Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Upgraded Air Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Forever Young

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Upgraded Air Cabin Filter

As you know I received our new TL Friday and I am trying to install all the "toys". I need help regarding the near Hepa/Carbon upgraded filter that JetJoc informed us about. I printed the instructions on how to rremove the Glove Box and no problem.

HOWEVER, the instructions do not include how to remove the GLOVE BOX "HUSH" PANEL LINER! I removed the lower bolts and the upper push/pull plastic retainers (2)(You push in the middle of the round retainer and it releases the retainer).

Sooo, please dear moderator, JetJoc, or anyone else, WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR GETTING THE LINER BOX PANEL WITHOUT BREAKING IT??? Thank you in advance for your help and I find our website club membership to be the best I have seen for any make or model vehicle.

I will wait for your help and then procede and then I promise to give the added instructions to make it easier for all of our members to change the filter, upgraded or OEM.

PS Like Honda cars, they should have these instructions in the car owners manual. I guess they want to make more money on service on these babies.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Licking Platters Clean

I'm sure someone will be able to help with this, although I've never done it. You should take some pics while you're in there so we can have this added to the 3G garage.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would this help? Someone posted a couple of pages from the service manual on how to remove the glove box.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83788
Old 01-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Novice
Would this help? Someone posted a couple of pages from the service manual on how to remove the glove box.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83788
Good find. I was getting ready to post that link but it needed some fixing and I just inserted the scan that you can now see there, and rets rehosted the remainder of the pictures so they show up also.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Upload again...

Yes, StuartHDuzan, please make this thread into teh detailed DIY thread. Then, we will GARAGE it. Thanks.

Thanks everyone above this reply. You guys make this forum better and better...

Another thread about "filter"... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87494
Old 01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw where did you get the filter you mentioned?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Forever Young

Install of Upgraded Cabin Filter & Part Number

Brand: ATP "Interior Ventilation Filter"; part number HA-5 JetJoc had a website that allows you to find which local parts store in your local has it. I believe I emailed the company and they told me where to go (no pun intended).

Also "Clean 'N Coat by ATP. A spray that you spray the evaporator case to clean the cooling coil and then coat it. The coating repels water for up to 1 year. No moisture buildup......NO SMELL. Outstanding product for cars that we have all had that gets that stale smell. I have not had that problem with our 2002 Civic EX and I have not heard any complaint by our member on the TL. So I did not spray it. But I thought it would help some of our other cars.

I think the world of Road Rage, but I must tell him that changing the cabin filter IS A BIG DEAL, but it shouldn't have to be. They did not make it easy on the TL. The Civic is a lot easier.

Also I want to inform KOSH2258 on message dated 07/19/04, was the closest but not quite a cigar on how to properly change the filter. There are not 10 spring clips. Ther are four on the top, spaced evenly; two on the left (next to sound system side). None on the bottom. Maybe he was referring to a different generation Acura. So that makes 6 clips. The problem is that the factory did not put some silicone grease upon building the car on the clips. So as careful as one can be, you might end up breaking one of the pegs that holds a clip (yep, I did); and also I broke one of the non spring pegs on the right side by the passenger door.

The car has 10 miles on it. I could have the dealer replace the "glove box housing", however, I plan to use an appropriate glue to bond the clip holder that broke off perfectly from the base. They should have used a different means of securing the liner being that it will be removed time and time again. Only God knows what a novice to mechanics would break. However, it is not brain surgery.

So my recommendation is to as carefully as possible pull from the top first and then the bottom or visa versa. You can't really pull from the sides. I tried. The main thing is to put silicone grease on the pegs and the six spring clips. Once this is done, I am led to believe you won't have to worry about breaking something.

If you do and you want to cover it under warranty here are the Acura part numbers for the Glove Box Housing replacement: #77500-SEP-A010 (I am assuming that 2004 uses the same part number). Also you have to specify the color as follows: NH 167L = Black; NH 528L = Grey (Quartz); YR 167L = Brown; YR 240L = Light Brown (I presume this is for Parchment Interiors).

I do not have a digital camera, otherwise I would have taken some pics. I could have used the RAZR V3 phone to take the picture, however they do not arrive until tomorrow. And I won't know how to use it for a while.

JetJoc gets the credit for the filter find. He says you will never smell stinky cars/trucks every again. I hope he is right. Because this was no fun being the beta installer. The problem with allowing someone else install is you don't know if they break a peg or clip holder. They just shove it together...and well you know the rest of the story.

