Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy '05 TL with 173k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy '05 TL with 173k?

So I am in the market for a newer winter car. Previous car was 1997 Honda Accord V6, had her since 2000. I've found what looks like a nice Acura TL with 173xxx, fully loaded navi etc.... for 5k. My question is should i take the gamble and purchase this vehicle with high miles? Are there issues i should be worried about with buying a used car with this many miles. Thank you in advance for the advice and input.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Has the car been well maintained? Acuras will last a long time if you treat them right. (There's actually an 04 on Craigslist in my area with 295k on it).
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
TRANSMISSION. if not, you good to rock. theres members on here with 200k+
Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I agree with others- the TL is a strong car for high miles and there are lots of people on this forum that have shown that.

My advice is this: $5,000 doesn't buy much car and any car at that price will have some issues with it (safety, maintenance, cosmetics, etc.). If the TL looks in good shape (everything works) and has had a one or two owners with all/most of the receipts, I would buy one. You just have to know that there might be some maintenance on the horizon- after all you get what you pay for.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Manual or Auto?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Cruisin'

The car is an auto btw and is being sold at a used car lot that is part of pretty reputable dealership in MN. From the photos online she looks good. I will most likely go check it out in person this weekend. Also on the ad it says it needs a navi disc, how much are those?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
ask for maintenance records. Maintenance is really all that matters. You could try looking in the electronics and navigation subforum
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Buy it
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
auto trans, would not buy....
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
For $5000 and if it runs well, it is likely worth the gamble. Buying used is always a gamble of sorts (but a whole lot cheaper than new). Buy it, get all the fluids changed and see if it had the timing belt and water pump changed (if that's possible). If not, realize that the belt is at the end of its useful life and you risk it breaking without warning. See if there's service records with the car, even for other fluid changes. Don't plan on putting a lot of money into the car for mods and the like...use it for what it is (a high mileage daily driver). Maintain it properly and drive it for as long as you can.

By the way, Navi discs are easily available, and you may even consider getting an older disc (like 1 edition behind) as this will also save some money.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by fast_eddie
So I am in the market for a newer winter car. Previous car was 1997 Honda Accord V6, had her since 2000. I've found what looks like a nice Acura TL with 173xxx, fully loaded navi etc.... for 5k. My question is should i take the gamble and purchase this vehicle with high miles? Are there issues i should be worried about with buying a used car with this many miles. Thank you in advance for the advice and input.
Simple...pay the $100 - $150 and have it inspected by a reputable mechanic.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
The navi disk cost around $50 to $100 depend on used or new. As far as for the car concern I would worry about the transmission and the navi drive unit itself, just pay for a dealer to inspect the whole car out.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
5K doesn't buy much, hopefully the tranny fluid has been changed regularly and the timing belt service was done near 105K. If so buy it, if not plan on spending a few hundred extra for a tune up/timing belt service and a few grand on a trans.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
....with all/most of the receipts, I would buy one.
I haven't sold or bought a car ever that had all the receipts. It is doubtful I could even produce any receipts at all for my TL. My prior two cars were maintained strictly by myself and no way I could have provided any receipts.

Most cars will be fairly obvious on how well they were maintained and cared for. A good visual check around and under the entire car as well as getting it checked out by a trusted mechanic are a good option. My wife's car was purchased used out of town so we didn't have a mechanic to take it to. I had the dealership take it into the shop and put it up on a rack so I could get a good look at the undercarriage. Being able to see how clean/dirty various component are, signs of accidents/damage, oil leaks, brakes, tires, and just about anything else normally out of sight.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Drifting

^ Really? I have bought only three used cars and all the cars bought from individuals had receipts. The one car I bought from a dealer did not have receipts and I can understand why- somebody traded the car in.

I like receipts because they give a time frame for when maintenance was done and who did the service. How would you really know that the timing belt was replaced if you didn't have a service receipt?

I would say an individual that doesn't save the receipts probably cuts corners on other things for the car as well. After all, how hard is it to have a folder that contains the receipts on your car? All things being equal, I would choose the car from the guy that has his receipts over an equally nice car with no documentation whatsoever.

Whenever I sell my car, I'll have all receipts, window sticker, brochures, and even Car And Driver magazines covering the TL- my car is fully documented. This stuff as well as the general shape of the car ALWAYS sells to first serious buyer- going strong for 5 straight sells.

