3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remind me again why I passed up the G35?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remind me again why I passed up the G35?

Ohh.. yeah.. now I remember!

Today I was driving to work at my normal speed (85) and I passed a G35 Coupe on my right (hell.. EVERYONE is on my right). The driver wasn't an asshole or anything and so I just sailed by and he didn't try to catch up or anything. Ok. So, at the next exit, 2 more G35 Coupes get on the freeway as I pass the onramp. I'm going 90 by now, but they both insist on showing me up... like we're in a race or something. I just like to go fast... in my beautiful, uncommon car. Oh well.. they can get a ticket if they want. So, I have to pass ANOTHER G35 Coupe in order to get off at the next exit. As I sit at the light, waiting to turn on to the street from the offramp, I count 3 more G35 Coupes and 2 Sedans as they pass in front of me.

By the time I pull up to work, I've spotted a few more. No 04 TL's though. I seemed to be the only one on the road this morning. As it is every morning.

*hugz his TL*
Old 06-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

I see a lot of G 35's too . They are everywhere. Idiots if you ask me.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro

in a couple more months you will also be seeing more of the 04 TL's
Old 06-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Hal

Well.. Yes, they are everywhere... but what about them makes the people idiots? I disagree that they are idiots... but I personally like a car that isn't so.. used.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Racer

Old 06-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Racer

i see quite a few TL's up here in Seattle... didn't know that it's so 'uncommon' for you.

G35 is just a 350Z wanna be...but that's for OLD MAN... infiniti is the symbol for retirement.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I'm lucky if I see 1-2 TLs a day. I usually see at least 5 different G35 sedans a day, and I don't drive to school or work, so thats just when I'm running errands. I also see at least two coupes a day. They're everywhere.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Hal

A lot of young kids in G35's around here.

I saw about 3 TLs last Sunday when I drove through LA to OC. Only 3 though... and the people I met had never seen one either. That tells me I still have a commodity.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:41 PM

This young kid made the RIGHT choice
Old 06-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GaleForce
This young kid made the RIGHT choice
...and this "experienced driver" made the right choice, also. Didn't even consider the G35...looked too much like a Maxima to me. Given the dozens of G35s I see everyday I guess they didn't feel that way, though. To each his own.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM

They could have. Maybe they liked the look?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM
ZHP 4CE

Anyone here from Houston? When I was in Dallas, I agree about seeing nothing but bimmers and G35's. It got old real quick. I was looking out for TL's everywhere, but hardly ever saw any.

But coming down here to Houston, it's a totally different story. I see a fair number of G35's and 3ers, but man, it seems like there are just as many TL's around here, especially in black.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:33 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Actually, I see just as many TLs as G35s in San Diego. Everytime I pass by a TL, I admire its design. Very pretty car. I love that comment about G35 owners being idiots. VERY Classy
Old 06-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Advanced

for the idiot who called g35 drivers idiots....the reason why one person who see more g35's on the road is because there are more out there...since it has been around longer and sold more than 04 TL's...so what they like g35's more...doesn't mean they are idiot...for all i know some of them probably wouldn't have got g35's if the TL was out at the same time...

g35's been out for 3-4 years..while TL been out for less than a year..so..just calm down about that...nothing so special about TL's (i have one..my mom has one..what's the big deal?)

now that for the person who said g35 coupe's are 350z wannabe's....you don't know much about cars do you? g35 coupes are the new skylines in japan...in case you don't know what skylines are ....they are nissan's...anyhow...before anyone of you have driven a g35coupe...you guys should really chill on saying its a crappy car...cuz..it will blow you away with its exhaust notes and performance....and the inside is just as nice (TL definitely has more gadgets...but quality wise its comparable..i have both)..anyhow... just try not to be some ignorant assholes on this board to diss or talk shit about other cars just to make yourself feel better...i don't need to..i know my TL is nice...thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Hal

Originally Posted by takuyaah
g35's been out for 3-4 years..while TL been out for less than a year..so..just calm down about that...nothing so special about TL's (i have one..my mom has one..what's the big deal?)
Check your numbers, man. Check your numbers.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:44 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by takuyaah
for the idiot who called g35 drivers idiots....the reason why one person who see more g35's on the road is because there are more out there...since it has been around longer and sold more than 04 TL's...so what they like g35's more...doesn't mean they are idiot...for all i know some of them probably wouldn't have got g35's if the TL was out at the same time...

