Sponsored by:

Should they paint the whole car???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should they paint the whole car???

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, just had a quick question. I had to take my 05TL to a body repair for some cosmetic damages that transpired when i was involved in an accident. So it's pretty much the whole driver's side that is going to have to be painted. Due to them having to put new doors, under body, and the front drivers corner (where the headlight is)...

My question is should i get them to paint the whole car or since they're doing the whole side of one side should that be good enuff? I guess it would be different if maybe they just had to paint one door or whatever, but do you think it'll be noticable if they paint that whole drivers side? OR should i have them paint the whole car?

let me know.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll have to pay more to have them paint the whole car. They will blend the paint and since it's not that old it shouldn't look too different.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Racer

AMIC...

Thanks for your comment. I was actually thinking the same thing by it still being fairly new, then you shouldn't really be able to tell. So i guess whenever it gets completed, i'll check it out and make sure everything checks out okay with it.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i wouldn't risk it....if u have the money to lay down....id go and repaint the whole car....i got in a few fender benders and breakers....and i had to have my whole back end replaced as well as my front end...and the paint match isn't so good....even after doing it over TWICE...depending on your color its harder to match
Old 02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Racer

It's black (Nighthawk Black Pearl) Do you think it could depend on if they do a good job or whatever? How much extra would it run?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

NBP is very easy to match....i don't think u should be worried......but its just something mental that would bother me...and depending on the shop....to paint the whole car....if ur doing it through insurance (just the one side) then expect to pay more than half of the cost....so a good paintjob would be 1500-2000 a REALLY good stage 3 paint job costs around 3000+ so expect to pay that...
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i think a full paint job costs more than 3k, i would say double that. anyway, see what kind of work the shop does on other cars, what kind of assurance they have about blending, etc. there are some shops that nail it, others that dont.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by subinf
i think a full paint job costs more than 3k, i would say double that. anyway, see what kind of work the shop does on other cars, what kind of assurance they have about blending, etc. there are some shops that nail it, others that dont.
6k is way too much for a paint job.....a good stage 3 paint job here in jersey will run 3000-4000.....it depends on the shop mostly...im sure some shops will go as high as 6k+ but ive been to many shops around here and ive gotten quoted around 3k-4k area MOSTLY...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

depends on the shop. i was in two fender-benders and both shops matched my paint perfectly. actuallly, the new paint is kinda more durable in some ways...
Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
6k is way too much for a paint job.....a good stage 3 paint job here in jersey will run 3000-4000.....it depends on the shop mostly...im sure some shops will go as high as 6k+ but ive been to many shops around here and ive gotten quoted around 3k-4k area MOSTLY...

i havent priced the TL out, i was going off of what the mustang cost. i would assume it would be slightly less but didnt think it was that low.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

^^^^

its probably where you live....but id assume the bay area would have cheaper prices due to the large racing/car enthusiast community
Old 02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by ac2001cls
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, just had a quick question. I had to take my 05TL to a body repair for some cosmetic damages that transpired when i was involved in an accident. So it's pretty much the whole driver's side that is going to have to be painted. Due to them having to put new doors, under body, and the front drivers corner (where the headlight is)...

My question is should i get them to paint the whole car or since they're doing the whole side of one side should that be good enuff? I guess it would be different if maybe they just had to paint one door or whatever, but do you think it'll be noticable if they paint that whole drivers side? OR should i have them paint the whole car?

let me know.
I think you're a bit paranoid. It's not worth it to repaint the car, because that means you'll be stripping the entire original paint off the car, which is just ridiculous.

Just make sure the shop is reputable, and that they'll re-paint it if the paint doesn't match (get it in writing, unless its a direct-repair shop for your insurance co).

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Racer

Thanks all for your comments. I'm like you ndx2, it wouldn't be worth it to faulk out all that money for that. According to a couple members on here and what i "haven't heard" about this place is that they're great quality, etc... The overall environment/physical attraction of the shop is really upscale and nice. So i don't think it'll be a problem.

The only thing i'm really worried about now is if it'll be enuff damage caused that it'll show on the reports or whatever. Should i run it by my sales rep that sold my car to me in "confidence" or whatever just to see what i can be expecting? or what? What would you all do? It's a lease.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ac2001cls
Thanks all for your comments. I'm like you ndx2, it wouldn't be worth it to faulk out all that money for that. According to a couple members on here and what i "haven't heard" about this place is that they're great quality, etc... The overall environment/physical attraction of the shop is really upscale and nice. So i don't think it'll be a problem.

The only thing i'm really worried about now is if it'll be enuff damage caused that it'll show on the reports or whatever. Should i run it by my sales rep that sold my car to me in "confidence" or whatever just to see what i can be expecting? or what? What would you all do? It's a lease.

never have your car repainted unless you don't care about the resale value. I had a 01 GT mustang that FORD repainted under warranty, and my resale value still went in the toilet. I finally had to eat the negative equity to get completely out of it.

I wouldn't say anything to the sale's rep about it. Let them find it themselves. But if you get the whole care repainted, they will be able to tell. Make sure the body shop does VERY good work. According to some body shops I have talked to in the past, I was told that some use tape and leave the panels on the car while repainting and therefore tape lines will show indicating paint work. Others remove the entire panel then paint it, according to to the body shop removing the panel then paint is the best way to go because the repair is harder to detect.

But the bottom line is the more paint work you have done the more it hurts your value. Since its a lease, repainting the whole car will only screw you big time in the end. Only repaint the panels you need to get done, and nay on painting the whole car. But again whatever you do, don't tell the sales rep. Let them find it themselves, if all goes well they won't even notice.

If you really want to know, call another dealership and ask anonymously about what happens in a case like this. don't give them your name or even what kind of car you drive.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Racer

Hey man i really appreciate the advice. That was good info. you provided me.