Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear glass vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear glass vibrating

For a long time I thought my sub was rattling, then yesterday, while detailing, I figured out it was the back glass. any suggestions?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stealth
For a long time I thought my sub was rattling, then yesterday, while detailing, I figured out it was the back glass. any suggestions?

Hard to say. Maybe the sealant for the windows has deterriated? Have you already called your dealership? I would get an apoointment setup and take the car in as soon as possible to have them look at it.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Racer

Do you get leaks when it rains?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Instructor

I have the same exact issue. The rattling comes and goes but it is more noticeable in cooler weather. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, this is something that I don't think we'll be able to fix on our own.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a rattle in the back and will look into it if this is causing a rattle. Every rattle mentioned in this forum also happend in my car. This might be my first and last Acura.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:56 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My Last
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Instructor

thinks people, I don't know what I'm going to do, probably going to take it to dealer, and no it doesn't leak.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Instructor

thinks people, I don't know what I'm going to do, probably going to take it to dealer, and no it doesn't leak.
Please keep us updated on what the dealer says and if they're able to fix it.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I must have a particularly good one or something, or possibly just ironed out since my car was made in May, but all 1st run cars have issues, and I find that as the miles accumulate, my car has become smoother and quieter. I guess based on some of y'all posts, I should count my blessings. But I have found that I can fix nearly all of the slight annoyances easily - but a window resonance?? That is a hard one to deal with. Are you sure it is the window? Glass is essentially a "solid liquid", and while strong, quite pliant. So it is likely the mounting that is resonating.

If you put your hand against the glass, will it stop? If not, it is likely another thing vibrating, and the reflected sound makes it seem like the glass is. The TL mounting of the rear glass, esp at the bottom, is a bit odd. At first i thought mine was rusting, and it turned out to be debris that had worked under the frameless mounting where it intersects the weatherstrip. I had to blow it out with a combo of silicone spray to loosen it, and then a thin stream of compressed air from one of those camera lens cleaners.

Good luck - if it is indeed the glass, i would have the dealer get a good glass shop to remedy it. I would also suggest shooting some silicone in there - perhaps a smalls ection of rubber has hardened or is touching something metallic.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I know it's the glass, while I was detailing the car, I heard what I thought was the sub, but it was really loud, I thought "that can't be the sub, I can hear it all the way out here..." so, I put my weight on the glass and it stoped. Did that a few times to make sure, and yeah, it's the glass, I just don't know what the dealer could do about it, I'll see about taking it in.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I know it's the glass, while I was detailing the car, I heard what I thought was the sub, but it was really loud, I thought "that can't be the sub, I can hear it all the way out here..." so, I put my weight on the glass and it stoped. Did that a few times to make sure, and yeah, it's the glass, I just don't know what the dealer could do about it, I'll see about taking it in.
Why not shim it in an unobtrusive spot?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Hey .. novice wrote an article a while back(part of my problem) .... but if u are sure its the window.. then .. this may help .. I have (2) 12 He2s fosgate 1000.1 in the trunk ..plus the factory sub running .. my glass moved ..then vibrated (imagine that) ..plus whole bunch of other stuff .. with the help of others on the forum .. (big thanks Mgokool !!) I have used dynamat extreme .. the car is quite now almost. most of the trunk is done .. but most important . i did the rear deck upper portion and the under part in the trunk.. no vibs at this point from those areas (window is fine now) .. may help your rattle (if sound related)...
Old 10-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xboylive
Hey .. novice wrote an article a while back(part of my problem) .... but if u are sure its the window.. then .. this may help .. I have (2) 12 He2s fosgate 1000.1 in the trunk ..plus the factory sub running .. my glass moved ..then vibrated (imagine that) ..plus whole bunch of other stuff .. with the help of others on the forum .. (big thanks Mgokool !!) I have used dynamat extreme .. the car is quite now almost. most of the trunk is done .. but most important . i did the rear deck upper portion and the under part in the trunk.. no vibs at this point from those areas (window is fine now) .. may help your rattle (if sound related)...
xboy,

You used the dynamat yourself? How expensive is that stuff and how much of a pain was it to do the rear deck? I am thinking of doing this as well, just wondering how much work it will be. Did you have to remove the rear seats?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Instructor

You know what I think it is? The rubber siding that lines the third brake light piece. When the sub hits harder, this part vibrates against the glass. Dumb design, because the rubber does not press against the glass, so the tiny space makes for an annoying rattle. It seems to come and go with weather, so I don't really mind it so much as the car is generally pretty quiet.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Advanced

YEP TECWORLD IS PROB CORRECT ON THIS ONE !!!! I FORGOT THAT PIECE !!! kinda tired from being in the trunk .lol pressing on the window would prb quite it as mentioned...... THE PIECE SNAPS OFF .. 4 clips holding it ... cuases some nasty vibs!!! ... I used a thin piece of sponge shaped like the piece (all good now)...DYNAMAT cost about 130.00 . for a whole trunk kit of extreme.. all tabs in the trunk are to remove .. not to ruin this thread .. u can PM for futher info ....
Old 10-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Try this. It works.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97028
Old 10-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Advanced

novice's fix and the breaklight area .. will resolve most rattles (believed to come from sub area).. as for the rear deck fix .. in my case I had to add foam to the top as well .. near the rear of the deck press down.. u will see it move(touches the rear window) .. this causes rattles ... also when I say foam/sponge ..I mean weather stripping for (home doors/windows) .... FYI the dealer prob won't fix your rattle & butcher your car .....
Old 10-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xboylive
novice's fix and the breaklight area .. will resolve most rattles (believed to come from sub area).. as for the rear deck fix .. in my case I had to add foam to the top as well .. near the rear of the deck press down.. u will see it move(touches the rear window) .. this causes rattles ... also when I say foam/sponge ..I mean weather stripping for (home doors/windows) .... FYI the dealer prob won't fix your rattle & butcher your car .....
Amen!