3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Requested that dealer NOT wash my car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requested that dealer NOT wash my car...

...and what did they do? They ran my beautiful car through the car wash because he said that they accidentally spilled some fluid on it! I would rather have preferred a hand wash instead of all of those "brushes" up against my car!!!! UGH...I bit my lip paid my bill and went home.

What would you guys have done?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:37 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
personally i would have done the same thing but would have added "next time dont wash or spill crap on my car!"
Old 10-28-2006, 08:17 AM
EBAYGEEK

I do reg Car wash on my car, i dont see the differance
Old 10-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Dealers keep us detailers in business.. keep up the good work .. I have seen more cars marred all to rat sh!t from the $8/hr wash bay boys and thier long handled brushes ... You guys with the white/silver cars arent noticing it .. th edark blue .. blacks will see it in the first sunlight unless you have done the same and marred it already ...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TL2005Lover
...and what did they do? They ran my beautiful car through the car wash because he said that they accidentally spilled some fluid on it! I would rather have preferred a hand wash instead of all of those "brushes" up against my car!!!! UGH...I bit my lip paid my bill and went home.

What would I have done? You mean, after screaming?

First thing I'd wanna know is what was the "fluid"?! (As posted elsewhere on this forum, I"m psychotic about what touches my paint.) If it's any kind of solvent, chances are it removed the wax where it hit.

It's probably worth asking for a serious hand detailing. (I would ask, but assume they'll say no.) Whatever happens on that, I'd hand-wash that section of the bodywork, glaze it, then wax it.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Unregistered User

I always tell them the same, and they always wash it. They even sprayed something on my tires that had them splattered brown for a few months. I was pissed. Next time, hang a large note on the rear-view mirror saying not to wash it under any circumstances and make sure the service writer puts it on the work order as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

When I bring my car to the dealer I make sure my cars are washed before I bring it in. That way they won't waste their time washing a car that is already clean.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Dealers keep us detailers in business.. keep up the good work .. I have seen more cars marred all to rat sh!t from the $8/hr wash bay boys and thier long handled brushes ... You guys with the white/silver cars arent noticing it .. th edark blue .. blacks will see it in the first sunlight unless you have done the same and marred it already ...

My dealer does a great job
Old 10-28-2006, 12:44 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I had a 05 NBP, when I took it in for the 1st serivce I told both the person I made the appointment with and the service not to wash. Well they washed it, they also had a rock in the drying cloth they used. Scratches everywhere that guy used it. I took it back, they kept it and buffed out the scratch which was great except they wrecked my car. The front bumper had to be replaced.

At that time I traded it in for a 06 ASM. I wonder if the person who got my 05 was told they replaced the bumper. I don't think they did. It sat on their lot for at least 2 months.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:51 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TL2005Lover

I feel your pain man. But if they spilled something it is better they washed it. You can rectify it with buffer and polish later.

I learnt the lesson hard way too. Before I bring my car in dealership, I put a big note on my Nav screen which reads "DO NOT WASH, VACUMME ONLY". You never know if the shop people read the work order notes written by service rep.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lyk3n0other8
If you do not see the diff. you are better off. Once you get into keeping your paint quality in prestine condition, you'll know what the diff is.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by lyk3n0other8
Then it must not be NBP or ABP (darker colors)...you'd see all the small scratches right away.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dealership has this in my file and they still try to wash it everytime. The last time they washed it I said thats it, everytime you guys wash my car I have to clay and wax all over. So what did the manager do? He bought me a new bar of clay and a bottle of zaino that was given to me on my return visit.......it was a very plesant suprise. But what happened? I saw them try to pull my baby in to clean it and I had to run out and catch them before they started........they never learn
Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Most, but not all, dealership personnel only car about getting their next paycheck. Some of the drivers and wash personnel are stoned. They don't care.

When I ordered my NBP (black) TL, I wrote in BIG BLACK LETTERS across the order, DO NOT DETAIL. DO NOT REMOVE PLASTIC SHEETS. I didn't want those ham-fisted gorillas washing my new TL with long-handled brushes.

When my ordered car came in, they called and arranged for delivery the next day. When I got there, the car was detailed. They run every car through a auto car wash with brushes to cool the metal before peeling off the plastic protective sheets.

I was pissed. I said "That's not my car."

The salesperson checked the stock number and said "Yes. This is yours."

