Sponsored by:

SoCal Tint and Clear Bra Acura TL Special

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know....

Originally Posted by STEVESTINT
Hey guys this is Marco with steves tinting. I just wanted to say thanks for all the great feed back we aprecitate all the good comments. By the was what does SSM mean? Sorry i do not know all the LINGO. take care guys.
Steve: Are you using non-metallic tint on the Navigation Acuras? Are you using Pinnacle?

What are you doing about the moleskin installation? Are you putting it on? If, so- are you removing the door panels or just pulling the top back? Are you doing both wipe/seals or just one?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:58 AM
2005 ACURA TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes we are using the PINNACLE SERIES film on the acuras and the honda accords. The pinnacle series film is 100% ceramic it contains no metals or dies. The moleskins we take the pannels off then install the moleskin on the rubbers
Old 11-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experiences with the clear bra have been very positive. Initially ordered an E-Pel kit for my Passat. Well, it was a nasty install job. Vowed never to do it personally again. The more curves there are the more head aches you will encounter.The thickness, .8 mil was more than adequate. It kept the entire front of te Passat perfect, no chips, damage etc in 3 years of heavy travel on interstates, I-95 etc. The lights had 20 mil and was great insurance against lens cracking. My 04 TL also just had the clear bra installed. Here in Florida they go as Supershield. Check it out at www.autosupershield.com. My installer Peppy is a genius, does all the hot supercars here. Have great respect for his talent installing it perfectly around the most amazing corners, dips etc. Mine is not noticeable at all and is money well spend. Regards
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Tint

Hey Guys,

I had my TL tinted by Steve's shop this weekend. The tint looks great, they did a great job and it was under 2 hrs.

I would highly recommend them to any of you. They also showed me the clearbra install they did on Marco's car and it looked fantastic. The price they are offering that combo for is incredible.

Thanks,

M
Old 11-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

I picked up my AM/Ebony/6MT from the dealership on Thursday. I had already arranged to bring it in to Steve's on Saturday, but I got out of the dealership much, much faster than I expected, so I called Steve's as I was leaving the dealership and they told me to come on by. I had my rear window and sunroof tinted dark and all my side windows tinted medium, and I had the clear-bra put on. I was one of the other members Chavez referred to...it was funny to see 3 brand new TLs filling up Steve's garage. Anyway, the entire team at Steve's was great. Really nice guys, and they did a superb job. Discount or not, I definately recommend them.

Oh, and thanks ToddL for putting the group discount package together.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Review of Steve's Tint & Clear bra

I came in the Friday after 3 other members had their car tinted/clear bra. I had Steve do my tint and clear bra. He is excellent on his service and professionalism. The clear bra looks good as does the tint. There were only a few minor flaws with both, but I think within human error. The tint install took 1 hour and the bra took 3 hours.

The clear bra is very clear using the lumar film cut with the expel patterns. Steve installs the bra right up to the edges with 1 to 2 mm gaps. The gaps are even around the bra so the install looks great. On that day, Steve was teaching 2 other clear bra installers from Oregon his installation method, so I got a free lesson as well. Installing a clear bra is not an amateur task.

A few flaws to note are:

1. Only a few places did a few grains of dirt manage to creep under the bra during the installation. The dirt comes out of those crackes around the grill when being sprayed down. Otherwise, the clear bra is perfect except a few stretch marks like when a person gains weight too fast. The marks aren't too noticeable, but I wanted to mention them so that readers don't think that the bra is inivinsible. The film has to be stretched to cover the contours of the car and some stretch marks are the result.

2. Finally, I think Steve scratched the right hood of my car! The mark is real light and can probably be buffed out. I don't blame him for the scratch, as every installation has human factor involved. He tried to buff it out with a polish which helped somewhat. I credit Steve for acknowledging the scratch and trying to resolve it. The scratch may have been on the car prior, but I doubt it as I would have seen it on the top of the hood.

I would go back to have Steve do my other cars.

Please add to my scales (on the left) if this post has been helpful.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Well I am glad that this deal has worked out so well for everyone. Maybe next time I will work out some type on incentive program.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Guys, was thinking of taking my TL to Steve's either this weekend or next. Question to Steve, my wife has a 2001 325i, would she need moleskin for this car as well?

Gor
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 AM
2005 ACURA TL

No there is no need for the moleskin on that vehicle.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Marco/ Steve,

Originally you were only going to offer this deal until 11/15. I have gotten a few PM wondering if you were going to extend it until the end of the month.

Please advise...

Thanks
TL
Old 11-17-2004, 10:41 AM
4th Gear

Got my tint done @ STEVE's last weekend... I got the Pinnacle series 15% back window and 35% on the sides. LQQKS great! I'm very happy w/ the job they did. I thought there were bubbles on the drivers side... turned out that it takes about 4-5 days before all the hazing and stuff disappears. I actually had my dad take drive my car back there to have them look at it also. They adressed all the concerns and stand behind their work... These guys are cool people and do awesome work. I wouldn't hesitate on taking my other cars here. Well worth the drive.

