Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSB went the wrong way

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
RSB went the wrong way

To make a long story short. I drove into a corner a little to fast and my backend started sliding, hit the curb and the street name sign. damaged two of my wheels which on one of them the tire came off. I bent the exhaust and the rear bumper went pretty bad as well as the rear tail lights. Also the airbags deployd on the drivers side...in the seat headliner front and back.

Im just wondering at what damage cost im looking at....

please no commments... like u shouldnt have done this and that as i already know but shit happend...what can i tell you it really sucks

i hope you guys could give me an idea

im on visit in Charlotte, if anyone could recommend a place please....
Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That really sucks, sorry to hear. I think we will need some pics to help you out with this.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Hope you alright....

Damage wise I would say about 7-8K in repairs
Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Hope you alright....

Damage wise I would say about 7-8K in repairs
+2 Damn bro thats crazy, hope you are alright.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im alright nothing really happend to me ... the curb wasnt a 90 degree curb more like a 30 degree... when i hit it sideways the car went up a little i guess and with that hit the sign and took it apart...i dont thing the rim is bent much if anything its very little, but by hitting that sign i cought the rear bumper which with that the exhast went it a little and the one tail light. the really bad part is the airbags really wich cut a little into my headliner and ripped the seat....

i cant belive what two seconds of fun do to you....i really gotta get something else which wont tease me to do stupid things like this .... im so pissed...
Old 07-27-2008, 12:45 AM
NBP REPRESENT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
Im alright nothing really happend to me ... the curb wasnt a 90 degree curb more like a 30 degree... when i hit it sideways the car went up a little i guess and with that hit the sign and took it apart...i dont thing the rim is bent much if anything its very little, but by hitting that sign i cought the rear bumper which with that the exhast went it a little and the one tail light. the really bad part is the airbags really wich cut a little into my headliner and ripped the seat....

i cant belive what two seconds of fun do to you....i really gotta get something else which wont tease me to do stupid things like this .... im so pissed...

glad ur ok...BUT...to help...

Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Things happen in real life- sand on a paved road in the corner, black ice,,,,,

Once you get into airbag deployment- and if it was the steering wheel bag or what- that price goes thru the roof - seat repairs $$$$
Often cars that have double front bags deploy= Totaled car

I watched How They Do That- on making airbags and the explosives used to deploy the bags- what an intensive production process- with a price that reflects it!

A body shop is the only one who can answer your $$$ question- if you have comprehensive coverage insurance- its a covered event- something happened to the car- oh well!!!
There could easily be damage to the frame runners/main structure from a side impact- anything that damages suspension transmits that shockwave- you are just seeing the tip of the iceberg in many cases.
Think sway bars- end links- control arm- ball joints- shocks.
Add rim damage,, and think damage to the hub- axles assembly CV joints, maybe transmission depending the hit angle and speed- g force of impact...were the wheels turned at the time...
I worked in a body shop just long enough to be shocked at car construction and especially rebuilding techniques!!! Scary man- you dont want to see the car like that!!!!! EVER
Old 07-27-2008, 01:58 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
real quickly I will give you some quick pricing, just off the top of the head...
if the rear quarter panel is damaged... thats 1k+ right there
driver side airbag list price is just under $300 (factor in labor, since they have to remove the seat from the car and reinstall airbag, restich, and then reinstall)
curtain airbag (did it deploy if so, list price is $500 + labor)
Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Will the car drive ok assuming the tire is on it? The airbags are really going to screw you. Suspension parts aren't cheap but are a DIY assuming you didn't bend any mounting points and you will have to get an alignment. I'd say minimum $5K.

Glad you were ok and nothing wrong with having a little fun but this is why I don't like the big rear sway bars, the car gets tail happy. Not saying I told you so because I like to play around at times too and sometimes luck has a lot to do with it.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Team Owner

Sort of topic related IMO

The safe- or at least "not much to hit and no opposite direction traffic thats not expecting you to come flying off the inside edge of the corner- in their lane"-
A good place to play and learn,,, is at local roadrace courses with Track Days. Weekdays and weekends when no races are on the schedule- tracks rent out to whoever-

Track Days-- also called High performance Driving School or Driving Experience (its not a race its a driving school- your insurance is valid- though you are not there to crash)
They are run by private cars clubs or the track itself- about $250 for a full day, with you driving your car-- with a Pro race licensed driver as the passenger!- Giving you instant feedback and corrections as you go- the best learning possible,
Example: come 1 foot this way- now hold the wheel steady all the way from this dot on the edge of the track down to the apex cone marker- now tap the brakes to set the nose and weight the suspension and steering- turn in now!-good- now ease into the throttle---more- more-- full throttle and drive it all the way out here to the edge and kiss the berm at the 3rd red stripe on it---this afternoon the car will be out here all by itself as you get fast!!

