Sponsored by:

Selling my '08 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Selling my '08 TL-S

Hey guys,

I'm selling my 2008 TL-S. It's got 4200 miles. Completely stock. How much do you guys think I can get for it? What's the minimum I should ask for?

Thanks!

B
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i would think you can get 30-32k....you can get a brand new one for around 33k+taxs...that would be around 34.5-35k....
Old 02-16-2008, 06:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
If you don't mind my asking: Why are you selling so soon?

I'm afraid your going to lose a few grand.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Acuras Only in

You can access kbb.com or edmunds.com to find out more info about your car ...

I want to know too ... why selling it so soon?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:14 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
If you don't mind my asking: Why are you selling so soon?

I'm afraid your going to lose a few grand.
I think your answer lies here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25
Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
Good research JPTL-S! Yes, that's exactly why I'm selling it. I just can't stand the rattles anymore! They are multiplying, like rabbits! Today for instance, I noticed a new one (from that center speaker looking thing in the middle of the dash on top of the nav screen).

Shooter - I tried kbb.com and they don't have '08 models yet. That was why I posted here... I did check autotrader and saw a few for sale, but wanted to get the experts' opinions here! They have some on Autotrader as high as 34.5K.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Pro

Dude you are stuck with the car for now deal with it. Go get the rattles fixed at your dealership and research the TSB's on this site.

I have already had two rattles fixed and they are gone and it cost me nothing.

Only way to sell the car is through a personal sale and that is such a pain in the ass and anyways like people have said they can go buy a new one for only a couple grand more.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Hey Spree, I'm a little late to the party here but i just read your rattles thread from the link a few posts back and I had an idea.

Some one pointed out in that thread that the techs might not be the best at hearing rattles after hearing impact wrenches going all day. Did you go back to your salesman and ask him (or her) to go for a spin with you and show them what you are talking about? They wouldn't be able to fix it themselves, but it can help to have an advocate.

If the dealer truly won't work with you, that sux. If you're going to sell privately, your probably going to have to advertise at about 33K to get peoples attention, then they are going to want to negotiate. What you are actually willing to let it go for is up to you, it's gonna hurt, I guess it depends on your tolerance for pain.

The part that sux the most (besides the rattles) is the fact that they have the dealer incentive on new ones which essentially instantly depreciates your car and will continue to depreciate your car if they increase the dealer incentive. If your gonna do it do it quick because this Gen TL is gone around October so Acura will end up blowing them out at the end of the 08 model run.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by black label
Hey Spree, I'm a little late to the party here but i just read your rattles thread from the link a few posts back and I had an idea.
Acura will end up blowing them out at the end of the 08 model run.
Really good advice. Thanks man. The only thing is, I really don't feel like driving the car anymore. It doesn't bring me any enjoyment whatsoever. I hate to say that, but it's true. I didn't even get to enjoy the 'new car experience' because it rattled from day 1, which is really disappointing. Anyway, you offer some really good advice and I really appreciate it.

The last time I took it to the dealer, they were so tired of me that they suggested I not bring it back until it was due for an oil change and then they'll try to look at some of the rattles if they're still there. Which to me is like saying: Buzz off, we don't want to deal with your rattles. Anyway, I'm tired of wasting my time trying to get things fixed. It's a frustrating endeavor.

Yeah, the new model TL (09) is going to make my car depreciate even more, which is one of the reasons I want to get rid of it now...

Originally Posted by evanj5
Only way to sell the car is through a personal sale and that is such a pain in the ass and anyways like people have said they can go buy a new one for only a couple grand more.
Yeah, it is a pain, but I'd rather do that than own a car I don't enjoy.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Be prepared for hell if you try to sell it on your own. You're got competition from dealers who can offer financing. How many people can come to your house with a check for 30k?

And with today's economy its double tough. I would try to work it out first.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
On a trade they will offer you $30k.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^
Old 02-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnier6
i would think you can get 30-32k....you can get a brand new one for around 33k+taxs...that would be around 34.5-35k....

