Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air and Heat not working right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Air and Heat not working right?

I don't get any heat or cool air out of the rear vents when I have the climate control set to automatic (even when air is pumping out from the front vents on cold mornings). When I change the modes to either the upper vents or upper and lower vents, I get the air coming out of the rear vents. Is this what everyone else is experiencing and is this what it is supposed to do?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rear Air and Heat not working right?

Originally posted by JBRedZ28
I don't get any heat or cool air out of the rear vents when I have the climate control set to automatic (even when air is pumping out from the front vents on cold mornings). When I change the modes to either the upper vents or upper and lower vents, I get the air coming out of the rear vents. Is this what everyone else is experiencing and is this what it is supposed to do?
Hmmmm, the manual doesn't say anything about the rear vents.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 AM
Banned

In auto when its cold the car automatically defaults to "Floor" the rear vents are hooked up to the dashboard vents. If you want warm air to blow out the rear vents you have to select "Bilevel". Note the fact that warm air is not coming out of the rear vents does not mean heat is not making its way back there, there are "Floor" vents under the seat. Unfortunately the TL does not have rear heaters, which would be a welcomed addition.
My kids complain of cold leather in the winter.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

thanks vtechbrain,

I do seem to remember that when it was warm outside and the automatic climate was pumping out cool air from the dash vents, the rear vents were doing the same. I didn't realize that the heating in car used a different approach (the floor, etc.)
Old 12-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Banned

Enjoy your new wheels.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JBRedZ28
thanks vtechbrain,

I do seem to remember that when it was warm outside and the automatic climate was pumping out cool air from the dash vents, the rear vents were doing the same. I didn't realize that the heating in car used a different approach (the floor, etc.)
I nothiced also.

Actually, now that it is cold, when set on AUTO.. heat comes from but I ALSO get some heat bloweing from the front driver side and passenger side vent (but NOT the middle ones).

Nothing wrong with the vents, they all work fine when I put fan up.. this happens on auto with heat only.

Anyone else notice that... not that I am complaining because it heats the car up good.

Mike
Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

The air comming out of the window vents is sort of like a passive defroster for where your side mirrors are. Feel up on the dash, should be air headed toward the windows where you look through them.

Heat rises out of the vents on the floor in the rear as well as the front. But you always have the Bi-level option if your passengers in the rear need to feel the heat on the faces.

Reason Auto choses floor, other then heat rising fast in cold air, but my 98 friends 98 expidition does the same thing with the heater on auto i think its industry standard.