16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Should i buy a TL? OR......

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i buy a TL? OR......

Ok, so i know this is a TL board, and people will be partial, but i have to be the most indecisive person in the world when it comes to a car. I think my problem is i love cars entirely way to much, and need 10 of them. Unfortunately i cant afford 10 cars right now, but maybe 1 day. I am 23 years old right now. Just moved out, i know 23, but i really get along great with my parents, and still plan to visit them as much as possible. Anyway, i have a decent amount of money saved, as a down payment. I will put down at least 10K. So right now i am really thinking a used 05/06 TL. I dont really want to spend the coin on a Type S, and i only want a Manual car. Other than my current car, which is an Acura Cl, every car i have had was manual. Another car that has caught my Eye, is the New A5 that is coming out. But that requires me waiting longer, and i still think i like the TL better. Other choices are an Evo, g35, C5 Vette.

Evo- im looking around 25k for a used one, if i got this car i would sell my Cl, and just use it as an every day car, but bad gas mpg, and i would want to mod it. Also car not as reliable, not as luxurious, target for cops. Still a nice car, faster, and Awd are pluses.

G35-Id prolly be looking at 4 door. Very nice car, but dont like it as much as a TL, so i think its just out of the running.

c5 Vette. 97-2004. I love these cars, My buddy has a z06, and everytime i get off the vette kick, i drive his car and damn. Definatly faster, handles better, looks great, but i will mod, not so great mpg, not so reliable. If i got a Vette i would keep my Cl as a daily driver.

A5 2 door coupe, kinda want a 4 door, never had 1. Again i would get rid of the Cl, and have it as a daily driver. Awd, looks really great, not sure price yet, and will be waiting a while.

TL. I really think this is my best option. I know its Reliable, Looks amazing, Semi quick, Handles great. Tons of features, and technology. I would Sell the cl, and just have the Tl if i got this car. Will be better for any possible lifestyle changes that could come up, ie kids, or what ever. Also better for dragging my nephews around.

So, im really thinking a TL, but i just wanted to post up, and see peoples ideas / opinions. Thanks, Chris
Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Intermediate

I Forgot to add Evo to the Poll. Anyone that thinks evo over all else, just post it. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
From a money and efficiency perspective, you're better off driving, maintaining and insuring 1 car rather than 2. And I wouldn't take chances on getting a first year of any car, let alone an Audi, without having a reliable back-up car.
That leaves you with the TL.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the TL is one of the best the total packages if you are not looking to become a street racer, or need AWD.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I say neither. Drive the CL and do regular maintenance on it so it will last forever and save up for a down payment on a house. House's will always go up in value instead of car that will depreciate. And plus, chicks dig a guy with his own house :wink:
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

I actually have a decent amount of money set aside for a down payment on a house to. I just want to make sure i like my new career 100% before making any major commitments, ie house. The Cl is a great car, but i have driven so many miles the last couple of years, between commuting to college, and working far away, i kinda live in the middle of no where, the cl just went over 150k, which makes me want a newer car. Cl is paid off of course, ill just keep my eye open for a good deal on a tl i think.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

You may want to look at the intangibles like what it will cost to insure the vehicles your looking to buy. A Vette can be costly to own and keep up. I use to work at a two Chevrolet dealerships so I have seen the pain owners go through. If you have 10k to put down and you plan to own the car three or more years you might want to look at buying new. An 05/06 TL has not depreciated that much and you could be inheriting someone else's problems and paying almost new prices. Just my
Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VT06TL
You may want to look at the intangibles like what it will cost to insure the vehicles your looking to buy. A Vette can be costly to own and keep up. I use to work at a two Chevrolet dealerships so I have seen the pain owners go through. If you have 10k to put down and you plan to own the car three or more years you might want to look at buying new. An 05/06 TL has not depreciated that much and you could be inheriting someone else's problems and paying almost new prices. Just my
^ that a good tip

Where do you live, Sidewayz?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Pro

when i was 22 my 99 vette was 375 month for insurance(perfect driving record). looking back i should have never paid it. i would say wait a couple of years. get a nice used tl (04-06 of course )for now.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

i would go for the new g35 if i did it again.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
looks like you are basing your choices on what you can afford at a certain price.

thats usually a bad way to justify/rationalize a car purchase. seriously. if you have that mindset, good luck.

you should narrow down what you want : performance? value for the money? most tech toys for the dollar? fuel-efficient ride? car that combines most?

that said, an Evo with about 2K worth of mods will make life hard for any vette (shy of the Z06 and supercharged ones), and literally blow everything else on your list right out of the water. i wouldnt touch a vette unless its a Z06. well the rest, ill pass.

good luck
Old 03-25-2007, 04:19 PM
gimme a 4G !!

