Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She was stolen today

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy She was stolen today

Yup....right out of my work parking lot. My 06TL 6MT with A-Spec wheels was picked off this morning while parked amongst a couple dozen bimmers, mercs and other cars worth twice as much. It looks like a completely professional job. No broken glass or any trace of the car even being there. I assume someone got a key somehow or maybe even just towed it away.

So I filed a police report and called the insurance company. The insurer is saying that if the car doesn't turn up, I have to wait 30 days before they settle the claim. So now I'm stuck in a rental G6 for a month.

Honestly, as much as I loved that car, I don't think I want it back. Just feels like an invasion of my personal space. I guess the best case scenario for me right now is that the car turns up soon and is stripped completely for parts and is declared totaled. Either that or the jackass that stole it wraps it around a tree and they have to scrape him off the pavement. I'm hoping for the second option. :angryfire

Trying to think of the bright side though...at least I wasn't anywhere near the car when it happened.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So sorry for your lost.

On the bright side of things, its a sign for you to upgrade to the TLs.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Are you sure the Repo man didn't pick it up? Hope you weren't late on payments...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vector7777
Yup....right out of my work parking lot. My 06TL 6MT with A-Spec wheels was picked off this morning while parked amongst a couple dozen bimmers, mercs and other cars worth twice as much. It looks like a completely professional job. No broken glass or any trace of the car even being there. I assume someone got a key somehow or maybe even just towed it away.

So I filed a police report and called the insurance company. The insurer is saying that if the car doesn't turn up, I have to wait 30 days before they settle the claim. So now I'm stuck in a rental G6 for a month.

Honestly, as much as I loved that car, I don't think I want it back. Just feels like an invasion of my personal space. I guess the best case scenario for me right now is that the car turns up soon and is stripped completely for parts and is declared totaled. Either that or the jackass that stole it wraps it around a tree and they have to scrape him off the pavement. I'm hoping for the second option. :angryfire

Trying to think of the bright side though...at least I wasn't anywhere near the car when it happened.
Hmm...I am glad that I have Lo-Jack on both of my cars! But I wouldn't want them back because of the same reasons...well, that and I have Gap Insurance! So I def would get the TL-S then!

I hope you have gap if they don't get it back because you will owe the difference! (amount you owe - market value)
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by White Lightening
Are you sure the Repo man didn't pick it up? Hope you weren't late on payments...
Yeah, I was thinking that, but cuttin' him some slack! But Repo-Man is very professional!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Sorry to hear that, bro.

I kind of agree with you: if I had my car stolen, I may not want it back. I mean, who knows what those dudes are gonna do to/in your car when they have it in their possession? I don't even want to know.

I've read about how people are stealing cars that have advanced fobs, like our TLs do (although they're not that advanced like some other vehicles). I've heard that would-be thieves sit nearby in parking lots where you're parked, camping out, while you deactivate your car's locking system. Apparently they have receptors that can intercept the signal coming from the fob. They then record it somehow (not exactly sure how, as I am not a thief, nor do I intend to try this myself) on a laptop. From there, they write the signal to a blank fob so that the car will open up for them.

Then there's also the OG method, like towing it away, which easily could have happened as well.

At any rate, I hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by White Lightening
Actually I thought about that too! I am definitely up with the payments but I called AHFC just in case they made a mistake and they said they definitely did not have a call out for it.

The car is an AHFC lease so the gap coverage is included. I hope that it turns up as a total loss so I can be mostly free and clear of this.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Hi Vector7777,

Sorry to hear about your theft. Hopefully things will work out in your favor. Hopefully your car insurance will kick in and pay full replacement cost since the car is newer. I know mine would kick in if the car is stolen less than one year of ownership. I did a quick Google on car theft rates and the TL is on the bottom 1/3 of the car list, just below the Boxter if that is any help. The govt reported 2004 MY rates and the Dodge Intrepid is top of the list followed by the Toyota Tundra truck and Dodge Stratus with 9.8 thefts/1000 vehicles. The TL is .89/1000 or 10x less likely to be stolen. Looks like you had some thiefs with some exquisite tastes.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens
Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by quanTL
So sorry for your lost.

