Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle of the Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle of the Subwoofer?

Does anyone have the same problem as i have?
It is stock..how do i fix it and how to i take it out?
If it's messed up...i want to replace the subwoofer too

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:18 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i highly doubt its the actual subwoofer. its most likely the rear dash that touches the window.

heres a tip... use the search button =)
Old 01-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Racer

im getting that checked out tommrow morning
let u know what happens
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Sakuragi
Does anyone have the same problem as i have?
It is stock..how do i fix it and how to i take it out?
If it's messed up...i want to replace the subwoofer too

Thanks!

If you search back through posts I made about 8 months ago you'll see I had a horrible time getting mine fixed. It is the back deck virbating against the undelying metal. They did a horrible job of securing the back deck and insulatin it form the metal decking underneath. I had my car in numerous times finally I told them to screw the deck down. The guy did a great job using 5 screws, 3 are hidden by the backs of the rear seats and then 2 (1 on either side of sub, see photo in link) and he used screw caps and sprayed them the color of the back deck. They look liek they came from the factory. Deck has been virtually quite now for over 6 months. Also had an issue withthe trucnk lid torsion rods banging againsts each other, they put some rubber pieces between them and stapped them togthers to fix that. Also the Center sopt light cover tends to vibrate agaisnt the rear window, it just pulls off so I added soem rubber bumpers to that and put some padding where it snaps in to prevent it from moving so much. And finally the dash squeaks like crazy so I got 5/8" round caulk saver foam insualtion in gray and inserted it between the dash and windshield, that seems to have solved 95% of the squeaky dash.

http://www.pbase.com/kluken/image/29690241
Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=34

You can do the first description on your own if you prefer.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Pro

I can say that there can be a different problem.

I was just in to have my rear deack rattle fixed. After they applied the TSB fixes, they let me listen. Although about 80-90% of the rattle had disappeared, I could still hear the distinct rattle that was originally there. Now this was with the rear shelf taken off. This meant that the rattle was coming from the speakers themselves. Then we went through a series of trying to isolate which speaker was causing the trouble but we couldn't really.

I then took my car home and drove it around for the weekend to discover that it only happened with the subwoofer on. Now my guess is that the subwoofer has blown. I will take the car in again soon and have them replace the sub. Hopefully that will be the last time I take it in for the damn rear shelf.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I have been lurking in the background - not getting into these threads on rear-deck rattle cuz I have not done my homework.

But from what I have read - sounds like some people have a rattle with no music on at all and others have it when music is on?

I only have a problem when some of my heavier bass cd's or songs get turned up slightly loud (not blaring by any means)
Is that a Sub problem or is that a deck problem? Or impossible to tell unless I start feeling around etc.?

Just trying to avoid a dealer visit.

thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Pro

I sorry to say, If you get the rear deck rattle with music, you need to take it to the dealer so they can take it apart and get to the root of the problem. I always though my problem came from the rear shelf vibrating against the speakers or the rear glass. Turns out, the rattle was still there with the rear shelf taken off.

I would say, it is a possibility that you have what I have, a blown sub. Get it checked out, just to have peace of mind.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Advanced

If the rattle is caused when you're listening to heavy bass music, then the culprit is the back deck.

What I found was that the deck has clips that get pushed down onto the metal/aluminum plate that holds the speakers/subwoofer.

You can try and check to see if the back deck is secured to this plate. Try using your hands and push the deck down while playing bass music. You might notice that the rattle is gone. If so, push the back deck a bit harder to secure the clips.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

The Service Bulletin from Acura on Rear Shelf Rattles is # 04-043 , updated 12/22/04. My subwoofer creates the rattling sound when the temperature is cold. I put a small piece of cardboard between the plastic rear vent and the glass and it totally eliminated the rattle. I will have the rattle repaired by Acura when I get to the dealer. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I think self-help here makes a lot of sense. 1st, because no one will give your car the loving diagnostic and phys therapy it needs to be well. 2nd, vibration de-bugging can be a trial and eror thing, and who needs the hassle of multiple service appointments. If you have moderate handyman skills, you can solve this one yourself. I think riored is on to something - often a simple shim can solve the problem, which as has been noted varies with ambient temp and humidity. I have found that since it got in the teens here, all my little buzzes throughout the car have all but vanished. When the interior heated up from being parked in the sun, a few returned.

Although i agree that 95 of sub buzzing is mechanical, I have seen cases where it was electrical. People had the bass boost maxed out, and were driving the sub beyond its capability - amp clipping and/or bottoming of the voice coil when it leaves the safe operating area (SOA) of the magnetic flux field can cause gross distortion that sounds mechanical. Also, acoustic"doubling", where the distorted harmoinc(s)of the original audio signal are delivered rather than the fundamental, can sound like a buzz.

For mechanical isolation, I recommend getting some 3/8" VINYL acoustic foam window insulation, and running ti along the perimeter of the woofer frame. I used this on the woofers on my recently completed Orion project (www.linkwitzlab.com), and they can deliver very deep bass energy to the surrounding H-baffle, and the vinyl foam is used for seating the woof and the tweets (the mids actually are not bolted to tjhe baffle at all!!).
Old 01-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I think self-help here makes a lot of sense. 1st, because no one will give your car the loving diagnostic and phys therapy it needs to be well. 2nd, vibration de-bugging can be a trial and eror thing, and who needs the hassle of multiple service appointments. If you have moderate handyman skills, you can solve this one yourself. I think riored is on to something - often a simple shim can solve the problem, which as has been noted varies with ambient temp and humidity. I have found that since it got in the teens here, all my little buzzes throughout the car have all but vanished. When the interior heated up from being parked in the sun, a few returned.

