Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear deck buzzes like a mofo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear deck buzzes like a mofo.

The rear deck in my TL seems uneven to me. The right side seems a bit higher than the left. Is it supposed to be this way?

I'll take a pic of it as soon as I can. My sister took my digicam.

Anyway, when I play a song that has strong bass, the rear deck starts to buzz like crazy. I don't even have the bass up or the sub up. They are all at defaults.

Has anyone had this problem? Did you take it to the dealer? Were they able to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Team SSM

Same here with the buzzzzz and most of the rear decks are higher on the left.. My dealer has no clue why either..
Old 06-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro

So have you tried to get your buzz fixed by the dealer?

If so, whats the verdict?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro

Here is the pic
Old 06-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro

If you can't see the first one, maybe this will be better.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

dude, mine's just like that! ithought it was messed up.

sigh, i miss my car
Old 06-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Wtf???
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Mine is like that as well. After an eight day visit to the dealer, to fix many rattles, the deck doesn't rattle. There are still rattles elsewhere in the car still.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Instructor

Do you know how they fixed it?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to know also, i hear the buzz sitting at idle. i usually turn the radio on to silence it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
The rear deck in my TL seems uneven to me. The right side seems a bit higher than the left. Is it supposed to be this way?
Dude, my rear deck is exactly like that. I guess I'm not the only one! I'd mentioned it to the dealer and they said it shouldn't be like that but I haven't had a chance to take it in for them to look at it.

Anyone else gotten this uneveness fixed?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Team WD Vice-President

My rear deck is also like that, but I don't have any of the buzzing problems. I have the bass and the sub all the way up too.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro

What kind of music do you play?

I play music that has alot of bass. Have you tried track 21 on the DVD-A demo disc? Missy Elliot gets my rear deck Buzzing like an attack of the killer bees.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:33 AM
SOLD

Bass

I listen to musci with alot of bass as well, and I see what you mean. You can understand that with a subwoofer there will be some vibration, but at the same time you think Acura would have addressed this with all their "sound dampening" and such they did to this car....
Old 06-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Team WD Vice-President

What kind of music do you play?

I play music that has alot of bass. Have you tried track 21 on the DVD-A demo disc? Missy Elliot gets my rear deck Buzzing like an attack of the killer bees.
The demo disk works great without any buzzing. I play everything from rap, R&B, pop, jazz, classical. Even when I'm playing the Staind DVD-A I have. I have not heard a thing. My VIN is 41***.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro

Well, I've made an appointment with my dealer (Curry), to have this looked at. The appointment is for the 15th so it is quite a bit away.

I will update you guys on the status after the dealer visit.

Keep the comments coming on this though.
Can others let us know if your rear deck looks as f*cked up as mine?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Advanced

mine is exactly the same!!! i thought it was only mine.. i was planning on telling my dealer when i get my oil changed -

Well, I've made an appointment with my dealer (Curry), to have this looked at. The appointment is for the 15th so it is quite a bit away.

I will update you guys on the status after the dealer visit.

Keep the comments coming on this though.
Can others let us know if your rear deck looks as f*cked up as mine?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:43 PM
100k miles club

me too but it doesn't rattle constantly. enough to notice though
Old 06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Sigh, yep, mine has the slant as well.... something else they can fix if it isn't normal when they fix the 3rd deck rattle...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Time for you to take that puppy to Newark, NJ and leave the keys in it and walk away.

Originally Posted by Norse396
Sigh, yep, mine has the slant as well.... something else they can fix if it isn't normal when they fix the 3rd deck rattle...
Old 06-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

I'll take a pic of it as soon as I can. My sister took my digicam.

Anyway, when I play a song that has strong bass, the rear deck starts to buzz like crazy. I don't even have the bass up or the sub up. They are all at defaults.

Has anyone had this problem? Did you take it to the dealer? Were they able to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, I had the problem, but my deck has been level the entire time. I would get horrible buzzing playing some music with strong bass, even with volume on 8-10 and bass at +4 and sub at +4. 2 trips and 4 days in shop I finally told dealer to screw the deck down. 5 screws, 3 hidden behind the rear seats and then 2, one on either side of sub. They used Screw caps form an NSX, painted them to match the deck color and it looks like it came form the factory this way. Now I rarely get any buzzing, just once in a while at certain frequency that I am sure is the new harmonic of the deck screwed to the under support. The nice thing is I can tighten or lossen the screws and experiment to find best adjustment. The dealer took the sample CD I made and tried 4 other new TLs and all buzzed, so I suspect most will. They loved my sample CD so much they asked me to make copies since it really showed off the buzzing and helped them fix other TLs.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Time for you to take that puppy to Newark, NJ and leave the keys in it and walk away.
You stole my idea, car theft capitol of the country, I used to live up in NJ, I have been tempted to drive my TL up there, park it in NEwark and go visit my parent for a few days, hell don't even need to leave the keys, just leave the car unlocked it will be gone in a day.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Hey...my TL is like this too. The slant doesn't bother me as much as the freaking buzzing. It's so embarrassing when you try to show off how good your DVD-A sound system should be and all you get is a lot of buzzing. It sounds like the speaker busted. I'm taking my car in soon for another service and I'll ask them to check out the no-can-do-bass-boom.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my TL tonite and popped in my Blue Man Group DVD-A to show off to my friends...

