Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The RR Journals: Dealing with annoying buzzes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
The RR Journals: Dealing with annoying buzzes

Gang, let's get real. All cars have odd little noises - you can either deal with them, or have a whine and cheese orgy.

The "rattles" many people report are really buzzes, and I have found several, cheap, easy remedies. See my NVH post. But many of them I have corrected with these felt dots from McMaster-Carr. They have cured the center compartment buzzes, the noisy vanity mirror covers, etc. Unless you really enjoy visiting the dealer and running the risk of having a big grease smear on your leather, you may, like me, prefer the DIY route. No one will take as much care working on my car as....ME!

"Adhesive-Backed Felt Bumpers
Perfect for protecting surfaces from scuffing and scraping. Bumpers are made of a soft, nonabrasive acrylic needled felt. They have an adhesive back for mounting. Adhere bumpers to wood, metal, plastic, and glass surfaces. Bumpers are nonstaining. For indoor use only. Not rated for durometer. Temperature range is -20° to +160° F. To Order: Please specify black, brown, green, or white.

Search on this product name on www.mcmaster.com".

I have a ton of them - send me a SASE and I will send you a bunch. I also use them to keep my remote controls from scratching fine furniture, under my kid's boom box to keep it from buzzing on her bookshelf - lots of things.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm Baaack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rage .. those dots work great if your dog has worms too.. just a couple of dots on the ass and you're golden!!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Racer

The buzzes/rattles I can deal with fine. They do not annoy me to the extent that it drives me crazy. I should point out though that I only have one rattle. The top storage compartment below the radio. It is the vibrations in the driveline that annoys me. At idle, it is minor but I can still feel it coming through the steering column and the shifter. Once I start moving however, it becomes very noticeable. The vibrations actually become stronger as I give it more gas. To the point that I can feel it everytime I depress the clutch pedal to shift. And this is not the 5th gear/low rpm issue because I feel it in all gears throughout the rpm range. Took it to the dealer today and as usual they tell me they couldn't feel anything.

Any thoughts or fixes for this problem RoadRage?

Sorry to get off topic here.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Not a Blowhole

I do not have that at all, other than the usual exhaust resonances.

Some suggestions:

1) Every year, I "true up" the suspension bolts to torque specs. This is SOP for track cars, but I have made it an annual rite of spring on all my cars. The vibration of day to day driving can cause bolts to loosen over time - assuming they were correct from the beginning. Pay partocular attention to the stressed members - the front and rear sub-assemblies, the upper strut bar, etc.

2) Do the "chassis lube" - clean and lube all the accordion boots; spray any rubber (exhaust hangers, bushings, etc) will qualkity silicone spray like 3M.

3) Check all the heat shields to ensure they are tight, and not touching the exhaust, manifolds, etc

4) Check the motor mounts - the TL has active hydraulics, and disconnecting the electrical feed should cause a change in the idle vibrations

5) Tighten the brake components to spec

6) Check the wheels for run-out -ensure wheels are torqued to spec.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

04's have a harmonic vibration that they can not get rid of. Some cars are worse than others. I have a few guesses about were the vibration is coming from but I imagine the Acura engineers have covered the same bases. Meeting with my district rep soon to work out a trade for an 05 since they haven't been able to fix it.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:20 PM
VTEC is happiness

Hey RR-

just to get back to your original post point, I fully agree that DIY is the way to go for the interior buzzing--not only do I take the best care of my TL, but I get a tremendous satisfaction fixing (most of) the problems myself.

So far, I have been able to silence the following:

1) window trim (bilateral), noticeable when the windows were fully closed. Dealer acknowledges problem, and I utilized the excellent thread in 3G garage to fix with some weather stripping.
2) side airbag (again, bilateral). Ditto above.
3) sunshade striking the light above, used small clear rubber bumper.
4) both of my sunglass holders became quite loose, and a combination of felt and plastic has silenced these (see previous post).

the dealer (Acura of Auburn, MA) fixed an annoying moonroof shade noise while they had the car for some exterior trim work. Also, they silenced my noisy center console lid for me. Excellent work, fortunately no greasy thumbprints!

I have so far been fortunate enough that all my problems have been small and easily reparable. I even have the stock EL42s, and they are fine for now, shocking as that may sound to some. Otherwise, a fine automobile with excellent driving dynamics that bring a smile to my face every time I turn the key.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Not a Blowhole

Bonedocs are proficient in fixing things! I agree with everything you posted - even my EL42's are fine, other than a bit of flatspotting after they have sat for a few days - this goes away after a few "serpentine" steering manuevers.

I would be very interested in willz' trade - I wonder if the 2005 will do away with all his concerns or just trade one set for another? I hope for his sake it works out. I am just having a hard time understanding how some cars are Yugo-esque, others are like bank vaults.