Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roof (headliner) rattle??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roof (headliner) rattle??

yep i got a roof rattle i think...every time i go over a bump i can hear something rattling and i think its coming from the roof.
i pressed against the roof and what did i notice? "cheapness"
the roof carpeting (i guess its called headliner?) rattle if i press against it.
it seems like its coming from behind the sunroof after the area where the sunroof slider goes in.

how can i fix this? its really annoying and its pissing me off
44k car and a cheapass headliner!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:38 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
take it to ur dealer and show it to them.... test drive it with them or something.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:49 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: roof (headliner) rattle??

Originally posted by ravi
yep i got a roof rattle i think...every time i go over a bump i can hear something rattling and i think its coming from the roof.
i pressed against the roof and what did i notice? "cheapness"
the roof carpeting (i guess its called headliner?) rattle if i press against it.
it seems like its coming from behind the sunroof after the area where the sunroof slider goes in.

how can i fix this? its really annoying and its pissing me off
44k car and a cheapass headliner!!!
Due to the dealer normally making a mess of things I also tend to tackle rattles myself - given the severity of the job and how much time I want to contribute.... Thus, last night I was performing some diagnostic exploration on "my" (like yours) headliner rattle/squeak issue. I wouldn't say the headliner is cheap, but rather what "I believe" is causing the crunching/rattle noise is the smooth plastic backing on the headliner. The smooth backing squeaks on the painted metal surface of the roof/sunroof structure. Literally, the sound you hear when pushing on the headliner is the headliner backing making contact with the painted surface. Any bump/body flex etc. will cause the sound... Like you mentioned, the rattle / crunching noise is isolated to the forward section of the headliner, between sunroof and windshield - all the way across. My plan is to remove the grab handles above both front doors, sun visors, and center light/switch console so I can lower the entire front section of the headliner (all of which is very easy). I will then install a very thin felt fabric over the entire section to keep the headliner backing from contacting the painted inner roof structure. At the same time I will ensure no other wire harnesses etc are causing any rattles. I'm positive that will kill all of my concerns "up there". Then off to the next rattle/buzzing location....
I wouldn't even speculate how many trips to the dealer it would take for them to come up with a proper fix, not to mention ruining the headliner and half the interior doing so...

Probably be this weekend before I take the time. I’ll post my results.

Smitty
Old 03-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: roof (headliner) rattle??

Originally posted by KJSmitty
Due to the dealer normally making a mess of things I also tend to tackle rattles myself - given the severity of the job and how much time I want to contribute.... Thus, last night I was performing some diagnostic exploration on "my" (like yours) headliner rattle/squeak issue. I wouldn't say the headliner is cheap, but rather what "I believe" is causing the crunching/rattle noise is the smooth plastic backing on the headliner. The smooth backing squeaks on the painted metal surface of the roof/sunroof structure. Literally, the sound you hear when pushing on the headliner is the headliner backing making contact with the painted surface. Any bump/body flex etc. will cause the sound... Like you mentioned, the rattle / crunching noise is isolated to the forward section of the headliner, between sunroof and windshield - all the way across. My plan is to remove the grab handles above both front doors, sun visors, and center light/switch console so I can lower the entire front section of the headliner (all of which is very easy). I will then install a very thin felt fabric over the entire section to keep the headliner backing from contacting the painted inner roof structure. At the same time I will ensure no other wire harnesses etc are causing any rattles. I'm positive that will kill all of my concerns "up there". Then off to the next rattle/buzzing location....
I wouldn't even speculate how many trips to the dealer it would take for them to come up with a proper fix, not to mention ruining the headliner and half the interior doing so...

Probably be this weekend before I take the time. I’ll post my results.

Smitty
Have you attempted this "felt" fix yet on the headliner?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had this problem. Have the dealer check the clips on the rear portion of the moonroof that attach the "headliner" ....

This rattle will happen more if the moonroof is open rather than closed.