3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my Base (AT) and pickup a Type-S? (6spd)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Should I sell my Base (AT) and pickup a Type-S? (6spd)

Came across a Type-S 6spd not too long ago in my area, actually heard about it through a friend as its not posted online anywhere yet.
Mileage is about 140,000km, its 08 WDP with the aspec kit installed.
I went yesterday and gave it a quick look over, I haven't done much research on the 6spd, but the issues are pretty common between the M/t and A/t with some exceptions.
Owner said he had a new clutch installed, new tires and a new battery. Not much else was done to the car besides oil changes. Maintenance is going to be the first thing I do anyway, so I'm not too concerned with that. Just hope he provides me with some kind of paper work to establish the work was actually completed.
From what I saw, car is a solid 9/10 exterior, and about an 8.5-9 interior.
When I compare the interior to my current TL, its not as mint as mine but I was very fortunate to have bought mine in the condition I did. The 6spd is nice, but just not as nice.....this definitely isn't a deal breaker for me, but something to just consider.

So right off the bat, I noticed the fogs were not working on the 6spd. The indicator comes on the dash when the fog switch is turned on, but no output to the lights. My question is, is there a code our cars throw if the bulbs burnt out? If not, it could be something else....which is a bit concerning.

Second thing, owner mentioned there is a small noise coming from the driver side wheel. I drove it around the block, staying in second gear and it sounded like something to do with the hub assembly...any ideas?

Overall the car is solid, and I think Im in love......lost considerable amounts of sleep last night thinking about it lol
Since putting my car up online, I've already had several inquiries, so I dont think getting rid of mine will be an issue.
I'll definitely have to throw up some money to acquire the 6spd, and then also about another 2k on maintenance I want to get completed asap for peace of mind.

Thoughts? What would you guys do? What other things should I be looking for?
The 6spd btw is amazing lol....first TL ive driven stick and man o man, I dont know why I ever went to an A/t.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
no fog light warning.
could be wheel bearing.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
no fog light warning.
could be wheel bearing.
if its the wheel bearing.....how much cost is associated with that?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM

i think the OEM wheel bearing goes for 40-90 bucks....and then have an indie mechanic change it out for 40-90 bucks.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 761 Posts
1. No fogs would be the least of my worries.
2. Wheel bearing or Axle - Budget $400-$500 for the fix and if its a lot less you have money for mods!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,708 Likes on 6,715 Posts
Yes
Old 01-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
I would make the switch without a doubt. The 6mt is awesome!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really appreciated. I ran the VIN check and one accident came back for roughly 3700. Occurred in 2014 of June and only info listed on report is damage was to the front right side...so passenger side. Im still very interested in the car, this also gives me a little negotiation power in terms of price point.

So for 3700 what do you think makes up that cost?
I will try to obtain more info from the insurance agency in the meantime
Old 01-13-2017, 12:44 PM

a bumper is $250 + about $250 to paint.
a head light is close to $1k.
if an airbag deployed, that's another $1k.

that's roughly $2500-3000 right there
Old 01-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

I would say, Bumper, Headlight, Fender and paint. Hopefully no airbag deployment but I wouldn't rule it out.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM

got hit high or got hit hard to have fender damage!!
in the last 7 years, ive hit a lot of shit with my TL...havent messed up a head light or fender!

Im purely speculating on damage.. it could have been a gentle love tap
Old 01-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Love tap wouldn't deploy airbag, if airbag went I would assume headlight is gone and fender was pushed back by the headlight. Either way, dig into it a little or even ask the seller. See if he is honest or has pictures. Everyone has pictures of accidents!
justnspace (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 PM

I honestly could see hitting a high hitch or an edge of something metal to take out the headlight and fender.
and if only affected front right, that would be more probable than getting hit hard straight on

but again, im just speculating and dont know chit
Old 01-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Got a bit more info from the insurance agency. Damage was to front passenger side...near headlight.....explains why the headlight seems cleaner than driver side. Also, i think its a safe bet that airbag did not deploy from that side, again its more me hoping it didnt than actually knowing lol. All in all im sold on the car and probably putting down a deposit tonight and talking numbers. I dont think i even need to get it inspected as ill be performing the major maintenance pretty soon after purchase. Thoughts? Wish me luck!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

