Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattles in the paasenger compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rattles in the paasenger compartment

from the day i picked up my tl, it has had a rattle around the intrument stack or the glove box. i have been back to the dealer a number of times, they have gotten the factory tech involved, but every time i am on a rough road it sounds like the car is ready to fall apart.....any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=glove+rattle

According to rets, Acura knows how to fix it (a screw needs to be tightended or something). My fix is just temporary. But, at least you can point out the problem area to your service guy if the above description applies to you. I know how annoying this noise can be.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Advanced

We're in the same boat, although our rattles are in the overhead center console, the instrument cluster, driver side window and rear headliner. I dread driving over bumpy roads.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rattlessssssssss JOY!

But, welcome to the forums. Hopefully it will be fixed. Post pics of your car! Did you get nav? 5AT or 6MT?

(I am taking this from somebody I know.......)
How many techs does it take acura to screw in a lightbulb?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
rattlessssssssss JOY!

But, welcome to the forums. Hopefully it will be fixed. Post pics of your car! Did you get nav? 5AT or 6MT?

(I am taking this from somebody I know.......)
How many techs does it take acura to screw in a lightbulb?
None, they have to get a regional service manager involved and then wait 6 months to issue a TSB.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have one (when it's cold) that shows up somewhere around or to the left of the instrument cluster. Any ideas?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

50 techs are required..... 1 to screw it in 49 to deny the rattle exists
Old 01-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I have one (when it's cold) that shows up somewhere around or to the left of the instrument cluster. Any ideas?

Actually, I had a rattle like that a couple days ago...and I thought it was to the left of the cluster...but it ended up being the plastic piece just above teh drivers feet.... if you get down and look...

it was just a loose part... probably not the same as yours though...

mine was because i had pulled that out in order to install somethings...and i must not have secured it properly... it is fine now
Old 01-15-2005, 12:29 PM
mio
Police

rattlessssssssss JOY!
lol
Old 01-15-2005, 12:30 PM
mio
Police

anyone know how to fix the rattle in the centre console?

or the dealer know how to fix it?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Talking And don't forget . . .

50 techs are required..... 1 to screw it in 49 to deny the rattle exists
And 1 ACS representitive to claim you are being "too sensitive" . . . .
Old 01-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sftroy
And 1 ACS representitive to claim you are being "too sensitive" . . . .
so true
Old 01-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To vikrampatel;

I just now got back from a short drive after changing my oil and I tried to isolate this rattle. My initial assessment seems to put it around the left tweeter, close to the bottom of the windshield. I need to fashion a stethescope with a long flexible tube to do a better job.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

In December I took a test drive with the Acura Regional Manager and although he confirmed hearing rattles near the top of the glovebox on the panel and around the steering column, he tried to convince me that the rattles existed in all of the tls. He said that these rattles were difficult to isolate and that he wouldn't want the techs to try and fix because they may create more rattles by taking the components apart. He suggested that I listen to the radio to drone out the noises .

I argued with the rep for 15 minutes saying that it's not acceptable for a $35,000 car to have such poor interior qulaity control. I also stated that the technicians should not ignore the obvious rattles and hope that I drop the issue. He finally told me to schedule a long test drive with the dealer's technician, which I have scheduled for Monday the 17th.

The rattles that really bug me (even with the radio on) are the steering column, right dashboard near the glovebox and both front door/window popping noises. I'm not expecting much, but I will still fight for it.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To vikrampatel;

I just now got back from a short drive after changing my oil and I tried to isolate this rattle. My initial assessment seems to put it around the left tweeter, close to the bottom of the windshield. I need to fashion a stethescope with a long flexible tube to do a better job.