Advice for the OP: beg, borrow, or steal an orange DVD (year is not super important) to determine if the navigation really works. It's a costly repair if the nav doesn't work- there might be a reason why the DVD is missing.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
I like receipts because they give a time frame for when maintenance was done and who did the service. How would you really know that the timing belt was replaced if you didn't have a service receipt?
In my previous cars where I did all my own maint I didn't keep receipts, but I did keep a log of it all. And major service I get done at the dealer so there is record of that.
I would say an individual that doesn't save the receipts probably cuts corners on other things for the car as well. After all, how hard is it to have a folder that contains the receipts on your car?
I have the attention span of a 5 year old and therefore never remember to take the receipt out of my car and keep it in a normal place. I usually remember a month or two later when I find it wadded up under my seat. I have been trying to break myself of my pack rat ways from my younger years when I kept everything...and I mean everything. At one point I think my glove box was stuffed from gas, oil change, tire rotation, car wash, and just about any other kind of receipt you could imagine. After about 5 years of that....I just threw it all out. I figure by the time I am ready to sell, it won't be worth that much and it won't matter.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
For $5k, if it checks out, its a lot of car for the money.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Buy it!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Racer

That comment about someone that doesn't keep receipts is probably cutting corners is utter nonsense
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

this is all just my personal opinion so don't bash me i just wanna give u my 2 cents. personally i would steer clear of the early year 3g models. 99-04 Auto TL's had recalls for the failed transmission. for 5k that isnt a bad deal by any means, i just h think you should weigh out your options and make sure thats really what you want before getting it. they are infamous for the tranny prematurely failing and thatll run you 3k on the low end. they completely redesigned the transmission for the 07-08 models in order to allow more lubrication to prevent overheating. try looking for a high mileage newer model 3g, i think you would be much more satisfied. i would hate to see someone get a nice car and have to replace transmission 2 months later!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Cruisin'

it all boils down to what YOU want, though. if thats what you want, then by all means GET IT!!! good luck on the car search!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Drifting

It took a while finding the feature, but I highly recommend the 'ignore list' option in your account settings to filter one recent user that seems to have plenty of 'enlightening and positive' posts to read. I have just one entry and the feature really does work!

OP good luck in whatever you do but remember 5K won't buy much car these days- almost any car will have issues.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Racer

Sweet I'm going to try it on lacosta
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would say an individual that doesn't save the receipts probably cuts corners on other things for the car as well. After all, how hard is it to have a folder that contains the receipts on your car? All things being equal, I would choose the car from the guy that has his receipts over an equally nice car with no documentation whatsoever.
It's unfair of you to say that someone without receipts most likely cuts corners. Some people are enthusiasts and like to work on their own cars so they won't have records. Some people just never plan on selling their car, always taking good care of it, so they never kept their records.

Of course, when buying a car, I would always ask for the records because I would rather have those records than not, but I'm not going to rule a seller out because he/she didn't have records.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Drifting

I probably was not clear on things regarding receipts. I work on my cars too (I have been the only one changing the oil for example), but have receipts for big ticket items like tires, wheel alignments, AT 3/4 sensors, bulk orders of Redline ATF and the like. For oil changes, I simply tear off the top of the Purolator oil filter boxes and keep them in an empty oil filter box in my garage. There will be one top per oil change which is recorded in an Excel document- not super hard to do. I'll admit that I might be a little anal on this sort of thing but it's definitely no burden to do.

Buying a 173k car with absolutely no documentation for anything from an individual would seem fishy to me. I would want to see proof about a timing belt change and when it occurred for example. For many people, a car is their 2nd most expensive possession next to a house- seems like somebody would want to save a receipt for tires, timing belt or transmission repair if they did that. After all how would you exercise a tire warranty?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I have all of the receipts for my car for any work done at the dealership, I also have receipts for any work that I have done myself. I will not give them to the new owner but I will let them see them.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I say no. The best years of the car were in the history. Yes it may run another 100k but it may also give you a bad head gasket the week you buy it. Dont expect a maintenance free ride in it because some other random people on the internet says his honda has quarter million miles and still runs great. That's just naive. Cars need more and more works to keep running as they age is a fact. Take emotions out of the equation. Personally i would not buy a high milage luxury car. If had to, i go for cheap compacts. Understand people here love their Acuras. So am i. But logics are aganst you to buy a high milage luxury unless it's super cheap. I don't think 5k is cheap enough.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Racer

i'll argue that point leo. $5k is quite cheap for a 3rd gen tl. I doubt if you run a search in a 500 mile radius of your location you will find one with comparable or lower miles at or below the $5k price with a clean title.

