Sponsored by:

Service Bulletin acura MT pop out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service Bulletin acura MT pop out of gear

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B070100.PDF

So i read the service bulletin in regards to the changing of the fluids with new MTF honda fluid. Is the new stuff they have that much better or should i still get GM. I have a service appointment on Monday to get this fixed at the acura dealership with the new fluid. I told him I read the service bulletin and that i would like to get this fixed. He asked if I was going to pay for it, and i said i wasnt planning on it, this is a factory defect and acura posted a bulletin as well. Should fall under warranty with a 06 with 18.000 miles. He said go ahead and bring the car in and we will diagnose it and to bring a copy of the bulletin with me. Is this fluid any better, 3rd gear pops out alot.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Good question and I hope you get a lot of responses on this one as a number of people have complained about the 3rd gear anomaly. Personally, I've never experienced this problem with my '04 manual TL.

I do recall reading a little while ago where someone did install the "new" Honda" MT fluid and the problem returned after a bit. If you do go ahead with the appointment and the dealer does install the new stuff, please do keep us all posted with your thoughts and how things continue to go with your tranny.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you should go and let the dealer do it. I changed mine using GM, and friggin love it! Problem solved! But I still wonder if the idea of cleaning out that first round of shavings in the transmission fluid that's in there, was the clicker. Maybe, maybe not. That's why I say that if you go get it done by the dealer, it may work. Warranty work, so it doesn't cost you anything! But if it comes back or doesn't work, then you KNOW what to do! GM baby! It will be gone - TRUST!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts
It will work for about a month, then your problem will come back.

Then you will go back and they will recommend changing syncros. Then your problem will return.

Then you will go back and they will recommend replacing tranny. If you're lucky, some werent, your problem may go away. Not likely.

So, put the GM fluid in and call it a day. You are wasting time that could be spent enjoying a car with no 3rd gear issues. I went through this for a year, take my word for this.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us posted how you make out. Mine does not pop-out, but 3rd is tough. I notice it when the cah is cold. Of course, when I took it to the dealer, the car was all warmed up and didn't do it at all.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Good question and I hope you get a lot of responses on this one as a number of people have complained about the 3rd gear anomaly. Personally, I've never experienced this problem with my '04 manual TL.

I do recall reading a little while ago where someone did install the "new" Honda" MT fluid and the problem returned after a bit. If you do go ahead with the appointment and the dealer does install the new stuff, please do keep us all posted with your thoughts and how things continue to go with your tranny.

GM Syncromesh 11-16-2007 10:25

Sorry if redundant.

I changed the original MTF in my '05 TL 6MT with the third gear problem to the "improved" Acura MTF. While the problem lessened somewhat, it hasn't gone away and now is showing up in 1st gear. I've got 82K and am thinking of changing to GM Syncromesh.

Any similar experiences?

Thanks

GM Synchromesh 11-30-2007 22:59

It's been about 2K miles since I drained the "improved" ACURA MTF and put in GMSFM.

A complete change !

Improved cold weather performance, no third gear problems and no beginnings of a first gear problems. Smoother all around, shifts slightly faster and more positively.

This stuff is the answer !
Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hameline
GM Syncromesh 11-16-2007 10:25

Sorry if redundant.

I changed the original MTF in my '05 TL 6MT with the third gear problem to the "improved" Acura MTF. While the problem lessened somewhat, it hasn't gone away and now is showing up in 1st gear. I've got 82K and am thinking of changing to GM Syncromesh.

Any similar experiences?

Thanks

GM Synchromesh 11-30-2007 22:59

It's been about 2K miles since I drained the "improved" ACURA MTF and put in GMSFM.

A complete change !

Improved cold weather performance, no third gear problems and no beginnings of a first gear problems. Smoother all around, shifts slightly faster and more positively.

This stuff is the answer !
Good to know. I e-mailed my service guy and linked the bulletin and asked if it is replacable under warranty. If so, I will give it a shot.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:23 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
It will work for about a month, then your problem will come back.

Then you will go back and they will recommend changing syncros. Then your problem will return.

Then you will go back and they will recommend replacing tranny. If you're lucky, some werent, your problem may go away. Not likely.

So, put the GM fluid in and call it a day. You are wasting time that could be spent enjoying a car with no 3rd gear issues. I went through this for a year, take my word for this.
Don't forget the possibility of collateral damage from all the service and it's grief!

GMSM-FM # 12377916 is the ticket for sure!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by clsdave
Don't forget the possibility of collateral damage from all the service and it's grief!
Ain't that the truth. You sure got that right.

So you take your car in for some service work and pick it up that evening or the next day just to find the following.

o Door scratches/dings.
o Oily/greasy residue on the shifter, steering wheel, and a few controls.
o Perhaps a tiny rip or tear in the driver's seat back from something left in the tech's pocket - like a screw driver.
o A few "extra" miles on the car for the "road test".

It is for these and a host of other nonsensical crap that I virtually never return my car to a dealership for work. Remember this.. cars don't heal.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Instructor

"Keep us posted how you make out. Mine does not pop-out, but 3rd is tough. I notice it when the cah is cold. Of course, when I took it to the dealer, the car was all warmed up and didn't do it at all."

I will keep you guys posted. Gonnna get it done because it is free and see how it goes, hard to pass up free. The service rep told me over the phone and asked me if I had the actual problem with 3rd gear, I told him yes and I read a bulletin on it. He then asked me do you actually have the problem or did you just read about it. He said you would be surprised on how many customers read something about their car and do not have the problem but want it fixed anyway lol.

Anyhow, yep my car only does the 3rd gear slip when the car is cold too. The service rep said he would have to diagnose the car and drive it so by the time i get there I will have driven for about 30 minutes.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
For the 2nd Time Today ........

END OF STORY
CLOSE THREAD .........
Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phatbastard
"Keep us posted how you make out. Mine does not pop-out, but 3rd is tough. I notice it when the cah is cold. Of course, when I took it to the dealer, the car was all warmed up and didn't do it at all."

I will keep you guys posted. Gonnna get it done because it is free and see how it goes, hard to pass up free. The service rep told me over the phone and asked me if I had the actual problem with 3rd gear, I told him yes and I read a bulletin on it. He then asked me do you actually have the problem or did you just read about it. He said you would be surprised on how many customers read something about their car and do not have the problem but want it fixed anyway lol.

Anyhow, yep my car only does the 3rd gear slip when the car is cold too. The service rep said he would have to diagnose the car and drive it so by the time i get there I will have driven for about 30 minutes.
This is the reason why you should just do the GM instead. That is a complete waste of time as they may never get it to do it when you are there, as has happened to a lot of people! GMFTMFW!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Originally Posted by DMZ
For the 2nd Time Today ........

END OF STORY
CLOSE THREAD .........
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I'm with above stupid