you.