Sponsored by:

So i'm getting a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i'm getting a little worried

Hey guys,

First of all, I' d just like to say hello and thanks for having me be apart of this discussion board.

I've been looking forward to buying a TL, however based on some of the posts i've read here, I'm not as confident anymore. I've test driven one and loved it, I love the exterior, interior and of course the Acura name. Currently I drive a Audi S4 and a Integra LS. I've had some problems with the Audi, but none with the Teg, even though I don't maintain that one as much. The car is a 94 and just won't die, all I have to do are regular oil changes.

So my question is this; Are a lot of these "common" problems in the TL resolved in the 05, or should I wait for the 06???

Is it because the TL is made in America???? Or is it because you guys are like me and look for every little thing that is wrong in the car I love??

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2005, 07:18 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The majority of any forum will show users that have had problems, and not those that have had trouble-free operation/use. All the early-build (2004) issues were pretty much ironed out (not saying that you might not come across it by chance on an 2005 model), but I would suggest that issues can still arise for any car, regardless of brand/model. I can my experience has been nothing short of phenomenal though.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chances are your audi has 10 times more problems then the TL has. I asked a question like this once too. But most people probably stumble accross this board when they have a problem. Keep in mind there are 50k+ of these cars, and much fewer people here, these probably make up a large percent of the people with problems. From what I understand here are the common problems with the 05:
-The paint sucks(although that wont be fixed any time soon), it chips easily etc(get mud guards and clear bra an you are set)
-The car develops many rattles(fixable under warrenty so don't worry about it)
-Car develops butt prints(not so much on the 05 unless you have really been hitting the burgers)
-The temperature display flatlines(which screws around with other stuff too)
-The HFL dies
Drivetrain wise you should be fine, I have heard few complaints in that area. So basically there are a few gremlins in the system and the paint sucks. The gremlins may be further fixed in 06, but keep in mind if an 05 system fails in a year or so they will probably throw in the 06 unit anyway, or reinstall newer software on everything. Oh yah, be ready to chew through tires.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

IMO... wait for 06... and see what Acura TL comes out with... Urrr....
Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i would have paid about 2 more grand if the car was made in japan.

US QA sucks balls
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
I was also concerned like youself as I know someone who had a 2004 TL which had tire wear and rattle issues. His brother and brother-in-law also had 2004 TL's, and also had some problems. After reading many posting on this forum, Edmunds, and VTEC.org I went ahead and purchased a 2005 6MT.

After three months 3200 miles I've only seen the outside termperature gauge flatline once (also causing the seat memory and radio memory to go away). This problem lasted about 3 hours and solved itself. It's probably a Software/Firmware issue with a coding problem. Other than that I've been very happy with my overall experience with my TL.

Some folks here boost up or slam down this car's features and issues to the extreme's, fairly common stuff on Internet forums. However most folks in this forum have some very good comments on the ownership experience.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Made In Japan is NOT the magic bullet many think it is. IMHO, the TL is at least average and perhaps better in build quality for 2005. Almost all first year builds will have problems regardless of country where it is built.

In my experience many little things continue to go wrong with Audi/VW's during the entire build cycle. Some they can fix, some not. There have been few if any reports of 3G TL's leaving anyone stranded but still it is not perfect. Lots of TL owners report 0 to very few problems. I am in that group. Realize that you are buying a mass produced machine and they don't always get it right. The more complex the car, the more likely something will go wrong. Having a good dealer service department helps a lot. Not driving it like you stole it also helps a lot.

With almost 8k miles on my car it was just picked up from first dealer visit for the flatline problem. They had it for a week due to part backorder. Fine, I had an 05 TL loaner. Other than that I have had 0 issues.

Check out Consumer Reports and the car magazines for unbiased additional information. If you are totally anal, whatever you buy, just leave it in the garage and don't drive it at all.

If you play the waiting game, you may never buy anything. Life is to short.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:00 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The TL may be produced here, but it is produced under Japanese standards. I don't get why so many people believe the TL would be better if it were built in Japan! That's just ignorant.

Perhaps they need to be reminded where the bulletproof engine came from, and where the failing transmissions came from.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 PM
6MT & LSD

despite all the little problems that people are having, 06 model won't be so different. imo, get it as soon as you can. this opinion is completely irrational, though, as i've had my TL for a month and am completely in love with it. i just installed my comptech rsb yesterday so i drive with an even bigger grin now.

