Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Rotors

I was shopping around to find out what rotors I should get, wanted to get a little feed back.
Was thinkin about some cross drilled slotted.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...em320225777379
Wanted to get some feed back about EBAY rotors, they look like good ones (i like the idea of cyro treated rotors) and their at a good price.
If they are a bad idea, what would be the next best?
Pads to compliment (dont really want the OEM brembos cuz of dust and cost)
Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmmmmm

i will go to the Sponsor Section of the black market where our prefer vendor sells such as Rotora, etc...
Old 03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The ROTORA rotors are a great OE replacement rotor that, coupled with a good brake pad, will improve braking and brake life.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-slotted-drilled-slotted-rotors-special-cl-tl-tsx-324531/

PM me with your vehicle info for a quote.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the problem with some aftermarket no name rotors that have been cross-drilled,
is that the designer never intended for that to be done.
Most of the original is done on CAD computer design and drafting technology.

with unknowns:
Someone rents a CNC cutting machine and buys a bunch of rotor blanks. It may be the best stuff available? who really knows until they will tell you about the rotors maker.
Rotors designed to be cross-drilled have reinforcements built into the inner ribs to keep the strength up.
Its similar to making a convertable top car out of your TL, it would sag in the middle without extra bracing built in to it.
Slotted rotors- the cuts in the sides, really help if you drive ~spirited~ or in a lot of speed and stop freeway traffic.
Cross-drilled if you want bling or autocross race where quick cooling is required.
I hear they are really good in the rain too, but have no personal experience with that.

You can buy good name brand plain rotors with great pads and have less dust and more stopping power than stock.
Side Note: Wax the rims inside and outer side- anywhere you can apply synthetic car wax to- do it. Carnuba has low melt point so thats a waste of your time.
Synthetic will keep most of the dirt and dust to a minimum.
Brake dust is a byproduct of braking. Friction-to heat-sheds microscopic red hot particles of brake pad that adhere to the rim, then dust and dirt from the road get stuck to it.
Your budget and driving style will determine the best combo for you.
Our sponsoring vendors like Excelerate and MrHeelToe can answer your needs with the right part
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
brembo makes rotors... did you know that? http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1478/3983/
pads... hawk's or ebc are the best (they have low dust compounds)
Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Instructor

When I add them to the cart, it never asks if i need front, rear, right left? How do i know what i am getting? or for $240 do I get all 4?

Do they make a performance brake pad for our car as well that would have less dust?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Yes I know that Brembo makes cross-drilled rotors, and as I just said- makers that PLAN to do that - make it a part of the CAD design and manufacture process.
Aftermarket ones- with unknown supplier and unknown craftsman--those would concern me. There are plenty of pics of stress cracks at the holes- just look on here or the internet for them.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Nova_GTS
When I add them to the cart, it never asks if i need front, rear, right left? How do i know what i am getting? or for $240 do I get all 4?

Do they make a performance brake pad for our car as well that would have less dust?
They are a set, Left & Right Front directional replacement rotors, The rear brakes are not Brembo.

BTW I believe they are only slotted & not drilled as in the picture. "Only" is a bad word choice since I don't believe in drilled rotors for modern brake pad compounds.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
For that price (item plus outrageous shipping) I can get rotors from a site vendor and have some confidence that I am getting a very good product.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

do a gen2 search for Ebay rotor check in
there are post by members that were happy for a year then discovered serious cracks forming from the holes- thats an immediate replacement situation IMO-
the rotor could crack thru and break- I have seen it happen in the old days.
I will stick with slotted sides, and thats all I need-
maybe some cryo treated next time, but its hard to find `good ones` with that treatment for the TL, not many honda's need ultimate braking, so makers spend thier time on cars like Vettes and Vipers
Old 03-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Bear: read the ad closely- they are drilled and slotted- checking the companies website thats all they offer for us-
The video clip from Discovery channel is interesting, I may get a set of these just to try against my current setup
Sending them an email to confirm exact details of the 30 day money back policy, one part says if not satisfied, another says if does not fit~ and must be returned unused.
Well I certainly intend to use my brakes to test them....
Old 03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Bear: read the ad closely- they are drilled and slotted- checking the companies website thats all they offer for us-
The video clip from Discovery channel is interesting, I may get a set of these just to try against my current setup
Sending them an email to confirm exact details of the 30 day money back policy, one part says if not satisfied, another says if does not fit~ and must be returned unused.
Well I certainly intend to use my brakes to test them....
The picture is drilled but these are the words - They even say why you don't need drilled:

Brembo Rotors - Slotted 45836 2004 - 2007 Acura, TL, Type S $237.15

Description

Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are for drivers who want to improve the looks and performance of their vehicles original braking system without having to change additional brake components. Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors provide excellent stopping power in everyday traffic, as well as high performance street and track driving.

Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors match the vehicles original equipment rotors dimensions and are fully compatible with its hubs, brake calipers and road wheels. Front and rear Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are available to provide a matched appearance on all four corners of the vehicle, and employ one-piece vented or solid rotors depending on the vehicles original equipment specifications.

Starting with select castings, Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors undergo the race-born practice of machining multiple shallow slots into the discs front and rear surfaces to provide paths to disperse built-up heat and gasses, and assist in refreshing the surface of the brake pads.

Compared to cross-drilled rotors, machined slots have been widely adopted for racing and street use because they minimize the cracking caused by repeated, high stress, high temperature brake applications. The slots are angled to use the rotors direction of rotation to enhance their performance, which makes the rotors side-specific with left and right side rotors. Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first.

Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are coated for corrosion resistance to help eliminate rust and offer a bold, aggressive appearance to enhance the look of the vehicles road wheels.

Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are designed to meet the challenges of high performance street driving while adding an authentic, race-ready look.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

I was referring to the ebay arotors - my bad -confused
Old 03-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

If you go to the company profile on the bay rotors, there is a 6 minute video from Discovery channel- about cryo and how it works- what it does.
I found it educational, had heard some things of cyro engine parts, but never saw how they did it.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Instructor

So I am still not sure 01tl04, are you now saying that they may actually be decent rotors and I should try them out? or just stick with the Brembos?

http://www.autocarparts.com/c_Acura_...tors_m_Brembo/
if you look there for the 03 TL it specifies that they are the front pair, but for the 04 it does not specify, it also does not make it clear whether or not they are designed for the Brembo calipers...
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nova_GTS
So I am still not sure 01tl04, are you now saying that they may actually be decent rotors and I should try them out? or just stick with the Brembos?

http://www.autocarparts.com/c_Acura_...tors_m_Brembo/
if you look there for the 03 TL it specifies that they are the front pair, but for the 04 it does not specify, it also does not make it clear whether or not they are designed for the Brembo calipers...
The Brembo rotors (Plain, Slotted, Drilled) are available for both stock AT calipers & Brembo 6MT calipers so you need to check to get the right part number for your application.

As I said before, I would be very careful with any drilled rotor since even Brembo in their literature says "The Brembo Sport rotors cross-drilled holes are bi-angle chamfered at the rotors outer surfaces to help reduce the cracking caused by repeated, high stress, high temperature brake applications."

The operative words are "HELP REDUCE".

The truth of the matter is the plain Brembos' are more then good enough for street applications on the TL/TL-S any others, slotted, drilled, etc are just for the bling factor.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

the brembo rotors on the bay ad we are talking about: specifies for Brembo equipped cars and a different listing for the non brembo cars
I didnt look at too many of the others besides for my 01TL
They also sell front or rear sets seperate- but not single rotors.

Normally the bay stuff scares me, but I am putting a phone call to the place tomorrow and see how they answer some questions. If they check out, I am thinking of getting a set for my own car to test them out. Their bay feedback did not include any rotors, but their website shows a warehouse full of rotors and a cryo machine in the shop. Its a 24 hour process to do, so if they have to treat certain less popular models as they are ordered- it could take 2 days before they ship.
Being in Ca, I could go to the shop and do a brake job in the parking lot, do they fit perfect, do they have any issues etc.
So I cant say yes or no to these particular rotors yet.
If in doubt, get the rotoras and know they a qualty unit.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

copy the part number from that site I linked and call up other suppliers... or order by phone... sorry I just searched via part # and linked
Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Alright 01tl, Let me know your findings, I'll wait a day or 2 b4 I make any decision as which to get
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Im sorry ill just have to say stick to the stockies unless its A/T then id upgrade. other than that ill have to deal with the brembo dust because they stop the way they're supposed to.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Installed some this weekend

I just installed some slotted and cross drilled this weekend. They came from Quick Stop Pro on ebay. He has 946 sales and all positive.
The rotors look great and work great. I have a 04 Auto.

P.S. I bought 4 Rotors (front and rear) for $220, $60 shipping (the box weighs 54lbs). And yes, I installed them myself.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I used to own a

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
I just installed some slotted and cross drilled this weekend. They came from Quick Stop Pro on ebay. He has 946 sales and all positive.
The rotors look great and work great. I have a 04 Auto.

P.S. I bought 4 Rotors (front and rear) for $220, $60 shipping (the box weighs 54lbs). And yes, I installed them myself.

Well, I would like to see some pictures of your handy work!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Ak Ting Up

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v443/vickh/?action=view&current=SlottedandCrossDrilled001.jpg]

Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Ak Ting Up

Old 03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AcuraVic, those slotted and drilled rotors look nice. And at a good price. I was thinking of the slotted Rotoras from Excelerate but maybe now I'll get the combo rotors.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

cross drilled will create more noise and the other issues with them as discussed a hundred times already.
Its going to depend on what blanks they use and how its done.
On bay feedback- you need to find your exact car part...- not just, fast shipping great part- and its for a corvette distributor cap
Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Any rotor that has been drilled, regaurdless of how it was manufactured, is weakened. But the chances of it cracking is very minute. The owner of our company worked for Brembo for 5 years, and they farmed out there rotors to different machining companies to have them drilled. If you are apposed to the drilled rotors, we can make you a slotted only set but we have none in stock.
That is the response that I got from them, 01TL said he will try to contact them tomorrow.
If Drilled are not sounding like they are safe from him at this point I may try to get the Slotted ones custom made!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraVic

AcuraVic - could us the link where you got these rotors? , thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Ak Ting Up

My rotors were $287.00 (buy it now). That is for two front and two rear.
I bid $220 and he excepted. Here is the link to the store.

http://stores.ebay.com/quickstop-pro

I got the rotors for show. They may perform better, but for now they are performing like a new set of regular rotors and new brake pads. Also, my Mercedes mechanic (who is also a certified Lamborghini mechanic with 35 years experience) told me to get OE type pads. I was going for the ceramic and he said they are two hard for the slotted and cross drilled rotors.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I dunno guys... I wouldn't get ebay non name rotors...

these are the one's i was reffering to... I forgot I had made a thread about these
Originally Posted by illstrategy
My girl surprised the shit out of me when she pulled this box out from under the tree.
I'm happy to say i'm the first with the Brembo slotted rotors for my 2007 TL-S 6speed M/T
Here are some pics.... enjoy
What do you guys think....
Stay slotted or go drilled?

Thanks to my boy StiLL HeRe 153, we double checked and checked again to make sure these fit.