For a TL-S?
Man, you guys in Texas are DEALIN'
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced

I got rid of my 06 because i couldnt stand the rattles anymore either.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow, people get rid of cars like it's a jacket out of season. Hey, I'm not knocking it. To each his own. Sure my 05 has occasional rattles. I went to the dealer who fixed the major one in the center console.

However, it's unimaginable to me to get rid of a car with 4K miles on it taking a heavy financial loss in the interim.

But if it drives you crazy then I guess go for it. Cars are going to rattle. Even 60-70K cars.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

sooo what car are u deciding to switch to if u dont mind me asking
Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for stimulating the economy. When you sell, someone pays taxes, you buy a new one uncle sam gets a buckets of change.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
You only pay tax from the dealer.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
You only pay tax from the dealer.
You still have to pay tax at the DMV when you register a privately bought car.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
too many hobbies...

Originally Posted by calgary2800
Thanks for stimulating the economy. When you sell, someone pays taxes, you buy a new one uncle sam gets a buckets of change.
Nice. Way to to rub salt in the OP's wound.

Anyway, spree, maybe you should try to send Acura a letter. Be very detailed and courteous. Try to include exact details of what rattles, when you took it to your dealer, how they brushed you off, etc. They might have some options for you like suggesting another dealer who has done more of that type of work (just grasping). Even if this other dealer has the car a month, as long as you have a loaner, no big deal. But, at least try some few FREE options before taking a bath on switching to another car so soon. As some others have mentioned, check out some of the rattle threads on this site too. You might find you can fix them all. Either way, good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Sometimes rattle dies off after driving over certain miles i had some rattles and right now

im almost near 6000 miles and i dont have have any rattles at all - only sometimes when i

drive over rough rough surfaces

and also, for alignment, i had the same problem car was keep pulling to right so i took it

back and they fixed it, but still felt like it was pulling to the right but you gotta factor in the

road. Not all roads are perfectly flat and balanced so it really depends on the road

so yeah, i wouldn't recommend selling the beautiful car but if you feel like you can't stand it

go for it =(
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pkarandi

Anyway, spree, maybe you should try to send Acura a letter. Be very detailed and courteous. Try to include exact details of what rattles, when you took it to your dealer, how they brushed you off, etc. They might have some options for you like suggesting another dealer who has done more of that type of work (just grasping).
Some good advice throughout this thread. Search for the TSB's on the rattles. Print them out and bring them with you to the dealer. If they refuse to fix it, write a letter to Acura Client Services. Document every trip to the dealer including your trip with the TSB's in hand. My dealer was hesitant to address the transmission drone issue (1500 rpm with load). I printed out the TSB and brought it with me to the dealer. When they gave me the "why are you here again?" look, I placed the TSB on the service manager's desk and told him to fix it or expect a lengthy battle. They fixed it.

Another poster mentioned that some rattles disappear. I had a rear shelf rattle that seemed harmonic. It would come and go at 72-75 mph. It has stopped.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
So far so good, no rattles in my 08 TL-S, but I do have a lot of road noise, I can't drive without the radio on...

Good luck in your sale! (or just spend a weekend locating and fixing the rattles)
Old 02-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

!

Originally Posted by pkarandi

Anyway, spree, maybe you should try to send Acura a letter. Be very detailed and courteous. Try to include exact details of what rattles, when you took it to your dealer, how they brushed you off, etc. They might have some options for you like suggesting another dealer who has done more of that type of work (just grasping). Even if this other dealer has the car a month, as long as you have a loaner, no big deal. But, at least try some few FREE options before taking a bath on switching to another car so soon. As some others have mentioned, check out some of the rattle threads on this site too. You might find you can fix them all. Either way, good luck and please keep us posted.
Thanks pk

Actually, I called Acura and they suggested the very thing you did! To take it to another dealer. But to be honest, I just didn't feel like doing that. I just don't think another dealer is going to be able to fix all the rattles. Heck, I'm even getting speaker rattles from high bass! I swear! Couldn't believe it. Brand new car

You guys offer some really good advice, but I think I mentally I've given up on the car and I can't see myself trying out all the fixes myself. I feel like it's overwhelming, plus, half the time, I can't even locate the rattles.