now that for the person who said g35 coupe's are 350z wannabe's....you don't know much about cars do you? g35 coupes are the new skylines in japan...in case you don't know what skylines are ....they are nissan's...anyhow...before anyone of you have driven a g35coupe...you guys should really chill on saying its a crappy car...cuz..it will blow you away with its exhaust notes and performance....and the inside is just as nice (TL definitely has more gadgets...but quality wise its comparable..i have both)..anyhow... just try not to be some ignorant assholes on this board to diss or talk shit about other cars just to make yourself feel better...i don't need to..i know my TL is nice...thanks
Damn Takuyaah, you have TL too I knew you were going to buy a G (from other forum) but I didn't realize you also had a TL. Which car do you like better?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hal
Ohh.. yeah.. now I remember!

Today I was driving to work at my normal speed (85) and I passed a G35 Coupe on my right (hell.. EVERYONE is on my right). The driver wasn't an asshole or anything and so I just sailed by and he didn't try to catch up or anything. Ok. So, at the next exit, 2 more G35 Coupes get on the freeway as I pass the onramp. I'm going 90 by now, but they both insist on showing me up... like we're in a race or something. I just like to go fast... in my beautiful, uncommon car. Oh well.. they can get a ticket if they want. So, I have to pass ANOTHER G35 Coupe in order to get off at the next exit. As I sit at the light, waiting to turn on to the street from the offramp, I count 3 more G35 Coupes and 2 Sedans as they pass in front of me.

By the time I pull up to work, I've spotted a few more. No 04 TL's though. I seemed to be the only one on the road this morning. As it is every morning.

*hugz his TL*

I have the same observation as you have seen. Tons of G are running over streets. Eventually, TLs will be everywhere as 2nd Gen TLs if Acura is willing to improve their built quality better and better.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I think people are overrating their worry about EITHER the G35 (coupe or sedan) or the TL being too common. And neither one is crappy. Sure there are things that could be improved in both (for their price I think both are a good deal, but if you want the advantages of a superior drivetrain the G35 is the way to go and the TL is the way to go if you want a more luxurious ride with better fuel economy. It's been said many times I believe.)
A lot of people on here have become/are too nitpicky. Both of those cars have superb reliability compared to a whole bunch of other stuff out there. I hardly ever see any on the road. I'd be lucky to see 3 in one day (of either) on a busy Saturday afternoon downtown. Even Accord coupes are not common. Try driving a Sunfire one day and then you will know the true definition of :shit: ! I had to drive my friend's car home for him because he was drunk, and it felt so WRONG! It was only 2 years old, and already the transmission was slipping out of third, and it felt like the car was made by fischer-price it was so much cheap plastic. It was also slow like a dirty slug and rattled to hell. He grabbed onto the holy sh*t handle and the thing cracked. A Honda Civic or a Nissan Sentra is worlds better. The same thing goes if you were driving a Cadillac CTS. They rank as one of the worst in reliability I remember hearing. So it would be the same type of comparison in the price range of the TL and G35. Oh, that ran't turned out longer than I thought
So anyway, my main point was stop being so damn niggly! Just be thankful that you're driving a car much nicer than many on the road. How many Sunfires do I see a day? Probably at least 50.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Instructor

People who buy G35's aren't idiots. Maybe they just prefer a car thats faster, Handles better and stops quicker than a TL.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Canon1D
i see quite a few TL's up here in Seattle... didn't know that it's so 'uncommon' for you.