Hmm.... deffinately not the same as mine. I say just take it to the dealer... and make sure everybody with these rattles gets documentation saying the dealer at least attempted repairs... all else fails, file under lemon law... but if possible, wait as close to the 2006 model year and ask for a replacement with 06' model
Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Melny: I agree it is BS... same with my previous post just above...keep all docs, file under lemon law if needed. I would threaten that to them and they will deffinately attempt to fix the car.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:33 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
First thing.....EMPTY OUT EVERYTHING FROM THE BINS and COMPARTMENTS. Drive the car and after this and see if the rattle is still there. What I thought was a rattle ended up being a pair of sunglasses I forgot about in the bottom storage compartment. The TL is so quiet that you hear these little noises.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

hmm i think I got that too
Old 01-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

I was having this issue starting from Dec. 03, and my 1st dealer tried at least 5 times. Rattle was nonstop.

If I emtpy out everything, I got less chance to get "rattle". So I put 2 "bricks" in and test-drive again, I got more rattle than "empty". In my case, the weight on the glovebox and abmient temperature are the main factors to cause the "rattle".

Both 1st dealer and I had done numerous tries to remove it, including all screws, put the different padding into varied locations. Not good. I called ACS twice per month, between Dec. 03 and May. 04, ([u]I bet this is the reason why I do not get my FREE Navi DVD update[/b]), ACS finally suggested me to try another dealer. Then, I did and that 2nd dealer apparently found the way to fix this rattle for me. Amazing...

However, I still have no idea how they made this job done.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

rets... can you ask them? tell them there are a lot of people struggling with the same issues... i dont see why they wouldnt tell you.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
I was having this issue starting from Dec. 03, and my 1st dealer tried at least 5 times. Rattle was nonstop.

If I emtpy out everything, I got less chance to get "rattle". So I put 2 "bricks" in and test-drive again, I got more rattle than "empty". In my case, the weight on the glovebox and abmient temperature are the main factors to cause the "rattle".

Both 1st dealer and I had done numerous tries to remove it, including all screws, put the different padding into varied locations. Not good. I called ACS twice per month, between Dec. 03 and May. 04, ([u]I bet this is the reason why I do not get my FREE Navi DVD update[/b]), ACS finally suggested me to try another dealer. Then, I did and that 2nd dealer apparently found the way to fix this rattle for me. Amazing...

However, I still have no idea how they made this job done.
I know this is off topic but RETS, whats up with a "free Navi DVD upgrade"..? Are you joking or is this something I overlooked.... I'll take one for my 04 if their offering :-)
As for the glove box rattle, I'm damn good at finding most of them but I have yet to figure out what one would think would be "an easy one".... Mine doesn't happen all the time, but it's there.

Let me know on the DVD....

Thanks all
Old 01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I know this is off topic but RETS, whats up with a "free Navi DVD upgrade"..? Are you joking or is this something I overlooked.... I'll take one for my 04 if their offering :-)
As for the glove box rattle, I'm damn good at finding most of them but I have yet to figure out what one would think would be "an easy one".... Mine doesn't happen all the time, but it's there.

Let me know on the DVD....

Thanks all

check the bluetooth/navi section of the forum... there is a thread about this...some select people rcvd it.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

KJSmitty,

vikrampatel is correct. Please check this. That thread has been brought up alive again
Old 01-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

rets... can you ask them? tell them there are a lot of people struggling with the same issues... i dont see why they wouldnt tell you.
What they told me was to remove all dozens of screws and re-assemble with new screws and two clips. Will try to figure out more details in next visit.

Novice, that's exactly where my rattle came from... and I did the exactly the same treatment/actions as you have done. In my case, it held out for 3 months, then, it started to make noisy again. It rattled 'cause the screws wouldn't be able to tight it up anymore, and the gap was getting bigger after I opened it on/off a few times later.

Finally, I took a trip to my new dealer and they replaced all the screws insides and outsides, so far, I have no rattle from there... (I still don't know what is difference btwn old/new screws.)
Old 01-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

IMO... 3 main factors: fins, screws, and two top clips...

What they told me was to remove all screws and re-assemble with new screws and clips. Will try to figure out more details in next visit.

Hmm. Interesting... I can see the new clips thing...maybe one or two clips broke when it was assmebled in ohio... and they caused the rattle... but I don't know how loud the rattle was to even guess... just a thought.

Thanks rets