Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt Reminder Chime

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by HacksawHilliard
eneg, I think you missed th point made by the post you responded to. If you're killed in an accident that wasn't your fault and you were not wearing your seatbelt, your familiy may still get some money but any amount will be greatly reduced if the insurance companies can show you may not have been killed had you buckled up.

Whether one wears their seatbelt or not is a personal decision regardless of how fast they drive. The facts of matter are that it is proven that wearing your belt will give you a much greater chance of survival if you're in a serious accident.

We have many rights in this country, even the right to be stupid. If one wants to disregard most state laws and even pay some steep fines ($187 in OR) if they get caught, then more "power" to them.
Hacksaw,

Nope, I didn't miss the point!
Please show me an incident where an insurance company paid out less because of someone not wearing a seatbelt. . .
I am not denying that seatbelts saves lives.
Driving at 55 mph is also a lot safer than driving faster.
We don't always do what is best, do we?

What I don't want is some moron picking and choosing for ME, what laws that I should obey!
I'll make my own decisions and if I have to, will suffer the consequences. . .

Eneg
Old 12-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seatbelt

Originally posted by Z Factor
Furthermore, in no way should someone come along and suggest a way for that person to circumvent an important safety feature.
How many times are you going to use this ignorant line?

Please tell me what important safety feature he is trying to circumvent??

I think his post was pretty clear, he wants to shut a chime off, a little annoying bell.

He is not asking how to take the damn seatbelts out of his car.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seatbelt

Originally posted by TooLate
How many times are you going to use this ignorant line?

Please tell me what important safety feature he is trying to circumvent??

I think his post was pretty clear, he wants to shut a chime off, a little annoying bell.

He is not asking how to take the damn seatbelts out of his car.
May I suggest that with you being new to the forum, that you show your fellow posters a little more respect when discussing issues with them? Until you get to know your fellow posters better, and can determine whether or not they possess intelligence, you should not attack them for their thoughts.

My statement is neither "ignorant", nor bad advice. If you have read through my other responses in this thread, you know exactly where I stand on this issue, and the sound reasoning I give for my position. You are free to do what you like with your car, but it doesn't mean that we must all pat you on the back or approve of your actions. I for one hope that you never experience, much less even see the type of trauma that occurs to unrestrained occupants of motor vehicles involved in collisions.

Have a safe and happy New Year
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Advanced

You can spew all the crap that you want, but we can all see you clearly walking around the one simple question that I asked.

"Please tell me what important safety feature he is trying to circumvent??"

It's so much easier to just admit that you're wrong than write all that crap out. It's so easy, just admit that he isn't trying to circumvent any safety features, only disable a chime. Stop trying to make him out to be a criminal ripping seatbelts out of cars.

Or of course you can try to answer the question with more ignorance...
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by brandomc
The '04 TL is a little too American. The one thing that drives me crazy about modern American cars are all the safety warnings. I hate renting a Ford Tauras because of the selt belt chime every minute reminding you to put on your seltbelt. My '02 TL-S was perfect. The red seatbelt reminder stayed lit with no chimes. Well, American Acura has gone Ford. The new TL has the annoying reminder chime every minute or so.

For all the tech people: Is there a way to mute / disconnect this annoying seatbelt reminder chime?

I just took a old credit card and cut it in half (Long ways) and it fits right into the buckle (with enough sticking out still if you need to pull it out)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the seat belt reminder chime shuts itself off after you have a front end collision and all the air bags deploy......
Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by MikeRadio
Do the cars in New Hampshire come without seatbelt chimes?
ROFL
Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Race Director

In NC the law goes into affect that as of tomorrow not only in the front but in the back you must be buckled up. Also the law is now you have to be 18 to talk and drive at the same time. They also added that you can now get a DUI on a bike and tractors and stuff like that. All this goes into affect in about two hours.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidPax219
I just took a old credit card and cut it in half (Long ways) and it fits right into the buckle (with enough sticking out still if you need to pull it out)
Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 PM
MBI
Intermediate

I love this one the best..... "... all my friends have tolltags, but they prefer to go through the exact change lanes at 115 mph while honking to piss off the workers...Even they wear seatbelts. "

Can any of you seatbealt wearing "smart people" back up our friend here and tell me exactly how is a seatbelt improving the chance of the toll worker surviving this incident? If you find a way you will convince me to buckle up everytime I drive.