G35 is just a 350Z wanna be...but that's for OLD MAN... infiniti is the symbol for retirement.
Most luxury cars are old mans cars. And personally every TL I have seen has had a 40-50 year old person driving it. I also see older people driving G35 Sedans but I do see more younger people driving them than the TL. Especially the coupes. I would say I see a average of 2-3 TLs a day, new ones, and about 4-5 G35 mixture. But you gotta remember, the G35 has been out 1.5 years longer than the TL as well. Give the TL 1.5 years more and it will be on the road more often than the G35.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by shodog
People who buy G35's aren't idiots. Maybe they just prefer a car thats faster, Handles better and stops quicker than a TL.
ya..exactly man..or maybe they like to be about to throw their cars around...or god forbid...maybe they like the way g35s look (i am sorry..everyone can have their own preference)..all in all...just let them be..and you don't need to justify why you got your car...neither do they...

people should really stop worrying about how many of your style of cars out there..cuz...its not really based on you (unless u pay around a quarter million for a car...then you can make sure that there's not too many of you out there)...you guy pay like 35K for a car..and whine about "oh...i dun like to see too many people driving my car" give me a break man...35K for is luxury for sure (since the avg income of the nation is less than 20K) but then again...it really depends where you are from (i am from the richest county in the nation..santa clara county CA)35K on a car for us..is not as bad as you think...so..just chill about that...and EVENTUALLY i guarentee you...TL's are going to be EVERYWHERE..just think of it as...people are just as smart as you and they want the "BEST" car in the world..or whatever u like to think of your car....

ya....i have a TL...and i am waiting for the 2005 G35 coupe (+15~20 hp...new LSD..new transmission...upgraded interior)...i am gonna order it in summer and should be ready for me by winter break...

i am sorry..the g35 has only been out for like 2-3 years...still..you guys should know what i mean =) g35 been out longer..therefore..there's more out there =)
Old 06-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
I see a lot of G 35's too . They are everywhere. Idiots if you ask me.
I see G35's everywhere too, I like the coupes but see too many sedans, but to each his own. Not sure why you'd call them idiots though, they bought nice cars. .
Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

the coupes are awesome i was really considering getting one but the rwd would have killed me during the winter.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I just sold a G35 Sedan, and there is a very good chance I'll buy a TL in the next few weeks. I assure you, after putting 26,000 miles on the G35 - I'll never say the TL is better or worse, just different. The G35 was never in the shop, handled great, and was a great car to own.

I know you guys (and gals?) get defensive about the FWD vs RWD, I'm hear to tell you that I feel like I'll be going backwards getting a FWD car if that's what I do. But I'm ready for something different, and yes- I do like the TL's interior and features better.

But all the blatant attacks on the G35 that some (not all!) of you make are showing your ignorance. You may not like the subjective aspects of the car (like appearance), but from a functional standpoint, I think you'd be the idiot for knocking the car.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I'm going 90 by now, but they both insist on showing me up... like we're in a race or something. I just like to go fast... in my beautiful, uncommon car. Oh well.. they can get a ticket if they want.
Yeah, like you'd never get a ticket doing 90.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I love my discontinued CL-s...
Old 06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Hal

Originally Posted by jzinckgra
Yeah, like you'd never get a ticket doing 90.
Welcome to the 118 freeway.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Advanced

I take it you are going east on the 118? Too bad we'll never see each other on the way to work. Maybe I'll run into you around town. I should be easy to spot as I haven't seen another A-Spec around town yet
Old 06-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

Dick Measuring Contest...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me I just happen to like the looks of the TL better!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

I am a long-term Nissan fan, started with older bro's '72 240Z, owned a 300zx. I love the g35 coupe, but my first 30 minutes of commute each morning is taking my three sons to school- had to have the back seat and don't care for g35 sedan- at all. Love the TL- first Acura BTW.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:33 AM
Instructor

the TL outsells G35s almost 2 to 1 now, so expect to see at least as many TLs in about 3 years. Either way, both cars are fairly uncommon even compared to BMW 3s. And don't talk to me about common cars.. I use to drive a 98 accord =P
Old 06-18-2004, 07:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey, guess what?? There's nothing wrong with being older.....or with driving a car that someone older might be driving. It's not a sin to mature...and trust me...once most of us arrived here...we found we didn't WANT to go back again. There are definite pluses to the 'prime' years but you can't really appreciate them until you reach this point in life....which is exactly why they happen when they do.

If "being young" means I have people desiging cars for me that look like the Element and those Scion things.....then I think 50 and my TL look just FINE, thank you!

