3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing daytime running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
'07 NBP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd share something I found while I was looking for some relay wires.

http://www.thexenonstore.com/relay.php

HID Relay Harness With Inline Fuse Relieves stress on your stock wiring system, or disable your DRL's. By drawing power direct from the battery using all 12 AWG wiring HIDs will turn on when triggered by your headlight switch. Built with a duel output 30Amp Relay it powers both HID ballasts, complete with all needed connectors for easy install, the Relay harness will also provide a level of protection for over voltages to you HID system with its inline fuse.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:52 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I just picked up my NBP A-Spec TL-S today and my first mod was to remove the DRL fuse (bottom row, third fuse from the left, kickpanel fuse holder). I was annoyed all the way home with those nasty yellow lights.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Advanced

This was my first mod as well. It is very easy. The only thing is when you pull the fuse you will need some pliers and you need to pull fairly hard. The first time I tried I was being too gentle so nothing happened. Those suckers are really in there! Like others have said once you pull the fuse a yellow/orange DRL will light up under your left gauge. It doesnt seem to bother me a bit though. I almost never see it because the steering wheel covers it up most of the time!

Those of you who have done this mod where do you plan on storing your fuse? I would like to keep mine in the car some where but I havent decided where yet.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by WantnOne
This was my first mod as well. It is very easy. The only thing is when you pull the fuse you will need some pliers and you need to pull fairly hard. The first time I tried I was being too gentle so nothing happened. Those suckers are really in there! Like others have said once you pull the fuse a yellow/orange DRL will light up under your left gauge. It doesnt seem to bother me a bit though. I almost never see it because the steering wheel covers it up most of the time!

Those of you who have done this mod where do you plan on storing your fuse? I would like to keep mine in the car some where but I havent decided where yet.
You can stick it in the foam container that sits inside of the spare tire.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Instructor

My C6 has DRLs, and before I bought the car, I hated them. However, while I can turn them off (it has to be done every time you start the car), I never bother. I figure anything that make me easier to see is a good thing. When I bought the TL-S, I never gave the DRLs a second thought (though I was surprised there is no conventional way to turn them off). Leave em on.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you guys have the balls to do it, you can take out the speed cluster open it and take the bulb out that shows the drl has a problem. i use to have an integra that the abs motor went out on me. Since i was getting a jdm front, I removed the abs motor and opened the speed cluster to remove the bulb for the abs. the cluster was designed to be opened just incase any of the bulbs blow in them. Me, I think the drl are cool and have no problems with them so I opt to keep them
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

You can also just unplug the DRL from behind the passenger light and then both go out. The DRL light still goes on in the dash.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kenny5
Insurance companies give discounts to cars with DRLs. For those of you who want to disable your DRLs, you may be reported accordingly.
Called my agent and no such discount nor does she know of one that gives such...she has DRLs and gets no discount...can you give us the company that offers such? Might be of interest to some here if it amounts to much...

As for DRLs, I find on days you need them you also need you tails on too...I see people down this way with just DRLs on in heavy fog...no tail lights! I use my lights when conditions demand...

I too think The DRLs look low budget....You have a switch for the HLs why not the DRLs? Then the safety junkies can have it their way and the born to be wild/do not like the looks crowd their way.....???
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

I would think if you measure the amout of resistance in the bulb with nothing plug into it then bought a resistor that measured the same and pluged it into the wiring harness it should get rid of the DRL light but you have to do it to both wiring plugs (pass. and driver) and each resistor pluged in is going to heat up (so you need to keep it clear) plus you have to make sure the resistors are rated for 12V's but I HAVE NOT DONE THIS... I AM JUST THINKING OUT LOUD.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question.. on the 07 TL turning on your lights turns the DRLs off right? (One would assume..)

Does the TL automatically turn the headlights on/off when the car is on/off?

Example.. I put Xenons in my Accord.. I always have my headlights on, even in the middle of the day (they're purdyyyyy)

So, I get out of my car, after 10 seconds all of the lights shut off. When I'm walking to my car after work, I hit unlock, and all of my lights come on for 10 seconds and stay on once I start the car. So if you don't like the dim yellowish look if the DRLs, then just turn the headlights on. (That is if the TL does auto on/off when the headlight switch is on)

I don't know if that applies to the TL or not.

But FYI - they do make the car more visible. It's one more way for you to alert people and for people to see you during the day/when the sun is starting to set, and at night it lights up enough that maybe the idiots driving their cars will think "wow that's kinda dim" and turn on their friggin headlights. (I get so irritated when I see someone with the electroilluminescent gauges that fail to turn on their headlights because their gauges are already lit up.)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

Yes they time out, and if you lock it it shuts them off when you lock them, and when you unlock it they come on, but the chime beeps when leave them on so you have to listen to that chime for a few secs. when you get in or out.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JPA3
I pulled my fuse, bottom row, 3rd from left

Yes, DRL warning light stays on unless headlights are on (stays on in any position that the DRL should be on in) but I don't mind

I think DRL looks cheesy

You know what ever since I pick up my 07 TL-S form the dealer last Nov my DRL's haven't worked at all, who knows what it could be but its fine I like it with out them
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NaplesTL
Yes they time out, and if you lock it it shuts them off when you lock them, and when you unlock it they come on, but the chime beeps when leave them on so you have to listen to that chime for a few secs. when you get in or out.

Better than trying to mod your car to turn off two lights eh?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

yea LOL I went back and forth with it, it took me all of 2 min to unplug the pass. DRL plug, then both went off. If I get tired of thr DRL light in the dash I will plug it back in.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I've mentioned this a couple of times now with no response. What if you disconnect the positive wire to the DLRs and splice them into the fog's positives? Then your fogs would be your DLRs, and you could still have fogs with the headlights on. It doesn't solve the yellow problem, but I think light from the lower bumper looks much better. Anyone know if this would work?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug
I've mentioned this a couple of times now with no response. What if you disconnect the positive wire to the DLRs and splice them into the fog's positives? Then your fogs would be your DLRs, and you could still have fogs with the headlights on. It doesn't solve the yellow problem, but I think light from the lower bumper looks much better. Anyone know if this would work?

yes and no

yes. theory u can do it , it will work but mess up your eletric system
no. you need to rewired correctly.

this is what you have to do..Use the DRL wire as a trigger hook up to relay. and use specific fuse for fog light. you need to find out what amp is for fog light and use the same one. if you don't know how to rewired. go to any alarm shop they can rewired for you easily.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

maybe i can switch it to HID bulbs......is that possible?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza4Everyone
maybe i can switch it to HID bulbs......is that possible?
I rather not too, because it draw too much juice and mess up electric varience. You have problem right away after 1 month if you doing that without any rewiring . talk to electrical they can change it around.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

I replaced my DRL bulbs with super white LED or super amber LED.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
5th Gear

I just purchased an 08 TLS and that was the one turn off I had with the car..makes a nice ride look very generic (reminds me of an old school Saturn). Thanks for the thread...fuse is gone!