Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service B....prices anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service B....prices anyone?

Had service "B" performed today. Dealer did not have a price, so they charged the same as a "minor" service on the '03. I paid $110. Does this correct. It was just an oil change and tire rotation as far as I can tell.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Racer

seems reasonable

so the first service is A then B?
what milage are you at?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Advanced

I'm at 9300 miles. Yes, service A comes first (it's an oil change) then depending on milage and driving conditions you'll get service B mesage.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chplummer
Had service "B" performed today. Dealer did not have a price, so they charged the same as a "minor" service on the '03. I paid $110. Does this correct. It was just an oil change and tire rotation as far as I can tell.
You paid $110 for an oil change and a tire rotation??? Oh yeah, they probably "checked" the other fluids too. Sounds like highway robbery to me...
Old 05-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tripp11
You paid $110 for an oil change and a tire rotation??? Oh yeah, they probably "checked" the other fluids too. Sounds like highway robbery to me...
I agree. Oil change $25, tire rotation $25-30 at the most, the rest of the stuff on the "B" check list they are supposed to look at during the oil change anyway.

As the miles accumulate we will see more and more people getting the B service. This subject was addressed a few months ago, with everyone agreeing it is a ripoff. People in the populated coastal areas are paying more, but Alabama shouldn't be that high.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron A
I agree. Oil change $25, tire rotation $25-30 at the most, the rest of the stuff on the "B" check list they are supposed to look at during the oil change anyway.

If you have AAA, go to any Big O Tires for a free tire rotation.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Service B...prices anyone.

$110 bucks is a little pricey. I recently took my car in for this service and the dealership wanted to charge me $89 for the oil change and tire rotation/balance. I agreed to the oil change but not the tire balance & rotation. I've got lifetime balancing/rotation with Discount Tire (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires). No need for duplication. Especially, when I can take it to Discount whenever I want. Now I will tell you that the dealer did not reset the oil life indicator because I did not agree to the full B service. had to reset it myself.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by waymay1305
the dealer did not reset the oil life indicator because I did not agree to the full B service. had to reset it myself.
That may be the dumbest shi* I've ever heard from a dealer service tech.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:27 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tripp11
That may be the dumbest shi* I've ever heard from a dealer service tech.
The year ain't over yet........
Old 06-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Chplummer,

I paid the same yesterday--$110. This deal came with a free oil change good for 4 months or 4,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The tire rotation service did not include balancing, just rotation. They assured me that they torqued down each lug nut to spec.

Checking of suspension components and fluid topping were included in this B1 service.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Newbie for Life

If I lived closer to any of you, I would do (and I'm not even a "certified" mechanic) Acura's B Service for much cheaper and assure you that there would be no grease prints left anywhere inside or outside of your spanking brand new TL.

It amazes me the prices some service shops demand...
Old 06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Pro

I'd have to check my brain at the door to pay that kind of money for an oil change and tire rotation. My advice is that if you aren't mechanically inclined find a reputable local independent shop that specializes in Honda/Acura vehicles. Just make sure that they are factory trained Honda/Acura techs w/ ASE certification and always check their Better Business Bureau record. From my experience a good local shop will almost always charge significantly less than the "stealership" for the same work.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Instructor

i have 3500 miles and i'm at 50% oil life. Does that seem rite? I dont wanna have a smokey engine cuz my sensors are all messed up. Oh and i raced a Legend yesterday on the freeway. Those things are pretty quick.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by EulisCool
i have 3500 miles and i'm at 50% oil life. Does that seem rite? I dont wanna have a smokey engine cuz my sensors are all messed up. Oh and i raced a Legend yesterday on the freeway. Those things are pretty quick.

I love my Legend, too... Great vehicle I ever have.

MID's calculation and estimation are based on varied driving factors and environmental bases. Your 3.5k/50% is far better than many ppl's, for example, my second oil cycle is about 3800 miles at 20%...
Old 06-26-2004, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you guys are taking your cars in for service at the ACURA DEALERS check the invoice for parts. They may be putting in stuff like BG44K fuel treatment or BG MOA oil treatment.
The can of BG44K fuel treatment alone cost around $25 so this would increase your cost.
The BG MOA treatment for the oil cost about $11 a can. I highly advise the use of BG44K every 7,500 miles. This is stronger stuff then the STP like brands you buy at auto stores. Many luxury car dealers use this in the service shops. If you don't take your car in for service at the dealer you can still buy a can over the counter & add to your fuel tank.But look for extra parts like this on your invoice to increase your cost. Some of this stuff will be added at certain service mileage intervals. www.bgprod.com
Old 06-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by FTM-1
If you guys are taking your cars in for service at the ACURA DEALERS check the invoice for parts. They may be putting in stuff like BG44K fuel treatment or BG MOA oil treatment.
The can of BG44K fuel treatment alone cost around $25 so this would increase your cost.
The BG MOA treatment for the oil cost about $11 a can. I highly advise the use of BG44K every 7,500 miles. This is stronger stuff then the STP like brands you buy at auto stores. Many luxury car dealers use this in the service shops. If you don't take your car in for service at the dealer you can still buy a can over the counter & add to your fuel tank.But look for extra parts like this on your invoice to increase your cost. Some of this stuff will be added at certain service mileage intervals. www.bgprod.com

First of all, they shouldn't be putting anything into your car without your express permission.

