Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 08:52 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattle

I have this rattle near the back headrests and speakers. It's really low and can only be heard or only occurs when the car moves really slow. I mean slow as in letting go of the brake and letting the car move without applying gas in either "R" or "D".
It sounds like something tapping.
Does anyone have this rattle?
Old 05-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a seat-belt bracket that is probably loose. My dealer contacted ACS and they gave him a procedure to fix it. After two attempts they had it right. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:12 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
I have this rattle near the back headrests and speakers. It's really low and can only be heard or only occurs when the car moves really slow. I mean slow as in letting go of the brake and letting the car move without applying gas in either "R" or "D".
You're kidding, right?

A low noise that can only be heard when you're moving less than 2 miles an hour in a perfectly quiet cockpit? Unless you've been attending lots of funerals, when on Earth would you hear this? Go drive 40 and turn the radio up to Level 3 and your problem is solved, whiner.

BJ
Old 05-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I6

Hey BJ it seems like you never have anything nice to say. I read most of the replies you posted and most of them have nothing to do with the subject. If you have no idea what the rattle is or what the problem is than don't post.
I had a 2k1 Maxima it had no rattles. My uncle has a 2004 Altima and it has no rattles even with it's cheap interior. I would expect better from "Acura".
I only have 1200 miles and rattles should not occur. I was not whinning. I am just curious what is the cause of this rattle. I come to this site because I am a enthusiast like many other members that frequent here.

"Unless you've been attending lots of funerals, when on Earth would you hear this? Go drive 40 and turn the radio up to Level 3 and your problem is solved, whiner."

When on earth would I hear this? You really are ignorant. I just said it in the first post. Go drive 40? Why would I drive 40 when i'm pulling out of my drive way?
It doesn't matter if it's a Kia or if it's a BMW, it shouldn't have rattles!
You BJ, don't care but a lot of members that come to this site do.
And no i'm not kidding, BJ.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

It doesn't matter if it's a Kia or if it's a BMW, it shouldn't have rattles.
Listen, if you have a rattle at 50 mph on smooth roads or a rattle going over tiny bumps at 30 mph I can see your issue as the majority of your driving is likely done there. But a rattle that you can only hear in situations that you never drive in? An annoyance as you pull out of your driveway once a day? Please.

This is not a legitimate complaint, it's not interesting, it's not funny. This is the white bread and mayonaise thread of the day. Congrats.

BJ
Old 05-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by boltjames
This is not a legitimate complaint, it's not interesting, it's not funny. This is the white bread and mayonaise thread of the day. Congrats.

BJ
I agree, the thread is not interesting or funny. But it IS legitimate. If there is an easy fix I'm sure an owner would want to know. If I had that rattle (and I actually noticed it), I would wonder if others have experienced the same.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Instructor

There was a thread on a rattle fix which involved taking off the grab handles and inserting foam on the underside of the headliner, right where it meets the plate used to mount the handles. This helped me.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

I had a similiar issue when I first got the car. I played around with the rear seat belts and the noise never came back.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I6

BJ, I didn't start this thread to amuse you or interest you. But you are easily amused.
A car moving slowly over smooth road and has a rattle is a legitimate complaint. A car moving fast over smooth road or bumpy road and has a rattle is also a legitimate complaint.

I thought all TL drivers were mature. I guess you BJ are the exception. Enthusiasts come to this site to learn more about their New TL and you just have to reply with a immature response.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I thought all TL drivers were mature. I guess you BJ are the exception. Enthusiasts come to this site to learn more about their New TL and you just have to reply with a immature response.
No, most of the TL drivers in this forum are under 29 years of age and are far from mature. I certainly am immature too, but that's my choosing.

That said, I'm a big fan and enthusiast of the new TL. It's a fantastic car. I've never driven a car that was completely silent. I've driven in S-Class Mercedes and 7-Series BMW's that had their rattles and squeaks. That's life. Cars are being made of lightweight and inexpensive plastics and composite materials so that you can get that extra horsepower, toys, and value price that you love so much. You can't have it both ways. Can't be a youngster hard Ferrari driver with the need for grandpa Rolls Royce cushyness. It's about acceptable trade offs.

Would you prefer a whisper quiet interior if it meant softer shocks, wallowy tires, and $2000 towards non-plastic materials and improved sound insulation? Would you be happy if these improvements added 300 pounds to the car and made it slow off the line?

I accept a few rattles because for $33k you can't touch leather, moonroof, DVD-A, XM, navigation, plood, 17" rims, aluminum trim, voice command, Bluetooth, Honda build quality, 270 HP, and all the other goodies you get for your money.

So, in short, it is indeed about maturity. It takes a mature person to comprehend the economics of the car's construction, features, and value. That same mature person should not be complaining about a sound that, apparently, is lower than a mousefart and only occurs on your driveway, which, unless it's 20 miles long, isn't a significant part of your daily commute.

The Big Mac is a terrific hamburger. You have a right to complain if the beef is missing, the cheese isn't melted, and the special sauce has gone sour. Your Big Mac lost two sesame seeds off the bun and you're all twisted. Very mature.

BJ
Old 05-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, God, the end might be near.

BJ, I have always respected your ability to rise above the petty BS replies and just keep flicking people off until they realize what you're really about and they start laughing along with you. Whereas I, being an unworthy and pale colleague (I can't say imitator because you and I were doing this independently long before the TL was a twinkle in Mr. Hakusaya Acura's eye) have tended to give in and try to explain myself. Your way is superior. Please don't start explaining yourself. It's demeaning and pointless. Those of us who think you're hilarious don't need to hear it. And the rest are too caught up in their overly serious, overly polite lives to understand. If you're not careful, you'll find yourself being censored as I was. Stick to your plan and rock on, brother.

