rotax kevlars gold...where to get them ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007 | 06:55 AM
Drifting

rotax kevlars gold...where to get them ?

I need brake pads for my 04 6 speed and my dealer believe it or not charges 300.00 for brembo pads. Needless to say I am taking it elsewhere and I want to get something other than brembos--they produce a ridiculous amount of dust.
Ive hears the rotax kevlars are good but the dont show up on their website for an 04tl. Ive googled to no avail. Anyone ?
Old 03-31-2007 | 08:13 AM
Registered Member

I installed Rotex Gold Kevlars on my '04 manual TL last spring. I got them at either brakeworld.com or brakewarehouse.com (don't recall which). Here are the part numbers which appear on the box end;

DA049D
7952-D1049M

Here are the results. My only reason for changing out the stock pads was the dusting factor. I did the change at 25,000 miles and my stock pads still have a lot have a lot of meat left.. maybe another 25 - 30,000 miles in them. Anyway, the dusting dropped around 80-90%. I also have an '05 automatic TL and my '04 now dust just SLIGHTLY more than that one. As for braking efficiency and feel? The are fine pads and will handle anything the street will through at you. If you are a very aggressive driver or compete in autocross or race on the track, stay with the stock pads.. they are a little better. The Rotex pads have a different braking feel. You will feel more immediate resistance than with the stock pads which tend to have a slight bit of sponginess to them at contact. In a word, I am very pleased with these pads and not a bit sorry I made the change (again, the dusting factor with me).

Bedding them in. If you are not installing new rotors at the same time as the pads, carefully check your rotors for any marring. Use a fingernail and check for any signs of grooving. They should be smooth (of course there will be microscopic grooving). If so, you must bed your Rotex pads in properly (I did several writeups describing how I went about doing this so do a search). In a word, you will need to make a series of 8-10 hard brakings from 60 to 10 MPH, just this side of ABS onset. Do these one after another, then drive the car normally at speed for about 15 minutes to cool the brakes. DO NOT use them during the cooling cycle. You may need to repeat these steps once or twice more (I had to do it three times). The reason for this is to "gas out" the pads and to deposit pad material on the rotors in order to eliminate squealing. Mine squeal in reverse, but not in forward motion.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you would like more info.
Old 03-31-2007 | 09:56 AM
Drifting

thanks

thanks SB---I am not instaling them myself. I am going to have the honda dealer perform the job. They are much cheaper labor wise than acura. I am assuming they know how to do everything you mentioned. I hate the dusting as well and this car is just a commuter car with some occasional hard driving. Do I need anything else other than the shoes themselves ? I am assuming the stock calipers will be fine.
Old 03-31-2007 | 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SilverJ
thanks SB---I am not instaling them myself. I am going to have the honda dealer perform the job. They are much cheaper labor wise than acura. I am assuming they know how to do everything you mentioned. I hate the dusting as well and this car is just a commuter car with some occasional hard driving. Do I need anything else other than the shoes themselves ? I am assuming the stock calipers will be fine.
I would think everything else is good to go. The fact that you're having a Honda shop do the work means that, if they're any good, they'll check things to make sure all is well or if not, they'll recommend that work is needed.

I doubt that they'll bed them in. Most likely, they'll turn the rotors as a matter of normal brake work. If you experience any squealing after the install, give it a few days of careful driving, then if the squealing doesn't go away, consider the bedding in process. There is some very good info on the web about this as well.
Old 03-31-2007 | 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Hawk brake pads MAY have some for the 6MT- www.hawkperformance.com

pepboys usually stocks hawk HPS High Performance Street pads- and if not at that store, will have them in a day for you

You all know the problem of getting new aftermarket rotors for the MT gen 3s

Soon- everyone hopes-soon