Ron, our loyal moderator, if you can find in the shop manual page that lays out how to remove the glove box housing (it might be page 20-84 or 21-73 perhaps) without breaking anything. I tried to do it carefully but it did not help.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
I added page 20-84 to this thread, already referenced above, so the pictures are all in the same place.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Enthusiastic Newbie

Stuart - I'm an A'head Lakes resident and have about 5200 miles on my '05. I love it.

What is this filter and where can I buy one? I'm a freak about air pollution and pollen, especially since moving to the Valley.

Thanks,

David
05 WDP AT NAVI
Old 01-31-2005, 06:29 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Also I want to inform KOSH2258 on message dated 07/19/04, was the closest but not quite a cigar on how to properly change the filter. There are not 10 spring clips. Ther are four on the top, spaced evenly; two on the left (next to sound system side). None on the bottom. Maybe he was referring to a different generation Acura. So that makes 6 clips. The problem is that the factory did not put some silicone grease upon building the car on the clips. So as careful as one can be, you might end up breaking one of the pegs that holds a clip (yep, I did); and also I broke one of the non spring pegs on the right side by the passenger door.
Page 20-84, 2004 TL factory manual where it shows 10 clips are used.

It wouldn't be the first time a manual and reality don't agree, that's why suppliments and updates are issued to dealers for the factory manuals.

Putting grease on a friction clip would tend to defeat the purpose of the fastener.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Drifting

Stuart...I hope I didn't raise the bar too high with the carbon filter. It's a pretty good filter and does a much better job keeping fumes and other noxious odors from getting inside the cabin, but if you're behind a huge bus and don't have the A/C set to recirculate, no filter is going to remove ALL of the stink from a diesel bus. Trucks are a little better since they have their exhaust stack higher...those city buses having their exhaust located almost in your face are pretty tough to deal with. I had my stock air filter in the car for a month before I switched over to the carbon filter so I did notice a big improvment but it's not going to be like being in a silicon valley "clean room".....lol!! Good luck with your new car.

For those interested in the filter Stuart mentioned they are made by "atp." Their address is: 5940 Oakton St., Morton Grove IL 60053 847 967-6790. www.atp-inc.com
Old 02-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Forever Young

Air Cabin Filter Change - Update

Thank you JetJock for the reminder of the website for the upgraded filter. I emailed them and they will give one the auto parts stores that can order/get the filter. It so happened that one of my parts stores was one of the dealers.

I agree that the silicone grease reduces the friction clips capability. However, that is what a person would want because in taking the car in to the Acura dealer, the service manager reviewed by situation and signed approval for ordering the glove box liner. The part number has been changed as compared to the one that was used by the production line. He admitted that the dealers have experienced breakage of one or more clips when changing the filters; in many cases, depending on the integrity of the reapair technician, they will slap it back together and you the car owner will not know the difference unless you hear a rattle. I reinstalled the liner and had no rattles, yet one clip and one plastic post was broken. I decided not to glue back and just go for a new one under warranty.

The service manager said that installing a new one such as in the production plant is not an issue for breakage, but removing it to replace the filter is another story. So by using the silicone grease it will make it easier to remove the tension clips without breakage. Do it yourselfers will appreciate this. I am sure it is no cheap part. I have the new part number. The color codes did not change.

JetJock, the reason why the upgraded filter is not 100% pollution removal is that I noticed upon install that two of the sides the manufacturer did not bind the sides which Honda did. That makes a better seal. The filter media is definitely better and Jetjock thank you for clarifying the capability of the filter. I would have been disappointed if I did not know that and upon meeting up with a stinky vehicle.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

I was the one who told you where to go!!! Call ATP, ask for the tech dept and give them your zip code or go to the website www.atp-inc.com, there is a jobber store locator.
Originally Posted by StuartHDuzan
Brand: ATP "Interior Ventilation Filter"; part number HA-5 JetJoc had a website that allows you to find which local parts store in your local has it. I believe I emailed the company and they told me where to go (no pun intended).

Also "Clean 'N Coat by ATP. A spray that you spray the evaporator case to clean the cooling coil and then coat it. The coating repels water for up to 1 year. No moisture buildup......NO SMELL. Outstanding product for cars that we have all had that gets that stale smell. I have not had that problem with our 2002 Civic EX and I have not heard any complaint by our member on the TL. So I did not spray it. But I thought it would help some of our other cars.

I think the world of Road Rage, but I must tell him that changing the cabin filter IS A BIG DEAL, but it shouldn't have to be. They did not make it easy on the TL. The Civic is a lot easier.

