3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy the Extended Certified 100K bumper to bumper warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should I buy the Extended Certified 100K bumper to bumper warranty?

I'm buying an 07 TL Type-S tomorrow. The car has 41000 miles on it. It's certified so the powertrain is to 100K, but the bumper to bumper is only to 62K since they just extend the original warranty by 12K.

The extended warranty is $1200. When you look at it that's the cost for extending it for another 38K. Should I do this? I know these car are pretty solid and $1200K seems like a lot.

My last 4 CPO cars were bumper to bumper to 100K and it was included in the price so I'm not sure what to do. I've bought many cars over the years and never had this dilemma.

Input please...thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Absolutely. Let me add up the total for my repairs [documented] ones and you'll see how much of a value $1200 is.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Ok; so out of my 17 service orders, about 5 of them had actual amounts for a total of roughly $5100 in warranty work. Most of my repair orders just say N/C due to the warranty but some of them have the price.

Things that didn't have a price include driver mirror replacement, HFL replacement, 'metering gauge' replacement, driver memory controller, a few power steering pumps, headliner fix, 3rd brake light cover, trim issues.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you haven't purchased yet, just make sure it is Acura Care.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Back in a Type S

Let me clarify...it's an Acura Care Certified warranty that covers the car bumper to bumper to 100K miles.

I know it's late, but I hope more of you respond. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I have never bought an extended warranty and have never needed one. You're likely to only hear from people who have used their extended warranty, but that is likely to be skewed and not represent the 1000's of people that bought and never needed their warranties.

I have had 6 cars with no major issues, so I figure I have saved about $3-4K easily in out of pocket cost and more when you factor in lost interest or investment proceeds- possibly 10k or more in 20+ years time.

I have never needed a manufacturer's warranty for a major repair either. Perhaps I have been lucky but I figure a lot of this has to do with what make/model you buy in the first place. It's hard to go wrong buying a Honda product.

You also have to keep in mind that if insurance companies couldn't make money offering extended warranties they wouldn't be selling them in the first place. In the worst case, the $1200 saved up front on a warranty could be applied towards a major repair in the unlikely event you have one.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink Hmmm I may be a newbie but.....

If the Nav system were to go out thats like a 2K repair... While I may not ever need it, the extended warranty is insurance against the dreaded unknown... As this is a used purchase... and you were NOT the original owner I would MAKE sure I purchased the Extended coverage... just look at it as protection "In case of" In case something expensive goes south...

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I have never bought an extended warranty and have never needed one. You're likely to only hear from people who have used their extended warranty, but that is likely to be skewed and not represent the 1000's of people that bought and never needed their warranties.

I have had 6 cars with no major issues, so I figure I have saved about $3-4K easily in out of pocket cost and more when you factor in lost interest or investment proceeds- possibly 10k or more in 20+ years time.

I have never needed a manufacturer's warranty for a major repair either. Perhaps I have been lucky but I figure a lot of this has to do with what make/model you buy in the first place. It's hard to go wrong buying a Honda product.

You also have to keep in mind that if insurance companies couldn't make money offering extended warranties they wouldn't be selling them in the first place. In the worst case, the $1200 saved up front on a warranty could be applied towards a major repair in the unlikely event you have one.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
It is just like any insurance policy, life, health, auto; the company is banking on you not using the policy, while you think you might. The life policy is one that we will all use at some time.
Back to the question, it is personal preference, but call 1-888-RAY-LAKS and check the pricing as you might find it more appealing. I have the Navigation system and decided to purchase the warranty ($850), haven't needed it in the 2 years I've had the TL, and hope I never do, but a piece of mind. Just remember that it is not a 100% bumper to bumper warranty as there are many items that are not covered.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Do you get your money back if you never had to use the extended warranty when the 100K runs out?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Do you get your money back if you never had to use the extended warranty when the 100K runs out?
Don't think so. Do you get your money back if you don't use your auto insurance policy, your homeowners policy, or how about your health insurnce? It is money gone forever.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
NBP REPRESENT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depending on how many miles you do......38,000 miles in lets say 3 yrs just less than 13,000 miles

can you justify $400 per yr for potential problems? if so go for it, if not let it slide...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Don't think so. Do you get your money back if you don't use your auto insurance policy, your homeowners policy, or how about your health insurnce? It is money gone forever.
a warranty and insurance are not the same; for some reason I think warranties are refunded based on the remainder of the warranty [ie; if you have 5k left on your warranty you'll get a calculated refund of the original price]

