Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scerrrr-ape

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scerrrr-ape

Parked on a pretty good incline yesterday. As I was backing out, and had to manuever slighty, heard a dreadful scraping sound. Thought I'd dragged bottom (the parking slot went out directly out onto the street which had a dip along the curb).

Later I checked around for any damage and horror of horrors, notice a 4" long scrape along the underside of the front bumper. :smackhead

So word of advice, be careful on those steep uphills/downhills. I was really hoping to pin the first scratch on the Ms. Thanks for letting me vent.

04 TL SSM/Quartz/5AT/Navi - A body shop visit is in my future.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Racer

I had my NBD for just over a month and got a door ding already. I'm very careful about my car and always park away from everyone else. I even take back few shopping carts around my car on my way to the stores - see my pet peeves.

So, I don't get it. What gives? Why did someone decide to park way out next to my car and open their stupid a$$ door into my car? Some people just don't have any respect for other's property.

My pet peeves are 1. people leaving their shopping carts in the parking lot, 2. people with big trucks that park crooked and block you in and 3. people who take up 2 spaces with their new car - in front of the store.

04 TL / 5 AT / Navi - BLACK with a white ding
Old 01-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Pro

I have not checked yet, but I did the same thing coming out of a parking lot. It was angled down toward the gutter and the street was angled up. The combo of them had my nose scrape the street. It was very slight, so I do not know if it did any damage. I have not looked as there is nothing I can do now if it is there except get it fixed. Since it will more than likely happen again, I will just leave it there and think the car is perfect.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by casooner90
I had my NBD for just over a month and got a door ding already.
Do you have Body Side Moldings?

Mike
Old 01-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Been there...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=69494
Old 01-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Racer

I don't have the body molding because I "think" it ruins the look. I don't have a bra either, but both of these are sounding like a real option. However, I think it will have the same effect if I get a ding on the molding as that will show too. Maybe just continue to park a mile away and hope those trucks stay away.

The black looks great, but it will broadcast the nicks and dings.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:15 PM
8th Gear

"I don't have the body molding because I "think" it ruins the look. "

I've been trying to decide on the side molding, with no resolution yet. It definitely makes the car look busier, but I can't make up my mind about it being worse.

Do people here think the side molding provides any appreciable protection against dings? Since they're plastic, I'm assuming if they get hit they could be buffed out. But it seems the metal parts of the door could still be hit, depending on height and shape of the offending doors...

Kevin
Old 01-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by casooner90
However, I think it will have the same effect if I get a ding on the molding as that will show too.
It takes a much harder hit to "ding" the molding.

Out of curiosity; is the door ding where the BSM would have been if you had them?

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Racer

Funny you mentioned that. The ding is about 4" off of bottom and just aft of the front left tire so I don't know know if the BSM would have been out there far enough to stop the intrusive door (of a white car). This must have happened in a slanted parking lot where the vehicle on the left is further up due to the angle and thus close to my left tire.

Like I said, I just need to take more precaution on where and whom I park next to.

As for the appearance, that's just my opinion. I like the crease above and 'think' that another line below would make the side look too busy. What's next? An air plane wing on the back?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:37 AM
Team Owner

Sounds like that one's out of range of the dings. I don't much care for diagonal spaces for that reason; I try to take an end spot and park toward the curb to give my car as much space as possible.

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb Suggestion

Suggestion: Try backing into the spots.

The backside of the car is definitely higher than the front, so there is little chance of scraping.

Just an idea.