Although i agree that 95 of sub buzzing is mechanical, I have seen cases where it was electrical. People had the bass boost maxed out, and were driving the sub beyond its capability - amp clipping and/or bottoming of the voice coil when it leaves the safe operating area (SOA) of the magnetic flux field can cause gross distortion that sounds mechanical. Also, acoustic"doubling", where the distorted harmoinc(s)of the original audio signal are delivered rather than the fundamental, can sound like a buzz.

For mechanical isolation, I recommend getting some 3/8" VINYL acoustic foam window insulation, and running ti along the perimeter of the woofer frame. I used this on the woofers on my recently completed Orion project (www.linkwitzlab.com), and they can deliver very deep bass energy to the surrounding H-baffle, and the vinyl foam is used for seating the woof and the tweets (the mids actually are not bolted to tjhe baffle at all!!).
dude , you are very informative but you make my head hurt. Can't you just talk in normal English so we don;t have to decifer it? This is not a criticisn because you obviously are an very intelligent guy but it would be easier for a lot of us if you can explain your suggestions in laymans terms without so much detail as to how things work and what a flux capacitor is! We don't care about that we just want things fixed!
Old 01-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in other words you want him to dumb it down for you.... Dude
Old 01-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I will dumb it down for you-just shove a freakin piece of foam or rolled electrical tape between the plastic grill and the lower plastic support to create some space. Trust me. It will work.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dashotgun
in other words you want him to dumb it down for you.... Dude
Umm, no, not for me...for everyone who is not a rocket scientist on this board or needs to be one to understand him. I canunderstand him just fine as I am quite capable and intelligent but there is no need for excessive details or hypothesis in order to fix a freaking rattle. A simple answer with a simple solution will suffice. By the time I am done reading how the defy Newtons law, i could have fixed it already
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by riored3
The Service Bulletin from Acura on Rear Shelf Rattles is # 04-043 , updated 12/22/04. My subwoofer creates the rattling sound when the temperature is cold. I put a small piece of cardboard between the plastic rear vent and the glass and it totally eliminated the rattle. I will have the rattle repaired by Acura when I get to the dealer. Hope this helps you out.
exactly my problem..when it's cold my rear deck rattles with my bass. how did you put that cardboard there exactly? Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

On full blast is this audio system/sub system (stock) capable of pissing of parents with little kids at red lights?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Now is that corrugated cardboard, or cereal box cardboard?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Cruisin'

The piece of cardboard was off of a cereal box. I neatly folded a small square, about 1" x 2" and wedged it in the center of the rear panel between the plastic grill and the glass window.So far ,so good. As mentioned before, Acura has a service bulletin on this problem. This is just a quick fix as I have to take the time to go to the dealer. Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by New2004AcuraTLman
dude , you are very informative but you make my head hurt. Can't you just talk in normal English so we don;t have to decifer it? This is not a criticisn because you obviously are an very intelligent guy but it would be easier for a lot of us if you can explain your suggestions in laymans terms without so much detail as to how things work and what a flux capacitor is! We don't care about that we just want things fixed!
Are you kidding me?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Im 15 and I think get what hes saying(had to turn off the music first). Its pretty simple(i think), just re read it more slowly if you dont understand. The flux coil and stuff all has to do with the speaker itself (or voice coil). Basically u over load it you get a crackling noise. If there is an electronic problem you can get a crackling noise. If you dont understand stuff you can also google it. You should also realize those in depth descriptions arent neccesary for you to fix it, just some extra info. Am I right?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

If you do a search for rear decklid rattles, you will find the actual bulletin from Acura that I provided for people on this forum.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

i had this same problem, and i brought my TL in to the dealer today for it. They said they were going to take care of it for me. hopefully they actually do! mine vibrates, but i don't think it's a blown sub, even though i only hear it when the sub is on. i actually believe that it's something hitting metal as another user posted earlier
Old 02-05-2005, 04:47 AM
10th Gear

UPDATE!!!!

just got my car back today, my dealership did an EXCELLENT JOB of fixing my sub (rear deck) rattle. at first, i thought the rattle was coming from the 3rd brake light, however it WAS from the deck lid according to the techs. They said they removed the rear deck lid, put in new clips and insulation around the clips as well as around my sub and replaced a seatbelt retractor that was vibrating as well. NOW, there is NO RATTLEING AT ALL!! I AM ABSOLUTLY AMAZED that they actually got it taken care of because last time I brought the car in to them to have somthing check, I dind't feel like they did a thing, but they did this time and I AM HAPPY!
Old 02-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Glad to hear there is some progress in the rear rattles.
I had one car where I took the entire rear apart and It still rattled.
Then while someone was driving I pressed up hard on the rear windshield and the rattle was gone . Not quit sure how to fix that one besides having a glass shop remove it and reseal it and install new clips.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

My two stroke engine on one of my scooters is rattling at low RPMs. My friend and I took the thing completely apart and then put it back together. Was still rattling, think it might have been idling too slow. :p