Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shady dealings at a place called STW

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shady dealings at a place called STW

So I'm talking to my wife about getting rims. She asks her friend if he knows any shops in the area that have some good deals. He recommends a place called STW autosports (aka) Salinas Tire and Wheel in La Habra, CA. I decide to check it out.

I get down there and the owner Jorge is running around getting shit handled and the staff looks pretty good everyone is hard at work. I browse around for a few minutes then Talk to Jorge who proceeds to tell me he can work out some good deals for me. So I wanted a price on some 19' Axis Pentas. He tells me that he's got some 20"s in stock and he'll get me a better deal if I buy the 20"s. I ask if I can see them next to the car he said no problem He brings out a few other rims too that are mesh style as well. I think he had some sportmaxs, concept one, privat, and the axis. We're going through em. I get the sportmax rims outta the picture pretty quick. I thought the privats were a little pricey, so it's down to the axis pentas and concept one ravens.

I liked the hyper black pentas so I asked to be qouted a price he tells me 1400 for a rim and tire set with Nexen n3000's or something like that. It sounded pretty good. I said ok lets go ahead and get the deal sealed. He then walks off and gets on the phone. he comes back and says that the pentas are out until june so no 19" or 20" pentas in any color. So I go ok second choice. Concept one ravens silver with the chrome lip. He hands me off to some other guy named carlos who then tries to pawn off some tenzo r's and sportmax's again saying they are a better deal and blah blah blah. I tell him I'm kind of set on the concept ones and if he doesn't have them in stock it's fine I'll go somewhere else.

In comes Jose, Jorges nephew. He tells Carlos he's got it. Jose seemed like a pretty upstanding guy was very helpful and was trying to get me exactly what I needed. He told me 19" C1 Ravens paired with Nexen tires would cost about 1400 I said fine lets do this. He charges me and tells me that the wheels need to be picked up from their warehouse. He says it will take about 1 hour. I said it's fine I'll go to a local shopping center for a while and I will be back.

Here is what the rims look like by the way C1 Ravens

So I get back in an hour and they still aren't back so I sit around maybe 20 min later the guy shows up. I wait another hour and I'm like what the F. The guy says the tires are mounted and they just need to finish up a vehicle and they will pop the rims on my car no problem.

Another 20-30 go by and some guy finally comes up pointing at my car. I say yeah go ahead here you go and hand him my keys and my wheel lock key. He pulls the car in and one guy starts taking off the stockies while another guy mounts and balances the wheels and installs the tpms sensors. I was a little disappointed seeing the guy said the tires were mounted and balanced on the rims already, but whatever... they are doing it properly and installing the tpms sensors.

So finally the car comes out after about another hour and guess what... Not the same rims I paid for...

Not even close to the same rims. So I go up tot he guy Jose and I'm like bro you guys gave me the wrong rims. He said naw we put on the mesh rims with the chrome lip. I said yeah you put on rims, but not the ones that I paid for. He says "are you serious?" "Ah sorry bro, go ahead and talk to Jorge."

So I find Jorge who doesn't know what rims I paid for since he didn't deal with the sale at all. I say Jorge they put the wrong rims on my car. He says "I noticed that." I say what am I supposed to do. He then asks me how long I've been there and I say since noon it's around 4 when this happens. He says well you've been here all day why don't you just take the rims and enjoy them for the weekend and comeback on monday and we'll exchange them for the right ones. I said that I didn't feel comfortable doing it. He reassured me that everything would be fine it's no big deal. I finally just agree and get in my car.

So I'm trying to call my wife to tell her to talk to her friend Sergio who apparently has friends that work for STW. I didn't wanna leave, but after about 10 min of trying to get a hold of my wife. I just start up and start heading out. I get about a block down the street and she calls me back. I tell her what happened and she was like "No f that get back over there and have them exchange them now." Then it hit me... Holy shit they're trying to pull a fast one on me. So I drive back over and pull into the other side parking lot making it seem like I hadn't left yet. I start walking around talking on my phone and making it seem like I had been there the whole time.

I see Jorge and I walk over and say hey Jorge. Can I have what you said in writing? He said yeah no problem and hands me over to Carlos who asks me for my invoice. I say I didn't have it(lying of course) because I wanted to save the original invoice. So he makes me a copy and writes that I they owe me an exhange of rims on monday etc. etc. He then tells me there you go bro enjoy the rims monday we'll swap out for the right ones.

I start walking out and I turn around and ask tell him you know what bro, I think I'm gonna just put the stock ones back on. He says really? ok bro, but you're gonna have to wait a while there are 4 cars infront of you. I said it's fine I would feel better if we did it this way. He says that's fine, but we'll just leave the tpms sensors on the new rims till monday and we'll swap em out then. I say ok that's fine.

So at around 6:30pm I'm finally outta that damn place heading home. Pretty shitty experience and I really don't wanna go back Monday hopefully the guy keeps his word and makes things right. So that's the end to my excessively long story.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the C1 Ravens look sexy. but the ones he gave you are disgusting.

you should becareful man. good luck.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
The first image of the wheel is a K2 wheel, not Concept One, What they did put on your car is Concept One.

K2 Ravens I think only come in 20s n 22s though. Hmmmmm
Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

They may be K2's. Not sure why they were in a concept one box with style Raven written on the side they also had concept one center caps. Strange stuff. Maybe K2 is a branch off of C1? or vice versa?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Instructor

I dunno, I like the ones they put on your car better. Hahaa. Sorry to hear the fucked up story tho.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
Hope you can solve all this Monday..

If he holds up his word you gotta give him credit.. he knew you spent a long time waiting and he was willing to let you ride home with them BUT you know that would have brought many other possible things on to yourself.. think about a pothole a busted tire or car jacked for the rims..

You did the right thing and got it by writing and left with your OEM's

Post pics of it after you get the right ones on Monday..

Good Luck..
Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Japspec954
I dunno, I like the ones they put on your car better. Hahaa. Sorry to hear the fucked up story tho.
I am not going to lie about that... but for sure the one's they put on look a million times better...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
concept one m4 is the model they put on
Old 04-04-2009, 09:28 PM
My baby's ride...

better make sure you're able to reverse the charge through your credit card company if the place balks. Why you would walk away without getting things squared away is weird considering you spent 1400 bucks.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i like the second set of rims that they actually put on the car...that's a nice design and is seen somewhat frequently.

the first wheel pic, where it's a 5-spoke mesh with double forks on the end of each spoke, is a design breyton makes for german cars.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The wheels they put on look a lot more up-scale. I would expect to see the other set on a Civic with a wing & fart can.