I rejected it flatly. I told them to read the order again and to re-order my car. They did. When the next one came in, they listened to me. I took in a lamb's wool mit and said, you can wash my car with this only, while I watch. NO BRUSHES, NO MACHINES.

Then, I spent ten hours the next day detailing my car in MY garage. That is the last time the dealer saw my car for 2 1/2 years. I only returned once because I had a flat tire near there.

I am the only one that washes my car. When I am on the road, I carry my cleaning supplies and will use a DIY car wash just for their water. I don't use their soaps/chemicals- just the water and pressure wand.

Consequently, I have no swirls or scratches and that's not easy with a black car.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Without a garage

I recently bought a NBP TL and I had no idea how much of a bitch the upkeep would be. I went out and bought a new microfiber mitt, 24 costco pack of microfiber towels, and I already had a big bottle of Meguiars Gold Class soap. I used to take my Accord to the automated car washes when I was feeling lazy, but I didn't really care because the paint was already shot, plus it wasn't black!

My TL will never see anything but my hand washing at home.

Anyways, the paint was not in great condition when I took delivery. I had it detailed the next week, but when the sun hits it I still see swirls. I wish I felt more comfortable to do it myself, but I don't with this color.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Most, but not all, dealership personnel only car about getting their next paycheck. Some of the drivers and wash personnel are stoned. They don't care.

When I ordered my NBP (black) TL, I wrote in BIG BLACK LETTERS across the order, DO NOT DETAIL. DO NOT REMOVE PLASTIC SHEETS. I didn't want those ham-fisted gorillas washing my new TL with long-handled brushes.

When my ordered car came in, they called and arranged for delivery the next day. When I got there, the car was detailed. They run every car through a auto car wash with brushes to cool the metal before peeling off the plastic protective sheets.

I was pissed. I said "That's not my car."

The salesperson checked the stock number and said "Yes. This is yours."

I rejected it flatly. I told them to read the order again and to re-order my car. They did. When the next one came in, they listened to me. I took in a lamb's wool mit and said, you can wash my car with this only, while I watch. NO BRUSHES, NO MACHINES.

Then, I spent ten hours the next day detailing my car in MY garage. That is the last time the dealer saw my car for 2 1/2 years. I only returned once because I had a flat tire near there.

I am the only one that washes my car. When I am on the road, I carry my cleaning supplies and will use a DIY car wash just for their water. I don't use their soaps/chemicals- just the water and pressure wand.

Consequently, I have no swirls or scratches and that's not easy with a black car.

Your car must look incredible!!!

There's a guy that comes by my work once a week and I have him wash my car. He does a pretty good job and while he's not as thorough or careful as I am... he does hand wash and is centaily much better than the dealer or a machine.

XPDITOR... I'm curious... what dealer. (I'm in Ft. Lauderdale as well).
Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FLBusa
Your car must look incredible!!!

There's a guy that comes by my work once a week and I have him wash my car. He does a pretty good job and while he's not as thorough or careful as I am... he does hand wash and is centaily much better than the dealer or a machine.

XPDITOR... I'm curious... what dealer. (I'm in Ft. Lauderdale as well).
Rick Case in Plantation. But, near as I can tell, they're all about the same.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

My dad bought a CPO RL from there a few years ago. The following Father's Day, I detailed it for him. (He left me the car for the weekend, and I worked 6 - 8 hours both days.)

I did major work on the exterior (wash, clay, polish [3m Imperial Hand Glaze], wax [zymol Carbon]; wheel cleaner, too); Lexol and Vinylex on just about everything inside, except windows [Wurth's glass cleaner for that] and carpet [Eimann-Fabrik cleaner]). I even used about half a can of Wurth's Rubber Cleaner under the hood. He was beside himself when he came home and saw the car. He said it was better than when he got it. He even made his friends look under the hood when he got home.

Their detailing work may be less than stellar. (Of course, I'm psychotic about it when I'm doing serious work.) BUT, they have taken good care of my dad and his car, so I guess they're a good outfit.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
my car was in for tranny replacment and when i went to pick it up o was told i couldnt take it home becouse they had been spraypainting near the lot where they parked my car and the wind carried it and it got on alomost EVERY F****** CAR IN THE LOT!!!!!! so the detailed it for free. well thats what they called it, it was more like smear the paint till it looks gone enogh. so i bitch and bitched and bitched and said screw it and had it profestionaly detailed and removed. assholes cant do anything right.