Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how much do you really your TL-S ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So how much do you really your TL-S ?

If you have seen my other thread you know I come from 3 TLs 04, 06 and 07. I sold my 07 last week and am deciding between a G35 and a TL-S. I'm looking for feedback of you TL-S owners? Especially if you came from a 3G TL. What do you lve and hate about it? I see mixed opinions about the Brembos and the rear suspension?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
If you have seen my other thread you know I come from 3 TLs 04, 06 and 07. I sold my 07 last week and am deciding between a G35 and a TL-S. I'm looking for feedback of you TL-S owners? Especially if you came from a 3G TL. What do you lve and hate about it? I see mixed opinions about the Brembos and the rear suspension?
I have about 1500 miles on the car and here are some of my observations:

Pros:
1. Styling - One of the best looking sedans on the road. Turns heads everywhere I go. The A-Spec kit is fantastic although I had to get used to the front spoiler.
2. Interior is very good looking
3. Backup camera
4. Excellent handling with the A-Spec suspension. I'm using the MT springs and I have an AT. The car has the perfect look with a smaller front fender well gap than the rear. I have to watch driveways although the car is not slammed.
5. Excellent power for Bay Area gridlock traffic.

Cons:
1. Brembos dust something awful. I have to clean my wheels daily.
2. Passenger mirror should also move down when backing up to help prevent scratching wheels.
3. Rear trunklids on most TL-S's have stamping imperfections. These imperfections are more noticeable on the darker colors. I had mine replaced and the new one is still not perfect.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came from an '02 BMW 540 6 speed. Major thing I don't like about the TL-S is the front wheel drive. Close to 300 hp up there is not good. Now the G35 is a nice car...looked at an AWD one. But they wouldn't bargain with me on my BMW. G35 is a little smaller inside too.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car looks and performs great, I get turned heads almost everywhere I go, the brembo's are Nice brakes but the brake dust is the main problem...my cars rear suspension has no problems..
Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
TYPE-S CBP MT

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
I have about 1500 miles on the car and here are some of my observations:

Pros:
1. Styling - One of the best looking sedans on the road. Turns heads everywhere I go. The A-Spec kit is fantastic although I had to get used to the front spoiler.
2. Interior is very good looking
3. Backup camera
4. Excellent handling with the A-Spec suspension. I'm using the MT springs and I have an AT. The car has the perfect look with a smaller front fender well gap than the rear. I have to watch driveways although the car is not slammed.
5. Excellent power for Bay Area gridlock traffic.

Cons:
1. Brembos dust something awful. I have to clean my wheels daily.
2. Passenger mirror should also move down when backing up to help prevent scratching wheels.
3. Rear trunklids on most TL-S's have stamping imperfections. These imperfections are more noticeable on the darker colors. I had mine replaced and the new one is still not perfect.
I've been a part of this forum for a while but never posted anything. I have a 2007 TL-S, 6 speed MT. You can drop the passanger side mirror when parking by switching the mirror adjustment button over the the passanger side and that will lower it for you when you reverse to paraller park. I hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:01 PM
TYPE-S CBP MT

By the way.... I love everythign about my TL-S. The power and handeling is complaments eachother well, it looks great and turns a lot of heads, the navi is the best i've ever used. The only bad this is the rims.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

I must admit, I have not seen one in my color combo..yet even a type S on the road since I got mine in March...and I don't live in the stix...
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by illstrategy
I've been a part of this forum for a while but never posted anything. I have a 2007 TL-S, 6 speed MT. You can drop the passanger side mirror when parking by switching the mirror adjustment button over the the passanger side and that will lower it for you when you reverse to paraller park. I hope this helps.
I went outside to try it n yes IT WORKS . This is why I love Acurazine
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

