3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should this be covered under warranty or is the dealer not lying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Should this be covered under warranty or is the dealer not lying?

The clip retainer on the back of my front driver's seat is broken. Apparently there is a service bulletin for this: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-008.pdf

I went to the dealer today to pick up some parts and asked about getting that repaired. They told me that it was not covered under warranty and that I could drop the car off to have it looked at for an estimate on the fix. I told them I have an extended warranty that covers the Powertrain for 100k miles until 2015 and Non-Powertrain for 62k. My car is currently at just shy of 53k miles. I asked them if this would be covered under warranty and they told me it wouldn't be with 52k miles on the car. They said that Non-Power train doesn't cover interior trim, but rather accessories such as lock or window actuators, electrical switches, and such.

I mentioned that there's a Technical Service Bulletin out for it and the rep retaliated saying that the TSB's are really for them to know or learn how to fix a common problem, and that it's not an indicator of something covered under warranty.

Is the dealer just pulling my leg to get some money out of me or are they telling the truth? Looking at the TSB I linked above, they mention vehicles In and Out of warranty. Does anyone know what the mileage or age limit is for interior trim if this is true? If they're lying or just trying to get money out of me, is there somewhere or someone I can contact to have this fixed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it wont be. They are correct I have Acura Care and it states interior trim is not covered. My driver side seat cushion ripped 1 month after I bought my car. Dealer paid for and installed a new one for me but it was covered as a "good will repair". Also I noticed your in LI, I bought my car from Smithtown Acura they're pretty good. Which dealer are you going to? If anything try Smithtown.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by LockDots
... I told them I have an extended warranty that covers the Powertrain for 100k miles until 2015 and Non-Powertrain for 62k. My car is currently at just shy of 53k miles. I asked them if this would be covered under warranty and they told me it wouldn't be with 52k miles on the car. They said that Non-Power train doesn't cover interior trim, but rather accessories such as lock or window actuators, electrical switches, and such.
If this is the AcuraCare extended warranty, then I'd guess they are full of crap. If it's any other warranty, read the fine print.

I mentioned that there's a Technical Service Bulletin out for it and the rep retaliated saying that the TSB's are really for them to know or learn how to fix a common problem....
This guy is an idiot. Total BS.

...and that it's not an indicator of something covered under warranty....
More BS. If the car is still under warranty, it's covered by this TSB no questions asked. If not, then it's a good will consideration.

This dealer service department really sucks. This is such a simple repair. If you are indeed not covered under the extended warranty, it should be a simple good will request that they make to the district manager. You need to be a bit more assertive with these idiots. They are just playing you off hoping that you'll go away. If they refuse you again, ask them for the district manager's name and phone #.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Engineer in Training

Is there any documentation I could show them to use to my advantage in getting this repaired free of cost that you know of?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Race Director

Is there any documentation I could show them to use to my advantage in getting this repaired free of cost that you know of?
Print out the TSB and take it in with you...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
More BS. If the car is still under warranty, it's covered by this TSB no questions asked.
Not true. Extended warranty is NOT a bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers anything and everything. A TSB does not mean they have to fix it and/or cover it. It just identifies a somewhat more common issue and documents the proper fix so a service dept doesn't have to spend time trying to figure it out.

This dealer service department really sucks. This is such a simple repair. If you are indeed not covered under the extended warranty, it should be a simple good will request that they make to the district manager.
I agree with you here.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Race Director

...More BS. If the car is still under warranty, it's covered by this TSB no questions asked. If not, then it's a good will consideration.
Originally Posted by Jackass
Not true. Extended warranty is NOT a bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers anything and everything....
You misread. I didn't say extended warranty.

Originally Posted by Jackass
A TSB does not mean they have to fix it and/or cover it. It just identifies a somewhat more common issue and documents the proper fix so a service dept doesn't have to spend time trying to figure it out.
I've never had a single TSB refused under warranty nor have I heard of anyone having a TSB refused while under warranty.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Engineer in Training

Is there a way to find out for sure whether or not it's covered? And if it's not, how or where do I apply for or ask for a good will courtesy? Is that what it's technical term is or do I simply say "Can I speak to the district manager about this?"