I haven't had the clear bra put on, but I plan on getting that done @ STEVE's also...

I'll put up some pics up to give people ideas as soon as I figure out how...

-J
Old 11-18-2004, 05:49 PM
2005 ACURA TL

It will be extended to DECEMBER 15, 2004. How's your car todd?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM
4th Gear

how it turned out..

They're not the best pics but it should give everyone an idea... This is the Formula One Pinnacle series: 35% on all sides and 15% on the back window.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:41 PM
4th Gear

how it turned out..

They're not the best pics but it should give everyone an idea... This is the Formula One Pinnacle series: 35% on all sides and 15% on the back window.

I'm happy with it...
Old 11-24-2004, 11:42 AM
04 TL 6MT A-Spec Navi ABP

Good job

Got a clear bra and tint from Steve yesterday. He took his time and did an excellent job - 6 hours total! Everyone took excellent car of the car during the process. The clear bra is practically invisible and does not detract from the appearance of the car. In the "right light" and angle you can see the line where it ends and there are a few stretch-looking small marks from install. However, you would only notice these if you were aware of their existance. I am very happy that I did this to protect from rock impacts. In the way home (about 70 miles) a truck kicked up a rock that hit my hood. It then bounced up and over the car. I inspected the area later and did not notice any evidence of the incident. Nice!

One thing I noticed is that they use heat guns to mold the tint to the window at times. During this process they throw the extension cords over their shoulder to keep it from touching the side of the car. This was very professional and showed that they care about the details.

Steve's Tinting is a great place and I would highly recommend it!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Banned

Don't forget to buy some mole skin too!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:39 PM
04 TL 6MT A-Spec Navi ABP

Good point! Luckily, this is part of their install process and is covered in the tint job.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Weapon X

Hey Marco/Stevetint, Im getting my car this week and probably need to make an appt for this sat or sun. I am driving from san diego. I dont know if Im the furthest away to come up there, but after reading what people are saying about you business, Im willing to do the drive, and I want to jump on the special before it expires. I want to get my windows tinted is all.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Racer

Wow, didn't realize they extended it until December 15th. I may have to hop on this as well.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Team Abyss Horseman

Tint

I got my tint for free from my dealership (Cerritos Acura). Maybe you could try asking your dealer?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Instructor

The dealer can't tint side windows - Plus I wasnt aware that Cerritos did tint...
Old 12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Instructor

PG2G - Did you finally get a TL? Last I heard you pulled out of the Cerritos deal...

Happy Holiday all
Old 12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Racer

Yeha, I managed to nab one on Friday from Downey. They originally told me it'd be closer to mid December, but I got a call and off I went. So far so good, aside from crappy mileage.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GRich4u
Hey Marco/Stevetint, Im getting my car this week and probably need to make an appt for this sat or sun. I am driving from san diego. I dont know if Im the furthest away to come up there, but after reading what people are saying about you business, Im willing to do the drive, and I want to jump on the special before it expires. I want to get my windows tinted is all.
I'm in SD and had my tint and clear bra installed by Steve's shop, but I went there straight from the dealership (Cerritos Acura). You're probably still farther away than I am though, as I live in North County. Anyway, the day I was there all 3 bays had TLs in them, and all of them were from different areas of SoCal. I think one was from Orange County and another from Barstow.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Wow that sounds expensive... For my clear 3M taping, its going to cost me $150-$200CDN and for the tint it will be about the same.. sounds like you guys down there pay premo.. If any1 here is in Edmonton, AB...I can hook you up with the same sort of deal.. I know a guy who does this.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Weapon X

I just talked with the dealer today, My car "should" be ready tomorrow. The guy is coming to tint my windows at the dealer. BUT, I dont know what kind of tint they are using. And last I checked they werent going to tint them. So we will see..

Just talked to the service guy.. they only tint the back ones not the two fronts.. Yeah I know its California legal but I rather take the risk and pay the fix it ticket. Oh and he doesnt know what type of tint it was himself.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Instructor

If you have the navigation - make sure you get the Ceramic Tint.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Weapon X

Originally Posted by ToddL
If you have the navigation - make sure you get the Ceramic Tint.

I asked the service guy and he wasnt sure, but he did say no problems from several other navi TL they had done. Heck it will be under warranty if they do it so it will be going back for any problems.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Caveat emptor

Originally Posted by GRich4u
I asked the service guy and he wasnt sure, but he did say no problems from several other navi TL they had done. Heck it will be under warranty if they do it so it will be going back for any problems.
I don't think you're listening. Check page 3 of the Navi owner's manual. DO NOT use metallic tint or it WILL interfer with the GPS antenna bellow the package shelf under the back window.