P.S.
If I offended anyone here, let me know, and I will do it again.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I find interesting is how you would go through the trouble of spending days going through junk yards trying to find a compatible buckle from a junked car (or spend potentially days CADing and machining an identical buckle) just to save 2 seconds when you get into the car. Seems a little silly to me.

But if all you people who are stupid enough to not buckle your seat belt every time you get in the car crash and you die, well then that's natural selection at its finest. Your defective genes will be permanently removed from the gene pool to the benefit of all humanity.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
FOR SALE - BM

i use a belt clip from a saab .. im sure there are other manufacturers might fit
Old 12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

RE: Seatbelt

You could just turn the radio up until it stops which the chime does after about 15 minutes or so.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Wow, I didnt read the whole thread but it seems to go on about the same point. Brandomc knows about seatbelt saving lives and all that. He just wants to know how to disable the seatbelt chime. He is taking the risk, if he gets caught by the police, or get in an accient he is willing to take that chance being he posted saying that. So far about halfway thru people were giving him the 3rd degree and calling him stupid. Well what im trying to get to is you dont have to lecture him about seatbelt safety, he knows the risk and he is taking them.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm shocked that this thread is being allowed to continue. The moderators usually close this topic immediately.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Dreamer

To disable the chime, trace the wire out of the female portion of the buckle, short the two wires together (it's a normally open switch and this closes it permanently).

If you want a bit more control, wire in a two position switch (from auto zone, etc) between the sensor wires and put it somewhere you can reach it. When you close the switch, it'll think the seatbelt is latched, even if its not. And with the switch open, the chime functions normally.

My chime bothers me after I check the mail at my apartment and then circle up to the 4th level of the parking garage. But not enough to go to the trouble of bypassing the sensor. But, if you want to fix it, this is the way. I've successfully bypassed a couple of these in other cars.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I can't believe someone is actually willing to go through the trouble of disabling something so trivial (sort of like spending 10 minutes looking for the remote instead of getting up and turning the TV on). Entire countries have per capita GDPs in the triple digits and we've got people whining about a chime telling them to put their seatbelt on...

That reminds me, my dog barks too much, maybe I'll have its vocal chords removed (such a procedure exists for those automatically assuming I pulled it out of my a$$)... I mean "it's my right," so who needs antiquated concepts like "exercising a little tolerance" or just plain DEAL WITH IT! Christ...
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by goswald80
(sort of like spending 10 minutes looking for the remote instead of getting up and turning the TV on)
I have to disagree with the remote thing... I'll spend 20 minutes looking for the remote after I've gotten up and turned the TV on. Without it I'd be stuck watching Sponge Bob and no way to change the channel.

I am thinking of doing the vocal chord procedure to my dog though.

Seriously though... I have to agree with you.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Instructor

The guys who are stating the importance of the seatbelt and how it saves lives etc, they are fellow TL owners who care about the safety of another fellow TL owner. It's kinda like a close friend or relative who really cares about you. You don't have to listen or follow their suggestions, but I believe their original intention is meant to be good, not to criticize....
Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must admit I was not a big sealbelt fan in the past but I thank Acura for making me wear it each any every time I get into my new car.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
come on people.. you guys realized this thread is 3 years old?!

and where are the mod's?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by brandomc
The '04 TL is a little too American. The one thing that drives me crazy about modern American cars are all the safety warnings. I hate renting a Ford Tauras because of the selt belt chime every minute reminding you to put on your seltbelt. My '02 TL-S was perfect. The red seatbelt reminder stayed lit with no chimes. Well, American Acura has gone Ford. The new TL has the annoying reminder chime every minute or so.

For all the tech people: Is there a way to mute / disconnect this annoying seatbelt reminder chime?