To the rest of you People - In all sincerity, I have a job where I get to see very sick people every day. They have a hard time laughing because they are dying, because they are in pain, because they have lost hope. Their families are sometimes similarly afflicted. These are the real devils in our world ---> death, depression, pain, and despair.

For those of you who are healthy enough that your biggest problem in your life is the transmission or the headliner or the MIL in your BRAND NEW FUCKING CAR, here's my advice:

Praise God, remember how lucky you are, and laugh often. At everything. Including yourself.

Peace.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TLGator

Praise God, remember how lucky you are, and laugh often. At everything. Including yourself.
Ah, but if you want to laugh at yourself you've got to head over to "Ramblings". That's the place to be.

BJ
Old 05-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLGator
Oh, God, the end might be near.

BJ, I have always respected your ability to rise above the petty BS replies and just keep flicking people off until they realize what you're really about and they start laughing along with you. Whereas I, being an unworthy and pale colleague (I can't say imitator because you and I were doing this independently long before the TL was a twinkle in Mr. Hakusaya Acura's eye) have tended to give in and try to explain myself. Your way is superior. Please don't start explaining yourself. It's demeaning and pointless. Those of us who think you're hilarious don't need to hear it. And the rest are too caught up in their overly serious, overly polite lives to understand. If you're not careful, you'll find yourself being censored as I was. Stick to your plan and rock on, brother.

To the rest of you People - In all sincerity, I have a job where I get to see very sick people every day. They have a hard time laughing because they are dying, because they are in pain, because they have lost hope. Their families are sometimes similarly afflicted. These are the real devils in our world ---> death, depression, pain, and despair.

For those of you who are healthy enough that your biggest problem in your life is the transmission or the headliner or the MIL in your BRAND NEW FUCKING CAR, here's my advice:

Peace.
Not everyone has the correct sense of humor for BJ's sarcasm.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 AM
I6

Not everyone has the correct sense of humor for BJ's ignorance. I was not complaining about the rattle. I just wanted to know what's causing it. Is it so wrong? If it bothers you so much when someone posts about a rattle, the headliner, any problems, than don't come to this site.
And all this time I thought this site was for TL drivers to come and discuss their TL.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Safety Car

Not everyone has the correct sense of humor for BJ's ignorance. I was not complaining about the rattle. I just wanted to know what's causing it. Is it so wrong? If it bothers you so much when someone posts about a rattle, the headliner, any problems, than don't come to this site.
And all this time I thought this site was for TL drivers to come and discuss their TL.
dun get all distressed, i still think this site contains alot of good information for TL owners. recently its become more synical and sarcastic possibily from the repition of threads for similar topics. don't let BJ get to you, you know his personality so you can expect the comments he makes. remember this is an open forum and anyone is free to say what he wants including yourself. so if it bothers you so much just simply ignore it. i am sure others feel the same way as you when their post gets no real resolution.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:21 AM
I6

Your right caball88. This site does contain a lot of good information for TL owners.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't want to get into the pissing contest that all of these threads seem to become, but 6MTV6 has every right to post a question about a rattle and get legitimate answers back. If he sits in rush hour traffic everyday like I do... and the rattle only occurs when he's moving really slow... then it could be happening pretty frequently. If he wants to correct it, that's his prerogative and he deserves answers from people that actually have something constructive to say.

With that said, Boltjames... I'll be the first to admit that I appreciate your sense of humor and laugh at your sarcastic remarks, and I too enjoy witnessing the psychology of interaction in these forums (I liken you to Hannibal Lecter), but enough is enough. I visit this forum to get constructive input on improving my car and resolving any problems that may arise. If I want to see the type of banter that seems to be inevitable on this forum I'll watch South Park.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Rattle

I have a rear rattle too. I only hear it on bumpy roads or when the bass is turned up. I had someone sitting in the backseat and he believes it's coming from the XM antenna plate area. Mine occurs at any speed. I have only had my TL for 4 days now.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boltjames
Ah, but if you want to laugh at yourself you've got to head over to "Ramblings". That's the place to be.

BJ
Thanks, but I'll pass. I prefer to limit my time to the 3rd gen area, where there's nothing but pure car discussion, with no distractions.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:39 PM
I6

Thank you dseag2.

ANTHONY741: My rattle seems like it's coming from the passenger side rear speaker area. I know it's not the sub or the speakers causing it. I'm thinking it's probably the seat belt bracket like Norse396 mentioned. I'm just curious what's causing it.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Instructor

yeah now I have the rattle and reardeck buzz.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
100k miles club

to those who got their rattle in the back fixed, how long did it take. i left my car yesterday at the dealer and took them almost 2 hours to replicate it but they found it. now they don't know how to fix it so they kept the car overnight until this morning so they can call Acura's support to ask how to fix it. i called this afternoon and still nothing and i'm stuck with a ford focus since they don't have any loaners available i was sent to enterprise . now i told them i want my car back coz it's ridiculous that i have to drive a focus (lowest model possible of course) when i should be driving something equivalent. so i'll be picking her up tomorrow morning with the rattle unresolved and reschedule when they have Acura loaners available (either TSX or TL).

any guesses on average time this will inconvenience me? don't mind as much if i had a TL or at least a TSX