Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get my paint defect fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get my paint defect fixed?

So, I have one minor paint defect similar to those already mentioned in the forum. The dealership has agreed to fix it, but they have to sand it down and blend the paint. Is it worth it to get it fixed? They will need my car for 2-3 days and will have to wait 3 months to do the carepoint protection again. They will give me a loaner...probably a MDX again.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by orskier
So, I have one minor paint defect similar to those already mentioned in the forum. The dealership has agreed to fix it, but they have to sand it down and blend the paint. Is it worth it to get it fixed? They will need my car for 2-3 days and will have to wait 3 months to do the carepoint protection again. They will give me a loaner...probably a MDX again.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by orskier

What do you guys think?

I'm doing it. Car going in Monday. Rocker panel replacement (the current one has a dollop of clear coat), paint bottom passenger door (slight contamination under paint), thress needle head sized spots on hood that they say can be removed and do not require paint.

I paid good $$$ for the money and I expect them to stand by their warranty. All the DIYs out there that correct headliners, rattles, etc... should just take the car to the dealer and let them worry about it (unless your dealer sucks, then that's another story).
Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Stealth geek.

Mine's in right now (NBP) for two defects on the hood. I took it up on Monday, it's now Thursday, and I haven't heard a peep from the dealer. They indicated that they'd either sand-and-blend or possibly repaint the whole hood. I'll let you know how it turns out. I hope hope hope to get it back tonight.

But I agree. You paid for the car. It should be as close to perfect as possible.

I'm jealous of your MDX. I'm tooling around in a Suzuki Aerio from Enterprice, "graciously" paid for by my dealer. Ugh.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Racer

Whoa! I'm getting a TSX loaner.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Stealth geek.

Originally Posted by pinito
Whoa! I'm getting a TSX loaner.
I was really hoping that I would too. I don't think that my dealer does loaners, though. I think they have a relationship with Enterprise and just comp you an economy car. I got passed by an '04 TL identical to mine on the highway last night while I was driving the rental. So of course I was giving the car lascivious stares since I'm separated from mine. The driver just grinned and floored it. I need a big bumper sticker on the Suzuki that says "My real car is much cooler."
Old 09-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Stealth geek.

FYI, my car came back flawless over the weekend (sigh of relief).
Old 09-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it might depend on how obvious the defect is. If it doesn't "jump out" at you or other people maybe it would be prudent to just let it go. Conversely, if it keeps bothering you, I would get it repaired. Does Dick Hannah do their own bodywork, or farm it out? If another firm does their bodywork, you might want to check with them and/or their clients for satisfactory workmanship. Good luck!

PS Sandy said my TL should be in on the 30th. Getting anxious.......
Old 09-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Stealth geek.

See, I'd worry about the future of the paint. A bubble could break in the future, or be an indication of contamination below the paint, which could lead to corrosion. A chip could corrode too. If the dealer is willing to fix the problem, I'd suck it up and give up your baby for a few days. Of course, if you're the kind of person that gets a new car every few years, maybe that doesn't matter as much. I had mine fixed...but it's because I'm a perfectionist
Old 09-21-2004, 05:30 AM
Racer

"indication of contamination below the paint, which could lead to corrosion"

Amen. This is exactly why I have. It is small on the lower passenger door but I was concerned about what would happen in time. She is getting a repaint on the area this week. Dealer looked at it and said "Yup- warranty issue".
Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Cruisin'

Heres a pic!

I agree that

So here ya go! My camera was out of commission for a week or so.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Stealth geek.

I think that's a rust spot waiting to happen.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have minor chips in my front bumper where it meets the passenger-side quarter panel. I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle especially since it's stabilized (hasn't worsened) since it occurred last year.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

i have the exact paint defects..... but they are along the foot plate area....... around the "ACURA" foot plate..... is that common?.... or do u guys think i should have the dealer fix it?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Pearl White Paint defect...

I have notice that my front and rear bumper have a slight color match difference with the main body.....it is quite annoying because if you look on either side of the car...I notice the difference...but looking from the front and rear..it does not look diff.

I think because of the pearl look that it makes it look like a diff shade....

Anyone with Pearl White TL notice the same thing?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Instructor

This has been covered repeatedly. Acura blames it on softeners that are added to the paint in the bumper areas to make it more pliable. It's noticeable with several of the colors.