You only go as fast as you and the instructor are comfortable- about 70 percent of full out of what the car and you can do. That increase each session with skill and confidence

Some places allow the instuctors to give you a ride in their personal car for 2-3 laps- after lunch- so you can feel-experience--- and fully understand what they mean about ~the car pushes out here by itself~.

Imagine what some of these guys bring as ~their street car~,,,maybe a C6 or other exotica- or stealthy car with too much under the hood- hang on tight is always my advice when riding with an instructor

Slow down more for the corners until you learn, smooth and slow make smooth and fast later
In the afternoon things get faster- usually 2nd and 3rd gear is all you use- so 40- 110 mph speeds for 20-30 minutes at a time with full throttle and max effort braking- then debrief with intructor-- review how it went- any questions -- then some classroom discussion on skills, then back on the track to practice those- each session building on what you learned and practiced

In the 1st timers group:
Cars run single file, 10 -15 seconds apart- so all your focus is on learning, not watching the mirror.
For the faster groups- Most tracks have flaggers just like at races- yellow flags- blue passing warnings- black flag for being bad....
Passing is always with `wave-by` out the side window from the slower driver- who also has an instructor saying - ok go all the way to the right exiting this corner and point left out the window- you want the faster car to pass on the side you point to. Your instuctor will be saying- OK we are going to stay on the line-
If you are the faster car- you get the wave and as soon as he goes right we stay left and floor it~ nick that cone with the LF tire~ show me you know where the corners and wheels of this car are!

Check it out soon!!!- learn more skills than you can imagine- car control- weight transfer - braking
Most drivers- of all ages and experience levels- come away saying- `I knew nothing about driving`!!

Then you go a few more times and the skills increase each time- you get moved up to the next group (usually 3-4 groups total) which runs faster, and has more allowed passing areas,,,maybe you play lead and follow with the instructor in their own car.
Then up to the advanced group where you can run follow and lead exercise and practice racing type moves if desired with buddies you have made there.

In the advanced groups-everyone has a decent skill level and wont freak out when a Porsche or viper appears suddenly in the mirror- you make a flick of the finger pointing out the window to acknowledge them and that states your intent to stay on `the line` as 4 cars rush past you in a roar about 140 mph- thats 50 mph faster than you and they are still accellerating!!

The TL is pretty quick and will hold its own against some surprising cars- but its not a V12 twin turbo asphalt eating machine

Please everyone- get some advanced driving education- it will save your life and probably several accidents---- when other less skilled drivers display a lack of said skills, like when the semi truck jacks in front of them and suddenly its all over the brakes and you go to evasive turning- throttle throttle throttle, go around them - watch the spinning car - whew~

scca.org and nasaproracing.com are starting points for locating tracks and schools- next, look around at who rents the track by viewing the track website schedule and links and contact them!!
Even clubs like the MINI owners or Z car also welcome other brands - as long as you have a good attitude- thats all that matters- and cash of course

A recent school here at Thunderhill Raceway featured a special group of vintage 70s-80s Nascar that all ran together, other times it was all the Minis ran together-or the Shelby Cobras--- the other run groups were mixed....

Learning car control is cheaper than most accidents..... In my Experience

Hint:
To reduce oversteer- the tendancy of the TL to push outside in the middle of the corner- run the rear tires 2-4 psi less than the fronts
like 36-38 fronts and 34 rear--may even boost your mileage if running 32 now
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
just out of curiosity what is your wheel and tire setup, as well as how many miles on your tire, and check for inner tire wear and all the usual "traction hampering" culprits

ps. how fast were you going?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Team Owner

Note to ALL
Always put the better tires-- I dont care FWD or RWD--- the ones with more/better tread (if there is a differance in wear)- get installed on the REAR

Thats so the back tires maintain their grip in this type situation.
Front end push/washout is one thing- but the back has no driver operated controls to compensate- its just following Mr. Newton.... and his stupid Laws of Applied Physics

I was just talking about this today when I looked at friends car- nope~ leave these tires on the front~
You want the better grip in back so the rear end doesnt try to pass the front- its real important---- as testified to by the OP
Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

i know its all my fault i do have pretty good tires which are bridgestone pole position re960as. They hung with me in worse scenarios when i had the rsb in the track setting... i went and swapped it to street to see how it rides as track was a little to bumpy for me. I was suprised that it actually drove nicer and wanted to see if it still had the good things as before... but i think i hit a little uneven pavement and that trough me off...as i said the curb was not a straight edge curb as i went into the front porch... the rim looks fine not the best but i doesnt look bent up...

ill try taking some pictures today so u guys can see and hopefully help me out.... this really came in a wrong time since i was suppose to drive home on monday...imagine!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

by the way is it possible to claim trough the insurance company...anyhow somehow...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you mean Charlotte, NC then I have just the shop for you.

