3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced steering wheel, now questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Replaced steering wheel, now questions...

Well I got an A-spec wheel recently...

I took off old one with wheel puller thing I got from autozone... Put new one on...

I have a few questions...

First, how do you know if the wheel is on all the way? Old one was TIGHT going off... This one screwed in easy, then I took bolt back out and tried to remove because I didnt put wheel back on centered and couldnt get it off, and that leads to my below problem and questions...

2nd question, Well problem really...

I guess when I put new wheel on I had it turned to the right a little more then old one as when I drive now the wheel is cocked left. The car tracks straight just steering wheel off now... My question is can an Alignment fix this or only remove and replace steering wheel? I ask because I cant remove new wheel, I tried and the puller kit, the screws ripped out of the wheel and now I cant screw a wheel puller kit on anymore because it stripped the screw holes used...

Thanks in advance! *Crosses fingers*
Old 02-27-2005, 04:55 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U need to fix that with your steering wheel... it'll come off.. once you tighten that bolt.. it sort of "locks" the wheel in place... so use your wheel puller.. or what i do is just bang on the side of the wheel to wedge it out.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Racer

Well I cant use the wheel puller because nothing I can screw it into... The shaft is fine, but the little holes that are on the wheel u screw it into are stripped... when I tried to remove, the 2 screws on the wheel puller poped out of the steering wheel and brought all the thread with them...

As far as what you said you did, its not good to bang on the wheels like that, it will damage some other things... Plus with how tight mine is I would have to bang it HARD...

But I was in hopes an alignment could fix it.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
You need to go to a shop and have them tap the holes you screwed up (pun intended), and put new threads in there so you, or someone else, can use the wheel puller again to get the wheel off.

I don't think an alignment will help if the wheel if off center because it wasn't put on right. There is only so much adjustment available. Besides, you risk screwing up the alignment if you try to go that route.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Racer

Arg, I was afraid of this...

The thing is we have a tap kit. We tried to re do one of the holes and it stripped easy. Its alomost like the metals used for the wheels is weak or something.

The strang part of all this is I know I have the notch on the 12 oclock position on the wheel close if not just 1 notch off from the shaft yet the steering is so much off center now..

Arg! this sucks soo bad... The dang puller thing isnt even my fault. I had the screw(s) in all the way and they just came out and brough all the thread with them and I know was right size screw...
Old 02-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you need the help of an experienced mechanic. The holes probably need to be drilled and retapped. You probably don't want to learn to do this on your $300 steering wheel. I'm guessing your puller was a low-buck model that came with bolts that were not a precise fit. That could explain the stripped threads.

Also, the splines on a new wheel may not exactly match the position of those on an old wheel. Even if you get it on in the right place, it could be a few degrees off. Even the slightest difference can be enough to notice if your used to the old position. This can be adjusted with an alignment, but if it's way off the wheel needs to be repositioned.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Racer

What is considred to much for an alignment?

I am going to take to the dealer sometime this week. I am not going to tell them anything other then my wheel is off center. Car only has 1k miles.... I am sure they will try the alingnment, but with me not telling them anything will they put my alignment off to much to offset it or will they be smart enough to know its more then alignment issue?

I am not sure what is considered to much for an alignment to fix though...

Ugg... I shoulda trusted my gut and not did it... I just hope its fixable and not going to cos as much as the damn wheel itself did, lol.... I will stick to doing mods that can not affect major things like steering and stuff, or else have prof installed... I am one of them, i wana learn and do myself people.... Well I have learned my les....
Old 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB2k5
What is considred to much for an alignment?

I am going to take to the dealer sometime this week. I am not going to tell them anything other then my wheel is off center. Car only has 1k miles.... I am sure they will try the alingnment, but with me not telling them anything will they put my alignment off to much to offset it or will they be smart enough to know its more then alignment issue?

I am not sure what is considered to much for an alignment to fix though...

Ugg... I shoulda trusted my gut and not did it... I just hope its fixable and not going to cos as much as the damn wheel itself did, lol.... I will stick to doing mods that can not affect major things like steering and stuff, or else have prof installed... I am one of them, i wana learn and do myself people.... Well I have learned my les....
Doen't get discouraged about being a "DIY" (Do it yourself) person. The only way you learn is to try. Some "lessons" are more expensive than othres.... This issue will just make you more aware/methodical on your next task.
As for your steering wheel. If you truly are off by one "spline" only, an alignment should easily fix it. I will preface by saying I am not an expert on the TL's front end but I'm sure the "tie rods" have plenty of adjustment for your wheel being off 5-10 degrees or so. Now, a little exaggeration here but if you attempted to fix say a 1/4 turn+ error in the wheel with the alignment, the rack-n-pinion would be too off center thus may not turn as far one direction vs the other etc.
Your plan to take it to the dealer is a good one. Either way they will start the alignment. If a tie-rod adjustment won't work, any "good" mechanic should then start checking for steering shaft/wheel installation issues. They will then find your stripped steering wheel etc. At that point your "bill" will start to increase.....

Good luck
Old 02-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Racer

Well, the steering wheel, you cant tell its stripped, I re-tapped it but I know its not strong as I used same size tap...

As far as you said for the may not turn to far one way as the other, is this something I need to worry about or will the dealer handle it?

The wheel is I would say at about 10:30-11 position If going off a 12 hour clock.

Is that to much?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Well, the steering wheel, you cant tell its stripped, I re-tapped it but I know its not strong as I used same size tap...

As far as you said for the may not turn to far one way as the other, is this something I need to worry about or will the dealer handle it?

The wheel is I would say at about 10:30-11 position If going off a 12 hour clock.

Is that to much?

Ouch,,,,

OK, 10:30 would be 45 degrees off so my guess is your definitely more than one spline/groove off. I would probably take it in and just tell your service advisor what you did and have them perform the proper fix. An alignment may still be OK, but let them make that determination.
DIY is good. Chock this one up as a learning experience. One thing I do when I am not completely familiar with a task, and even if I am,, I try to brainstorm on all of the things I wouldn't/don't want to happen... Basically gets your mind "on" the task and keeps you focused through-out.

Good luck - let us know the outcome.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Racer

I starting to think its closer to the 11 o-clock. The thing is, it was already a LITTLE off before I did it.... I dont like letting other places work on my car because 90% of the time I do a better job and I know it was done right, but in this case I dont know..

My other major concern is I dont remember if I lined up the tab in the back with the wheel... I am 70% sure I did... I mean the wheel is on, and I tightned the shi* out of the bolt so I dont think it will fall off...

Oh well, nothing I can do now whats done is done, can only try to get corrected...

Would not care AS much but no Acura dealer near me... I have to drive 45 min to get to one... I got EVERY other dealer that you can think of BUT acura.... Its the wasted time that kills me... Money can be replcaedm time cant...

Anyway thanks everyone for their help. I dont feel so bad after reading some peoples comments, guess I just wanted to *vent*... I will reply with outcome that way if anyone else runs into this... Also if anyone else got any input please feel free.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:14 AM
WDP Director of R & D

BigB, 11:00 isn't so bad.....
You may very well have got it on the right way. Many steering shafts will have one spline much larger than the others thus the wheel will only slide on if in the correct position.

**Anyone here know if the TL steering wheel only goes on one way??**

Just take it down to one of your local alignment shops. Tell them you replaced the wheel but this one is off center. They will be able to tell you if an alignment will suffice.

good luck

Old 02-28-2005, 12:29 AM