conversely, he could buy the car and have nothing wrong. inherently you could argue that there's a linear correlation between increased mileage and increased problems, but there things called outliers. this car may or may not be one.

for $5k if it's the car he wants take a shot. the car is priced pretty close to it's floor, meaning he could sell at any time for around or more than his purchase price.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:15 AM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
both of my Lexus went out at 200 K the transmission but that's Toyota I have an extra disk I can ship you for like 40 bucks think it's like 05 06... a car with no receipts probably the owner did the work himself but if it looks clean that means the owners took care of it obviously it wasn't kid... buying it though I would kind of hope that the a transmission has already been replaced... if not you might get a year or so maybe longer as long as you probably change all the stuff like someone else mentioned... I know it's actually happen people by the car and have to change a transmission like two months.... later even at like 50,000 miles but at all cars your risk...

but I did just buy my second 3G (at 40k mi) so I wouldn't look down upon you buying one and at that price s*** I could have bought like 10 lol...
Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I paid over $10k for my 06 base with navi with 144k from a used car lot. Got raped, I know. But have had ZERO issues whatsoever beside needing a new ignition switch, one year into ownership. Other than that, everything works, no oil burning, no nothing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the TL the OP is considering. For an 05 with 170k,for $5k, you can't expect it to be problem free. That goes with buying any used car.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts

Whenever I sell my car, I'll have all receipts, window sticker, brochures, and even Car And Driver magazines covering the TL- my car is fully documented. This stuff as well as the general shape of the car ALWAYS sells to first serious buyer- going strong for 5 straight sells.
I do every single maintenance item on my car myself, and I personally try to keep it driving like new if I can. However, I do not keep any receipts. All my parts I use OEM or above. Within the last ~1 yr(most of them only couple months) I have replaced:
compliance bushings
koni shocks
moog endlinks
moog inner and outer tie rods
all motor mounts
transmission mount
accessory belt tensioner
accessory belt
power steering pump seals
spark plugs
full timing belt package(includes tensioner, adjuster, idler pulley did them all myself perfectly to spec)
thermostat
HFL module
parking brake shoes
new rotors and pads
brake and power steering fluid less than 6 months old
transmission pressure switch sensors couple months old

Not to mention I'm kinda OCD about having every bolt/screw to be OEM and in place. I never leave a bolt off when putting my bumper back on.(even my rotor screws are on too)

Heck, even when my passenger seat got a small tear, I got it reupholstered:

Point is, at this current time and date, if I wanted to sell my car, there wouldnt be any wearable things that a buyer can complain about. But I dont have ANY receipts to prove any of it. I did take some pics during the process for some stuff, but to a potential buyer, a pic can be fake just as easily as a receipt can.
Receipts and records could help the noninformed buyer, but if you know the car well, it's always better to check the condition for yourself, especially if you buy a car from someone like me.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mileage is a bit high... but how is the conditon of the rest of the car?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eddie,

I just bought an '04 manual 6spd fully loaded TL in Minneapolis with 120k on it for 9,700 bucks (great condition). I got it late December '13 and thought it was a great deal. My mechanic told me it's easily a 300,000 mile car. So far I'm very happy with it. It definitely doesn't seem like there are 120k miles on it!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Engine is a 300k. not the auto tranny. Tranny and can easily cost more than 3k just to replace if you aren't mechanically inclined.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Even the manual will most likely require some form of service before 300K but a manual driveline should easily outlast the auto one if properly driven...
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 PM
Drifting

^Paperboy- your car looks great! I'm sure anybody looking at your car would want to buy it based on its shape.

However, what I'm saying is if you have a buyer and he looks at your car and also another car of similar price,mileage,options,condition, etc. If the other car has the window sticker, receipts and other documents, that buyer will 9 times out of 10 go with the car with the additional documentation. Think about it- wouldn't you if everything was near equal?

I never thought about it much, but that might be the reason I have such an easy time selling my used cars.

I did a Google on TLs with receipts and found one great ad for a car and will share it with everybody for future use- notice the guys heavy use of documentation in the ad. Wouldn't you as a potential car buyer feel better knowing some of the recent service done to the car. Imagine if this guy was original owner and had all service records- I think you would feel pretty good about how the car was maintained.

