Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Readjusting headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Readjusting headlights

do you guys readjust your headlight when u lower iyour car?
i notice the difference when i lower my car...
if u did adjust it, how far would u go up to not blind people?
fyi: i lower 1"
The following users liked this post:
bluetl04 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I lowered mine recently, and I too have noticed that the headlights are off angle.

Reason is cuz the rear is lower than the front.

I'm not gonna readjust them, but if you want just put it up to a wall your supposed to be 25 ft away, or something and adjust to some height.

Just to keep it level, what you should do, like I did when I cleared my headlights is just make sure the bottoms are level, so that one light does not seem "brighter" than the other. Cuz that looks badd
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The headlights need to be precisly aimed- especially if you upgraded the bulbs.
The left side sits down and in to protect oncoming drivers eyes from blindness.
The right side goes a bit right and farther up to see the edge of the road and pedestrians

Take it to a shop the does Headlight Certification- thats for salvage title cars getting licensed again, so they know exactly what to do.
They will do a quick check and proper adjustment for 20-30 bucks.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
The headlights need to be precisly aimed- especially if you upgraded the bulbs.
The left side sits down and in to protect oncoming drivers eyes from blindness.
The right side goes a bit right and farther up to see the edge of the road and pedestrians

Take it to a shop the does Headlight Certification- thats for salvage title cars getting licensed again, so they know exactly what to do.
They will do a quick check and proper adjustment for 20-30 bucks.
This is not true...
Please review the posted service manual headlight aiming guidelines in the 3G garage.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

Kennedy-
while some of us are well equipped and qualified to work on our cars, sometimes the ~tone~ of the OP makes it seem that some jobs are best left to professionals.
The 2nd poster then gave a non answer for advice that included bad advice~

If you have to ask if something can be done, it may be above your skill level.
Are the brake pads-rotors-caliper swaps easy to you and me?- yes
Would the same job mystify someone who has others install their shocks and mods?
There are drivers, and there are owner-techs.
Even though I can get my lights close with the new housings and 6k bulbs, I am still taking it to a pro for a final check up. Better they are perfect, than you have a roadside discussion with the local law about your interpreation of the headlight height and aim laws-
yes- there are laws in the state driver handbook about headlight aim and useage/distance.
These HID lights are putting out WAY more voltage power than most other cars- have you ever been hi beamed and you are on the lows!- Of course, our high beam only adds to the low, not replace it

Ca has stepped up is program of LE bothering modded cars- (looking for stolen parts/cars/and illegal mods-several ziners had to go back to stock, and then see Referee to get smogged again)
one easy check for them is the headlight bulb must be 22 inches off the ground- thats a Federal standard. Lowered civics are way below that.

If you are in doubt on proper adjustment- have a shop do it. They dont just turn on the lights and look at the wall- they clamp devices onto the housings and take angles and dangles and gonculations and turn the srewdriver till the dots on the machine line up.
Technology~ who would have thought it could be used for Good~
Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Just stick a phillips screwdriver into the hole in the headlight, Turn to the right headlight goes up, turn to the left headlight goes down. Simple as that
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Kennedy-
while some of us are well equipped and qualified to work on our cars, sometimes the ~tone~ of the OP makes it seem that some jobs are best left to professionals.

Would the same job mystify someone who has others install their shocks and mods?
Even though I can get my lights close with the new housings and 6k bulbs, I am still taking it to a pro for a final check up. Better they are perfect, than you have a roadside discussion with the local law about your interpreation of the headlight height and aim laws-
yes- there are laws in the state driver handbook about headlight aim and useage/distance.
These HID lights are putting out WAY more voltage power than most other cars- have you ever been hi beamed and you are on the lows!- Of course, our high beam only adds to the low, not replace it

Ca has stepped up is program of LE bothering modded cars- (looking for stolen parts/cars/and illegal mods-several ziners had to go back to stock, and then see Referee to get smogged again)
one easy check for them is the headlight bulb must be 22 inches off the ground- thats a Federal standard. Lowered civics are way below that.

If you are in doubt on proper adjustment- have a shop do it. They dont just turn on the lights and look at the wall- they clamp devices onto the housings and take angles and dangles and gonculations and turn the srewdriver till the dots on the machine line up.
Who told you they put machines up?!!! Someone lied to you!! in The midwest at least they put the car 25ft away from a straight wall and adjust/measure/adjust.