Not 100% sure but I've seen it somewhere re: refunded unused portions..
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I called my dealership and if you buy the extended warranty and you NEVER use it, you DON'T get any refund at all.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM
6th Gear

For what it's worth, my dealership will fully refund the warranty if I do not use it.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by timmahh
a warranty and insurance are not the same; for some reason I think warranties are refunded based on the remainder of the warranty [ie; if you have 5k left on your warranty you'll get a calculated refund of the original price]

Not 100% sure but I've seen it somewhere re: refunded unused portions..
You'll also get a refund on insurance policies if you cancel them before the expiration date.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

You'll also get a refund on insurance policies if you cancel them before the expiration date.
notthesamestill
Old 09-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Racer

Be careful with Acura Care if you have mods... If they send an adjuster and they see that you have mods that are not from Acura (i.e. A-Spec) they will not pay your claim!! Even if you upgrade the stereo with a sub... they will not pay!! Check before buying...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro

what does the bumper to bumper cover?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

notthesamestill
What's not the same? Enlighten me. It's a policy you pay for and if cancelled before ending date you get a refund. Don't know about a warranty on a vehicle, but you're the one stating that you would get a refund on this also. Sounds like the same to me.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lenjaiah
what does the bumper to bumper cover?
What is NOT covered:
Wiper blades, battery, cables, steering wheel, belts, radiator hoses, heater hoses and vacuum hoses, spark plugs, timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance, exhaust system, head pipes, tailpipes, catalytic converter, mufflers, hangers, heat shields, gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket), and related fastening hardware, fuel system, fuel tank straps, fuel hoses, brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads, clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, external shift linkages, pilot bearing/bushing, glass, mirror glass, body parts, body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers), hood fenders, doors, rear hatch, trunk lid, grille, panels, bright metal, sheet metal, paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLR color only), bumpers moldings, lenses, bezels, bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs), H.I.D. headlamps, sealed beams, fuses, body seals weather strips, (except for window sash and window run channels), outside ornamentation, emblems, tires, valve stems, wheel covers/ornaments, wheel locks, fastening/security hardware for non-covered components, stripped or cross threaded fasteners, body seals, squeaks, rattles, buttons, carpet, dash pad, console, window handles, knobs, boots, pedals, pads, rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror), interior trim, upholstery, floor mats, electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than American Honda authorized electronic/audio accessories/navigational, DVD entertainment and security systems. Safety restraint system fastening hardware, seat belts and air bag(s) deployed due to collision.

Other than above, its bumper to bumper!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
What is NOT covered:
Wiper blades, battery, cables, steering wheel, belts, radiator hoses, heater hoses and vacuum hoses, spark plugs, timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance, exhaust system, head pipes, tailpipes, catalytic converter, mufflers, hangers, heat shields, gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket), and related fastening hardware, fuel system, fuel tank straps, fuel hoses, brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads, clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, external shift linkages, pilot bearing/bushing, glass, mirror glass, body parts, body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers), hood fenders, doors, rear hatch, trunk lid, grille, panels, bright metal, sheet metal, paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLR color only), bumpers moldings, lenses, bezels, bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs), H.I.D. headlamps, sealed beams, fuses, body seals weather strips, (except for window sash and window run channels), outside ornamentation, emblems, tires, valve stems, wheel covers/ornaments, wheel locks, fastening/security hardware for non-covered components, stripped or cross threaded fasteners, body seals, squeaks, rattles, buttons, carpet, dash pad, console, window handles, knobs, boots, pedals, pads, rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror), interior trim, upholstery, floor mats, electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than American Honda authorized electronic/audio accessories/navigational, DVD entertainment and security systems. Safety restraint system fastening hardware, seat belts and air bag(s) deployed due to collision.