Have you ever been to an Evo board? or talked to an Evo owner?

I pulled in behind a guy with an 06 MR at a gas station and felt compelled to ask him about his car. He said he loved his car, but the upkeep (tires, tire rotation, gas, oil changes, etc) were killing him.

Just
Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Dedpheonix
Have you ever been to an Evo board? or talked to an Evo owner?

I pulled in behind a guy with an 06 MR at a gas station and felt compelled to ask him about his car. He said he loved his car, but the upkeep (tires, tire rotation, gas, oil changes, etc) were killing him.

Just
are you asking the OP or me?

I own an Evo team and had an MR. Yes its true. the OEM tires (Advan A046s) will only last you about 8000 miles driven regularly. so without rotating that regularly, they will go out fast.

There is an inherent negative camber built into a stock Evo suspension. combined with the sticky OEM tires, it is what gives the Evo its handling magic. oil changes are like *any* other car, but because of the increased heat generated, you need to change oil at 3K or 3 months, whichever comes first. Gas is *alright*, the Evo comes with 550cc injectors and a high flow fuel pump. so when the urge to step on the gas (which is common) comes, you know that you can make the fuel gauge needle move with yor right foot as soon as boost hits.

then again, the Evo is not just for any person. if you dont have a good, steady-paying job (i.e. the majority of young people that own evos nowadays), then yes, owning one will kill you financially.

just my
Old 03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidewayz
c5 Vette. 97-2004. I love these cars, My buddy has a z06, and everytime i get off the vette kick, i drive his car and damn. Definatly faster, handles better, looks great, but i will mod, not so great mpg, not so reliable. If i got a Vette i would keep my Cl as a daily driver.
I had a '99 hardtop before I got my TL. Gas mileage is better than you'd think. 30mpg+ on long highway trips, only a couple miles less than the TL in mixed drving. It has a surprizingly large trunk so actually works well as a DD if you dont need the extra passenger space. It was my only car for 3 years. They're reasaonably reliable cars and cheap as hell to fix. only thing that will really screw you is the electonics going bad. Fun fun car. I miss it, but I needed something newer as mine almost had 100k on it when I sold.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Yes im a pretty frequent poster at Evo m, and sevearl of my good friends, have evo's/sti's. Ive driven them a ton, just things like cost of parts ie, diffs, brakes, other normal matenience stuff can be pricey. Idealy if i got a vette it would be a 99-00 Frc, or an 01 z06, except 01 z06's have oil consumption problems, so i would probably have to re ring it, but could do that while puttin in a bigger cam anyways. I Guess im gonna wait a little bit and see how my job pans out, and see what i need to get to and from work, and then try to have a car i can have some fun with to. Thanks for all the great posts. Chris
Old 03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Racer

If you dont mind driving a FWD, then by all means, get the TL. Probably the best FWD sport sedan.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
when i was 22 my 99 vette was 375 month for insurance(perfect driving record)
All I can say is...

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
i wouldnt touch a vette unless its a Z06. well the rest, ill pass.
Really? I think the base Vette's are sweet: price is relatively reasonable, 400hp engine that can EASILY be squeezed for more (only b/c you mentioned modding an Evo), plenty of fun gadgets, great cruiser, and great looks. Perhaps it's just me, but having done the import/streetracing scene in my late teens/early 20s, I've come to realize only so much horsepower is actually useful in 98% of driving I do.

But to get back on topic, I say avoid any Europeans at this stage in your life Sidewayz. Either keep what you have and wait a bit or get something you can rely on but still enjoy; that's why I got my TL. Best of luck in your decision, hope it works out for the best regardless.