Very basic, no machines to check angles and dangles
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Kennedy-

Not questioning any of that...

Those "clamp devices" are bit old school. I've never seen those work on anyhting but a truck that has adjusters accessible from the headlight face.

It takes a tape measure and big phillips screwdriver to get you "safety inspection passing" close though. Virginia has arguaby the worst nanny state inspections, and my haphazzard attempt at aiming headlight, using the above tools, 4+ beers, and the service manual posts in the 3G garage... and I passed inspection.

I intentionally aimed them mildy higher BTW (beam is 1" lower at 25ft, not 2.1), amd I still passed, I've never been flashed, and I have probably the brightest headlights on the forum (ZKW lenses, Phillps 85122+ 4300K -about 400 lumens brighter than stock). I figure I can getaway with this, as the ZKW lens cutoff is so razor sharp, theres' no stray light to harass oncomers.

Your description is incorrect according to the service manual. The right headlight is not oriented higher. That's a typical halogen headlight setup aiming procedure My wife Odyssey is that way.

If you can turn a screwdriver, you can PROPERLY adjsut your headlights.

Allow me to desribe.

Measure as accurately as possible, 25ft from your headlight lens to a wall - on a leverl surface.

Measure distance from headlight lens to ground

Insert screwdriver and turn until bottom cutoff line is 2.1" LOWER than measurement above. Both headlights are measured at the same height.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...adlight+aiming

I fully concur with "if you can't handle it, take it to a pro"... but this is the "pro" procedure. No newfangled machine, just a screwdriver and a tape measure.

I'm getting a beer.
dannyz (02-16-2013)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Your thread is being moved from the Performance Parts & Modifications subforum into the main 3GTL forum. Please read the rules before posting in this subforum. The rules can be found here: https://acurazine.com/forums/announc...nouncementid=7
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Just stick a phillips screwdriver into the hole in the headlight, Turn to the right headlight goes up, turn to the left headlight goes down. Simple as that
very simple. just need a philips screwdriver.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by sifuacura
do you guys readjust your headlight when u lower iyour car?
i notice the difference when i lower my car...
if u did adjust it, how far would u go up to not blind people?
fyi: i lower 1"
FWIW - the Acura A-Spec susp instructions I saw included head light adjustment after the car was lowered.

I too have noticed that the headlights don't have the same throw after lowering and need to bring mine up a bit. I just don't have a wall AND 25' AND a level surface all in one place.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

back in the day when I worked at a shop- we had the stick on type gauge thing.
Technology has once again passed this 'ol dinosaur by.

A good place to find room and flat is a shopping center parking lot at night.
Buildings make great walls, you can take a tape measure and put duct tape mark on the wall- and get perfect distance to car.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Wrong! headlight goes down when turned to right, when turned to left it goes up. I just did mine!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
back in the day when I worked at a shop- we had the stick on type gauge thing.
Technology has once again passed this 'ol dinosaur by.

A good place to find room and flat is a shopping center parking lot at night.
Buildings make great walls, you can take a tape measure and put duct tape mark on the wall- and get perfect distance to car.
who cares when it doesnt make a difference what you use...why would anyone use a machine when a wall does just as well
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
Ressurections.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
I to was wondering the same thing. Ever since i put my coils on and being lowered about 2.5 inches, my headlights seem like they dont light up the road like they used to. Im gonna have to adjust them...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Thanks Kennedy, I'll go raise mine a bit tomorrow night.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 776 Likes on 474 Posts
What I find funny about the spec is the third point before step one to have someone sitting in the driver's seat... Don't you think that's a little odd?? If a 150-175# driver makes a difference in headlight adjustment, what will the impact be if there's a passenger or a full load?

I set mine to be 1" below level (with no driver) at 25'. But with my old classic cars, I align them like 01tl4tl describes. FWIW.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
where is the place to stick the screwdriver?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by simran4h
where is the place to stick the screwdriver?
If you still have your engine bay covered with the plastic panels, there is a hole on the piece that covers the battery and another hole on the piece covering the windshield reservoir. If not, it's a little harder to see, but the holes are located near the edge where the fenders mount onto the frame of the car.
simran4h (02-18-2013)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound stupid and maybe I missed it somewhere but what size phillips did you use a #2 or #3