Collision Specialities in Indian Trail right outside Charlotte.
Mark Mahoney is the owner, he will answer the phone. He specializes in Acura's, the dealers send him all of their work and have for a very long time. Small shop but great work. He has worked on 3 or 4 cars of mine over the years. From basics to custom paint and body.

704-882-1150

Tell him Trevor sent you
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you... Ill call him first thing tomorrow...i just went under the car and couldnt see anything abnormal. The only thing i see is the muffler looking straight instead of being shifted to the side a little bit... and also looking how the front tire came off and the wheel didnt get that much damage im hoping nothing got bent in the front either.

thak you guys for your help this is one great forum...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

If you have full coverage= Liabilty (damage you cause to other person or property/car) thats required everywhere just to drive~-
AND you can get Comprehensive- which covers damage to your car for any reason- parked or moving- glass damage- theft fire etc..

If thats what you, have call your agent, an animal appeared in the road and you went evasive- caught a curb and here is the result!!
Then you pay the deductible- whatever you selected it to be,, 100-250-500 1000$
and the insurance covers the rest. Body shops bill direct to the insurer so you dont have to put out 5 grand and wait for a check in return, just the deductible.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

i do have full coverage. but the thing is when the police came by he made a report on the sign being damaged i dont know what he put in there and what not. would i require a police report to my insurance to make it beliveable....

if i could pull that off that would take so much pressure of me
Old 07-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

What did you tell the Officer happened?
I went in the corner and it just slid out? I was speeding into the corner trying to late brake and nail the apex and....
I dont know what happened!- I was just driving a road I take all the time, and the next thing I knew--- it was going backwards and I was all like !!!!wtf is this!

Your Liabilty insurance covers damage to public -city- property, If you dont file a claim with your agent- the city certainly will!!!
So you take a copy of the Police report (read it for errors) and include with claim form to agent- they can probably get it themself, but to speed the process- ask if you should get it for them.
Takes a few days for it to be ready and then a few dollars to obtain. Call Admin dept of local police for details
The city WILL get that sign fixed, and you get your car fixed
Thats what Insurance is for.

Sometimes animals- children- large debris in the road force you to take evasive action
Thats Life~ or Death sometimes!!!

From the Insurance perspective:
They and You were lucky no other cars were involved- that cuts the accident cost by ten thousand, and it was not a bouncing ball followed by a child running into the street.
Those are bad~
It could have been a choice of the mountain on one side and the cliff on the other- you were lucky to keep it on pavement and not roll down a cliff- need to be rescued and airlifted to the trauma center,,,thats always expensive for your insurer!

Get pics of the scene if possible- maybe there is a new pothole or weird bump in the surface.

Anything to show you were just minding your business and suddenly that 100 year old tree jumped into the road- no,,, wait!!- first The cow RAN into the road- then the tree followed it and I hit the tree dead center on the hood- trying to make it look old school batmobile~

As for tires- I was making a general comment for all-- regarding where the best tires go on the car- the rear
Not a comment towards OP about anything related to this incident,
but
the Officer will have noted the condition of your tires- the road and lighting conditions- anything they think contributed- probably checked to see if you needed a DUI test- ask you questions to test ability to think fast and give the same answer twice...
If you were not cited for reckless or given any sort of ticket- you are ok
Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What setting was your rsb at, track or street?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ifirahse
What setting was your rsb at, track or street?
shoudnt really matter... an RSB will not turn this car into a "track" race car....

shit happens... i drove too fast into a corner, and wrecked my car.. regardless or not that i had brake problems (VSA module/MC), it wouldnt have happened if i was going slow

live and learn, ya know?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

i didnt get any tickets whatsover, the cop was even nice and said hell try to do the best he can in the report so i dont get charged for the sign. We told them that the car lost controll cause of a certain part on the car that went lose... he acted like he belived it but hes not stupid i guess he was just good guy or maybe it was cause he just came back from a place where shots have been fired so my case seemd very unintresting i dont know .... this morning i went to firestone to check my tires since i have a warranty with them and we found out that both front and back wheel is bent but the tires are just fine.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Claim thru insurance regardless what the police report says, you pay full insurance for a reason...