Originally Posted by Soccer_playa1579
sooo what car are u deciding to switch to if u dont mind me asking
Not sure! That's my biggest thing is I don't really like anything else out there. In all likelihood, I'll probably get a used M3 (04-05).

Thanks for all the support guys, definitely some great advice so far.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
too many hobbies...

No problem spree.

I feel for you. I bought my 2007 TL-S as a certified pre-owned car and have noticed some minor rattles. They don't bother me too much so I can easily live with them. But, I ALSO noticed a little speaker rattle from too much bass! That is total BS because I don't play my music that loud. I am dealing with it for now because I don't listen to music that much (I am a huge fan of the Junkies talk show so I almost always have them on - either live or on podcast).

Sooner or later I will take the car in for warranty work on that speaker, especially if it gets worse. I figure the worst case scenario is a few hundred bucks to have new speakers installed. Not a huge deal if I keep the car long term (which I intend to do).

I installed new speakers myself in my old Prelude and the hardest part was simply getting to them. After that, it was pretty easy. A new set of 4 Inifinity's was like $200. They weren't high end, but sounded great.

I do understand your frustration though, and if you just want this all behind you, I guess your only option is to trade out. Have you considered a new G35 sedan? Those things are SWEET, and as far as I'm concerned, the only drawback to them (vs. the TL) is they don't get such great gas mileage.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Buy the car for 30K, fix the rattles and then sell it for 32K!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Tell you what, I call Vinnie and he'll take it off a cliff for a grand. Never to be found again. Extra bodies no charge.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008 Acura TL
Tell you what, I call Vinnie and he'll take it off a cliff for a grand. Never to be found again. Extra bodies no charge.
or just light a match to it...either way its gone....
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Spree,
Judging by your writings in this and the previous thread. I know you are simply DONE - period. I don't blame you one bit - bad luck of the draw.

I say, sell it because you will not be happy otherwise. I suggest that you tolerate it for a few more months and trade it back to Acura for a 09 or trade/swap for a G35.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
6th Gear

Cool Rattles

I have dealt with my share of rattles from my 05 TL and I have been frustrated more times than I can count. I've had rattles from the rear sub, the door panel, rear seatbelt from bass, etc... After taking to the dealer several times with no success, i finally decided to pursue it further with Acura Client services, BBB, State consumer affairs, etc... and wala...rattles were repaired and I was given the attention that was needed. It's a shame you have to take it that far, but the TL is still a great car and if you have warranty coverage on it, then make them listen to your concerns and get the rattles fixed.

My rattles were caused by loose wires inside the driver's door panel and the sub rattle was caused by the rear speaker panel being too close to the rear window and the seat belt holder vibrating from bass.

The rear sub was the worst rattle and the most frustrating. I even had them replace the rear speaker just in case that was the problem. Hope this helps...you may be having similar rattles.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

rattles.... , I took one weekend to actually sit on the passenger side and have the wifeys drive the car around bumpy roads....rear sub woofer rattle fixed with some padding and one anoying rattle in the dash was a panel under the driver side that was not placed properly possibly during assembly...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Out of curiosity, everyone who really has troubles with rattles from day one, can you list the year of your car and the last 5 digits of your vin#?

I just want to see when the car was built down the line...

If we can find enough similarities, we can provide that information to Honda assembly line...so they can fix all of our rattles under warranty, and actually fix them, not just cover it up temporarily.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by evanj5
Dude you are stuck with the car for now deal with it. Go get the rattles fixed at your dealership and research the TSB's on this site.

I have already had two rattles fixed and they are gone and it cost me nothing.

It cost time to keep dropping the car off at the dealer. Then you're stuck with a cheaper loaner model who people smoke in.