Almost all tint is metallic except for the cheap dyed tint which turns purple after a while ...and the more expensive ceramic tint. Formula One has the Pinnacle ceramic tint and so does Huper Optik. Check the 3G garage "sticky" thread on this topic for great, detailed information. You can be an informed buyer or you can wing it. It's your money.

Metallic tint can also interfere with AM radio and cellular reception.

Dealers and installers have a standard line: "We've done a million of them and never had a problem." Simply put: they lie.

And the tint guarantee covers changing colors or bubbling. Read it. Don't go by what the sales person says. It doesn't cover interference with navi or even scratching by the internals.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Xpditor is correct. Your warranty will covers bubbles and color fade - not reception coverage. Also IMHO - if the tinter doesnt know what type of tint he is installing, he doesn't deserve the right to install tint on YOUR car.

I am assuming you did some research before you spent 34K + on this car, so take some time and research information on the tint. You can find all the information you need on this forum. Better to get it right the first time..

Old 12-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Instructor

TKX - you think that is expensive, you should try to buy some property out here...
Old 12-10-2004, 01:14 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by ToddL
TKX - you think that is expensive, you should try to buy some property out here...

Lol was just saying that is expensive for the 3M tape .
Old 12-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

Props to ToddL to setting up this deal.

I'm scheduled to get this done next Tuesday. I have question for those that have installed the clearbra or have seen it. How visible is the bra be on NHB? (Should have asked this earlier)
Old 12-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Weapon X

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I don't think you're listening. Check page 3 of the Navi owner's manual. DO NOT use metallic tint or it WILL interfer with the GPS antenna bellow the package shelf under the back window.

Almost all tint is metallic except for the cheap dyed tint which turns purple after a while ...and the more expensive ceramic tint. Formula One has the Pinnacle ceramic tint and so does Huper Optik. Check the 3G garage "sticky" thread on this topic for great, detailed information. You can be an informed buyer or you can wing it. It's your money.

Metallic tint can also interfere with AM radio and cellular reception.

Dealers and installers have a standard line: "We've done a million of them and never had a problem." Simply put: they lie.

And the tint guarantee covers changing colors or bubbling. Read it. Don't go by what the sales person says. It doesn't cover interference with navi or even scratching by the internals.
I did read the forum about the tint, which was one reason I didnt want the dealer to do it.
It so happened when I went to pick up my car, it wasnt really ready yet, but I saw it being driven back on the lock with tint. I was at the service managers desk and asked him if my car was ready, and at the same time the tint guy was bringing him my keys. So I asked him straight out, what kind of tint does your company use. He said formula one. I played dumb, and asked why they used that type of tint. He started looking at me funny like I was some wise guy and said becuase its a non matalic tint and a lot of companys are starting to have problems with those cheaper tints. So Im cool with it.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Congrats - GRich

It is a wonderful car - enjoy...
Old 01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Smile

I just got my ClearBra and Pinnacle 35% tint install on Saturday. Steve was great! he honored the deal, even though it is mid-January... Total: $850 (extra $50 for A-spec bumper clear-bra install)

It took 5 hours, and I would do it again!

The only thing is that the rear-window tint seems to have a bubble or two in it, I can touch it and it depresses but pops right back out. So it seems there is some air trapped behind the tint. I don't know if this will go away or not.

Also, the rear deck seems to have some water stains on it from the tint install. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean that up? I might try a MrClean Magic Eraser, will post an update whether it works or not.

Oh, BTW, I will post pics once I clean the car; it's supposed to rain here for a few days, so I may wash the car over the weekend...
Old 02-07-2005, 12:31 AM
2005 ACURA TL

Hi everyone this is Marco from Steves.Some genious hit me 2 weeks ago so now my TL is just about a paper clip. There alot of front damage on it. So now iam just waiting for the other guys insurance to fix my car. They are taking forever. Hows everyone's car doing. take care.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

Hey Marco,

Does your shop have the Viper 791? How much for the alarm and installation?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STEVESTINT
Hi everyone this is Marco from Steves.Some genious hit me 2 weeks ago so now my TL is just about a paper clip. There alot of front damage on it. So now iam just waiting for the other guys insurance to fix my car. They are taking forever. Hows everyone's car doing. take care.
Oh man...that sucks! Sorry to hear about that. Are you thinking about replacing it with another TL?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
2005 ACURA TL

chavez. sup buddy. yes we do have viper alarm. Its the 2 way pager alarm system. Iam not sure if i can give prices on here b.c i do no want to get in trouble. but send me an email to PFKA316@YAHOO.COM OR AIM ME AT SOCALDUB55. I will give you all the info you need. take care buddy
Originally Posted by chavez
Hey Marco,

Does your shop have the Viper 791? How much for the alarm and installation?

Quick Reply: SoCal Tint and Clear Bra Acura TL Special