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, luckily there wasn't another car or a pedestrian involved, the fun would of turned into a tragedy fast.

I advise this to everyone, fine you don't want to take any driving courses, forget about them, go find an empty lot or an abandoned area, and do you sharp turns there, just to see how your car behaves, so in the future when you will be responding to an emergency situation you will know what to expect. Learn the physics involved, such as centripetal force when turning, apex, etc...

Keep us updated with the repair cost, and post some pics. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:16 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
shoudnt really matter... an RSB will not turn this car into a "track" race car....
I asked because the street setting is considered the "safer" setting because the track setting supposedly induces oversteer like crazy (i.e. daaaaaangerous fishtail adventures).

I have mine on track 24/7...reading this thread I might change it back to street if his was on track.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

it was on street setting but im pretty sure it would not have been any different other way. i think what also helped was the heavy trunk from the sound system. Rsb is a good thing to a certain point but the problem is it makes u feel way to comfortable and with this car it shouldnt be the case since its not really made for that particular application. And here i am the proof. the biggest probelm is the tease with all this little improvements that make not much difference but make you belive they do and you get so eager to find out, well im one of them and i really feel stupid about it and i should grow up i think.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow. i normally understeer all the time. probably cuz i dont have my RSB installed yet. i live right by north bergen. what type of car do you have exactly? maybe ive seen you around.

but back to the topic, thats costly. im guessing no less than 5000 dollars in repairs, if not more. force your insurance company to cover it. just bullshit or something. but this will effect your insurance rates greatly.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

shit happens... i drove too fast into a corner, and wrecked my car.. regardless or not that i had brake problems (VSA module/MC), it wouldnt have happened if i was going slow

live and learn, ya know?
No matter what brand, make, or model of the car, the stiffer you go on the rear, the more oversteer the car will have. I've been preaching this for months on here. The bar makes it corner flatter, feel more responsive, gives the driver more confidence and when he pushes it, it oversteers and you get what you have here.

It won't turn it into a "track" car but it will destroy the balance and make it an oversteering bitch. I agree stock the car needs just a little more rear bar but not much. A manual bar on an auto version is all it will ever need. Add about the same% to a manual car and you're set.

If you're obsessed with these huge swaybars and giving up the suspension's independance, at least get a bigger front bar too to balance it out.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
it was on street setting but im pretty sure it would not have been any different other way. i think what also helped was the heavy trunk from the sound system. Rsb is a good thing to a certain point but the problem is it makes u feel way to comfortable and with this car it shouldnt be the case since its not really made for that particular application. And here i am the proof. the biggest probelm is the tease with all this little improvements that make not much difference but make you belive they do and you get so eager to find out, well im one of them and i really feel stupid about it and i should grow up i think.
More weight in the rear means the rear slides easier. That along with the bar in the street setting was probably the equivilent of the race setting.

Don't feel stupid about it, take the car out in the middle of nowhere and practice so you don't do it again. I made my mistakes in my first $1,000 car so I was lucky.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Seems like the OP is taking the helpful feedback in a positive manner. So, I wish to add this.

I say it was not entirely his fault. I can sympathize with him. It happened to me too when I was young. I added a stiffer bar to the rear of my '85 IROC-Z Camero, and a few days later found myself fishtailing across the whole freeway doing 80 MPH (after performing an aggressive lane change). It was an experience that I will not forget and don't wish to repeat. BTW, I was able to "save it" (with the help of God).

I agree with what others are saying. Please be aware that a car will become more “tail happy” with a stiffer rear bar. This is why I offered the following advise two months ago regarding stiffer aftermarket rear bars:

"The reason that I wanted to mention this is because I think you should explore how your car handles with the stiff rear bar under this condition (aggressive lane change or turning while braking hard). Better to learn under somewhat controlled conditions while you are expecting it than to get the tail loose when you don't expect it."

I post this to help all readers, not just the OP.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Of course you can get your insurance to pay for it. Think about it! People do stupid things all the time and have collisions with other objects. It doesn't matter why it happened, just that it did happen. You could have been under the influence and they'd still have to pay to fix your car. No where in your policy does it state that if you do something stupid that they won't cover you (with the usual exception of taking the car racing like at a track or autocross.)

Call your insurance company and use that policy that you've been paying for all of these years. Yes, your rates may go up. You'll need to do the math to see what makes financial sense.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

i just came back from the recommended place on here and the guy was very cool and all that but he estimated the cost of $7400. Im pretty sure when look throught it i can take some of that stuff out but not gonna bring it down to much maybe a grand.

just to give u an update as of now