You'd a thought a bee's nest was in my trunk :ar15:

On the plus side, under normal driving conditions it's fine. So, I'll have my service dept. look at it at the 1st time I'm in.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Pro

So has anyone else had this problem addressed by a dealer yet besides KeithL?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Can some one tell me how to get a imgae in your post? I have tried the Insert Image thing, it asks for an http address which I give it and it still won't do it.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro

If you have the pics hosted somewhere, this is how to have it show.

([img]link[/img])

Put it in that format less the parenthesis.

That should do it for you.

BTW, I think I found the pic you wanted to post. Here it is.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

My experience with the back decklid rattle

I too had this same problem in my first TL and took it in for it's first service visit to have this along with other issues looked at. Well, when I got the car back they explained that in the design of the decklid, the Acura engineers built the subwoopher rubber wall to low so the subwoofer comes up and vibrates against the plastic speaker lid. This creates the vibrating/buzzing noise we hear.

The dealership's service team tried to fix mine and this was the beginning of my disaster. They took out my back seats, decklid, rear side panels and did damage in the process. I have the camel interior so needless to say when I picked up the car, it was coated in greasy smudge marks and even the leather seats were cut and damaged. The headliner was also damaged in the rear portion of the car. They did not take care of the care while they were servicing it. Needless to say, 3 months later after having to address this with to Acura corporate about the damage and the dealership not being responsive, Acura delivered me a brand new car to replace the damaged one. Acura still hasn't addressed the speaker buzz because I am still getting it. In my dealing with the regional executive from Acura he told me there should be a fix for the decklid. I haven't had a chance to follow up since then to verify.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Follow up

Originally Posted by talk2kirb
I too had this same problem in my first TL and took it in for it's first service visit to have this along with other issues looked at. Well, when I got the car back they explained that in the design of the decklid, the Acura engineers built the subwoopher rubber wall to low so the subwoofer comes up and vibrates against the plastic speaker lid. This creates the vibrating/buzzing noise we hear.

The dealership's service team tried to fix mine and this was the beginning of my disaster. They took out my back seats, decklid, rear side panels and did damage in the process. I have the camel interior so needless to say when I picked up the car, it was coated in greasy smudge marks and even the leather seats were cut and damaged. The headliner was also damaged in the rear portion of the car. They did not take care of the care while they were servicing it. Needless to say, 3 months later after having to address this with to Acura corporate about the damage and the dealership not being responsive, Acura delivered me a brand new car to replace the damaged one. Acura still hasn't addressed the speaker buzz because I am still getting it. In my dealing with the regional executive from Acura he told me there should be a fix for the decklid. I haven't had a chance to follow up since then to verify.

Please do follow up! Inquiring minds want to know. Are you kidding about your car being replaced?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

No. There was no joke or punt intended in my previous experience. I don't wish that upon anyone. However, I enjoy my TL it was just a bad situation with the dealership service team. And the dealership dropped the ball on fixing what they did to the car so Acura Corporate got involved and let's just say they salvaged the Acura image for me by stepping in where the dealership could not. They in turn made a bad situation good. Mind you, I still don't have my rattle fixed because it still makes noise, but I LOVE my TL. It's a beauty!

In case anyone was wondering, the dealership was Ed Voyles Acura. I had the worst experience in dealing with the General Manager, Bill Stout. He would tell Acura corporate one thing and me another. He even threatened me when I requested him to take the car back as a last resort by telling me, "You don't want to go down this path with me." Furthermore, he even told me it wasn't his job to communicate with his service team to keep up to date on resolving my issue. It wasn't until I wrote the CEO and VP of Honda Motor Company and met in person with a PROFESSIONAL Acura representative that the ball started rolling. He too was disappointed at what the dealership had done to my car along with why I got pushed around by the dealership with no resolution. He also couldn't believe the timeline of my situation as I kept very detailed records of every agreement and communication between the dealership and myself. Buyers beware!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:32 AM
8th Gear

i think i have the same buzz as all you guys - track 21 on the demo disc, especially in the beginning parts of the song, really make it rattle back there...

anyway, i think i found out where it's coming from. for all you guys with this problem, try playing something that causes the rattle...and then play the same song, but open the trunk...if the rattle goes away, your rattle is probably coming from the same source as mine.

the source of the rattle for me is in the liner that's under the trunk lid. for me, if you open the trunk and just lightly tap the trunk lid liner (the felty stuff on the underside of the lid) towards the bottom of the trunk lid (like, where it's close to the back windshield if you the trunk were closed), you'll hear that it taps against the metal part of the trunk...the liner doesn't seem to be screwed on completely tight to the actual trunk lid. and so, when you close the trunk and play the music, the speakers vibrate that trunk liner up to the trunk lid and thereby causing the rattle...i THINK that's what's causing the rattle for me...and possibly for all you guys too.

anyway, i'm taking the car into the dealership on monday and explaining to them the situation. hopefully they can fix it. when i brought it in last time and they weren't able to fix it, they suggested that i leave the car for a couple days so they could take the back seat out and get into it...i told them i'd think about it (i'd rather not let anyway tear out the back seat of a brand new car).
Old 06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro

Well my car is at the dealer today being worked on to get the rattles, buzzes and an oil change taken care of. I will let you guys know if they got the rattles and buzzes fixed.