I am a little surprised that the catalytic converter is not covered to 100k. This is usually covered to 80k anyways on most cars.

What if the timing belt goes before 100k(not sure if that could happen, but in a hypothetical situation).

The Nissan warranty that I had(for my Maxima) before jumping ship to Acura covered HID lamps, so does BMW and Audi.

Does fuel system include the Fuel pump and the injectors? Why would they not cover that? That is not a wear and tear item. Suddenly I am not too happy about buying Acura care warranty.

Lastly, if you do not use your warranty and if you are within the 100k, the warranty company usually refunds a fraction of what you paid depending on mileage at termination and the duration that you had the warranty.
Rick.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Back in a Type S

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to not purchase the warranty. Based on what was covered I'll take a chance and save (I hope save) my $1200.

I fully covered to 62K and with the exception of a few things most of the expensive stuff (powertrain) is covered to 100K.

I've owned a 2003 TL Type-S in the past and with the exception of 2 trannys being replaced under warranty it was very solid. I hope I have the same luck this time around. The car looks brand new and the A-Spec package is a huge plus. I haven't seen many A-Spec TL-S on the road. I'll post some pics up soon.

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

What is NOT covered:

The HID Bulbs are not covered but the components are. The bulb wears like any other light bulb; but I had my regulator and ignitor replaced under warranty. Also, the emissions related parts warranty varies from state to state doesn't it?

RE: Insurance vs. warranty; they are different.

If you buy 6 months of auto insurance, and in 6 months cancel it, you get no money.

If you buy an auto warranty, and in 6 months cancel it, you get a refund for the unused portion of that warranty.

Does that make sense? Maybe it doesn't, i'm not sure, but it makes sense to me. If they were the same they would sell Automobile Warranties for car accidents.

OP - Congrats on the purchase!

Last edited by timmahh; 09-11-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

The HID Bulbs are not covered but the components are. The bulb wears like any other light bulb; but I had my regulator and ignitor replaced under warranty. Also, the emissions related parts warranty varies from state to state doesn't it?

RE: Insurance vs. warranty; they are different.

If you buy 6 months of auto insurance, and in 6 months cancel it, you get no money.

If you buy an auto warranty, and in 6 months cancel it, you get a refund for the unused portion of that warranty.

Does that make sense? Maybe it doesn't, i'm not sure, but it makes sense to me. If they were the same they would sell Automobile Warranties for car accidents.

OP - Congrats on the purchase!
To answer your question, no, the example doesn't make much sense. They are all policies that the issuer hopes that you will never use. Using your example, if you purchase 6 months of auto insurance and cancel it in 6 months, you're correct, you receive no refund, same as an extended warranty, purchase a 1 year warranty and cancel it in 1 year you'll get no refund. Now with the 6 month auto policy, if you cancel in 3 months you'll get a refund. Pay the policy for 1 year coverage and cancel in 8 months you'll get a refund.
Enough of this off subject debate.

The previously listed "not covered" items were taken directly from the Acura Care Warranty booklet, and there are probably variables to those warranted items.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to not purchase the warranty. Based on what was covered I'll take a chance and save (I hope save) my $1200.

I fully covered to 62K and with the exception of a few things most of the expensive stuff (powertrain) is covered to 100K.

I've owned a 2003 TL Type-S in the past and with the exception of 2 trannys being replaced under warranty it was very solid. I hope I have the same luck this time around. The car looks brand new and the A-Spec package is a huge plus. I haven't seen many A-Spec TL-S on the road. I'll post some pics up soon.

Thanks again.
Here's an idea to help hedge things. You just saved $1200 by not buying the warranty? Place $300 in the bank or buy a mod if you want. With the other $900, buy some U.S. Silver Eagle coins- those will set you back about $18-19 at the moment. These were going for $16 in August and have been moving up rapidly of late.

I expect the Eagles to get up to $25 in less than one year and $32 in less than 2 years time. (There are many reasons for this appreciation that belongs in the Money & Finance subforum. ) If you should need a major repair in the future, those Eagles will pay for a major portion of your repair if not the entire repair. If you don't have a repair, you will most-likely double your money in 3 years time.