Oh...and by the way, if we're talking "common"....can you say CAMRY??
Old 06-18-2004, 07:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tecworld
the TL outsells G35s almost 2 to 1 now, so expect to see at least as many TLs in about 3 years. Either way, both cars are fairly uncommon even compared to BMW 3s. And don't talk to me about common cars.. I use to drive a 98 accord =P
2 to 1? Where are your numbers? G35 sells 6000+ a month, the TL 7000+ a month. I would not call that 2 to 1.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Hey, guess what?? There's nothing wrong with being older.....or with driving a car that someone older might be driving. It's not a sin to mature...and trust me...once most of us arrived here...we found we didn't WANT to go back again. There are definite pluses to the 'prime' years but you can't really appreciate them until you reach this point in life....which is exactly why they happen when they do.

If "being young" means I have people desiging cars for me that look like the Element and those Scion things.....then I think 50 and my TL look just FINE, thank you!

Oh...and by the way, if we're talking "common"....can you say CAMRY??
Well stated.

I'll just add that outside of the LS430 and Q/M45, there really arent any import "old person's cars". BTW, the LS and Q/M45 are rides I'll take over the 04 TL and G35 ANY DAY. Total no brainer!!

Anyway, it's pretty lame to dislike a car because of a perceived demographic of its typical driver. (Heck! We all make fun of Pontiac Trans Ams because of the mullet image but, I'll bet some of you pinks that you guys wouldnt give up a WS6 if you had one.)

Peace.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:26 AM
10th Gear

The G35 is a nice car and I prefer the coupe look also - but I like the TL sedan's look better than the G35 so I got the TL. Also, I prefer a car that's not showing up in a rental car fleet - Hertz is using the G35. Not a big deal, but just my preference.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dkrudop

Amen, bro. Plus, my TL is paid for... which is another advantage of being "old". I'll take "old" any day!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:29 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

I'd give up all my personal belongings if I could be 18 again! For sure!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Disproportionate Member

Well, I thought I'd throw my .02 in. Up until May 23rd or so, there has been a VQ of some sort in my garage since 1995. With regards to the G35 comparison, I think that a much closer comparison to the TL, feature-wise, is the Maxima, though I'm sure people cross-shop the G35 and TL more than the TL and the Maxima. When I decided I wanted to trade my Altima, I looked at the TL, the Maxima, and the G35.

The Maxima actually wouldn't have been a bad choice, but I had a bit of a bad feeling about the Smyrna, Tennessee plant where the Altima and the Maxima are made. I loved my Altima, but had concerns about the squeeks and rattles that were creeping into my Altima (which, btw, seem to thus far be about the same as my TL). So that eliminated the Maxima.

When it came to the G35, there's one Infiniti dealer in Austin, and they're asses. They wouldn't budge off MSRP.

The TL I got for a good price, and it had an unmatchable feature list. It's not as fast as the Auto G35 sedan my boss has. It's not nearly as fast as my 5spd modded Altima. But the "coolness" factor is high. I'd love it if I could just get rid of the squeeks from the headliner area when I go over bumps...
Old 06-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aquineas
Well, I thought I'd throw my .02 in. Up until May 23rd or so, there has been a VQ of some sort in my garage since 1995. With regards to the G35 comparison, I think that a much closer comparison to the TL, feature-wise, is the Maxima, though I'm sure people cross-shop the G35 and TL more than the TL and the Maxima. When I decided I wanted to trade my Altima, I looked at the TL, the Maxima, and the G35.

The Maxima actually wouldn't have been a bad choice, but I had a bit of a bad feeling about the Smyrna, Tennessee plant where the Altima and the Maxima are made. I loved my Altima, but had concerns about the squeeks and rattles that were creeping into my Altima (which, btw, seem to thus far be about the same as my TL). So that eliminated the Maxima.

When it came to the G35, there's one Infiniti dealer in Austin, and they're asses. They wouldn't budge off MSRP.

The TL I got for a good price, and it had an unmatchable feature list. It's not as fast as the Auto G35 sedan my boss has. It's not nearly as fast as my 5spd modded Altima. But the "coolness" factor is high. I'd love it if I could just get rid of the squeeks from the headliner area when I go over bumps...
I got mine from Austin Infiniti, and had a great time. 31,200 for a loaded 6spd Sedan. When the dealer here in s.a. wanted 33,800 for the same thing. They were the only dealer that would work, and I took that deal.

Quick Reply: Remind me again why I passed up the G35?