I don't want to come off as a dick either because there's no reason to be (at least I don't think so) and I want to use the dealership in the future for parts and service since it's closest to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Race Director

Is there a way to find out for sure whether or not it's covered? And if it's not, how or where do I apply for or ask for a good will courtesy? Is that what it's technical term is or do I simply say "Can I speak to the district manager about this?"

I don't want to come off as a dick either because there's no reason to be (at least I don't think so) and I want to use the dealership in the future for parts and service since it's closest to me.
Here's the deal: The dealership is being total aholes. They aren't even making the effort to request goodwill on your behalf like a good dealership should be doing.

Your car is only 6-12 months and 3000 miles out of warranty? And it's such a piddlyass, easy fix, less than 30 minutes. They don't want to mess with it because they won't make any money off of Acura from the goodwill approval.

Just tell them you want them to request "goodwill" approval from the district manager/zone office. But at this point, I wouldn't even trust them to do that, I'd do it myself. I fully expect that these aholes will never make the call and then tell you that it was denied...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 11-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
to get goodwill from the dealer...you have to go through the dealer so they contact acura directly to get it covered. goodwill from acura will be determined by your client service history and purchases from the dealer as well as your service advisor's history with the dealership. my regular SA informed me that acura has been getting a little more tighter on when and who to grant goodwill services to.

i have a long standing service history with my dealer, and purchased two cars from them...i only got 50% goodwill from acura for a TSB item on my TL (which was well out of warranty coverage by the time the TSB was issued). it was better than nothing, so i went ahead and paid my half since i plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off (plus the noise was driving me crazy). certainly your relationship with your dealer will be important when requesting goodwill for TSB related items that are no longer covered under normal warranty period.

just be nice with the SA and ask him if he could make a phone call to acura regional rep to see if they would cover anything. certainly won't hurt the SA to ask, but based on your first visit it sounds like the SA was a jerk about it. perhaps going to another SA might work in your favor.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Engineer in Training

I've got an appointment for friday morning for them to "look" at it. Once they do and give me an estimate I guess I'll decide whether I want to persue a good will claim or try to fix it myself with a little JB weld. I didn't purchase my car from them and this would be the first time im bringing my car to them. So if a lot of it is based on my history with them I doubt they'll help me much. We'll see friday I guess.

Im going to bring the TSB with me and see if it helps at all. Who knows.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Race Director

Good luck with that. If you give them the impression that you're a push over, that's what will happen...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
lockdots-if the dealer wants to keep you as a customer....they might make efforts to have it goodwilled or get a portion of it goodwilled. GL.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
If this is the AcuraCare extended warranty, then I'd guess they are full of crap. If it's any other warranty, read the fine print.

This guy is an idiot. Total BS.

More BS. If the car is still under warranty, it's covered by this TSB no questions asked. If not, then it's a good will consideration.

This dealer service department really sucks. This is such a simple repair. If you are indeed not covered under the extended warranty, it should be a simple good will request that they make to the district manager. You need to be a bit more assertive with these idiots. They are just playing you off hoping that you'll go away. If they refuse you again, ask them for the district manager's name and phone #.
I thought AcuraCare was a warranty strictly from Acura?? When I bought my TL-S they manager indicated that it wasn't a third party warranty and is the same one you would get if you were to purchase a brand new Acura.

Total BS I guess??
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Engineer in Training

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
lockdots-if the dealer wants to keep you as a customer....they might make efforts to have it goodwilled or get a portion of it goodwilled. GL.
Yeah, hopefully they do. I mean, I see it from their point of view as well. Why should they help someone who has done no more than $30 worth of service with them and didn't even buy the car from them? The only reason really, is what you said. To keep me as a customer.