Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the rear decklid spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:33 AM
This space taken.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing the rear decklid spoiler

In relation to my other thread - car I'm looking to buy has a rear wing style spoiler. I don't really care for it, but it doesn't bother me - the wife, on the other hand, wants it taken off. The dealer offered to do so - swears I wouldn't be able to tell - but I'm not convinced. I'm concerned about the 3 years of age on the paint and the potential for fading over that time. I suppose they could blend, but that seems a lot of work just to take a spoiler off. Is it that big of a deal just filling and painting the holes?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jurisprudent
In relation to my other thread - car I'm looking to buy has a rear wing style spoiler. I don't really care for it, but it doesn't bother me - the wife, on the other hand, wants it taken off. The dealer offered to do so - swears I wouldn't be able to tell - but I'm not convinced. I'm concerned about the 3 years of age on the paint and the potential for fading over that time. I suppose they could blend, but that seems a lot of work just to take a spoiler off. Is it that big of a deal just filling and painting the holes?

the dealer will probaly switch trunks with another model of the same color.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by IIIII
the dealer will probaly switch trunks with another model of the same color.
Don't let the dealer switch trunks as that can cause problems down the road. The trunk has the VIN stamped on it, if they replace it, the VIN will be missing and lowers the resale value. I would suggets either leaving the wing on or buying a different car w/o the wing.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you buy the car its not worth the money and possible bad end result of taking the spoiler off, if you end up buying it i would just live with it!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

just leave it. it seems like nothing good will come out of taking it off. do you really hate it that much?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by gomezine
just leave it. it seems like nothing good will come out of taking it off. do you really hate it that much?
Jurisprudent's wife doesn't like it, so removing it would help the domestic situation.
When I was looking at the 2005 Mustang GT, the wing was held down by 4 bolts accessible from inside the trunk lid. Had I gotten a GT, I would have removed the spoiler, painted the edges of the bolt holes, then painted 4 plastic bolts (like the type used for license plate frames) body color and used them to seal the trunk holes rather than fill the trunk holes with bondo and repaint. That way, replacing the spoiler would be easy, but I'm not sure how good the 4 round bolt heads would have looked protruding slightly above the trunk lid surface.
Got the TL instead-- much better car for me than Mustang-- so I didn't need a spoiler delete option!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 PM
This space taken.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah - if it were up to me (and really it is, to a degree), I'd just leave it be. But she wants it off, and she and her friends are giving a hard time about it (too 90s they say)... couple that the with the fact that the dealer is saying "we can remove it, we do it all the time, and you'll never know..."

I just don't know whether I buy it. They would simply be filling the holes and painting. How hard would that be to match the rest of the trunk and keep it from being noticeable? In other words, they are offering to do it as part of the deal, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not they can do what they say as good as they say.

At the end of the day, it's not a deal breaker. If I get the deal I want, it's not going to stop me.