i would get it inspected so you know what you're dealing with. $100 bucks through a AAA certified place is well worth peace of mind or a way to negotiate a better price. hardest part is setting up a time to get the car inspected with the owner.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
yea man def get it inspected or at least get it on a lift to see what your working with.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Okay so i went and took a closer look at it. Noticed a few things exterior wise.
-a bit of rust on the fender above the wheel on driver side
​​​​​​-minor scuffs and a few chips over body, needs a good play bar and i will eventually perform a paint correction
​​​​​​-bottom grills near fogs dont seem to be type s ones....could be wrong....but in any case the bumper behind the grills is visibly chopped in places (meaning some cuts in the bumper) not sure if this from installing aspec kit
​-final thing is the rubber seal along the aspec kit. Its on front and back bumpers....not sure if its normal, pretty sure the kit isnt supposed to be showing that (easy fix thou, pull bumper off and remove seal and reinstall )

Now i will definitely consider a inspection since you guys have mentioned i should prob do it. Thing is it might be tougher than normal as the car is not insured, but will see tonight after speaking to the owner about taking into everything into account. If my desired price is reached. I will place the deposit and sort out a inspection date if i decide to do it. Thanks once again for the input.

Finally, what would you guys consider a good price? taking into consideration everything mentioned
As a reminder car is an 08 type s. Wdp with aspec kit.
Roughly 142,000 km
Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Jeff

well rust on the fender will require a full repaint of said fender. So factor that in
Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
well rust on the fender will require a full repaint of said fender. So factor that in
I might be able to get away with using rust remover and a touch up pen. Its roughly 4cm long and not even 1cm in width
Old 01-13-2017, 06:19 PM

^but where on the fender??
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just above wheel. So along the curve above the wheel
Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Like chipped huh?
if so, yes... Not bad and your plan of attack is excellent

And you went to go see the car again, and no pics!?!?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ill tale a few pics tonight. And upload. Any input as to pricing?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Chipping paint behind front bumper is par for the course on a car of this age. Mine is just about all gone.

I wanted to echo about getting that pre purchase inspection and specifically call their attention to the noise at passenger side wheel. A wheel bearing you can change on your own in an afternoon its not hard. Do it yourself for $60 or pay the dealership $450 to do it. BUT, if that noise happens to be related to that accident there could be more to it and I would really not risk it without a good inspection.

The car is not insured? Meaning he has not been driving it and its not road legal? Recent accident, and him coming forward about a noise. All red flags to me. Not trying to rain on your parade, it sounds like a great fixer up at a good price, just be realistic about it.

Last edited by GreenSpades; 01-13-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Oh Sickest TL (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its on the drivers side....not passenger. But i hear you. Already made up my mind that i will get an inspection done. Im starting to feel a bit turned off by the situation atm though. Havent been able to contact the guy after 1pm today, he knows i was coming today. Either his phone is dead or somethings up (i doubt it thou). Hopefully he gets back to me, convinced the wife to come dor a test ride as well
Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
As an alternative you can take it to a good autobody shop for the inspection. That's their specialty when it comes to collision repair.

Make sure the car doesn't pull to one side when driving straight or the steering wheel shaking, etc.

​​​
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tips! Got a hold of him....phone died....will be meeting him tom and ill upload a few pics as well.

If you guys have any insight as to a price feel free to leave some suggestions. I have my number already, just want to see if what hes asking is "reasonable"
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Thanks for the tips! Got a hold of him....phone died....will be meeting him tom and ill upload a few pics as well.

If you guys have any insight as to a price feel free to leave some suggestions. I have my number already, just want to see if what hes asking is "reasonable"
My bad I didnt read close enough, but glad you got what I was saying. Depending on condition and maintenance id say $12,000 would be reasonable. Ive never bought a type s tho only base 6spd. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

So first off thanks to everyone who gave their input, your guys' tips helped alot in reaching a decision.
I decided not to purchase the type-s and here's why.