I like my TL-S alot!..I have had alot of good luck with ACURA/HONDA's ...It's a great car!.....comfortable, sporty, decent power, good handling,nice and firm ride, interior is Handesome & Executive(modern) like, it's way better compared to that of other's of a " Higher Prestige marque's" at this price range! ... it get's lot's of compliment's and nod's!...and the front wheel drive is great in the winter snow(mid-west), unlike RWD, the Con's , a little brake dust which is no big deal!..but for lazy people it is a inconvience!...a slight interior rattle's on very rough streets , but nothing that can't be fixed and is liveable !...best of all, the reliablity of HONDA/ACURA and great value for the money & resale value!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:52 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
About the Brembos, maybe its just me, but they dont seem to be any better than the regular one piston brakes (besides creating more dust). Also, it requires more effort/force to the pedal to get a good stop than any other cars I have own in the past. My old TSX brakes were even better.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Pro

I came from an '05 6MT/nav, and my new TL-S 6MT is a better car all around. It is hard to describe, but it feels all of one piece and much more solid than the old one.

I loved the '05, but the '07 is assembled so much better (at least mine), the steering is a night and day improvement in terms of its directness and accuracy, the seats are much more supportive and comfortable, and the leather is of much better quality. Even though it is basically the same, it feels like an entirely different car.

I don't really feel any more power, and I find the NavTraffic to be useless.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

So the barke issue, do TL-S pwners think the brakes dust as much or more than say G35 does, I see them with brake dust all the time. My regular TL rarely had brake dust build up between washings. Also does all this dust mean this thing is going to eat pads? I usually go 25K-30K easily on front pads.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:07 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
The tilt-down feature is meant for parallel parking and works on whichever mirror you have selected with the adjustment switch. I always leave it on the passenger side mirror since I usually parallel park on a two-way street but it is nice that you can change it to the driver's side if you have to park on the left side of a one-way.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Pro

Hmmm G35.... forget it. Go test drive both the TL-S and the G and then im sure you can make up your mind very easily. I was looking at a G35 before i made up my mind on my TL-S, and it has the looks on the outside, but the inside is cheap and plasticy. Thumbs way down on that. The Acura has both an amazing interior and exterior, superior power to most sedans in it's class, and exquisite handling. I only have 400 miles on my car, but even comparing it with my dads S class.... TL>S600 (bold statement but true)

Only con i have: i feel every little pebble in the road at lower speeds such as 40 mph and lower.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
I like my TL-S alot!..I have had alot of good luck with ACURA/HONDA's ...It's a great car!.....comfortable, sporty, decent power, good handling,nice and firm ride, interior is Handesome & Executive(modern) like, it's way better compared to that of other's of a " Higher Prestige marque's" at this price range! ... it get's lot's of compliment's and nod's!...and the front wheel drive is great in the winter snow(mid-west), unlike RWD, the Con's , a little brake dust which is no big deal!..but for lazy people it is a inconvience!...a slight interior rattle's on very rough streets , but nothing that can't be fixed and is liveable !...best of all, the reliablity of HONDA/ACURA and great value for the money & resale value!
Hey hey hey, what do you mean lazy people? U talking about me? LOL

I think it's the opposite: it doesn't both me a bit as I haven't gave her a bath lately ... but have marked on my calendar to do that next weekend: what a true Labor Day huh?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Instructor

can i ask you a personal question?

Are you established very well financially? I mean.....04, 06, now 07. and then another 07 / 08.

With a 22% automatic depreciation of the car when you sign on the dotted line, thas a lot of money lost.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
'07 TL-S = Best Car I've ever Owned.

For a daily driver it's got interior comfort, power, agressive good looks, etc.

We moved up from an '02 TL-S. This car is light years beyond in terms of handling and power. The ride, steering and braking are firm, but not hard or harsh.

While we had the '02, I also had 5 other sedans that I drove on a daily basis (mostly Big 3). The '07 outclasses everyone of them in any function I can think of.

The G35 is by all accounts and excellent car. The only knocks I know of are the cheap interior peices and the unispired look of the sedan.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMLInfinity
can i ask you a personal question?

Are you established very well financially? I mean.....04, 06, now 07. and then another 07 / 08.