This is my second time in with the car because the first time, they found out that my passenger window was rattling when partly open because the regulator was loose. So, they ordered a new one for me and they are going to install it for me today.

As a side note, I got a TSX as a loaner and boy am I glad I got a TL instead. I was gonna go for the TSX originally but I see much better now how underpowered the TSX is compared to the TL. One thing I do like about it though is it handles better. I was able to toss it around with less body roll.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by talk2kirb
No. There was no joke or punt intended in my previous experience. I don't wish that upon anyone. However, I enjoy my TL it was just a bad situation with the dealership service team. And the dealership dropped the ball on fixing what they did to the car so Acura Corporate got involved and let's just say they salvaged the Acura image for me by stepping in where the dealership could not. They in turn made a bad situation good. Mind you, I still don't have my rattle fixed because it still makes noise, but I LOVE my TL. It's a beauty!

In case anyone was wondering, the dealership was Ed Voyles Acura. I had the worst experience in dealing with the General Manager, Bill Stout. He would tell Acura corporate one thing and me another. He even threatened me when I requested him to take the car back as a last resort by telling me, "You don't want to go down this path with me." Furthermore, he even told me it wasn't his job to communicate with his service team to keep up to date on resolving my issue. It wasn't until I wrote the CEO and VP of Honda Motor Company and met in person with a PROFESSIONAL Acura representative that the ball started rolling. He too was disappointed at what the dealership had done to my car along with why I got pushed around by the dealership with no resolution. He also couldn't believe the timeline of my situation as I kept very detailed records of every agreement and communication between the dealership and myself. Buyers beware!
Hey, try Acura Carland in Norcross, they have been great with my car.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks Kieth L for the recommendation on the dealership! Has anyone tried Nalley Acura service? How are they?

-Kirby
Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Cruisin'

Well my car is at the dealer today being worked on to get the rattles, buzzes and an oil change taken care of. I will let you guys know if they got the rattles and buzzes fixed.

This is my second time in with the car because the first time, they found out that my passenger window was rattling when partly open because the regulator was loose. So, they ordered a new one for me and they are going to install it for me today.

As a side note, I got a TSX as a loaner and boy am I glad I got a TL instead. I was gonna go for the TSX originally but I see much better now how underpowered the TSX is compared to the TL. One thing I do like about it though is it handles better. I was able to toss it around with less body roll.
Hukash,

Good luck. I will look forward to your follow up post!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:50 AM
2nd Gear

I've been able to track down the rear deck buzzing noise to the 3rd brake light. Seems the rubber seal doesn't prevent the plastic of the housing from vibrating on the window with bumps or, more often, loud bass. Play a CD with bass, head to the back and push the 3rd brake light up against the glass. If that stops the buzzing just put some black foam there - it worked for me.

As for the liner in the trunk, that is most likely the rear seat belt retractor rattle which there is a TSB on I believe (also had that fixed).

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Pro

Well I went to the dealer to pick up my baby last night and they told me they found the source of my rear deck buzz. They said it was coming from the center seat belt actuator. They said that they didn't have the part on hand and will have it overnighted. I'll be picking up the car on thursday morning.

They also got rid of a rattle on my passenger door that rattled when partly open. They said it was a faulty regulator. They replaced that.

So far, so good. I hope when I pick up the car, it will at least be without that damn rear deck buzz. Wish me luck boyz. I will update you guys again on Thursday.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Advanced

HuKasHi-do you mean when your door was party open or your window? Explain the noise you heard. Good luck.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro

I meant when the window was partially down. They said that the regulator for the window was faulty.

I called them earlier today and they told me they fixed the buzz in the rear deck as well.
They also said they heard some rattling in the center console and was checking it out. I never experienced a rattle from there but what impresses me is that they checked it out for themselves. They actually went further than asked to satisfy me.

I reccomend Curry Acura not only for their excellent sales department but now also their outstanding service department.

Now I really don't know if in fact the rear deck buzz is gone since I haven't picked up my car yet. All I know is if it is still there, Curry Acura will do whatever it takes to get rid of it.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Wow...that's great. That must make you feel good. The service department at my Acura dealer seems very attentive but I haven't approached them about rattles yet. Keep us posted on your results.

Quick Reply: Rear deck buzzes like a mofo.