The car has 10 miles on it. I could have the dealer replace the "glove box housing", however, I plan to use an appropriate glue to bond the clip holder that broke off perfectly from the base. They should have used a different means of securing the liner being that it will be removed time and time again. Only God knows what a novice to mechanics would break. However, it is not brain surgery.

So my recommendation is to as carefully as possible pull from the top first and then the bottom or visa versa. You can't really pull from the sides. I tried. The main thing is to put silicone grease on the pegs and the six spring clips. Once this is done, I am led to believe you won't have to worry about breaking something.

If you do and you want to cover it under warranty here are the Acura part numbers for the Glove Box Housing replacement: #77500-SEP-A010 (I am assuming that 2004 uses the same part number). Also you have to specify the color as follows: NH 167L = Black; NH 528L = Grey (Quartz); YR 167L = Brown; YR 240L = Light Brown (I presume this is for Parchment Interiors).

I do not have a digital camera, otherwise I would have taken some pics. I could have used the RAZR V3 phone to take the picture, however they do not arrive until tomorrow. And I won't know how to use it for a while.

JetJoc gets the credit for the filter find. He says you will never smell stinky cars/trucks every again. I hope he is right. Because this was no fun being the beta installer. The problem with allowing someone else install is you don't know if they break a peg or clip holder. They just shove it together...and well you know the rest of the story.

Ron, our loyal moderator, if you can find in the shop manual page that lays out how to remove the glove box housing (it might be page 20-84 or 21-73 perhaps) without breaking anything. I tried to do it carefully but it did not help.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Forever Young

Thank You, Brucer

Brucer,

I apologize in forgetting to thank you. I guess I have talked to more than one person that sometimes which question and whom.

By the way the dealer is going to replace that liner that broke off one of the clips in replacing the upgraded filter. I do worry however, after the dealer admitte that there are a lot of TL's that will have broken liners and not all of their 6 clips participating in holding the liner. Customers won't even know, unless they do their own filter changes, which I plan on doing. I am going to maintain silicone grease on each clip to make sure this never happens again. They should have used screws into a receptible. TL's will have that liner removed 10-20 times in it lifetime.

Thank you, again!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Drifting

Staurt...you didn't mention how you like the filter. Has it been satisfactory? Although not perfect, I've found that my interior has retained that "new car" smell for almost 12 months and I don't seem to have any dust on the dashboard like I used to have with the stock filter. Although it's a hassle to replace, I'm happy with the results and will continue to use the ATP filter thru the life of my car.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Forever Young

JetJock,

The small amount of mileage I have placed on the car since last Tuesday, the cabin air filter seems to be very good. I have not incurred any stinky smells from the outside yet.

Yesterday the dealer replaced the glove box liner that had one clip support broken off. They admitted that in many cases upon replacing the filter these six clip brackets can be broken and the owner will never know unless they hear a rattle or take it apart personally. I told the dealer to make sure the tech puts some silicone on the new clips. I hope they did. As I mentioned before, the dealer says that breakage happens not in installing the new liner but in taking it off for filter changes. THUS FAR, I ENDORSE THE UPGRADED FILTER. I need to find a stinky car/truck and give it a test.

If you ever fly to the Scottsdale Airpark, please give me a call. I will buy lunch and maybe we can do some flying. I hope to order tentatively an '06 Aston Martin Volante (convertible) hopefully by the end of the year. Production starts May 1st tentively. I am not rich; I have some health issues and I just wanted to do this before it is too late (if you know what I mean). The DB9 Volante would arrive around 2-3 months upon placing the order. I am thinking about buying it from Texas dealer or a California dealer. I feel I can save a little versus buying it from our Scottsdale dealer.

By the way, those G2 Paint Caliper Kits....is there enough paint to do a couple of coats including the hubs and edges of the rotars. Do you think black or silver is the right color? The factory painted the hubs silver.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Drifting

Staurt, next time I get to Scottsdale, I definately will look you up. Sorry, but my company keeps a tight reign on our company jet so I won't be able to take you for a "spin" around the area unless we have some maintenance issue to deal with that needs a test flight. I don't have any experience with the g-2 rotor paint you mentioned. I was thinking of painting my rear rotors to match the black "brembo" rotors on the front wheels, and made some inquiry's on the forum asking questions, but you must have me confused with someone else. I think Ali...something did his..but as far as I know...he got shipped off to Iraq since I haven't heard from him lately. Good Luck with everything....jj