Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Memory Still an Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Memory Still an Issue?

I hope this isn't repetitive, but I have a Feb '04 production 2004 TL that loses its memory seat settings periodically. Seems to happen when the memory position is not accessed for an extended period. It is primarily an issue with position 2, which is my wife's setting that is used only every couple of weeks or so. I have lost position 1 (my setting) about 3 times since I bought the car. I have read on this forum that this was a recognized problem with early production TLs.

Just had the car at the dealership for the B1 service and asked them about the seats. At first the dealer said that Acura had a fix, and they would simply replace the module. However, my VIN # is outside the range previously identified as having the problem. So Acura has apparently told the dealer not to switch out the module on my car, and that I should wait while Acura studies the problem. No real timeframe, although the dealer said they would call me in about a week.

After some questioning by me, the dealer stated that the new modules do not appear to be solving the problem in all cases.

For now, I suppose I will be a little patient. Several months ago when I first inquired about the issue, the dealer stated that they would need to keep my car for an extended period to see if they could replicate the problem - given that the memory appeared to the dealer to be working fine. I balked at the time, not wanting to argue with them about whether I was imagining things or simply seeking some sort of windfall by having a new memory module installed in my car when one was not needed.

Can anyone offer any insight?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by stromboli
I hope this isn't repetitive, but I have a Feb '04 production 2004 TL that loses its memory seat settings periodically. Seems to happen when the memory position is not accessed for an extended period. It is primarily an issue with position 2, which is my wife's setting that is used only every couple of weeks or so. I have lost position 1 (my setting) about 3 times since I bought the car. I have read on this forum that this was a recognized problem with early production TLs.

Just had the car at the dealership for the B1 service and asked them about the seats. At first the dealer said that Acura had a fix, and they would simply replace the module. However, my VIN # is outside the range previously identified as having the problem. So Acura has apparently told the dealer not to switch out the module on my car, and that I should wait while Acura studies the problem. No real timeframe, although the dealer said they would call me in about a week.

After some questioning by me, the dealer stated that the new modules do not appear to be solving the problem in all cases.

For now, I suppose I will be a little patient. Several months ago when I first inquired about the issue, the dealer stated that they would need to keep my car for an extended period to see if they could replicate the problem - given that the memory appeared to the dealer to be working fine. I balked at the time, not wanting to argue with them about whether I was imagining things or simply seeking some sort of windfall by having a new memory module installed in my car when one was not needed.

Can anyone offer any insight?

This happens to me occasionally in my '05 5AT. Supposedly not a reported problem with that model! I know they wouldn't do squat if I brought it in...
Old 02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Glad I hear this. My car is a MT '04 model (bought May '04) and the memory buttons have been inoperative for about 3 weeks !!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum

We have had a few threads talking about this issue... the recent one is https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/new-mercedes-benz-e55-amg-estate-108639/
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Banned

We have had our '05 5AT non-navi almost three months now and, yes, it has "dumped" its seat memory, one or both settings, several times.

It has also "dumped" its radio setting memory (all of it) at least a couple of times.

None of these occurances has happened in the past month, however. It almost seems like the memory had to burn-in if such a thing exists.

I'll mention both when I take it in for first servicing.

Still an awesome set of wheels!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info. I will read through the previous thread.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Mine didn't always work too but they replaced it yesterday.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Advanced

My brand new 05 with Navi dumped all of my XM presets, too, as well as the adjustments I had made to the audio settings (subwoofer level, etc.). In fact, it took me back to the XM Preview channel. The next time I started the car, though, everything seemed to be fine. Go figure. Have others had this problem? I thought maybe it was because my husband had used his key fob (for the first time) to open the doors. I asked my sales guy at the dealership, and he said that the key fobs don't remember the audio settings. Is that true?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Annsue
My brand new 05 with Navi dumped all of my XM presets, too, as well as the adjustments I had made to the audio settings (subwoofer level, etc.). In fact, it took me back to the XM Preview channel. The next time I started the car, though, everything seemed to be fine. Go figure. Have others had this problem? I thought maybe it was because my husband had used his key fob (for the first time) to open the doors. I asked my sales guy at the dealership, and he said that the key fobs don't remember the audio settings. Is that true?
Dude 2 words - BULL SH!T
Old 02-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Angry

This happened to me just yesterday on my '04 TL and I was furious since I was dealing with the rattle on the dash. In addition to the wind noise due to the window seal inside the driver side.

My dealer played dumb when I brought up the noises.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1,009 Likes on 576 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer
Dude 2 words - BULL SH!T
The keyfob will not remember the radio settings. Is that what you meant?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Dude 2 words - BULL SH!T
It is true that the keyfob will not remember the radio settings. Is that what you meant?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Replacing the memory module seems to have fixed the problem in my 04 early (Nov) build TL.

Occaisionally XM is tuned to the preview channel when I start it in the morning, but the presets are still in memory, so it's a minor annoyance.

(Much worse is the fact that the 8 sec buffer in the XM receiver is completely inadequate to keep from losing the signal & the "no signal" screen from displaying driving in hilly country, under leafy trees, next to semis, etc.)
Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
The keyfob will not remember the radio settings. Is that what you meant?
Hey Ron - no I meant the salesman's response was BS. The key fobs are programmed to activate a module which in turn is the one responsible to memorize all associated settings. Now I am not sure about XM but I do know of vehicles where a module will accept a driver's preferences and once the key fob is programmed to activate the module, voila you get everything back the way you set it. So for this salesman to give this guy the ignorant treatment is unacceptable.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hey Ron - no I meant the salesman's response was BS. The key fobs are programmed to activate a module which in turn is the one responsible to memorize all associated settings. Now I am not sure about XM but I do know of vehicles where a module will accept a driver's preferences and once the key fob is programmed to activate the module, voila you get everything back the way you set it. So for this salesman to give this guy the ignorant treatment is unacceptable.
I was going by this part of the post by Annsue
Originally Posted by Annsue
I asked my sales guy at the dealership, and he said that the key fobs don't remember the audio settings. Is that true?
Our key fobs only remember seat, outside mirror, and air conditioner settings, and only when a different keyfob is used to unlock the doors since the other keyfob was used. That is why I said that the keyfob for the TL will not remember the audio settings, which is true. It would be nice if it did, but it doesn't.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Thanks for clarifying about the audio settings. I'm not quite sure what happened - maybe it was just one of those infamous technology glitches. I'll wait and see if it happens again. If it does, I'll bring it to the dealer's attention when I take my car in for service.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Key fobs remember?

Our key fobs only remember seat, outside mirror, and air conditioner settings,
I know what you're trying to say, but the way you said it isn't right.

The key fobs themselves remember nothing, they're simply a RF triggering device. The memorized settings are recalled from one of the control modules in the car based on which key fob is sensed when the unlock button is pressed on the fob.

So if the car has an electronic "hiccup" the setting would get cleared until they're recalled out of memory again.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kosh2258
I know what you're trying to say, but the way you said it isn't right.

The key fobs themselves remember nothing, they're simply a RF triggering device. The memorized settings are recalled from one of the control modules in the car based on which key fob is sensed when the unlock button is pressed on the fob.

So if the car has an electronic "hiccup" the setting would get cleared until they're recalled out of memory again.
Exactly what I said but perhaps better explained by Kosh. It's all
Old 02-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

OK I understand the distinction and what you are saying. I was just trying to get the point across that no matter what happens, the keyfob will never recall radio settings, but I just didn't say it the way you are thinking.