Took it for a second drive, this time out of the block and actually got into 5th gear.
-Whatever the wheel bearing problem is, it was alot more prominent than I had first noticed.
-The owner does not appreciate what he has, being that car. So, hes a young kid but his respect and care for the car is almost non-existent.
-It didnt bug me so much before because I had decided I'm going to get it inspected anyway. But after seeing him simply move the car out of the driveway, I knew he didnt appreciate what he had and that was a major turn-off for me.
-opening up the car and actually "feeling it", I realized I did not feel as connected. He's definitely abused it and has not maintained it one bit. (hard to explain this but sometimes you just know)
-The shifts were decent, took me a couple shifts to get the hang of the clutch feel but even after that the car felt like it was being "dragged". Again, could just be me, but I just wasnt feeling it. Ontop of everything else, the car pulled hard to the right during acceleration. Funny thing is, ive driven manuals my whole life and the TL i currently drive is the only exception. In all my other cars, I had that engaged feel, with the type-s not so much.
-Road noise is absolutely brutal! Probably the tires but man o man was it loud in that cockpit - car has "comforser" tires on it.
-The biggest red flag of all was I caught him in his lies, literally.
-It didnt take much effort, but at the end of the drive I wanted to talk numbers, and atleast have a number on the table for him to contemplate.
-I set aside everything I had felt during the drive, with the exception of the wheel bearing noise, and just focused on facts- on what we knew about the car
-So I mention a few little imperfections on the car and then hit him with the accident back in 2014. Keep in mind, he specifically had said the car "has no accidents".
-After pulling the report the seeing the accident in 2014, I gave him the benefit of the doubt as he said he bought the car in 2015, so maybe he didnt know.
-Turns out he did know! He literally said "yeah I knew about that" I asked him wtf he wouldnt tell me (more politely of course), and his response was so misconstrued and shady that I knew right then and there I could not be happy with that car.
-I put 13,000 on the table before leaving, I felt that was fair. He had mentioned he had a new clutch and new tires (albeit totally shit tires) put on. So i factored in his costs, and my future costs.....also he still hasnt provided any paper for said clutch or tires.
-As soon as I got in my car, I felt a day and night difference in how I felt. Not even the seats, but just how the car drives, starts up, and just feels on the road generally. Again, this could be my comfort level with my vehicle, the different seats and tires. But I spoke to the wife, who had also been with me during the test drive, and we feel that you cant put a price on peace of mind - something we have in my current TL.

The 6spd was going to be my daily, and specifically mine as the wife cannot drive stick. Plus, she has her rdx to get her around. I factored in how much i've put into my car, maintainence and a bit on the exterior as well. My car is far from perfect, but im fine with that . I know for the forseeable future all I have is oil changes to take care, which means more money towards mods. So, probably going to dump a considerable amount on exterior mods since maintainence as been well looked after, I think itll help me get over the type-s lol

Thanks again to everyone who inputted, its great to know you have someone to turn to in matters relating to our vehicles.
Since I did not get to snap any pictures today, here is the link to the craigslist ad. - https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5927710233.html
Also, to anyone local looking at this car, I have the icbc report on email, so save your 21 bucks and pm me
justnspace (01-17-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Jeff

Glad you came to your senses. I was sketchy about it the whole time
Old 01-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL

Glad you came to your senses. I was sketchy about it the whole time
lol you couldve said something!
Old 01-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

His ad said he lost his license. That should have been the first red flag haha

glad you went with your gut! There's more manual type s cars out there just wait for the right one! I've driven a base automatic and it doesn't come close to a manual type s but then again I'm the original owner and have put so much time love and money into my car it's ridiculous haha. Good luck!!
Old 01-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Jeff

I was going to say something but didnt want to sound mean. I was going to tell you to be happy with what you have because you know what you have. Jumping into someones elses issues would have been a bad choice.

Do a manual swap
Old 01-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

haha thanks guys. Im totally with you sock1 on the amount of time and love put into our cars.......cant put a price on that.
lol @ sickestTL, manual swap - i aint trying to pull a frosty

now im seriously eyeing the aspec kit, chrome front grill (front end needs a refresh), and a few other things.......feels good to have no bought the car, I feel rich lol
Old 01-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Jeff

oh snap def get the a spec kit man
Old 01-15-2017, 02:34 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
I have thought about making the switch a couple time's, there was a kbp 6mt being sold in vancouver but it had more kms and was in an accident so I decided not to even bother, since I already had manual also 40,000 less km ... although I still wish I got it haha love kbp
Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Pro

Base AT that has been loved> Type S 6MT thats has been abused.

I can tell from the pictures alone that he is some kid new to the world.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GreenSpades
Base AT that has been loved> Type S 6MT thats has been abused.

I can tell from the pictures alone that he is some kid new to the world.
agree with you 100%, the urge for the type-s is overwhelming sometimes, I need to find a way to satisfy that urge lol
Old 01-17-2017, 06:51 AM

the main lesson here is that you went and checked out the car!
a used car will be a used car and you found that out!