On the bright side of things, its a sign for you to upgrade to the TLs.
Assuming I don't get it back, the TL-S is definitely in the top 2. I do want to test drive a 335i coupe though. I feel like a shmuck for actually thinking about my next car the same day my car was stolen!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced

My 95 Civic EX Coupe was stolen right in front of my apartment back in 1997 when I was attending FSU. I was in shock and thought the Repo-Man got it in which I had one more payment but that was not the case. It was stolen.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:46 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
No...truely what you want to happen is for it never to show up again. That is the best case scenario for you. Otherwise...there is always the possibility of repair in some way shape or form. Totally stripped might do it too...so long as it was totally stripped and I mean no doors, body panels, ect ect. NOTHING.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
my condolence goes to ur car..wherever it is...hope it rest in peace..dam thieves!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry to hear that hopefully the car get hits with an emp blast that causes the doors to look them in side and jam the seatbelts and the heated seats go crazy cranking up to 1000 degrees F!!! and the radio malfuntions to play techno super loud (or what ever music they hate) to add to the tourture!!!!

edit
now that i think about it like that "Christine" would have really been bad ass if she were a TL...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Registered TL Lover

now that i think about it like that "Christine" would have really been bad ass if she were a TL...
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
That sucks man.

Was your car modded in any way or was it stock (other than A-Spec rims)?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Racer

Sorry to hear about your loss. I wouldn't want my TL either if it was stolen. Hopefully everything will work out and you will end up either in the new TL-S or the 335i.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Racer

Very sorry for your loss. I have been there too. I had my 86 Gran Prix stolen when it was only a year old. It was the first brand new car I ever bought. I got it back a couple of days later. It was kids out for a joy ride.

It still had several thousand in damage where they ripped the radio out of the dash and it needed a through cleaning. They even put worms in the center consol (Did they go fishing?)

It was stolen out of the shopping mall parking lot. It is scary going out there and not finding your car. You begin to think that you just forgot where you parked. Then the security guard takes you around to see if you spot it. And the first thing the cop asks is "Are you behind on your payments?" Like you, I felt violated and I never felt the same about the car, even though I kept it for many more years out of economic necessity).

I hope it all works out for you. If you get the TL-S, go for the LoJack.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datmrman
That sucks man.

Was your car modded in any way or was it stock (other than A-Spec rims)?

Just the A-spec wheels and a nice tint job. The plan was to go for the suspension next...but oh well.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by camporealer
Very sorry for your loss. I have been there too. I had my 86 Gran Prix stolen when it was only a year old. It was the first brand new car I ever bought. I got it back a couple of days later. It was kids out for a joy ride.

It still had several thousand in damage where they ripped the radio out of the dash and it needed a through cleaning. They even put worms in the center consol (Did they go fishing?)

It was stolen out of the shopping mall parking lot. It is scary going out there and not finding your car. You begin to think that you just forgot where you parked. Then the security guard takes you around to see if you spot it. And the first thing the cop asks is "Are you behind on your payments?" Like you, I felt violated and I never felt the same about the car, even though I kept it for many more years out of economic necessity).

I hope it all works out for you. If you get the TL-S, go for the LoJack.
It is scary as hell to walk out and not see your car! I was coming back from lunch with my buddy in his new RDX and we drove past where my car should have been but it wasn't there. I thought someone was pulling a practical joke and I turned around and said "Alright what the hell did you do??" He didn't know what I was talking about and seemed to be in as much shock as I was. And then I called my boss and my former boss thinking they would be the only other ones that would try to pull this stunt. Neither knew anything and both came downstairs to the parking lot and waited with me until the cops came. It really sux!!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Instructor

So a couple of administrative questions for you guys....

1) Is it odd that the insurance company wants to wait 30 days (if the car doesn't turn up) before they settle the claim?? This means I'll be in that crappy G6 for a month. Any chance they will negotiate that time period down?

2) Do I make my next lease payment? Or do I just inform AHFC and let the insurer settle when they're ready?

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered TL Lover

have you talked to to your insurance about the rental car? a lot insurance companies give you rental while you car is being repaired maby they can at least cover your rental for you.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

So a couple of administrative questions for you guys....

1) Is it odd that the insurance company wants to wait 30 days (if the car doesn't turn up) before they settle the claim?? This means I'll be in that crappy G6 for a month. Any chance they will negotiate that time period down?

2) Do I make my next lease payment? Or do I just inform AHFC and let the insurer settle when they're ready?

Thanks for the support guys!
1) It is that way across the board. Standard operating procedures. That's just their guidelines and what the Underwriters have them do I guess. So no chance in negotiating that down.

2) Unfortunately, yes, you still have to make your payments. One has nothing to do with the other. You are still responsible for the debt. DO NOT miss payments because of this! You will mess up your credit and your problems will be compounded!
However, you can do this:
1) You can hold off from making your payment as long as you don't go over 30 days being late. You will be adding interest, but you won't have to worry about that if they don't find your car. They took your car on the 20th right? So, let's say your next payment is due on the 2nd of May. You have all the way until the 2nd of June, before you are late. They only have until the 20th of May to find your car! Late at the credit bureau is different from late with the lender! If you are late with the credit company who gave you the loan, you will have more interest added, but the CREDIT BUREAU rating won't be affected. You only are reported late in 30 day increments. If you pay late within that time frame, you only incur the wrath of the finance company via finance charges! Not a good practice to be constantly late with them, however, if you will be going back for another loan, but easily explainable if your car was stolen and you didn't get it back. HOWEVER, you have to have that payment ready if they DO find your car - as well as the next one which will follow shortly thereafter because you waited!