With a 22% automatic depreciation of the car when you sign on the dotted line, thas a lot of money lost.
Nope, just a working stiff, but I negotiate reallly good deals and then can unload them when I want. My 04 TL I had 21 monthsm 06 I had 8 months and did OK. the 07 I had 8 months and got what I owed for it. I look at t as my "lease" option. I'll always have a car payment so I find that comfort space for the payment, negotiate a car to fit then when I sell I make sure I get what I owe or more then statr the process all over. Beleive it of not many people don't push dealers hard so when they see an 8 month old TL with Nav for $31.5K they are getting a good deal. And there is no automatic 22% deperciation. Mine took about 10% over 8 months. And right now I am close to gettinga TL-S for bascially for $500 under invoice, so I am already starting out $3K under MSRP.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a big problem with the type s.... I CAN'T STOP DRIVING IT
Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
6th Gear

It's the Best!

Overall, my 2007 TL-S Kinetic Blue Ebony-Silver interior is the best car I've ever owned. And I got it at DCH. I've always wanted a really sporty car and this is it. I've said in other forums here that you have to drive this car, it doesn't drive for you. I feel like I pay more attention to driving because I have to press the gas pedal harder, steer with more force, press the brake a bit harder...but it's more precise and controlable than other sporty cars I've owned. Hopefully my Valentine One will keep me out of trouble! If I let the car go for a week without washing, the front rims are covered with dust but it really doesn't bother me. You do feel the road more but that is what you have to expect from a sport tuned suspension.

Best Features so far (2500 miles):
Power/Acceleration
Awesome Handling...super flat in hard cornering
Super Sound System; plug for my IPOD
Styling-I've never seen so many people stare!

Cons:
HFL will not import my cell phone's phonebook
Real Time Traffic is almost useless
I prefer Sirius to XM but I'm going to keep it
All Wheel Drive would have made the car almost perfect
Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Nope, just a working stiff, but I negotiate reallly good deals and then can unload them when I want. My 04 TL I had 21 monthsm 06 I had 8 months and did OK. the 07 I had 8 months and got what I owed for it. I look at t as my "lease" option. I'll always have a car payment so I find that comfort space for the payment, negotiate a car to fit then when I sell I make sure I get what I owe or more then statr the process all over. Beleive it of not many people don't push dealers hard so when they see an 8 month old TL with Nav for $31.5K they are getting a good deal. And there is no automatic 22% deperciation. Mine took about 10% over 8 months. And right now I am close to gettinga TL-S for bascially for $500 under invoice, so I am already starting out $3K under MSRP.
so you unload your cars via private sale?

Most of the time it is 22%....atleast in canada.........i would assume if u unloaded them back to dealers u'd lose more?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved my former '06 TSX, but my new '07 TL-S is absolutely fantastic.

I Love
--------
-Sound of the engine
-Sound and appearance of exhaust
-Super-wide and effortless powerband
-Styling/appearance
-Interior space
-Suspension balance between ride and agility
-Red ambient lighting inside
-Everything is standard, no nickel-and-dime feature list
-Gear ratios with the 6 speed

I Hate
--------
-Engine pinging
-Third gear is balky
-DRLs, and the fact that the high beams don't also utilize that lamp
-Sound system sounds weird no matter what I do to it
-Horn sounds a little weak
-Turning radius isn't great considering the wheelbase

I looked at an Infinity G35 with a similar level of equipment. I don't care what anyone says, the sound of that Nissan engine was the deal breaker--I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this one, it sounds bad. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so don't get mad at me for having one.

The Lexus IS350 and BMW 330 just don't seem to have quite the interior space, though they are very nice performers. I used to work on Audis, so I won't own one. Therefore in my case the Acura was the best choice, and still is.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMLInfinity
so you unload your cars via private sale?

Most of the time it is 22%....atleast in canada.........i would assume if u unloaded them back to dealers u'd lose more?
Yes, private sales when it is leass than 18 months. Delaers try to rip you off on a newer car, they offered me only $28K.