Second of all, and this is sure to be controversial, why would you put any additives into a new car? I am sure you believe in BG products, but I question the necessity of using additives like this.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ron A
First of all, they shouldn't be putting anything into your car without your express permission.

Second of all, and this is sure to be controversial, why would you put any additives into a new car? I am sure you believe in BG products, but I question the necessity of using additives like this.
Well I do not have a new car I have a 2000TL that was purchased new over 4yrs ago by me. When you go in for routine dealer service this is something that many on this forum do not unless the car is not working or needs warranty work. Many are do it yourselfers & do thier own oil changes & stuff. But I have taken my car to the dealer most of the time since it was new. Now that I am out of warranty I will take it to another shop to do most work & this shop uses the BG products. It is owned by Pat Goss from the national weekly TV show Motor Week on PBS. He is also the spokesman for BG products but as I said many dealers use this stuff & it works.
My sister had a 1993 DODGE CARAVAN I always took it in for service when it was new at the dealer this is were I learned about BG products back then. The DODGE dealership also was owned along with 5 other car dealerships. They had a large BENZ dealership that was next door that use the BG products in the service department. If it can be put into $90,000 BENZ cars it can go into mine. When I got my new ACURA the dealership had BG service kit intervals in the schedule maintenance book. So if your dealer does it they would put in the BG MOA oil additive in at the 2nd oil change. The 44k fuel treatment is put in at around 15K service. BG says use 44K every 7,500 miles & restores that like new performace to your engine. We all know that gasoline has natural byproducts in them that create carbon deposits in our cars.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
This might help to answer the injector cleaner questions:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=171397

Be careful of 44K - it is very strong, and some have said that the fuel pump socks can be damaged by it.

I think BG is OK in some areas, but MOA makes no sense to me - it is an add pack (additive package). I have seen an analysis of its compnents, and as a tribologist, I cannot see why adding more of what is already in the oil is supposed to do - and it may well upset the balance of additives which are carefully engineered into the oil. Too much -phosphorous and cat life is shortened. If I were on a desert island and my oil was very old, a can of MOA might extend it - but i do not see the point of it. I "debated" a BG salesman on out local cable Blab channel, and it was Einstein debating a carrot. The guy knew nothing other than selling his products, and lacked any supporting evidence or understanding of the underlying science. Before I would use it, I would think very carefully.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Road Rage
This might help to answer the injector cleaner questions:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=171397

Be careful of 44K - it is very strong, and some have said that the fuel pump socks can be damaged by it.

I think BG is OK in some areas, but MOA makes no sense to me - it is an add pack (additive package). I have seen an analysis of its compnents, and as a tribologist, I cannot see why adding more of what is already in the oil is supposed to do - and it may well upset the balance of additives which are carefully engineered into the oil. Too much -phosphorous and cat life is shortened. If I were on a desert island and my oil was very old, a can of MOA might extend it - but i do not see the point of it. I "debated" a BG salesman on out local cable Blab channel, and it was Einstein debating a carrot. The guy knew nothing other than selling his products, and lacked any supporting evidence or understanding of the underlying science. Before I would use it, I would think very carefully.
Thats the point the ACURA dealer has been putting it in my 2000TL since it was new 4yrs at mileage intervals. I have had no problems at all & this is what they do.
With my sisters 1993 CARAVAN the DODGE dealer put the BG products in at mileage intervals. I always took the van in for service since it was new for 6yrs I did this. The DODGE dealer had the same BG program as ACURA. We never had any problems related to oil, engine or fuel system components. The van was wrecked last year but I was not responsible for its service since 2000. With the 44K you only put it in every 7,500 miles
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Type- (S)low

If I might add. Tires Rotation are "free" at Discount Tires.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
does anybody know where i can find a list of the various services that come up, and how to reset the computer after i change oil and such?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Owners Manual.

They are available as PDF's on-line if you don't have one, but I don't have the link on this PC.

You might try to search "owners manual".
Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Alot of good info is in the Garage.

Here's the link to the manuals: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp