44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Should “harddrivin1le” be banned form the TL web site

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Appendix.

If don't like what he says, please just ignore.

In this public-like private forum, when we talk about "free speech" or "right to speech", we're not talking about this issue at constitution level. As long as ppl are not violating POLICY Administrators have ruled, they should be fine. So far, IMO, boss provides us lots of space to talk everything. Thanks.

This forum has "report bad post" button for everyone. If you don't like what he says, report it. If boss says nothing, it probably means what he has said is ok with the policy.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
I voted no. That said...

What would happen if, say, there was no internet and we were having a regular gathering of TL owners in a meeting place open to the public. The participants enjoy it immensely, chat with each other, learn from each other, and just in general benefit from the community.

One day some guy parks his Camaro with Rhode Island plates out front, walks in with a stack of Hot Rod magazines under his arm. He joins a few conversations, seems OK at first, but then starts questioning people's knowledge without apparent reason. He starts waving Hot Rod magazines in people's faces. Gets caught in some factual and logical errors and begins denying he said things that everyone heard him say. He repeats himself, and violently agrees with people while telling them they don't comprehend things. All the while, he's getting louder and louder and more insistent and continually waving his Hot Rod magazines in people's faces. And he keeps coming back and doing the same things day after day after day.

People try to ignore him, but he gets louder and louder, shouting at people, taking random pot shots at them, still waving his magazine. He's so obnoxious that it's really not possible to just ignore him.

How would that be handled in "real life"? Would you just go home and give up that activity that you enjoy? I doubt it. The community would make the situation uncomfortable for him such that he began to behave himself, or he left.

Mike
Or everyone in the room would just beat the living daylights out of him. :toothless
Old 04-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't like him. I voted No. I don't think he should be banned.

If he breaks the rules, and meets whatever criteria they apply to anyone on this site in order to ban them, he should be banned.

Apparently that has not happened yet. It may never happen.

He is not particularly profane or vulgar. He displays signs of education. I would guess he is middle aged, probably 30s or 40s. I don't know if he is employed.

He sure seems to spend a lot of time on the internet. How many posts on this site in just a few months? And how many other sites is he on?

I would love to know how much time he spends in front of a computer. I wish he would spend more time driving his Camaro.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to hear what the admin has to say..........
Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Racer

I voted no. While I am no advocate of his methods or his communication skills, neither am I an advocate of banishment or censorship simply because someone annoys me.

His posts are generally negative in tone, but they are never foul-mouthed and only rarely are they overtly hostile. I do feel that his posting habits at times merit some quality time and counseling by moderators, particularly for trolling. This may have already occurred; if so it would (and should) take place privately.

I don't know why he carries such a heavy chip on his shoulder, but to my knowledge, there are no laws or forum rules which prohibit him from doing so.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Instructor

I vote no. I don't like hijacked threads, but if everyone would ignore changes in topic and insults, we wouldn't need to ban anyone.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Racer

I think that Silverbulet should be banned. He is disrespectful and resorts to name calling. He also makes claims that he cannot back up with proof. At least hardriven makes valid points, though I have issues with his style.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I know this may shock a few but I voted no, it isn't up to me to decide this. If the Admin's feel he isn't breaking the rules then I have to deal with it. I don't want him banned simply because I don't agree with him or his tactics.

He will be banned at some point, not because I want him banned or any other forum member wants him banned. He will be banned when he has pushed the Admin's/Moderator's too far, he always does so it stands to reason he will probably do it here as well.

Forums are not a Democracy, we have no free speech or rights here, we have privileges, and just like our drivers license it can be taken away.

So if we do push it too far we go on to the next forum or hope the forum we got banned from accepts apologies and lets you back in.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I would guess he is middle aged, probably 30s or 40s.
:argue: I resemble that remark!
Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Norse396
:argue: I resemble that remark!
That was not meant as an insult. In a few years I will also resemble that remark.

The point was merely that he does not appear to be a pimply-faced kid sitting in front of his computer, but rather shows signs of being older and more mature, at least in theory.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

That was not meant as an insult. In a few years I will also resemble that remark.
I know, it reminded me of the fact I'm "middle aged", now my back suddenly hurts....
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Drifting

I have read this thread over and over again. It just sounds like a troll running around.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
I'd like to hear what the admin has to say..........
Well, not an admin, but site mod.... close enough

Bottom line is that if he hasn't done anything wrong, he won't be banned. If he's simply voicing his opinion then there's no reason to ban him. If he's cursing, threatening people (aka e-thugging), hijacking threads, or otherwise violating the site terms he agreed to when he signed up, then it's a different issue, but from what I've been reading on here it just seems like most people are just annoyed by the way he replies... and honestly... there's no reason to ban him for that. Stuff like that is why we have the ignore feature... so if you ignore him you won't even see his replies.

As for the freedom of speech thing... doesn't fly on here (or any BB). This site is owned and operated by an individual, therefore he can set his own rules and enforce them as he sees fit, so can stop replying with that reason to not ban him... b/c it's not applicable .

Something else to keep in mind... he probably replies the way he does to get a rise out of people.... and by creating a thread like this (and having it go 3 pages) is feeding right into what he's trying to do. One thing you'll notice is that if you ignore people, they do go away.

Anyway, if he has done something wrong... feel free to report the post so an email is generated to all mods and admins. To date I haven't seen one complaint come across from a member regarding this guy... so as far as I'm concerned there is no reason to even discuss a banning.. and if there was, it wouldn't be done in a public section, it would be done in one of the Mod sections.....
Old 04-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
don't you guys think that perhaps contacting an admin via email, or PM would have been a much better way to go about this?