Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Oil Change places?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Oil Change places?

My car is due for it's first oil change soon, and I've been reading a lot about the debate between having a dealer do it (Closest is 20 minutes away) or doing it yourself. Since I'm not a big fan of spending an hour in the car just for an oil change at a dealer, and I'm not a motorhead that would do the change myself, that leaves me with a third-party option only.

Any of you have recommendations, (or definite places to avoid)?

I've got lots of choices ranging from Jiffy Lube, Pep Boys, Firestone, NTB, Citgo Lube, Wal Mart, among others...

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Walmart Express Lube....Tell them to use Havoline or M1, but avoid their Fram Extra Guard or Supertech Oil Filters at all costs. Instead, pay extra for a M1 Filter if possible or buy your own PureOne Filter from Pep Boys or Advanced Auto and bring it to them.

I think they charge $13.95 for an oil/filter change with Supertech oil and filter, and they charge an extra $1.50 for name-brand bulk (hopefuly that includes Havoline), hopefully they'll give you a $1-$2 credit for bringing your own filter, so you could possibly "get out" for $14 from Walmart +$6 from Advanced Auto and Pep Boys for the filter. So $20 all together, not bad.

Michael
Old 05-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Advanced

I would vote to do it yourself, it takes me about 20 min. if you have the right epuipment. But if not, and you want to get it changed at someplace you mentioned other than a dealer don't just use any old oil filter. Filters that I feel are as good or better than factory is the Wix (NAPA Gold), Purolator 1, or Nippon. Stay away from the $3.00 and less filters like A/C, Fram, etc.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chas22
I would vote to do it yourself, it takes me about 20 min. if you have the right epuipment. But if not, and you want to get it changed at someplace you mentioned other than a dealer don't just use any old oil filter. Filters that I feel are as good or better than factory is the Wix (NAPA Gold), Purolator 1, or Nippon. Stay away from the $3.00 and less filters like A/C, Fram, etc.
Alas I don't have the ramps or equipment to change it myself, and even if I did I still wouldn't do it. I have a bad habit of finding some way to spill something, no matter how careful I am. Unfortunately, I was born with the "make an accidental mess" gene, and I haven't found a cure yet. I don't want oil stains on my driveway or in my garage.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Jiffy lube did mine once they give a discount if you bring another car within a week and they give a free wash but they filled my washer fluid with water but other than that they we quick and clean
Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
Walmart Express Lube....Tell them to use Havoline or M1, but avoid their Fram Extra Guard or Supertech Oil Filters at all costs. Instead, pay extra for a M1 Filter if possible or buy your own PureOne Filter from Pep Boys or Advanced Auto and bring it to them.

I think they charge $13.95 for an oil/filter change with Supertech oil and filter, and they charge an extra $1.50 for name-brand bulk (hopefuly that includes Havoline), hopefully they'll give you a $1-$2 credit for bringing your own filter, so you could possibly "get out" for $14 from Walmart +$6 from Advanced Auto and Pep Boys for the filter. So $20 all together, not bad.

Michael
Nice to see the oil expert recommend one of the best values out there. All I might add is to make sure to tell them to change the washer at the drain plug. you might have to provide it along with your filter.

Also, about the filter, Michael how about those new small dealer filters?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't overlook the option of finding a good independent mechanic. There are a lot of good ones out there. You won't get any frills, but you will get to deal directly with the owner/mechanic who will see you as a person and a valued customer, not a number on an invoice. You won't save money on the oil change, but there's a lot to be said for having a mechanic with 20 or 30 years experience, who knows what to look for, inspecting your car every time he touches it. The relationship you cultivate with a good mechanic can really pay off down the road in the form of honest recommendations and reasonable rates when you need repairs.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR1
All I might add is to make sure to tell them to change the washer at the drain plug. you might have to provide it along with your filter.
What are the odds they have them there? And where can I get some to keep a small stash to provide when I need changes?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aegir
Don't overlook the option of finding a good independent mechanic. There are a lot of good ones out there. You won't get any frills, but you will get to deal directly with the owner/mechanic who will see you as a person and a valued customer, not a number on an invoice. You won't save money on the oil change, but there's a lot to be said for having a mechanic with 20 or 30 years experience, who knows what to look for, inspecting your car every time he touches it. The relationship you cultivate with a good mechanic can really pay off down the road in the form of honest recommendations and reasonable rates when you need repairs.
Best advice I've seen on this board relative to an oil change in a long, long time.

I established my relationship with my mechanic back when I was a freshman in college and he has ALWAYS been up front and honest. Plus, when he says he checked the fluids and systems, he actually checks the fluids and systems and just doesn't have the computer put "ok" out to the side.

He's much, much, much cheaper than the Acura service techs and has lightyears more experience.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to second the sound advice of others who stay with a good independent. Do some checking around on who's got a good reputation re work on Honda's. My independent SPECIALIZES in Acura and Honda only. My choice was David, owner of A+H Automotive in Delray Beach, Florida. He used to work for the dealerships but 20 years ago opened up his own shop. The man is a Honda fanatic, fair, stays up to date on the latest factory issues and does great work which you can observe if you like. In the end, the one on one relationship matters the most-trust and respect will carry the day. End of my sermon. Go get them, boys and girls!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MR1
Also, about the filter, Michael how about those new small dealer filters?
About a few months ago, we had a 4-cyl Accord run Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 for over 13,000 miles on a tiny Amsoil SDF Oil Filter. It has an excellent wear and low solid levels.

I wouldn't be concerned about the small filter sizes if you're using a good filter such as the PureOne, M1, or Amsoil.

Michael
Old 05-02-2005, 10:20 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
About a few months ago, we had a 4-cyl Accord run Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 for over 13,000 miles on a tiny Amsoil SDF Oil Filter. It has an excellent wear and low solid levels.

I wouldn't be concerned about the small filter sizes if you're using a good filter such as the PureOne, M1, or Amsoil. Michael

Thanks but I was asking about the Honda Filter P/N 15400-PLM-A02. I think there was a discussion on these a while back but I'm not sure.

What are the odds they have them there? And where can I get some to keep a small stash to provide when I need changes? (crush washers)

Odds approach 0. My Honda dealer stocks them and also has them taped to the filters that they overcharge for.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MR1
Thanks but I was asking about the Honda Filter P/N 15400-PLM-A02. I think there was a discussion on these a while back but I'm not sure.
Sorry for being offtopic earlier. The A02s are Fram produced and are absolutely lousy filters! The A01s on the other hand, if you can find them, are Filtech produced and of an excellent quality!

Michael
Old 05-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to a local mechanic is excellent advice if you can find a good one. I have one that I take my other vehicles to but for the TL it's dealer only during the warrantee period. It's only twice a year and they're not much more expensive than the local guy. They (hopefully) know the car inside out and if they see anything amiss while under there I'd expect them to tell me. That stamp in my maintenance log gives me peace of mind. Not that I expect to ever have a problem - it's a Honda.

As far as Jiffy Lube, they go too fast for me. The flow of oil barely slows before they put the plug back in. They leave too much of the old oil for me. I used to do everything myself but I just don't have time anymore. I would pull the plug and let it drain for a half hour or so. Just go do something else for a while.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Advanced

The only time my TL goes to the dealership is for recalls, or a problem I'm having thats in a Servuce Bulletin. I have 2 Acuras and a Honda Pilot, and do all the maintence per the book myself, oil changes every 3,000 to 3,500 miles, trans. & VTM fluid changes etc. If you do this keep notes and receipts of everything. Also log everything on the Owner Link web site.