Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which rotora setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
which rotora setup

Im looking to get some new rotors and pads this week or so... and i decided to go with excelerate...he has a sale going on by the way

Im just not sure which one i should pick the slotted or Drilled and slotted. Im sure drilled will look better but i always heard slotted only is better and their a little cheaper as well

what should i do???
Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have drilled/slotted, get compliments all the time.
As for the drilled issue, i highly doubt you push your car that hard to have them crack.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
Im looking to get some new rotors and pads this week or so... and i decided to go with excelerate...he has a sale going on by the way

Im just not sure which one i should pick the slotted or Drilled and slotted. Im sure drilled will look better but i always heard slotted only is better and their a little cheaper as well

what should i do???
There's not a huge difference. Rotora is a great quality brand. I'm assuming you're talking about stock sized Rotoras?

Slotted will keep a nice fresh surface on the pads and keep them from glazing as will drilled. Drilled to offer an advantage in this departement to my surprise.

From a performance standpoint drilled do offer a slight performance advantage under most conditions. I've purchased white papers on this and the research was interesting to say the least. Drilled rotors ran cooler than non drilled rotors at almost every speed and the difference became larger as vehicle speed went up. Drilled rotors cooled off quicker in between brake applications. Drilled rotors depend on airflow which is why they shine at high speed and removing the front dust shields make a dramatic difference in rotor temps.

The study showed pad wear to be about the same between drilled and slotted under normal to hot conditions but as temps got into the range seen only under track conditions, the drilled rotors wore the pads quite a bit quicker but maintained a better working surface on the pads.

They measured pedal effort at different temperatures. During normal driving and normal temperatures, the blank rotors required slightly less pedal effort. However, the drilled rotor's pedal effort was almost unchanged from 100 degrees all the way to 1,000 degrees which is a very good thing. The brake pedal will feel the same from cold to super hot. You won't have to apply more pedal pressure as they heat up.

I have much more info on this if anyone is interested. I can't post the paper and I can't give hard numbers but I can write a summary in more detail.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
slots help aggressive drivers against pad out-gassing issues
crossdrilled has the points mentioned above- in a quality product like rotora I would not be afraid of the drilling itself~
BUT
all those holes make a noise as they go past the pads when not in use, the pads ride about 1mm away from rotor normally, and more noise will occur when brake pressure is applied

For certain things like living on a mountain or autocross racer- then crossdrill yes
but for most drivers, plain face or slotted is all you will ever need
I prefer semi met pads over ceramics for pure stopping power,,
ceramics are about being quiet- which you gave up caring about with those holes~~
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
and what hate cars said about the pad wear and drilled holes is correct-
each of those holes have an edge that also takes micro amount of pad with it each time it passes with brakes applied, more pad wear with extreme braking

the side slots do same thing but its a lot less material being removed overall