2) An easier thing to do is to put in a request to defer the upcoming payment. This is probably the best option. You have to have this approved, but it usually is. This just puts your next payment at the back of your loan and you won't have a payment due until the following month.

The obvious difference between 1 and 2 is that #1 is completely under your control. #2 you have to request. And if anyone tries to talk you out of #1, don't listen! You can do it and the only harm will be adding interest to the loan! It won't affect your credit rating at all!! I know because I did it before! Good luck!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

damm that sucks big time.
Hopefully things go your way and it be a smooth transaction if its declared totalled or never found.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Sorry for your loss, I've never had a car stolen (had a few I wished had been), so I have no idea what your going through, but I can imagine it sux and really understand the feeling of being violated!

You're leasing it, so there is no interest compounding, but as previously suggested, I would make the payment on time anyway. If it is found, then you're on schedule with your monthly payment, if it's not found or totalled, you'll get that back in the settlement. It's not worth risking a ding in your credit rating over one payment. Good luck and I wish you the best possible outcome!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Sorry bro, I know how that feels.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
First off Im very sorry man, I hope it all works out in your favor.

Second......how easy is it to steal a TL? I mean we aint talking about bending windows, cutting the latch wire to the hood, or popping the door handle off to break into a civic/integra here, they dont look/seem easy to steal. I mean mine has a sticker saying the engine will disable with no key. They must have been pros.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
sorry to hear about that.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

my 98 'vic was stolen right out of my parking lot 10 feet from my apt, TWO WEEKS BEFORE I WAS TAKING DELIVERY ON THE 06 Ac, I FOUND It myself later in the evening, in another parking lot in the complex. theives didnt' get very far with the ignition kill, the only thing stolen was my cd's, didn't even take the amp, box etc

so far, the 06Ac has been safe...

where did your car get stolen? city? state?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Yeah, I was thinking that, but cuttin' him some slack! But Repo-Man is very professional!
When the Repo-Man takes a car, they have to notify the local police who would have that information when you report the theft.

vector7777,

Sorry for your loss. Your car may not be at a chop shop, it could be on a boat headed down to Sout America.... or to where I ship shtolen carz, ITALY!

Good luck..........................

Next time, get LoJack or one of those satellite tracking systems.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 AM
REDBULL///AMG

y cant they steal mine..i kinda want the \tls
Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

mah bad, that was your TL?
lol j/p

chances are it will be declared totalled and if u can, def get the 335i coupe
but if i were u id put a deposit down on it

my friend had to wait a month for his coupe to come in
Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by 06 [url="#"
Acura TL[/url]]y cant they steal mine..i kinda want the \tls
Hahaha! If they steal mine, I'm proly gonna get it back...Lo-Jack! Aargghh!!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 AM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

definitely sorry for your loss. i'm also sorry that you're temp car is a G6 as well.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear this man.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
Hmm...I am glad that I have Lo-Jack on both of my cars! But I wouldn't want them back because of the same reasons...well, that and I have Gap Insurance! So I def would get the TL-S then!

I hope you have gap if they don't get it back because you will owe the difference! (amount you owe - market value)
just wondering; you're glad you have lojack on your cars; but you wouldn't want them back.

interesting... why would you waste money getting it on 2 cars then?
Old 04-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
That sucks. Sounds like a professional job. Unless someone had a key with the chip it wasn't some yahoo joyrider.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:36 PM
2007 Silver TL

I am sorry for the loss of your "child" but you know wha they say, "what comes around, goes around."
Old 04-21-2007, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by robbie82
First off Im very sorry man, I hope it all works out in your favor.

Second......how easy is it to steal a TL? I mean we aint talking about bending windows, cutting the latch wire to the hood, or popping the door handle off to break into a civic/integra here, they dont look/seem easy to steal. I mean mine has a sticker saying the engine will disable with no key. They must have been pros.

i dont know how hard it is to steal a TL but as far as getting in the car it is toooo easy...my friend can easily open the door of his TL and my TL with his 97-00 civic key
Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Vector,
What city are you in?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation, I know how you feel, I had my integra GSR stolen and found it myself in the same day, fortunately I saw my car being driven by some punk ass, after riding around town with my brother, we spot my car at a stop light, I was very fortunate to see my car and the punk mother f----r, I got out of my brothers cars,walked up to the punk and my car an exacted revenge. Long story short, my damages were a broken ignition and his broken yaw. Hope you get your ride asap, new or your old ride.

Quick Reply: She was stolen today