============================
I have for sale my mint Anthracite Metallic 2006 Acura TL with black leather and the Technology package. The car is clean title in hand, adult owned it's life, and an automatic with sport mode shifting. Just over 91,8xx miles (9/31/13). I am in absolutely no rush to sell or trade.

The car is 100% solid overall, no knocks, ticks, leaks, pings, weird noises etc. I have done some recent maintenance to it as well with receipts. I also have some parts for the car that are brand new in the box never installed, that I will include in with the sale as well for the right price. I am basically the 3rd owner. The car has always been garage kept, oil changed every 3,000 miles with Acura oil and OEM filter. The pictures speak for themselves, come check it out in person to really see what you're getting.

Price-
$14,000 OBO. Brand new OEM Denso Spark plugs are installed 9/20/13 as well as brand new serp. belt, and new alternator at 9/27/13 with receipts. Comes with lip and new brake pads front and rear unstilled BNIB. ($120)
$13,500 OBO as is without the OEM A-Spec front lip, and brakes.

***Contact me at 813-817-6Zero24 if interested with cash in hand only please, thanks.***

ONLY trades I would consider are a E46 M3/ZHP, BMW 3/5 series 06+, 04+ S2000, STI, Evo, IS300 etc. something fast and 6-speed only. I have cash on top for the right car. (Nothing older than 2004 please, or over 120,xxx miles)

NADA Guides value $12,500 TRADE IN, NOT private party like this sale is-***YOU HAVE TO ADD MILEAGE***
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2006/...igation/Values

I hate using KBB because I feel it's biased, but here's the pricing for it on here too. I would price it between great and excellent. http://www.kbb.com/acura/tl/2006-acu...ue|533126|true |229|true|234|true|244|true|289|true&mileage=92000 &pricetype=private-party

General info on the car:
-Clean Title in hand, no liens
-Car is located in North Tampa, Florida
-Comes with 2 keys including Valet key, owners manual etc.
-3rd owner
-Oil change done myself at 89,723 with OEM filter 8/4/13
-Recent Alignment 6/2/13
-New Air filter 8/4/13
-New Valve Cover Gasket 6/26/13
-New Hydraulic Hood Stays 7/24/13
-New Coolant Reservoir Tank Cap 8/4/13
-New Cabin Air filter 8/4/13
-New Kumho Tires 90% tread 7/2/13
-New Wagner Platinum Ceramic Brakes pads in box (Not installed) ($150 new)
-6 New Denso Iridium Spark Plugs in the box (Not installed) ($22 a piece at the dealership/$120)
-Throttle Body cleaning at 88,xxx 8/4/13
-Power Steering, Coolant and Transmission flush at 85,xxx
-24 MPG overall

Exterior: 9/10
-The paint looks great, original, nice. All panels line up, I counted 2 TINY dings on the entire car.
-6k Factory self-leveling HIDS
-Recently cleaned and detailed exhaust tips
-15% newish tint
-Clear headlights, no fogging
-OEM optional Mud guards

Interior: 10/10
-DVD/Navigation
-Carbon Fiber accent package (Instead of Wood)
-Black leather, all seats are in excellent condition
-OEM Winter trunk rubber protector
-Spare set of OEM floor mats
-Polk Audio door speakers front and rear
-Full spare in trunk
-Roadside kit with jack, etc.
-Carpet is mint, TL floor mats mint
-Dash is mint, no cracking
-Car has plenty of options, ICE COLD A/C, HOT Heat, Front Seat Warmers, Parking Back Up Sensors, Tire Pressure Moniter System, Moonroof, Blue Tooth, Cruise Control, MP3, 6 Disk Cd Changer, DVD player/Nav, Sub woofer, 2 Person Memory Seats, Dual Climate Control, 2 Cigarette outlets, 3 Car Garage Opener, Traction Control, ABS, PW/PL, Front and Rear Air Bags, Blue Accent lights, Trip monitor, as well as distance and miles until empty, Average MPG/MPH/Speed etc. These are just a few of the options, which all work. My favorite is if you hold down the unlock button, all the windows and the sunroof go down. Useful when walking out to a hot car.

Motor: 10/10
-Stock 3.2L V6 VTEC, starts right up and goes where and when it should. No issues ever, shifts smooth and runs great.
-Motor mounts are great, no movement
-No leaks, everything is really clean and taken care of nicely
-Oil change at 89,xxx with OEM filter, 90% oil life
-New Left and Right OEM Hood Stays
-New Purolator Air filter
-Recent Radiator, Power Steering and Transmission flush