I think a trade-in will be the only way as someone else pointed out most people get financing through the dealer. I've found selling anything over $10k private party can be pretty tedious. Even if you offer a substantial discount over the dealer. For example we had a car that was selling at all the dealers for $23k and were offering $18k, but everyone just assumed to buy it from the dealer.

Gonna have to eat a few thousand plus the tax. Then you will have to turn around and pay tax again on another car. I will probably trade my 2007 TL-S in too but will wait a little while longer. You'll probably get the close to the same trade-in value whether it's 1 month old or 12 months old.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Out of curiosity, everyone who really has troubles with rattles from day one, can you list the year of your car and the last 5 digits of your vin#?

I just want to see when the car was built down the line...

If we can find enough similarities, we can provide that information to Honda assembly line...so they can fix all of our rattles under warranty, and actually fix them, not just cover it up temporarily.
I got an '08 Type S that rattles from day one. The dealer has replaced parts in different locations, that supposedly caused the rattle, 3 times already and it still rattles. The last rattle appointment I had was this past Saturday. I took the tech on a drive and he was confident that he found it. Picked up the car and the rattle was still there. So far, it has been the worse car ownership experience ever. I wish I have my old Accord back.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
You still have to pay tax at the DMV when you register a privately bought car.

True not as much tho.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, these threads scare me. I'm picking up my new TL-S this Thursday and I will definitely be taking it out on a test drive before I take delivery (thanks to whomever it was that suggested that!).
Y'know, I know no car is perfect but I expect rattles and squeaks from a 10 year old Chevy Cavalier not a brand new "upscale" sport luxury sedan. Rattles and squeaks infer that the car has inferior materials/fit & finish...totally inexcusable in a near $50K car (up here in Canada with taxes).
I suspect (and hope) that these are isolated incidents in the grand scheme of things but it's still disheartening to read as it seems to bea common complaint for the TL/TL-S.

All I know is that if mine does rattle, my dealer will fix it...period. I won't put up with it. Spree, I hope that it all works out for ya in the end.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Instructor

I just picked up my '08 TL (Alabaster/black) a few weeks back. BTW, lovin' it. I'm in upstate NY, where it's freakin colder than a witches you know what. We've had below zero temps, snow, rain, sleet, you name it, we've had it. The roads here pretty much suck. Potholes everywhere. I am happy to report I have not heard one squeak, moan, rattle, ping or noise since the day I picked it up.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Advanced

^Same here. I've had my 08 ASM (Sorry D Man) 6MT TL Type S for just over a week now. I have just over 800km and with the recent rough driving conditions, freezing temps etc. I so far haven't heard a single rattle, squeek yet

My sub woofer does have an aggravating vibration when playing music with the deep base.

My 04 on the other hand had every rattle that most have described on this forum. I had most fixed but still had the passenger side sun visor rattle. I just lowered the sun visor part way and it would stop.

The 08 has been exellent in comparison.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I thought stock TL's run MSRP around 33k plus taxes.. TL-S are worth about 38k+ taxes.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM
6th Gear

Don’t despair...go to the dealer and demand they fix the rattles. It may take a few visits to get the rattles completely corrected, but the car is well worth it. I love my TL, rattles and all! The rattles are now gone in mine after several visits. Keep in mind that you have a warranty that covers this kind of stuff and the dealer will need to fix whatever issues arise. I have 96K miles on my 05TL and it still drives like new...just need new tires now!

The rear sub has been an issue that Acura has been aware of for quite some time...I don't know why they don't recall the rear sub/rear panel. It seems to be a persistent complaint from other Acura owners.

I think that all cars have some issues when new since they have never been driven...you are not sure what’s going to happen until you start to put some miles on the car...I assume that this is why they provide a warranty.

Hope you get the rattles fixed so you can start enjoying the car...it's a great vehicle and fun to drive. Good luck and remember...patience is a virtue.

Quick Reply: Selling my '08 TL-S