TL would be better if it were built in Japan. I'm not saying everything is made better in Japan (hence the 5AT trans problem), but Acura would certainly be built better there. fit & finish of US made cars is below average.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I still like the idea of an american designed and made car. The problems that go with where it is manufactured would, however, be the rattles. But other then that all the pieces are made the best they will ever be. If you are really paranoid go through the entire thing with a rench. I will probably finger test the engine mounts and all bolts and screws I have easy access to. Glad to here no strandings. My auto teachers new STS(teachers make a fair amount I guess) shut down on him because it detected a non existant engine problem.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Up to you

If you want to get the thir version of this redesigned model in 2006, you'll probably get less issues and maybe a new feature or two (just like the difference between 2004 and 2005).

The 2005 has been great for me so far. It appears there are a lot of problems because people come to this board looking for solutions or help. You don't have too many people coming here and saying 'everything is just great - just wanted to let you know!'

Also, if you want a better price, get a 2005 between now and the release of the 2006. If price doesn't matter and you want the latest and greatest, wait for the 2006.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Id pass on the 800 less for the previous years model. No brainer. Thats really going out on a lim to save money.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by MR1
I will second that.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MR1
Made In Japan is NOT the magic bullet many think it is. IMHO, the TL is at least average and perhaps better in build quality for 2005. Almost all first year builds will have problems regardless of country where it is built.

In my experience many little things continue to go wrong with Audi/VW's during the entire build cycle. Some they can fix, some not. There have been few if any reports of 3G TL's leaving anyone stranded but still it is not perfect. Lots of TL owners report 0 to very few problems. I am in that group. Realize that you are buying a mass produced machine and they don't always get it right. The more complex the car, the more likely something will go wrong. Having a good dealer service department helps a lot. Not driving it like you stole it also helps a lot.

With almost 8k miles on my car it was just picked up from first dealer visit for the flatline problem. They had it for a week due to part backorder. Fine, I had an 05 TL loaner. Other than that I have had 0 issues.

Check out Consumer Reports and the car magazines for unbiased additional information. If you are totally anal, whatever you buy, just leave it in the garage and don't drive it at all.

I agree that all not Japan-made cars are that high in quality. The difference varies by brand, but the build quality is noticeable compared to North American built cars, even of the same brand. Mazda for example, had issues with their Mazda6 which was designed and built in the US, but their Mazda3 (and the previous gen Protege 5) seem to hold their own. It seem that Japan-made models lasts much longer and are much more reliable. Even salesmen can relate to that. There are many people out there that put a lot of weight on the "J" in the front of the VIN number.

All NEW cars are no comparison since they are all new. It is how they stand up after 5 years or so and how the value of that particular model hold well.

I think another issue is if a car company rectifies a known problem or lets the problem be widespread and do a massive recall. Honda seems pretty good with rectifying previous problems, that's why end of generation models have most of the bugs ironed out (as well as chock full of options included). CR magazine reflects this on their reliability chart.

I don't think the opinion of a Japan-made TL is ignorant. I think that a Japan-made TL would even be a better product than what it is. And knowing Honda's previous practices, the later model is not necessarily better, but has less problems. That until the new model year comes out which will bring out a new set of bugs, made in Japan or elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Instructor

The problem is when you have an "unfixable" problem. The vibration issue is just that. I can deal with early build issues IF THEY FIX them. I will not buy Acura again. Local dealerships are mediocre on service and corporate is useless. I just bought a Lexus GX470 for my wife and Lexus service makes Acura look like Chevrolet. If Acura wants to be a lux car mfg, their service has to step it up. Until then, I'll go elsewhere. I would've bought an MDX if Acura had remedied my vibration issues. Instead, they lost me to Lexus, likely for life.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildcat Jon
The problem is when you have an "unfixable" problem. The vibration issue is just that. I can deal with early build issues IF THEY FIX them. I will not buy Acura again. Local dealerships are mediocre on service and corporate is useless. I just bought a Lexus GX470 for my wife and Lexus service makes Acura look like Chevrolet. If Acura wants to be a lux car mfg, their service has to step it up. Until then, I'll go elsewhere. I would've bought an MDX if Acura had remedied my vibration issues. Instead, they lost me to Lexus, likely for life.
When a friend of mine takes his GX470 in for service, they constantly and consistantly bend over backwards to please him. Unlike Honda Motor Company, Toyota understands what having a luxury brand is supposed to mean in terms of customer service.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Instructor

How many times do we have to discuss this issue? Many TLs have rattle issues. If you are worried about it, don't buy it. Buy a Lexus!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
geez

Acura is not a luxury car manufacturer. When do people get that through their heads... only one model is classified as a luxury model. The rest are just upscale cars.

As for the built in japan aspect. Its the quality of the materials and quality control measures that are used in the build process that matter. The TL is the less expensive car in its category (tl, g35, 330). So there is a good chance that something might suffer since it is cheaper.

