Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really bad blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really bad blown head gasket

Hey Guys? Quick question, so my sister drove my car to Vegas for EDC and she blew my head gasket going up the hill. Idk whether or not I should get the whole engine replaced bc when I towed the car to Vegas, the mechanic there said that the radiator coolant started to leak into the pistons and totally destroy the engine, at the same time, I felt like he was lying bc I do know a little about my car and he overpriced me up to 4k, so I asked my uncle, and he was like, that dude is BS'ing bc that's too much. But I'm not sure what I sure do, get it replaced or get a head gasket job. And I'm about 140xxx miles in.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
You can find a perfectly good condition used engine for 500-1000. You can also have it installed by someone for 500-1000. Way cheaper than what that guy was charging.

We cant diagnose your engine without seeing it. Just because there is radiator fluid mixed in there, doesnt necessarily mean it's wrecked. We dont have enough specifics to say one way or another.

Just get a new, used engine.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

EDC!!! Untz untz untz untz untz
Old 08-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
You can find a perfectly good condition used engine for 500-1000. You can also have it installed by someone for 500-1000. Way cheaper than what that guy was charging.

We cant diagnose your engine without seeing it. Just because there is radiator fluid mixed in there, doesnt necessarily mean it's wrecked. We dont have enough specifics to say one way or another.

Just get a new, used engine.
Exactly, and it's hard to value the engine until you have torn it down and spec'd it out. My two cents would also be just put another used engine in, try to find the newest, best looking, low mileage engine that has been stored properly and has the history of the doner car available. It's a very common engine so it won't cost much. I had a similar thing done on an accord and it came out to less than $2000 all said and done.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Oh and pro tip: Do not, under any circumstance, ever, never, ever put one of those quick fix "coolant stop leak" goopy bullshit green fuckin pill popper liquid cement making radiator blockage inducing crap products in any car, ever. They will block up the coolant passages in the engine and it makes rebuilding things sooo much more work.