Sponsored by:

Side Marker Amber Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Side Marker Amber Replacements

Ok guys...

I have read and seacrhed archives. I am going to be sending my headlights to our friend from the GEN II board within the next couple weeks to have him remove the amber reflectors (guess Ill HAVE to be the guinea pig). Therefore, one last issue with the amber remains:

Need to change the side marker bulbs to WHITE led's. I dont want the BLUISH-WHITE, just the super white with very very little blue hue or none at all. Im thinking with a slight tint/hue of blue, the smoke colored lense will cancel out any color. I personally think these side markers are useless and look kinda lame just being ON and acting as a "running light" so to speak. Why put them there if they don't blink...just my .02

I have been reading up on the forum and can see other members have completed the mod to make them blink..but i dont like the fact that they blink alternately from the head and taillights with the headlights on. Therefore, I want to just change the bulbs for now to WHITE. If i dont like the way they look WHITE and only fixed ON, I may do the blinking mod. However, I have two questions hopefully someone can answer:

(1) If you perform the blinking mod on the side markers, when the turn signal is not actuated (or blinking), does the side marker remain fixed ON when the signal is not in use?

(2) Do we HAVE to take the inner fenderwell lining off to access the side markers? Damn..if that's really the case, thats a poor design. No wonder they made them LED bulbs, so they never have to be changed because they are a PITA to get to. Why couldn't they have made them like every damn Bimmer that are easy to pop off...my only guess would be because of theft.

TIA for any info! Has anyone actually popped the side markers OFF and replaced the LED bulbs to WHITE or any other color?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The side marker is on while the parking light is on, then "blinks" out (opposite sync) when you turn on the turn signal. When the side marker is off, it will blink on when you turn on the turn signal (sync'd with the TS).

2. Yes.

3. No on the LED swap.