Has anyone heard the saying that remember that your weapons were made by the lowest bidder.

I do not hear complaints of rattles on the other boards. The tranny issues have been well document for the tl. The later tl models have oil jet and vibration issues. Some people live with it and some get acura to buy the vehicle back. Some do not have it.

So, given all that you hear on this board, you are educated about the potential issues and you should make a decision. Your money your time your grief.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Banned

hashsi99
Every brand, every model have problems. There are alot of people here have major problems with their TLs, and some trouble-free and you have a few of whinny SOBs who pinpoints out every tiny little things. Overall, the TL is a great value and even though I cannot promise you won't get a trouble-free 2006, I'd think you should wait for the 2006 just because it'll be out in about 5 months. Now if you go around september and bargains for a 2005 (when 2006 comes out), you may get some nice deals.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies,

I like the car too much not to buy it, hopefully by July, but if it goes any longer i'll just wait and get the 06. I'm sure the TL will have less problems than my S4. If i can live with the S i'm sure I'll love the TL.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:08 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I'm in the same boat as yourself, hashi99. I've wanted the TL ever since it was introduced last year. Now that I can finally afford one, I'm debating whether or not to get it now or wait until the '06 comes out to get a really good deal on the '05. Another dilemma of mine is the color combo to go with since I have 3 in mind already. Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The TL may be produced here, but it is produced under Japanese standards. I don't get why so many people believe the TL would be better if it were built in Japan! That's just ignorant.

Perhaps they need to be reminded where the bulletproof engine came from, and where the failing transmissions came from.
i guarantee that if it was built in japan, it would be tighter and would have less rattles. the QA would be better. do your research before you make claims
Old 05-11-2005, 10:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
I felt the same way and my TL has been a great car.

FWIW, a colleague just sold his S4 for a new WRX since the S4's repair bills were adding up when it came off warrenty. We've talked and his Audi horror stories on repair cost are pretty amazing.

Also since this is just a internet forum and I often doubt if some of the folks on here who consistently bash Acura's even own one (heck they may even work for Toyota or Nissan).

One thing I did for a couple months last year before I purchased was ask some random TL owners that I saw in parking lots. I went up and asked them briefly how their experience has been. That gives you another source of data besides the normal Consumer Reports, Edmunds, JD Powers,... These forums are great but the exaggeration by some folks can polute the truth alot.

Originally Posted by hashsi99
Thanks for the replies,

I like the car too much not to buy it, hopefully by July, but if it goes any longer i'll just wait and get the 06. I'm sure the TL will have less problems than my S4. If i can live with the S i'm sure I'll love the TL.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Systems Overlord

I almost bought an 04 in August of last year, but decided to wait until the 05's came out. I've bought first model year/first year redesigned cars in the past and had problems with them. Currently I have over 12k miles on my 05 and no real problems to speak of. There are some people on this forum who constantly bash Acuras (I won't mention any names).

Every car will eventually make some noise you may consider a rattle. I think most people read about the rattles here and start listening harder to see if there car has any. I've driven a lot of cars over the years and so far find the build quality of my 05 just fine. The car is as tight as my wife's 03 530i.

I've had my 05 serviced at the dealership where I purchased it. The service folks at Rallye Acura have been nothing but curtious and professional.

If you really like the car then buy it. Choose the dealership wisely as all dealerships are not created equal.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Instructor

The bottom line is that you get what you paid for. There is a reason why everyone says the TL is a great value.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Acura is not a luxury car manufacturer. When do people get that through their heads... only one model is classified as a luxury model. The rest are just upscale cars.
Exactly.

$33 -- 35K is not a luxury price point and the TL is not a luxury car. Lexus, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc. make true luxury cars with price points to match. Acura makes "upscale" cars -- the TL is an entry-level luxury car, but you can't expect a dealer experience equivalent to true luxury brands. I think the dealer experience is about what it should be -- better than Honda, not as good as Lexus. I mean, the TL is not much more expensive than the Accord hybrid when it comes down to it, and it's cheaper than a fully loaded touring Odyssey

If Acura had a vehicel (and I'm not counting the NSX...) that competed with the A8 or the LX470, things would probably be different, but the RL has never been a big seller, and that means that Acura's typical sales price is probably on par with the G35 sedan, or even the Maxima.

It's a near-luxury brand, which means it's an incredible bang for the buck, but it's tough to expect a dealer to support luxury-level service when they don't sell true luxury cars.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Instructor

I'd be happy with Honda service. My Accords and Civics never vibrated like this POS and they cost 1/2 as much.